Eliminating bread and rice?

Options

Replies

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Serious question:
    What is a complex carb and what is a simple carb? Google returns only broscience...

Also, I don't care if simple or complex, apples suck.
    Tatarataa wrote: »
    another option would be to use aubergine slices as lasagna plate substitute
    oh dear. I have made a lasagne with aubergine. Never again. I actually think aubergines are one of those things that shouldn't be consumed. (...)
    What? Eggplants are one of the few vegetables that are actually fit for human consumption. They soak up fat like crazy. Moussaka, zacusca... even just roasted eggplant mixed with oil is good.
  • Allgoingtomakeit
    Allgoingtomakeit Posts: 35
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm going to get a lot of flak here, but don't blame me...blame the research. :-) ...all I ask is, please be open minded and find the evidence (pubmed is a good place). If you have opposing evidence to support your claim that rice and bread etc. should be consumed (often), then please put it forward. I'm not against such claims, I just go with evidence.

I argue that cutting out (or better, limiting) bread, rice and pasta, is exactly what you SHOULD be doing (along with other CHO that are toward the simpler GI spectrum). There is a lot of connected reasons, but I will try to keep this as succinct as possible so as not to bore you:

White bread, rice, pasta and others are relatively simple carbohydrates (CHO). There is a very strong correlation between CHO and inflammatory diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes type 2, strokes, alzheimer's and others.

When you eat simpler CHO there is a huge spike in your blood glucose levels. To control this and utilise the glucose as energy, the body (pancreas) releases insulin. This is normal and fine. But, chronically high levels of blood glucose and therefore insulin, due to regular CHO intake will cause inflammation. For example, overtime the endothelial linings of the blood vessels of the heart become damaged. This can result in hardening of the arteries/narrowing of the arteries/ blood clots/stroke, among others. The evidence for this is overwhelming. And you don't have to be overweight to have inflammatory diseases!

From the brief evidence above, I would therefore argue that you SHOULD limit or cut out bread, rice and pasta...plain table sugar and everything associated with it, should certainly be out of your diet! But (there is a but) on a personal level there are far worse things you could be eating, like eating McDonald or pizza hut every night. So in moderation, as part of a healthy lifestyle rice and pasta are probably fine. Personally I'm not sure about the bread, but I do profess, freshly cooked bread smells and tastes divine. Just keep it a treat.

What to eat instead of CHO? ...well don't cut out CHO just limit them. Swap the rest with fat, protein and vegetables. Two years ago, the country of Sweden lit-reviewed 16,000 studies on human diets. They found no connections between fatty foods...like pure fat or red meat...and heart disease.

They also found that low CHO and high fat diets decrease the bad cholesterol and increases the good cholesterol. They even suggest that high fat and protein diets are the best thing to lose weight.

Sweden has now become the first country to advise high fat/protein, low carb diets as part of their national dietary guidelines. Interestingly, most Swedish people had that type of diet anyway, which could illuminate why only 14% of their nation is obese vs 1/3 of the USA.

Will USA etc follow suit? well...from hereon its all about politics.

OK, that was pretty long...I need to get out more :-)
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    The only answer is moderation. Eat what your macros allow and ENJOY =D Food is good.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sweden has now become the first country to advise high fat/protein, low carb diets as part of their national dietary guidelines.

No, they did not - that never happened. Which puts your next sentence....

...only 14% of their nation is obese...

...into an entirely different light since the average Swedish diet is in fact 50%+ carbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm a starter and I've heard a lot of people say they stopped eating rice and bread, while others said that you need it, and now I'm confused. Besides common sense of moderation, do you really think eliminating bread and rice from my diet will help a lot?
    Don't make fun of me :p

You don't need it...nor do you need to eliminate it unless you want to. I personally prefer whole grain/seed breads to white and brown rice to white, etc...but it's a personal preference that has as much to do with taste as it does nutritional content.
  • goddessheatherr
    goddessheatherr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    'Good' carbs are good for you especially after a work out, brown rice and 100% whole wheat bread. Make sure the label says exactly that.
  • Allgoingtomakeit
    Allgoingtomakeit Posts: 35
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Sweden has now become the first country to advise high fat/protein, low carb diets as part of their national dietary guidelines.

...into an entirely different light since the average Swedish diet is in fact 50%+ carbs.

I stand corrected, regarding their national guidelines. Learn something new every day ;-)

But their 16,000 lit review did take place and their findings were positive for high fat/protein low carb diets.

Where did you get the % for their 50% carb based diet? im not refuting you...generally interested.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I have changed to whole wheat bread. I don't like brown rice though. I just measure the servings to make sure I don't get too many calories of it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

I stand corrected, regarding their national guidelines. Learn something new every day ;-)

But their 16,000 lit review did take place and their findings were positive for high fat/protein low carb diets.

Where did you get the % for their 50% carb based diet? im not refuting you...generally interested.

Stats from United Nations FAO.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Serious question:
    What is a complex carb and what is a simple carb? Google returns only broscience...

