After 40...what's with the choice between face and body?!!!

Options

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I dont know how true that is... I think genetics plays a role in it also. I'll be 45 this summer (and yes thats me in my profile pic) and I think I look pretty good face-wise for a 45 year old woman.

You loom so pretty, strong_curves.
    Then again, I may be wrong here ...and some may even accuse me of "racial stereotyping" but I've always thought that people with dark skin age phenomenally well, on average.

I pretty much got in the habit of adding 10 years or so when trying to guess the age of an African-American and/or Asian person.

With us whites, you get more variation.
    From those who age horribly to those who age really well.

I think that people of African and Asian descent stay younger looking because they don't sunbathe, which is probably the worst possible thing that a young person can do for their future skin.
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Umm runnung doesn't impact your face. I am your age. And even at goal I am often told I look younger and I am a runner. Honestly, it sounds like you are struggling with being in your 40's.
    astrampe wrote: »
    Maybe you should stop hanging on to something someone said when you were 28 and go run or lift something heavy...The endorphins are awesome and makes you feel 30 years younger, despite being red faced and sweaty! :D

I HAVE been running and will actually stop doing it so often because it DOES affect the face in a negative way.
    I AM doing weights.

Feeling young is one thing, looking it is another.

Let me know how it goes when you feel awesome and energized one day, after plenty of sleep, water and everything nutritiously religious, and then you meet someone who tells you" are you OK? you look kind of tired".

So I don't think so.

• DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    We're all going to get old, sag, and have wrinkles. Our bodies will degrade whether we're thin or not. I plan to choose the healthy and fit body because that's what's going to carry me through the years best.

I find older women who are happy and active to be the most attractive. Yes, someone with more weight may have a plumper and more youthful looking face but they're still going to show signs of age and if they aren't fit then they will seem older in so many other ways.

As for cosmetic surgery it sounds like a losing battle against time but if you want to buy yourself a few years then go for it. That's a personal decision.
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Vixenmd1 wrote: »
    Umm runnung doesn't impact your face. I am your age. And even at goal I am often told I look younger and I am a runner. Honestly, it sounds like you are struggling with being in your 40's.

It might just be so. ;)

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hm. Didn't realize those bags under my eyes weren't wrinkles.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I dont know how true that is... I think genetics plays a role in it also. I'll be 45 this summer (and yes thats me in my profile pic) and I think I look pretty good face-wise for a 45 year old woman.

You loom so pretty, strong_curves.
    Then again, I may be wrong here ...and some may even accuse me of "racial stereotyping" but I've always thought that people with dark skin age phenomenally well, on average.

I pretty much got in the habit of adding 10 years or so when trying to guess the age of an African-American and/or Asian person.

With us whites, you get more variation.
    From those who age horribly to those who age really well.

I think that people of African and Asian descent stay younger looking because they don't sunbathe, which is probably the worst possible thing that a young person can do for their future skin.
    The main reason certain races tend to age better is that they have more melanin in the skin. The same thing that gives them a darker skin tone protects them from sun damage.
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hm. Didn't realize those bags under my eyes weren't wrinkles.

Nope.
    I am talking about the puffiness that collects right above a very pronounced tear trough that will run from the corner of your eye down towards your cheek bone.
    Those are NOT wrinkles. And some people don't develop them.
    My husband is 50 and he's got NONE of that.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Well...it turns out that after 40, when you lose weight, this also shows in your face and NOT in a good way. It ages you.

This is only true for some people. I follow a woman on YouTube who has lost 100 pounds and she looks fantastic.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I think exercise will improve your features naturally. It did for me.

Oh, years ago I was sitting in a meeting with a long-standing colleague and she smiled. Her entire face erupted in a roadmap of wrinkles, and I was inwardly appalled. I had a good think about it. She had accelerated her ageing through lifestyle (smoking and tanning) but her road was the same one I would be travelling one day. Can I be lovely and wrinkled too? I've had a decade to get used to the idea and I'm embracing it.

The alternative is to try and turn back the hands of time, and I suspect that is a never-ending search for a perfection long gone.

