After 40...what's with the choice between face and body?!!!

Options

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    scottkjar wrote: »
    Face vs Body? I pick brains every time!

Zombie.

;)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    OP, for some reason Google's not loading for me right now, otherwise I'd post links.

Google Crunchy Betty Oil Cleansing. She has more information on a wider range of oils plus a great page on trouble shooting and refining oil cleansing.

She does sell her own oil blend, so you'll see that mentioned, but her site is full of great info.
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

It sounds like you're convinced that all of us over 40 are old and ugly. Whatever.

Why did you come up with this? You are putting words in my mouth and reading wrong into what I say. This is a "no-no". :-)

Some people are fine with a more mature, aging look and would not lose a second of sleep over looking "mature". In fact, if you go back to the recent past, the mature, take-yourself-seriously look was highly coveted. In the 1940's and 1950's women in their 20's sought to look like 40 yo women. It made them feel like "true ladies".

But some of us, less "well-adjusted" people, are not.
    All of us have histories behind, including psychological histories.

As someone who has been overweight since the age of 15 (on and off) and has always felt that her only physical asset was the face ...well...I am less than happy to be moving onto the "mature" look.

Now that I finally have a nice body and enough "dressing wisdom" to know what the heck to put on me (as my mother left me supper frumpy and clueless until I figured it out on my own later in life)...I would not mind looking nice for the first time ever - head to toe.

Yet now, here's the body but the face is throwing a bit of a tantrum.
    I just don't like this. And I wish I had figured out this weight thing longer time ago so I could wear nice clothes and the jazz ON a young face.

This doesn't mean I think all women after 40 are ugly. :-)
    I speak for myself, in the context of my own standards.

So come on.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I've gotten comments that I look younger as I lose weight. My skin is more clear and smoother and I'm also lucky with genetics that I have very few wrinkles and a simple cream helps hide those to a point. I'm 47.

I really worried because my mom got some big jowls happening when she lost a lot of weight....but she was also in her 60s, so maybe that was it. So far, my whole face is shrinking as I lose.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    kzdf4d4apegl.jpg
    yjuagfvlybjm.jpg

1st Nov 2007 ((35yrs) approx 14 stone
    2nd post workout April 2014 (42yrs) approx 11 stone

I actually posted these to show how much my face has aged but its not as bad as I thought!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Oh...what was with the oil-cleansing method again?

I had never read about it but have considered it on my own in the past because it sounds really good to me. Have always had normal-to-dry skin and love rich creams.

Is it this?

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

Yes, that is it. You don't have to use castor oil or sunflower oil though--olive works great.

I'm your age, I've lost nearly 100 pounds and my face is just fine. Yours probably is too. Stop worrying so much!

Is your issue just bags under the eyes? I can't see how that has much to do with weight--it's genetic. You can lessen the appearance quite a bit with makeup.

Maybe you should post a picture of your face so that we can see what you are talking about.
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options
    scottkjar wrote: »
    Face vs Body? I pick brains every time!

Sure. This is what I've been busy with my whole life - no wonder I ended up with weight and now face issues too. :D

After endless years of grad school, I have learned a lesson or two about HOW MUCH brains really help women in life....and how "the more things change the more they stay the same". :-)

• wisdomfromyou
    Options
    OP, for some reason Google's not loading for me right now, otherwise I'd post links.

Google Crunchy Betty Oil Cleansing. She has more information on a wider range of oils plus a great page on trouble shooting and refining oil cleansing.

She does sell her own oil blend, so you'll see that mentioned, but her site is full of great info.

Thank you, mamapeach! :-)
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yup, volume loss in the cheeks/under eyes sure enough happens with age. Extra fat can mask it. You can either live with it, gain weight back, or get a little filler (which is easy to do and quite common these days). Just don't overdo it.
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options
    Someone sent me some nice words privately and it made me realize I probably came across here a bit more worried than I actually am.

I have been asking about this issue in a light-hearted manner although it may not have appeared quite so.

In reality, I am less worried/anxious about it than I come across.

Sure, I would not mind at all to figure out a way back to the plumpy skin bursting with collagen I had only 3-4 years ago, before weight loss.

But as a hypochondriac-in-chief :-), I continue to keep in mind that the only beauty I really need is the beauty in medical tests and that as long as those come out good, I will continue to have the luxury to fuss over fun vanity stuff - which is a thing that does NOT matter, at the end of the day.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Well...between some hypochondria episodes and just changing eating habits over the past two years, my weight loss journey has been going quite well.

In the process I discovered I must have a pretty darn good metabolism since I used to eat industrial quantities of food and had only become overweight, never obese; and once I started eating right and some exercise, the weight came off quite easily. It has always been like this.

Even now at 42 I realized I have no problems losing weight as long as I don't binge.

All this is great...except - hmm...someone has recently showed me how to take "selfies".
    I had never done that (both the name and the concept are kind of annoying to me) plus I just haven't had that many pictures of myself in the past year or so. I mainly photograph the kids.

