Eliminating bread and rice?

Options
I'm a starter and I've heard a lot of people say they stopped eating rice and bread, while others said that you need it, and now I'm confused. Besides common sense of moderation, do you really think eliminating bread and rice from my diet will help a lot?
Don't make fun of me :p

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Nothing to make fun of - it is a common misconception with all that "low carb" nonsense floating around. Those things won't hurt you in the slightest. They *can* be high in calories, so obviously watch out for that, but otherwise they are just food.
  • shapenerfiterratii
    shapenerfiterratii Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    But does it help to remove them from your diet?
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with rice or bread

just fit them into your calorie goal
  • eseviour1981
    Options
    Personally I did this, along with pasta, while I was losing weight, and I'm now slowly incorporating them back. I'm trying to go for brown rice and pasta instead of white, since the high processing that white flour and white rice goes does strip some of the nutritional value. As for bread, I've switched from white to a flaxseed flatbread. It's actually a little higher in calories per slice, but much higher in fiber and omega 3s.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

Help what? It neither helps nor hurts. However if you like these things, and deprive yourself of them, then you are more likely to "snap" and binge on them later.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've done the "eat this, don't eat that type diets"....and now here I am back again. Now I'm just making lifestyle changes because that is what will help me keep the weight from coming back (again).

If low carb, or no bread and no rice are changes you can make permanently then that will work for you. Your weight loss plan (and future maintenance) should fit you.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It will depending on your goals -- let's say white bread while losing weight won't help it will get you full yes ,but (for like 45 minutes then you will be hungry again ) now if you eat some wheat bread it will keep you fuller for a longer time.
  • shapenerfiterratii
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Help what? It neither helps nor hurts. However if you like these things, and deprive yourself of them, then you are more likely to "snap" and binge on them later.

Thank you!
  • shapenerfiterratii
    Options
    vfit10 wrote: »
    It will depending on your goals -- let's say white bread while losing weight won't help it will get you full yes ,but (for like 45 minutes then you will be hungry again ) now if you eat some wheat bread it will keep you fuller for a longer time.

Isn't wheat bread higher in calories though?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

It's not just about the calorie count. Wheat bread will be more filling than white because it retains more protein and fiber....same with brown rice (vs. white...yucky). When you reduce your overall calories it becomes more important to "get the most bang" for your calorie buck.
  • eseviour1981
    Options

Yes, probably (I haven't checked the exact numbers), but as has been mentioned above, it's more productive to think about what changes will fit your lifestyle long term, and to consider the overall nutritional value of what you're eating, rather than just numbers of calories. For example, how much of it is carbs, protein, fiber etc? White bread really has little other than carbs, while wheat bread has more fiber, so even though it may be higher in calories, you'll feel full for longer and so need to eat less of it.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Are you trying to lose weight, or feel better? You could always try to remove them from your diet temporarily and see if it makes a difference. (i.e. do you eat healthier, do you feel better, does it make it easier to stay within your calorie goal, etc.)

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Isn't white bread made from wheat?
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

It's not just about the calorie count. Wheat bread will be more filling than white because it retains more protein and fiber....same with brown rice (vs. white...yucky). When you reduce your overall calories it becomes more important to "get the most bang" for your calorie buck.
    indeed ! :)

• shapenerfiterratii
    edited April 2015
    Options

Are you trying to lose weight, or feel better? You could always try to remove them from your diet temporarily and see if it makes a difference. (i.e. do you eat healthier, do you feel better, does it make it easier to stay within your calorie goal, etc.)

Makes sense, thanks.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    If you love it and can make it fit, go for it. I prefer double veggies and meat to a serving of rice, but I wouldn't say that I "cut it out of my diet".
  • shapenerfiterratii
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

indeed ! :)

It makes more sense now, thank you all.
  • hypatiaswan
    hypatiaswan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    you need simple carbs like rice and bread to fuel exercise and workouts and to recover from same. If you're working out or lifting, you want your body to burn carbs so you want to have carbs available (And if you are NOT lifting or training along with your nutritional changes, then YOU SHOULD BE). Supplying your body with enough carbs will help your body spare muscle tissue as fuel during your workouts. Many athletes find that cutting out grains and trying to get by on veggies and fruit for their carbs hurts their workout performance as well. Those things are not dense enough to fuel hard workouts. Personally, I fuel with simple carbs like rice and bread before and after workouts and then lay off them for the rest of the time and stick to veggies, fruits etc. In general, whole grains are much better for your body than are processed grains, but they are also digested slower. So overall, cutting out grains altogether decreases athletic performance and usually lessons the load you will be able to handle in your workouts. Ultimately, this would mean you build less muscle and probably burn more muscle - which sucks. ON top of that, trying to cut out these simple carbs is pretty hard and usually results in the ping pong effect. People can do it for awhile, but most end up falling off the wagon because such a low carb diet is just not sustainable for "life." This is the problem with diets like Paleo or Whole 30. They can be sustained for 30 days and then people blow up. Most people who do these no-grain diets do them "80%" or they will add in a "cheat" day...

If you want a ruling on whether cutting out these simple carbs is "good" or "bad" - I say "bad." You'll harpoon your efforts to build/preserve muscle which ultimately means a decrease in your metabolism - not to mention that your performance will suck and you will feel like crap.
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread and rice, I just eat less of it than I did before.