Eliminating bread and rice?

Options

Replies

• shapenerfiterratii
    shapenerfiterratii Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Can we get back to the Texas toast grilled cheese?
    GC.png

OP, eat what you like in moderation - weigh/measure your food for portion sizes. Bread and rice aren't naughty despite their whiteness.

Lmao thank you :#
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    mwebster11 wrote: »
    I'm a starter and I've heard a lot of people say they stopped eating rice and bread, while others said that you need it, and now I'm confused. Besides common sense of moderation, do you really think eliminating bread and rice from my diet will help a lot?
    Don't make fun of me :p
    yes, u should not eat bread, rice, and other carbs.carbs convert to sugar, and they r fattening.read the Atkins diet list of carbs u should and shouldn't eat.I am on a low carb diet where I don't eat more than 100 grams of carbs a day, and I am seeing results.

So if I'm seeing results eating over that in my carbs and I eat bread rice does that make it better?
  • shapenerfiterratii
    shapenerfiterratii Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Well, I guess @Stbarber1 decided she really didn't want to provide a balanced outlet to have an intellectual discussion. I guess it was more about "How dare you disagree with my low carb ways, I'll post in our group that ignores science, you meanies".

I understand your point about the whole carbs thing and it makes sense to me, but did you really have to come back an hour later just to comment that? It's almost like you don't want the argument to end or need to prove them wrong? :/
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well, I guess @Stbarber1 decided she really didn't want to provide a balanced outlet to have an intellectual discussion. I guess it was more about "How dare you disagree with my low carb ways, I'll post in our group that ignores science, you meanies".

Why the continual attacks directed at me. It's easy enough to look up a group if someone so chooses. I think there's a forum post for help with the technical issues of navigating the site if needed. Anyone can disagree with me all they want. It's common knowledge that all individuals are different and what works for one may not work for another. I'm not sure why that's so difficult to understand.

You do realize all scientific studies are funded by one means or another which is why you can find a "scientific" study that will tell you whatever you want. Unless you are the scientist performing the scientific study I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Can you post some links to the studies you have personally done that explain why I shouldn't follow a limited carb diet as recommended by my doctor to combat my insulin resistance and try to prevent the development of t2 diabetes?

• Allgoingtomakeit
    Options
    MrM27

Well the GI scale (referring only to GI and not GL) is based on how quickly the food affects blood sugar levels. I don’t see why it needs explaining in order for me to put forward research findings.

But to elaborate for those who might be interested: when we consume a CHO like white bread along with say, peanut butter, it can alter the GI rating of that combined food source. To find the ‘new’ GI of the combined food source, you could take the average of the combined foods.
    But the basis of the discussion, as far as I was aware, was not on combining foods, but foods in their singular form, like white rice on its own, nor the amount you eat, which again has different implications (refer to GL). If we were speaking about combined foods/GIs/GLs, we’d be here all day; ‘rice with this is OK, rice with that is not’ etc.

Of course I cherry picked. It’s a forum and I want people to read what I write, so I put forward the most interested key findings. If someone wants to then read up about it in more detail…google. It’s the same in every research paper, we all have our biases and these will come through in our writings.

I am not going to detail the whole process of human physiology. No one wants to read that here, if they do, they can do their own research. The processes of nutrition within the body are huge, when I write or read something, especially on MFP, I want it in its simplest form. If your unhappy with that, please contact the ‘whosgivea****’ police.

Yes the molecular structure of white bread is complex CHO…with most of its fibre removed during the processing. White bread has, according to both Sydney and Harvard University, a glycaemic index of 70 (referring only to GI not GL), this puts it in the High GI section, along with white rice. Brown bread is 69, only just making the medium GI group. Interestingly, pasta has a GI of approx. 60 (depending on brand etc). That was news to me…but unlike some people here, Ill accept new knowledge and wont damper others for the sake of my own ……(insert what’s missing in your life).

As for research findings to back up what I’ve written; I’m not writing a scientific journal and I’m not going to waste my time finding them to please you.
    But I didn’t just magic the ideas out of thin air for my own gratification. But if people reading this want to find their own answers, please research the net (pubmed is good, as I originally mentioned) and form your own opinion. You will find arguments for and against high fat/lowcarb etc. Just remember that scientific conclusions are never 100% and never proves something 100%.