So I recently took a series of selfies and I was terrified to admit I am starting to think of the services of a plastic surgeon for the first time in my life. I did some frantic Googling on weight loss and "face loss"...and it looks like it's a real issue. Apparently, women after 40 kind of have to choose between body and face ...or choose "body+ plastic surgeon".

Do I look like I lost weight compared to older pics? Sure.

The weight loss seems to have made my face look "finer", more "delicate"...but guess what? Also older.
    And that really...REALLY pushed my buttons. My mom has always had youthful, plumpy skin but that's because she's always been overweight, even obese at times.

I thought I wanted to lose just a few more pounds maybe 5-7, to get rid of that last bit of fat on stomach, hips etc; but when I saw my selfies I realized it's time for a halt with the weight loss if that means losing my face to a "finer"/"more sophisticated yet "older" look.

I had never had a great body but I always felt my face was a bit of an asset.
    Nothing breath-taking but I'd always felt my face was "pretty". I was easily able to accept deficits in the body department (which I had since the age of 14)...but in the face? I find it really hard as this was my trick in the "one trick pony".

For the first time ever I see pronounced bags and a bit of loose, crepey skin under my eyes, loss of volume in the cheeks...darn signs of aging.
    And I had NONE of that until less than a year ago.

You may argue "well...time has just passed...what do you expect?".
    But these signs kicked in very abruptly, literally overnight; so it makes me think it's not just natural aging but a lot must have to do with the weight loss coupled with the panic episodes over fear of illness that lasted for a few months (huge stress).

So what do I do now? Go to the plastic surgeon for "little adjustments? Put some weight back on to get back some plumpy contour in the face? Live with it and accept that lower weight is better for health even if that means a less than perfectly plumpy, bursting-with-collagen/fat, youthful face?

Look at this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1382603/Face-facts-Losing-weight-age-thank-Nigella-standing-upholstered.html

My goodness!

What's the solution? Any input appreciated.

With 45 # plus gone, my face looks my age, or about 15 years older looking now than I looked a year ago. Those pictures in the daily mail pretty much reflect my "before" and "after" face. I don't love that. But I do love being able to walk 9 miles in a day, lifting heavy stuff easily, not being on any medication at ALL (which is not that usual for a person in her middle 60s), wearing single-digit clothing sizes. I am gonna look awesome for my age in 20 years :smiley: and one year ago at this time I would have said that I am gonna be dead before that 20 year marker.

OP, what you are experiencing with regard to the face that looks back at you in selfies is something most of us experience ... nature bats last.
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options
    kzdf4d4apegl.jpg
    yjuagfvlybjm.jpg

I actually posted these to show how much my face has aged but its not as bad as I thought!

You look just as nice after weight loss too - but how old are you?

If before 40, the weight loss changes are generally much more forgiving to the skin.
  • Gerber24
    Gerber24 Posts: 1
    Options
    For someone in my fifties, I TOTALLY understand the origin of this thread.

The face can age quicker than the body, and if you feel younger than look then why shouldn't you try to improve that?

How many of us colour our hair? Why? Surely we should all go grey gracefully, regardless of our age? We bleach our teeth, we have fake tans, fake nails.... there are many treatments on the market to enhance our looks and make us feel nice and good about ourselves... and age doesn't figure in our decisions. We do it because it makes us feel/ look better.

I think you should do exactly what you want to do, be that creams, fillers, botox or surgery.
    Should you decide to go for surgery, then I for one applaude you for making a big personal decision and one that is still a little 'taboo' here in the UK .... and on this site judging by some of the comments here :-)

Some will judge you, for trying to 'turn the clock back', or not 'facing up to being in your forties', and all those other other somewhat judgemental/ negative cliches. My view is, we all want to feel good about ourselves, and feeling good means addressing our physical, psycological and emotional needs.

So if you face is having a 'moment' I say.... take the face to the place that will make it 'happy' again!!

Bon Chance!!
  • MynameisJerryB
    MynameisJerryB Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I agree with aging gracefully. Nothing looks more freakish to me than someone who's had face surgery and no longer has the lines and wrinkles that someone of that age group should have. It just doesn't look right, but this is just my opinion. In the end do what you feel you need to do to be happy with yourself.
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options
    Gerber24 wrote: »
    For someone in my fifties, I TOTALLY understand the origin of this thread.

The face can age quicker than the body, and if you feel younger than look then why shouldn't you try to improve that?

How many of us colour our hair? Why? Surely we should all go grey gracefully, regardless of our age? We bleach our teeth, we have fake tans, fake nails.... there are many treatments on the market to enhance our looks and make us feel nice and good about ourselves... and age doesn't figure in our decisions. We do it because it makes us feel/ look better.

I think you should do exactly what you want to do, be that creams, fillers, botox or surgery.
    Should you decide to go for surgery, then I for one applaude you for making a big personal decision and one that is still a little 'taboo' here in the UK .... and on this site judging by some of the comments here :-)

Some will judge you, for trying to 'turn the clock back', or not 'facing up to being in your forties', and all those other other somewhat judgemental/ negative cliches. My view is, we all want to feel good about ourselves, and feeling good means addressing our physical, psycological and emotional needs.