I am not sure why people keep talking about wrinkles - when wrinkles are the least offender when it comes to showing age.
    I have seen young people looking super youthful and who make A LOT of wrinkles on the face when they smile and even when they don't.
    Some people naturally create a lot of expression lines which will bring more permanent wrinkles as they age - but that is NOT what;s going to make them look old.

The loss of volume in the face, the slightly withery appearance of the skin and under eye changes in skin texture, including bags, are the true marks of looking old.

Wrinkles? Not at all.

They have injections now for that volume loss. Go get them. My friend in Arizona got them and is thrilled with the results.

• Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Also the knife is often a SUPER bad choice. So many people look really bad and unnatural after work on thier face. No thanks. I know my mom who is thinnish looks great at 70. My grandma who was super thin was stunning her whole life till she passed at 88. You start messing with your face and you could end up doing some real damage. I would say stay out of the plastic surgeons office and focus on being happy with you.
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Well...it turns out that after 40, when you lose weight, this also shows in your face and NOT in a good way. It ages you.

This is only true for some people. I follow a woman on YouTube who has lost 100 pounds and she looks fantastic.

Are you sure she didn't also have some interventions to the face? Do you know fur sure she disclosed everything on you tube? Also, how old is she?
    I know that if I did do some "discreet" interventions, I wouldn't advertise it.

"Look guys, I lost weight and my face looks phenomenal too, but don't despair, I would have looked haggard had I not run to the plastic surgeon's office to fix the effects of weight loss!!".

Also, if you lose 100 lbs in your 20's or even 30's, you won't have face problems - correct. But later - hard to believe all that weight loss will have no effects on the face.
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options
    Vixenmd1 wrote: »
    Also the knife is often a SUPER bad choice. So many people look really bad and unnatural after work on thier face. No thanks. I know my mom who is thinnish looks great at 70. My grandma who was super thin was stunning her whole life till she passed at 88. You start messing with your face and you could end up doing some real damage. I would say stay out of the plastic surgeons office and focus on being happy with you.

I agree. I have no intentions of going under any knife.
    But I am tempted to explore the fillers/laser tightening thing.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Are you sure she didn't also have some interventions to the face? Do you know fur sure she disclosed everything on you tube? Also, how old is she?

"Look guys, I lost weight and my face looks phenomenal too, but don't despair, I would have looked haggard had I not run to the plastic surgeon's office to fix the effects of weight loss!!".

Also, if you lose 100 lbs in your 20's or even 30's, you won't have face problems - correct. But later - hard to believe all that weight loss will have no effects on the face.

Well, she didn't disappear from YouTube for any length of time that I noticed but no, I can't guarantee that she had nothing done. If she did, it was done really well because I can't tell anything. She looks to be in her 40's.

It sounds like you're convinced that all of us over 40 are old and ugly. Whatever.

• AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    choose HEALTH!
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options
    Oh...what was with the oil-cleansing method again?

I had never read about it but have considered it on my own in the past because it sounds really good to me. Have always had normal-to-dry skin and love rich creams.

Is it this?

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm confused about all this.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Face vs Body? I pick brains every time!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Oh...what was with the oil-cleansing method again?

I had never read about it but have considered it on my own in the past because it sounds really good to me. Have always had normal-to-dry skin and love rich creams.

Is it this?

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

Yup, that's it. It's great. I recommend a blend of oils, but that's probably because I like buying different ones and trying them out.

I use a different blend for different seasons. In the summer, I need a less emollient blend, in the winter, I need a richer blend.

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Well, she didn't disappear from YouTube for any length of time that I noticed but no, I can't guarantee that she had nothing done. If she did, it was done really well because I can't tell anything. She looks to be in her 40's.

It sounds like you're convinced that all of us over 40 are old and ugly. Whatever.

Right? And those that are the "youthful and pretty" *obviously* had "work" done that they refuse to disclose. Sheesh, people all age differently. That is all.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    scottkjar wrote: »
    Face vs Body? I pick brains every time!

<3

Brains are good...sanity too!