Ultimately MrM27 you come across as a vile person, with the way you put yourself forward. Id expect better from someone that has clearly made epic positive changes in their lifestyle and physique, which I commend you for. Instead of facilitating a discussion to encourage education, you attempt to intimidate or provoke. If that's by mistake can I suggest you take lessons in communication skills. People, including me, are more likely to appreciate your opinion/evidence when you write it nicer.

At least lemurcat12: put their argument across in an educated manner. Thanks.

Herrspoons:
    You are right, according to Forbes 50% of Swedes are overweight (2007)
    But I said obesity, with Swedes being between 9.2-14% between year 2000- to present day.

That's it from me. I'm off to eat a Texas toast grilled cheese!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Stbarber1 wrote: »

Why the continual attacks directed at me. It's easy enough to look up a group if someone so chooses. I think there's a forum post for help with the technical issues of navigating the site if needed. Anyone can disagree with me all they want. It's common knowledge that all individuals are different and what works for one may not work for another. I'm not sure why that's so difficult to understand.

You do realize all scientific studies are funded by one means or another which is why you can find a "scientific" study that will tell you whatever you want. Unless you are the scientist performing the scientific study I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Can you post some links to the studies you have personally done that explain why I shouldn't follow a limited carb diet as recommended by my doctor to combat my insulin resistance and try to prevent the development of t2 diabetes?

Do you understand what a medical condition is? Do you say people shouldn't eat peanuts because there's people allergic to peanuts?
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Please tell me where I said someone shouldn't eat grain, or bread, or rice, or really anything for that matter
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    MrM27

Well the GI scale (referring only to GI and not GL) is based on how quickly the food affects blood sugar levels. I don’t see why it needs explaining in order for me to put forward research findings.

But to elaborate for those who might be interested: when we consume a CHO like white bread along with say, peanut butter, it can alter the GI rating of that combined food source. To find the ‘new’ GI of the combined food source, you could take the average of the combined foods.
    But the basis of the discussion, as far as I was aware, was not on combining foods, but foods in their singular form, like white rice on its own, nor the amount you eat, which again has different implications (refer to GL). If we were speaking about combined foods/GIs/GLs, we’d be here all day; ‘rice with this is OK, rice with that is not’ etc.

Of course I cherry picked. It’s a forum and I want people to read what I write, so I put forward the most interested key findings. If someone wants to then read up about it in more detail…google. It’s the same in every research paper, we all have our biases and these will come through in our writings.

I am not going to detail the whole process of human physiology. No one wants to read that here, if they do, they can do their own research. The processes of nutrition within the body are huge, when I write or read something, especially on MFP, I want it in its simplest form. If your unhappy with that, please contact the ‘whosgivea****’ police.

Yes the molecular structure of white bread is complex CHO…with most of its fibre removed during the processing. White bread has, according to both Sydney and Harvard University, a glycaemic index of 70 (referring only to GI not GL), this puts it in the High GI section, along with white rice. Brown bread is 69, only just making the medium GI group. Interestingly, pasta has a GI of approx. 60 (depending on brand etc). That was news to me…but unlike some people here, Ill accept new knowledge and wont damper others for the sake of my own ……(insert what’s missing in your life).

As for research findings to back up what I’ve written; I’m not writing a scientific journal and I’m not going to waste my time finding them to please you.
    But I didn’t just magic the ideas out of thin air for my own gratification. But if people reading this want to find their own answers, please research the net (pubmed is good, as I originally mentioned) and form your own opinion. You will find arguments for and against high fat/lowcarb etc. Just remember that scientific conclusions are never 100% and never proves something 100%.

Ultimately MrM27 you come across as a vile person, with the way you put yourself forward. Id expect better from someone that has clearly made epic positive changes in their lifestyle and physique, which I commend you for. Instead of facilitating a discussion to encourage education, you attempt to intimidate or provoke. If that's by mistake can I suggest you take lessons in communication skills. People, including me, are more likely to appreciate your opinion/evidence when you write it nicer.

At least lemurcat12: put their argument across in an educated manner. Thanks.

Herrspoons:
    You are right, according to Forbes 50% of Swedes are overweight (2007)
    But I said obesity, with Swedes being between 9.2-14% between year 2000- to present day.