So if you face is having a 'moment' I say.... take the face to the place that will make it 'happy' again!!

Bon Chance!!

I don't think I will ever have surgery unless things get dramatic over time (maybe) - which they are far from right now.
    I am afraid of anaesthesia or un-natural results, so no way.

I did not know anything about other "smaller guns" such as fillers or laser treatments because I have always had very nice skin and never cared until the recent little issues, post weight loss.
    So I have read a bit about these lately and if all they involve is an injection pinch and very low to no risk of un-natural or permanent look, the heck, I am all for it. Cost can be an issue too though.

And I completely agree with the comparison with other cosmetic interventions people do routinely. From teeth to hair etc.

I think interventions to the skin are still seen as "unorthodox" because most involve the knife and this is more dangerous, in and of itself, compared to hair coloring or teeth whitening or teeth replacing.

As said before, as long as we all stay healthy, we will all enjoy the luxury of fussing over nice bodies and nice faces here on these boards - and have fun, while at it.

You DO NOT want to know what it feels like to hang out on forums such as "anxietyzone.com", in the Hypochondria section, let alone on forums where people diagnosed with cancer offer each other support.
    Those are dark, dark, scary places. THIS is fun. Remember that.

So I always say: "Thank you, Lord, for giving me another day when I have the luxury to fuss and "meow-meaow" over "wrinkles" (or whatever) and a "tight body".
    This IS a blessing, let's not forget that.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    kzdf4d4apegl.jpg
    yjuagfvlybjm.jpg

If before 40, the weight loss changes are generally much more forgiving to the skin.

It says she is 42 in the second picture.
  • wisdomfromyou
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I agree with aging gracefully. Nothing looks more freakish to me than someone who's had face surgery and no longer has the lines and wrinkles that someone of that age group should have. It just doesn't look right, but this is just my opinion. In the end do what you feel you need to do to be happy with yourself.

I agree with that. As in "Joan Rivers" (RIP).

BUT: when you end up having some issues that many people in your age range naturally don't have, and you could easily look perfectly normal and beautiful without them, then why not?
    In the 40's, skin can still look perfectly smooth and natural.

When you are 80 and your skin is still plump and perky, bursting with supposed collagen - then yeah, it's a bit freaky.

As for men, most I have seen look clearly better with a more mature, slightly wrinkled look.
    Too much "puff" and perkiness on a guy's face screams "immaturity" and even "non-attractiveness" to many of us, women. :-)
    At least to me, Never found young guys too attractive, not even when I was 18.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

I agree with that. As in "Joan Rivers" (RIP).

BUT: when you end up having some issues that many people in your age range naturally don't have, and you could easily look perfectly normal and beautiful without them, then why not?
    In the 40's, skin can still look perfectly smooth and natural.

When you are 80 and your skin is still plump and perky, bursting with supposed collagen - then yeah, it's a bit freaky.

Anyway, 40 is the new 30 and I wouldn't mind looking it :)

• Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

It sounds like you're convinced that all of us over 40 are old and ugly. Whatever.

Why did you come up with this? You are putting words in my mouth and reading wrong into what I say. This is a "no-no". :-)

Some people are fine with a more mature, aging look and would not lose a second of sleep over looking "mature". In fact, if you go back to the recent past, the mature, take-yourself-seriously look was highly coveted. In the 1940's and 1950's women in their 20's sought to look like 40 yo women. It made them feel like "true ladies".

But some of us, less "well-adjusted" people, are not.
    All of us have histories behind, including psychological histories.

As someone who has been overweight since the age of 15 (on and off) and has always felt that her only physical asset was the face ...well...I am less than happy to be moving onto the "mature" look.

Now that I finally have a nice body and enough "dressing wisdom" to know what the heck to put on me (as my mother left me supper frumpy and clueless until I figured it out on my own later in life)...I would not mind looking nice for the first time ever - head to toe.

Yet now, here's the body but the face is throwing a bit of a tantrum.
    I just don't like this. And I wish I had figured out this weight thing longer time ago so I could wear nice clothes and the jazz ON a young face.

This doesn't mean I think all women after 40 are ugly. :-)
    I speak for myself, in the context of my own standards.

So come on.

I think what you're saying is that you feel like with your new weight loss, your face has aged ahead of you?

But this: ... always felt that her only physical asset was the face makes me think that in the past your only value was your face. Ouch.
    As someone who has always had dark circles under the eye (make-up counter ladies think I should be wearing purple eyeshadow - NOPE. Now I look like I have a black eye.),
    I think that your weight loss is just revealing your actual face. When you were heavier, your "pretty face" was all that you thought you had going for you.
    How many times do we hear "she has such a pretty face, if only she lost weight..."? It sounds like you have bought into this. ~You~ have control over whether you like your face.
    If you like it "plumper" then yes, you can stop losing weight and deal with the same issues you've had since you were 15, and hold your head high that you continue to have your "only physical asset" of your face.

I has sads.
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options
    kzdf4d4apegl.jpg
    yjuagfvlybjm.jpg

It says she is 42 in the second picture.

Ah. Got it. She looks very nice.