Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Stbarber1 wrote: »
    Open forum I can pop in where I chose and offer support to someone, just as you pop in and ridicule, own it.

You very clearly attacked my way of eating this was your passive aggressive statement

"How dare you disagree with my low carb ways, I'll post in our group that ignores science, you meanies".

Implying my group ignores science, or that low carb ways are something to be looked down upon by the scientific community.

Don't back peddle now.

You badger people for science, research, science, research. Please tell me again I must've missed it, what is your scientific background, where did you study? University of Google, by chance?

You missed the boat on that one. When I mimic what you would sound like it isn't to bash low carb, it's to bash the mentality that people have when they go about promoting low carb as the way while never fully getting into the science. It's the pseudo science crowd that's the issue. Don't pretend like you don't know where you fall. I know the people in the little group and most of them are a joke. There are a few people on here that follow low carb that know there stuff including 1 girl that is on her game and even she laughs at the nonsense that's preached. The larger crowd ruins it for the ones that actually know what they are talking about.

You've heard of the University of Google? Awesome place it was. Good times.

There it is again, calling people a joke because you don't believe they know enough. The science behind it is very clear and easy to understand. As well as easily researchable by anyone who chooses to educate themselves. I've gone through several stages in learning from vast resources while working towards my degree in nutrition. And hope those who really are looking for help will research further than accepting anything as gospel from an internet chat room.

Look at you....degree title dropping. Nutrition! Is that kind of like someone saying "Do you know who I am?"

Not at all. You said don't pretend you don't know where you fall in the pseudo science crowd. You're right I know exactly where I fall and I definitely wouldn't be paying for further studies in the field if I was going to just believe whatever I read online.

Go, research, learn, expand your knowledge. You'll be amazed at the information you can find from credible sources when you're not so busy attacking everyone you disagree with.
  • shapenerfiterratii
    shapenerfiterratii Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I should smack my face or burst out laughing ahah
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - the right amount of bread and rice is the amount that allows you to to stay in your calorie goal and also hit your micro/macro goal….

• ndj1979
    Options
    jcook0716 wrote: »
    I got rid of white bread, hamburger buns etc. But i do eat some mulitgrain and whole wheat breads (not much). I try to limit pasta, white rice etc (and when i do eat it i try to get brown rice or whole wheat pasta) . Seems like i lose more consistently when i limit carbs somewhat. But everyones body is different.

that is because you have restricted calorie dense foods for lower calorie foods..

carbs has nothing to do with it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm going to get a lot of flak here, but don't blame me...blame the research. :-) ...all I ask is, please be open minded and find the evidence (pubmed is a good place). If you have opposing evidence to support your claim that rice and bread etc. should be consumed (often), then please put it forward. I'm not against such claims, I just go with evidence.

I argue that cutting out (or better, limiting) bread, rice and pasta, is exactly what you SHOULD be doing (along with other CHO that are toward the simpler GI spectrum). There is a lot of connected reasons, but I will try to keep this as succinct as possible so as not to bore you:

White bread, rice, pasta and others are relatively simple carbohydrates (CHO). There is a very strong correlation between CHO and inflammatory diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes type 2, strokes, alzheimer's and others.

When you eat simpler CHO there is a huge spike in your blood glucose levels. To control this and utilise the glucose as energy, the body (pancreas) releases insulin. This is normal and fine. But, chronically high levels of blood glucose and therefore insulin, due to regular CHO intake will cause inflammation. For example, overtime the endothelial linings of the blood vessels of the heart become damaged. This can result in hardening of the arteries/narrowing of the arteries/ blood clots/stroke, among others. The evidence for this is overwhelming. And you don't have to be overweight to have inflammatory diseases!

From the brief evidence above, I would therefore argue that you SHOULD limit or cut out bread, rice and pasta...plain table sugar and everything associated with it, should certainly be out of your diet! But (there is a but) on a personal level there are far worse things you could be eating, like eating McDonald or pizza hut every night. So in moderation, as part of a healthy lifestyle rice and pasta are probably fine. Personally I'm not sure about the bread, but I do profess, freshly cooked bread smells and tastes divine. Just keep it a treat.

What to eat instead of CHO? ...well don't cut out CHO just limit them. Swap the rest with fat, protein and vegetables. Two years ago, the country of Sweden lit-reviewed 16,000 studies on human diets. They found no connections between fatty foods...like pure fat or red meat...and heart disease.

They also found that low CHO and high fat diets decrease the bad cholesterol and increases the good cholesterol. They even suggest that high fat and protein diets are the best thing to lose weight.

