Just for Today

Options

Replies

• CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will be honest with myself.
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,410 Member
    Options
    Just for today: I will get my exercises and walking done early.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    There has been something on my mind for the last month or so, but I have been hesitant to write it for fear of the entire internet community rising up and calling me an idiot. It is a pretty obvious and simplistic idea, but one that has only recently occurred to me.

About a month ago, I downloaded another diet app onto my cell phone (sadly, I have several). The app suggested that I set a goal to lose 30 lbs in 6 months. I was horrified. I don't want to lose 30 lbs in 6 months! I want to lose 30 lbs this month! 30 lbs in 6 months? That is only 5 lbs a month! That is basically 1 lb a week! That isn't enough! I need to lose 5 lbs a week! As those exclamation points were racing through my head, it occurred to me that this has been my attitude since I first gained my weight. I know that I keep saying, Just for Today, but I realized that I want to lose 30 lbs TODAY. And failing to lose 30 lbs today or this week has led me to hang onto my weight, despite what I tell myself are my best efforts. I realized that telling myself that 6 months was too long to take to lose 30 lbs had not helped me lose the same 30 lbs in 2 years. My impatience is slowing me down. So I took the apps advice, almost. I set a goal to lose 42 lbs in 6 months. That is 7 lbs a month. I figure it was a compromise between the 5 that seemed too little and the 10 that seems unattainable. I am going to focus on those 7 lbs with all my might. I won't tell myself that 7 lbs is too small a goal. If I can lose 7 lbs, I can do anything. I don't think that I have explained this very well, things always make more sense in my mind than they do when I try to put it into words.

Just for Today: I will focus on the small and simple.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,298 Member
    Options
    There has been something on my mind for the last month or so, but I have been hesitant to write it for fear of the entire internet community rising up and calling me an idiot. It is a pretty obvious and simplistic idea, but one that has only recently occurred to me.

About a month ago, I downloaded another diet app onto my cell phone (sadly, I have several). The app suggested that I set a goal to lose 30 lbs in 6 months. I was horrified. I don't want to lose 30 lbs in 6 months! I want to lose 30 lbs this month! 30 lbs in 6 months? That is only 5 lbs a month! That is basically 1 lb a week! That isn't enough! I need to lose 5 lbs a week! As those exclamation points were racing through my head, it occurred to me that this has been my attitude since I first gained my weight. I know that I keep saying, Just for Today, but I realized that I want to lose 30 lbs TODAY. And failing to lose 30 lbs today or this week has led me to hang onto my weight, despite what I tell myself are my best efforts. I realized that telling myself that 6 months was too long to take to lose 30 lbs had not helped me lose the same 30 lbs in 2 years. My impatience is slowing me down. So I took the apps advice, almost. I set a goal to lose 42 lbs in 6 months. That is 7 lbs a month. I figure it was a compromise between the 5 that

seemed too little and the 10 that seems unattainable. I am going to focus on those 7 lbs with all my might. I won't tell myself that 7 lbs is too small a goal. If I can lose 7 lbs, I can do anything. I don't think that I have explained this very well, things always make more sense in my mind than they do when I try to put it into words.

Just for Today: I will focus on the small and simple.

Honey, it's easier to set SMALLER goals ! Plus smaller goals will turn INTO bigger goals! You can do this one pound at a time!
  • GrandmaJackie
    Options
    Just for today: I will hop on the treadmill later tonight! NO excuses!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will go forward with confidence.
  • RedRavn
    Options
    I like your philosophy...get through one day at a time...brings inspiration/motivation for tomorrow.
  • GrandmaJackie
    Options
    Just for today: I will realize how far I have came! :bigsmile:
  • cpanus
    Options
    Just for Today: I know what works and I will just keep doing it.
  • smileystar1904
    Options
    this a very powerful statement! i needed to hear this today!!! Thank you
  • cpanus
    Options
    Just for Today: I will be proud of how long I've maintained my weight loss instead of kicking myself because I can't seem to lose these last few pounds.
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    Just for today I will give thanks for my many blessings.
    Just for today I will not worry.
    Just for today I will not anger.
    Just for today I will do my work honestly.
    Just for today I will love and respect every living thing.
  • homesbyaurora
    Options
    Lets never give ourself permission to fail. Becausethats why one fails,because we give up or give ourself permission.
  • LRH64
    LRH64 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will make a plan for my food and my workout and I will complete both. Love this!!!!! Thanks for sharing.
  • GrandmaJackie
    Options
    Just for today: I WILL remember “The past is behind, learn from it. The future is ahead, prepare for it. The present is here, live it.” ~Thomas S. Monson

I WILL make today count! :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: I WILL remember “The past is behind, learn from it. The future is ahead, prepare for it. The present is here, live it.” ~Thomas S. Monson

I WILL make today count! :happy: :happy: :happy:

I'm so glad that you shared that quote! I llove quotes from Thomas S Monson. Such a wise man!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will live for Today!
  • cpanus
    Options
    Just for Today: I won't let doubts get in the way of what I need to do.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: Keep moving forward!

Just for today I will give thanks for my many blessings.
    Just for today I will not worry.
    Just for today I will not anger.
    Just for today I will do my work honestly.
    Just for today I will love and respect every living thing.
    :heart:
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will not give in to discouragement.