That's it from me. I'm off to eat a Texas toast grilled cheese!

If you don't bother to put any kind of proof of the things you say in your posts, you might as well say aliens make us fat. You make a claim, you link something supporting that claim, preferrably a study and not a news article. That's how scientific discourse works. You don't just go like you did and say things and that there's science to it and not post the science. There's plenty of people on the internet posting like that, claiming scientific facts without providing any source. 9 times out of 10 they're at least partially incorrect if not complete fabrications.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Open forum I can pop in where I chose and offer support to someone, just as you pop in and ridicule, own it.

You very clearly attacked my way of eating this was your passive aggressive statement

"How dare you disagree with my low carb ways, I'll post in our group that ignores science, you meanies".

Implying my group ignores science, or that low carb ways are something to be looked down upon by the scientific community.

Don't back peddle now.

You badger people for science, research, science, research. Please tell me again I must've missed it, what is your scientific background, where did you study? University of Google, by chance?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    @MrM27 its a public group, you're welcome to join if you offer intelligent conversation

Why don't you put your thoughts here? Why do we have to join a low carb group?

I have
    It's not a low carb group
    You don't
    The only thing you've posted prior to complaining about members was about something being more complex than something else that is complex. Not much of an opinion.

So tell me, do you agree with everything that member said that you told to join your group?

I welcome thoughtful conversation from those I agree and disagree with.

I'm asking you if you agree or disagree with the post that the member made?

Never been to Sweden. I couldn't tell you what percentage of their population is obese.

He is entitled to have whatever thoughts he chooses to on a topic.

So you have absolutely no opinion on any of the other information that had nothing to do with Sweeden? None at all? You can't say if you disagree with it or that you agree with it?

I find Sweden's social and educational policies to be ethical and long-term goal oriented for a healthy society.

Not sure about obesity rates, but SWEDISH BIKINI TEAM, YO!!!!!!

I can recommend a series of novels by a Swedish guy named Vilhelm Moberg, about Swedish immigration to the US. They were quite interesting.

Also, Smiles of a Summer Night is a very fun movie, although not one of the most famous Bergman films (at least not that I know of, I'm not really a movie buff). Also, the source material for Sondheim's A Little Night Music.

Pretty sure bread was eaten in both, also.

Not sure about Swedish culture, but the Danish film Babette's Last Feast is a FANTASTIC thematic exploration of moralized "clean eating" vs. mindful sensual appreciation of food.
  • JJillian2010
    Options
    To MrM27
    White bread is not a complex carb. It has been stripped of most of its nutrients and then refortified. Whole grain bread would be considered a complex carb. It is nutrient and fiber dense whereas white bread is not.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,957 Member
    Options
    To MrM27
    White bread is not a complex carb. It has been stripped of most of its nutrients and then refortified. Whole grain bread would be considered a complex carb. It is nutrient and fiber dense whereas white bread is not.

Are you 100% sure about that?
    Clue. Starch. :)
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Open forum I can pop in where I chose and offer support to someone, just as you pop in and ridicule, own it.

You very clearly attacked my way of eating this was your passive aggressive statement

"How dare you disagree with my low carb ways, I'll post in our group that ignores science, you meanies".

Implying my group ignores science, or that low carb ways are something to be looked down upon by the scientific community.

Don't back peddle now.

You badger people for science, research, science, research. Please tell me again I must've missed it, what is your scientific background, where did you study? University of Google, by chance?

You missed the boat on that one. When I mimic what you would sound like it isn't to bash low carb, it's to bash the mentality that people have when they go about promoting low carb as the way while never fully getting into the science. It's the pseudo science crowd that's the issue. Don't pretend like you don't know where you fall. I know the people in the little group and most of them are a joke. There are a few people on here that follow low carb that know there stuff including 1 girl that is on her game and even she laughs at the nonsense that's preached. The larger crowd ruins it for the ones that actually know what they are talking about.

You've heard of the University of Google? Awesome place it was. Good times.

There it is again, calling people a joke because you don't believe they know enough. The science behind it is very clear and easy to understand. As well as easily researchable by anyone who chooses to educate themselves. I've gone through several stages in learning from vast resources while working towards my degree in nutrition. And hope those who really are looking for help will research further than accepting anything as gospel from an internet chat room.