Eliminating bread and rice?

Options

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    vfit10 wrote: »
    It will depending on your goals -- let's say white bread while losing weight won't help it will get you full yes ,but (for like 45 minutes then you will be hungry again ) now if you eat some wheat bread it will keep you fuller for a longer time.

Isn't wheat bread higher in calories though?

It's not just about the calorie count. Wheat bread will be more filling than white because it retains more protein and fiber....same with brown rice (vs. white...yucky). When you reduce your overall calories it becomes more important to "get the most bang" for your calorie buck.

Brown rice is the yucky one!! White sushi rice = heaven!!!!!!!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Moderation, people, moderation!
  • janisvin
    janisvin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you! I cut them out almost entirely b/c they are triggers and I've had success losing. I eat mainly plain baked sweet potatoes and low fat popcorn as my carbs instead.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Eat bread, eat rice. Just make sure to track and weigh so you know your portions aren't mad. Unrefined and whole grain are usually better as they're slower release so keep you fuller for longer. But you don't need to cut them out.

That said, I gave up bread for a month (a friend dared me - I only had it twice!) and although I can eat it now I've massively cut back as I've got so used to going without and having alternatives.
  • Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I also think it is just calories in and calories out. Bread, rice and pasta have got quite some calories, so if you like to you could try to decrease the amount you eat and/or play around a bit with some "substitutes". You could try out "shirataki" noodles and rice or noodles made from vegetables like zucchini or rice made from cauliflower. And you could try out "low cal" versions of bread like LaTortillaFactory low carb tortillas as a wrap substitute or thomas light multigrain english muffins or flatout flatbread eg....you could also use "low carber-tricks" like making wraps out of lettuce leaves...I would not cut bread etc out, though. This can really lead to deprivation binges according to my experience. However, there are people who swear on low carb and that exactly this prevents them from bingeing...
  • Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    another option would be to use aubergine slices as lasagna plate substitute
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've lost almost 60lbs while still eating bread, rice, Mcds, Taco Bell etc etc etc :) For weight loss it really is about calories and math. However, I am just starting to (very tentatively) look into how wheat 'may' affect mental clarity. Pretty skeptic about the whole wheat belly/grain brain thing, but I'm dealing with some 'fuzzy' brain issues, so I'm going to try some new things and see if any of it helps. I don't know if my issue is a diet thing or a supplement thing, or because I have three kids that make me go crazy lol.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    But I typically avoid Texas Toast because...who needs to DOUBLE the calories?

Me. I Texas toast all the time.
  • shapenerfiterratii
    shapenerfiterratii Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Tatarataa wrote: »
    I also think it is just calories in and calories out. Bread, rice and pasta have got quite some calories, so if you like to you could try to decrease the amount you eat and/or play around a bit with some "substitutes". You could try out "shirataki" noodles and rice or noodles made from vegetables like zucchini or rice made from cauliflower. And you could try out "low cal" versions of bread like LaTortillaFactory low carb tortillas as a wrap substitute or thomas light multigrain english muffins or flatout flatbread eg....you could also use "low carber-tricks" like making wraps out of lettuce leaves...I would not cut bread etc out, though. This can really lead to deprivation binges according to my experience. However, there are people who swear on low carb and that exactly this prevents them from bingeing...

I've actually tried the grated cauliflower instead of rice in multiple meals and it's really, really good. But rice noodles made from Zucchini?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It will depending on your goals -- let's say white bread while losing weight won't help it will get you full yes ,but (for like 45 minutes then you will be hungry again ) now if you eat some wheat bread it will keep you fuller for a longer time.

high calorie =/= bad.

it just makes it high calorie and you have to be aware of that.
  • shapenerfiterratii
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

high calorie =/= bad.

So the calories aren't the only thing I should look at when I'm dealing with carbs. Fiber, and what else?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

high calorie =/= bad.

So the calories aren't the only thing I should look at when I'm dealing with carbs. Fiber, and what else?

what? I dont' even understand.

eat the food if you like it. If it's to many calories- eat less of it.

I don't eat a lot of bread because I'd personally rather eat MORE other food- than a little less of that. But sometime I make the trade off- I eat less of something and eat the bread too.

just eat food you like- and watch how many calories you are eating.
    Also- fiber is wildly over rated- eat your veggies and you'l be fine.
  • shapenerfiterratii
    Options

high calorie =/= bad.

what? I dont' even understand.

eat the food if you like it. If it's to many calories- eat less of it.

I don't eat a lot of bread because I'd personally rather eat MORE other food- than a little less of that. But sometime I make the trade off- I eat less of something and eat the bread too.

just eat food you like- and watch how many calories you are eating.
    Also- fiber is wildly over rated- eat your veggies and you'l be fine.

I think I was confused myself. Thank you.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    But I typically avoid Texas Toast because...who needs to DOUBLE the calories?

Me. I Texas toast all the time.

A Texas toast grilled cheese sandwich is heaven.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I personally try to eliminate bread out of my diet, it doesn't happen all of the time but it has helped me out a lot in maintaining my body composition. I cannot and will not give up my Japanese sticky rice because that's what I grew up eating
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Tatarataa wrote: »
    another option would be to use aubergine slices as lasagna plate substitute

oh dear. I have made a lasagne with aubergine. Never again. I actually think aubergines are one of those things that shouldn't be consumed.

One piece of advise I was given when i started out was cut out bread, pasta, and rice and i would lose weight. I wonder who starts these useless facts? I really didnt bother cos i like all 3, so like others have said just fit it in. I eat all type of bread regardless of colour. However Brown rice and pasta is just nasty to me.
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I eat certain types of bread. I avoid white bread but I love sugar free whole wheat and flax bread.

I also eat brown rice and not white rice. Depending on the type of exercise you are doing, complex carbs can be your best friend to help you push through those difficult workouts.

I don't eat much pasta and I do limit my carbs overall, I try to eat more protein and veggies.

Hope that helps :)
  • jcook0716
    jcook0716 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I got rid of white bread, hamburger buns etc. But i do eat some mulitgrain and whole wheat breads (not much). I try to limit pasta, white rice etc (and when i do eat it i try to get brown rice or whole wheat pasta) . Seems like i lose more consistently when i limit carbs somewhat. But everyones body is different.