Also, I don't care if simple or complex, apples suck.
    Tatarataa wrote: »
    another option would be to use aubergine slices as lasagna plate substitute
    oh dear. I have made a lasagne with aubergine. Never again. I actually think aubergines are one of those things that shouldn't be consumed. (...)
    What? Eggplants are one of the few vegetables that are actually fit for human consumption. They soak up fat like crazy. Moussaka, zacusca... even just roasted eggplant mixed with oil is good.
    A simple carb has only one type of sugar. That sugar can be a monosaccharide, like glucose or fructose, or it can be a disaccharide, like sucrose, better known as table sugar which combines glucose with fructose. Complex carbs are usually polysaccharides: long chains of sugar molecules
    Thanks.

I guess simple carbs might be easier to digest, I don't know. Doesn't seem very significant, not sure why I keep hearing about it. For the record, I don't eat any carbs. My entire diet consists of hot dogs and protein powder mixed with vodka.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get a lot of flak here, but don't blame me...blame the research. :-) ...all I ask is, please be open minded and find the evidence (pubmed is a good place). If you have opposing evidence to support your claim that rice and bread etc. should be consumed (often), then please put it forward. I'm not against such claims, I just go with evidence.

I argue that cutting out (or better, limiting) bread, rice and pasta, is exactly what you SHOULD be doing (along with other CHO that are toward the simpler GI spectrum). There is a lot of connected reasons, but I will try to keep this as succinct as possible so as not to bore you:

White bread, rice, pasta and others are relatively simple carbohydrates (CHO). There is a very strong correlation between CHO and inflammatory diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes type 2, strokes, alzheimer's and others.

When you eat simpler CHO there is a huge spike in your blood glucose levels. To control this and utilise the glucose as energy, the body (pancreas) releases insulin. This is normal and fine. But, chronically high levels of blood glucose and therefore insulin, due to regular CHO intake will cause inflammation. For example, overtime the endothelial linings of the blood vessels of the heart become damaged. This can result in hardening of the arteries/narrowing of the arteries/ blood clots/stroke, among others. The evidence for this is overwhelming. And you don't have to be overweight to have inflammatory diseases!

From the brief evidence above, I would therefore argue that you SHOULD limit or cut out bread, rice and pasta...plain table sugar and everything associated with it, should certainly be out of your diet! But (there is a but) on a personal level there are far worse things you could be eating, like eating McDonald or pizza hut every night. So in moderation, as part of a healthy lifestyle rice and pasta are probably fine. Personally I'm not sure about the bread, but I do profess, freshly cooked bread smells and tastes divine. Just keep it a treat.

What to eat instead of CHO? ...well don't cut out CHO just limit them. Swap the rest with fat, protein and vegetables. Two years ago, the country of Sweden lit-reviewed 16,000 studies on human diets. They found no connections between fatty foods...like pure fat or red meat...and heart disease.

They also found that low CHO and high fat diets decrease the bad cholesterol and increases the good cholesterol. They even suggest that high fat and protein diets are the best thing to lose weight.

Sweden has now become the first country to advise high fat/protein, low carb diets as part of their national dietary guidelines. Interestingly, most Swedish people had that type of diet anyway, which could illuminate why only 14% of their nation is obese vs 1/3 of the USA.

You're unlikely to get an honest open dialogue regarding this in here. There are several members who spend their days trolling these forums to attack and ridicule others opinions. If you would like to join a group of individuals who can intelligently debate topics like this without being put down and called names, check out my group.

Take Care!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Stbarber1 wrote: »

You're unlikely to get an honest open dialogue regarding this in here. There are several members who spend their days trolling these forums to attack and ridicule others opinions. If you would like to join a group of individuals who can intelligently debate topics like this without being put down and called names, check out my group.

Take Care!

trolling to attack and ridicule suddenly = pointing out how factually incorrect someone is?

Gee I dunno- I thought if someone said I have 100$ and they only had 10 it would be fair of someone else to point out that they were factually incorrect so they didn't go out and make a huge mistake with that 10$ bill.

But I guess that just makes us mean. okay.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I'm not here to prove his point for him, whether I agree or not

@mrm27 to continually refer to things are regurtiated nonsense is not the form of debate that helps educate

@jorocka no reference was made to specific individuals, only those who take part in said activities
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    White bread, rice, pasta and others are relatively simple carbohydrates (CHO).

They aren't. The more substantive bits have been responded to, but the misuse of "simple carb" is a pet peeve.
    There is a very strong correlation between CHO and inflammatory diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes type 2, strokes, alzheimer's and others.

Most nutrition experts still are reasonably high on carbs. Traditional diets are also high in carbs, in many cases, including those believed to be among the healthiest. The problem with the US diet isn't the carb ratio.
    When you eat simpler CHO there is a huge spike in your blood glucose levels.

No, fruit is a simple carb. Spiking blood glucose isn't an issue for most, but in any case it is mitigated by the presence of fiber OR by fat, which is quite frequently eaten as part of a balanced meal including grains. There is a correlation (which I don't make too much of, but as long as we are trotting out the anti grains POV) between the consumption of whole grains and positive health outcomes. Also, if you exercise (as people should) you may want some quick digesting carbs afterwards to replenish glycogen stores and help build muscle.

Now, should you limit starchy carbs if you have weight issues? Of course, just like you should probably consider limiting any higher calorie foods. I limit them quite a lot for taste preference reasons, but I don't pretend that people who prioritize them more than I happen to are making poor choices so long as they also get balanced diets and eat an appropriate calorie level.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @MrM27 its a public group, you're welcome to join if you offer intelligent conversation