Sweden has now become the first country to advise high fat/protein, low carb diets as part of their national dietary guidelines. Interestingly, most Swedish people had that type of diet anyway, which could illuminate why only 14% of their nation is obese vs 1/3 of the USA.

Will USA etc follow suit? well...from hereon its all about politics.

OK, that was pretty long...I need to get out more :-)

You're unlikely to get an honest open dialogue regarding this in here. There are several members who spend their days trolling these forums to attack and ridicule others opinions. If you would like to join a group of individuals who can intelligently debate topics like this without being put down and called names, check out my group.

Take Care!

LOL so go burry your head in the sand where you can talk ad hominen about low carb and how magical it is without any other debate or input….

how open minded of you ….

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    You either love me or hate me.

There are also balanced people out there who don't have so strong feelings towards strangers on internet, and who can just see and evaluate your vices and virtues, strengths and weaknesses, like everyone else has...

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Have a wonderful day!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease and eat LESS bread because it's expensive. Otherwise, moderation
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    @MrM27 its a public group, you're welcome to join if you offer intelligent conversation

Why don't you put your thoughts here? Why do we have to join a low carb group?

I have
    It's not a low carb group
    You don't
    The only thing you've posted prior to complaining about members was about something being more complex than something else that is complex. Not much of an opinion.

So tell me, do you agree with everything that member said that you told to join your group?

I welcome thoughtful conversation from those I agree and disagree with.

I'm asking you if you agree or disagree with the post that the member made?

Never been to Sweden. I couldn't tell you what percentage of their population is obese.

He is entitled to have whatever thoughts he chooses to on a topic.

So you have absolutely no opinion on any of the other information that had nothing to do with Sweeden? None at all? You can't say if you disagree with it or that you agree with it?

I find Sweden's social and educational policies to be ethical and long-term goal oriented for a healthy society.

Not sure about obesity rates, but SWEDISH BIKINI TEAM, YO!!!!!!

I can recommend a series of novels by a Swedish guy named Vilhelm Moberg, about Swedish immigration to the US. They were quite interesting.

Also, Smiles of a Summer Night is a very fun movie, although not one of the most famous Bergman films (at least not that I know of, I'm not really a movie buff). Also, the source material for Sondheim's A Little Night Music.

Pretty sure bread was eaten in both, also.

Not sure about Swedish culture, but the Danish film Babette's Last Feast is a FANTASTIC thematic exploration of moralized "clean eating" vs. mindful sensual appreciation of food.

I actually had remembered that that film or the story was set in Sweden (wrongly), and spent 5 minutes or so trying to find a Swedish connection anyway so I could mention it, so I'm glad you did!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    To MrM27
    White bread is not a complex carb. It has been stripped of most of its nutrients and then refortified.

What does that have to do with it being a complex vs. simple carb?
    Whole grain bread would be considered a complex carb. It is nutrient and fiber dense whereas white bread is not.

Whether whole grain bread or brown rice are "nutrient dense" is debatable (although unlike fruit but like potato chips they ARE complex carbs!). I'm not anti whole grains (I'm not anti much, though), and have been (off and on) trying to include more grains in my diet since there are positive health benefits associated with them (although I suspect its more correlative than causative), but this indicates the problem with the definition of terms like "nutrient dense." The main thing that whole grains add is fiber and (for many) satisfaction and satiation. (I'm just not that into grains, other than oatmeal and in pasta form and even with pasta I mostly like it as a vehicle for some "nutrient-dense" sauce. This is purely a personal preference thing, not diet advice.)
  • moctezumacrys
    moctezumacrys Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you eat alot of bread and rice, just try to minimize days you have it.

Anything in excess is bad.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    If you eat alot of bread and rice, just try to minimize days you have it.

Anything in excess is bad.

so bread once a day, seven times a week is bad, because excess???
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I'm a starter and I've heard a lot of people say they stopped eating rice and bread, while others said that you need it, and now I'm confused. Besides common sense of moderation, do you really think eliminating bread and rice from my diet will help a lot?
    Don't make fun of me :p

Both are Carbs and you need carbs in moderation for fuel - to fuel your workouts.

• nnekamaduka50
    Options
    Wholemeal bread, pasta and whole grain rice is a substitute I have made. White rice and white bread has extremely low nutritional value and turns very quickly into sugar in your system.
  • fitnesia
    fitnesia Posts: 21
    Options
    Ugh y'all quit the arguing :s