Calorie Goals

Options
I've been eating a lot of veggies and they literally have no calories. My goal is 1,600 calories a day. But ive obly been reaching at most 900. I have been making meals and being very satisfied with them. I never feel hungry after or full. Should I add more calories to my diet some how even tho my meals have been perfect for me? Do I NEED more calories?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    In order to keep your body running and not cause any health problems, yes. Add in calorie dense foods to your day, and make sure your logging is as accurate as possible (chances are you're eating more than 900 already unless you're weighing your foods, but better to be safe than sorry)
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Yes, and you need nutrients that you're probably not getting in your veggies. You need protein and fat.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Yes you do. You need to meet minimum nutritional needs of a human body, which you're not doing at 900 calories per day. Your MFP calculated goal includes the deficit needed to lose weight ... eating less than 60% of that goal is unhealthy.

This thread makes it look as though you quit the magic bean pudding diet you touted less than two weeks ago.
  • ayannabayer
    ayannabayer Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yes you do. You need to meet minimum nutritional needs of a human body, which you're not doing at 900 calories per day. Your MFP calculated goal includes the deficit needed to lose weight ... eating less than 60% of that goal is unhealthy.

This thread makes it look as though you quit the magic bean pudding diet you touted less than two weeks ago.

I actually finished part 1 of that and it went really good. But as the recipes went on I didnt really like them so I just pushed that book to the side and creates my own diet.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    You could be weeks into a healthy, sustainable plan if you listened to the advice given when you first stared asking about detoxes. In stead, you've gone from fad to fad rather than listening to the sound advice you received and in the process proved the majority correct on the topic of your previous diet plans being unsustainable.

You need to net at least 1200 calories ... closer to your goal would be better, there is a reason why the calculators arrived at that total. You need to hit your macro goals. The other option is to continue on on unhealthy path. Your choice.
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    There are no vegetables with "literally no calories".
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    lcooper327 wrote: »
    There are no vegetables with "literally no calories".

Darn :disappointed:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Literally no calories?

Please share these magical veggies with us.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If you think that the veggies you're eating literally have no calories, then I question the accuracy of your logging. You're probably eating more than you think you are.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I suspect she meant, vegetables have very few calories....
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I suspect she meant, vegetables have very few calories....

Then she literally used the wrong word.

Either way, I think if someone says they are full and satisfied on 900 calories, it is worth questioning if their logging is correct.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Remember the media, mags, IDK, but "they" were claiming that there was negative calorie veggies and fruit. Ohhhh, I so wanted that to be true!

But, yeah, i'm sure the OP (hopefully) meant very few calories in the veg.
  • W_Stewart
    W_Stewart Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    She posted a fair question. If you know so much, but can only share your knowledge by being a jerk, go away. Your kind of help doesn't help others, it only helps your horrible ego.

Yes, ayannabayer, eat to meet your net calorie goals for the day. That's how it works. Like you I am trying to eat more fresh veggies but my snack of sliced bell pepper only added 9 calories! A cup of broccoli only 32. I sometimes feel satisfied before hitting my net calories but I am going to work harder to do so. I might add some juice to my breakfast starting next week and squeeze in another piece of fruit.

Good luck!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    wahoowad wrote: »
    She posted a fair question. If you know so much, but can only share your knowledge by being a jerk, go away. Your kind of help doesn't help others, it only helps your horrible ego.

Who are you talking to? If you are going to sling insults, you should be specific.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »
    Remember the media, mags, IDK, but "they" were claiming that there was negative calorie veggies and fruit. Ohhhh, I so wanted that to be true!

But, yeah, i'm sure the OP (hopefully) meant very few calories in the veg.

Maybe that is what she meant. However, given some of OP's prior threads, she may very well believe they have negative calories, or have been mislead by the Weight Watcher's free veggies or whatever it is (I know they're accounted for in a different way), or who knows what? She said they "literally" have no calories.

And janejellyroll is right, if OP is satisfied on what she says is 900 calories, she may want to make sure she is logging accurately.

OP - if your logging is accurate, yes, you should eat the goal MFP tells you to eat, and evaluate your progression after consistently logging for a reasonable period of time, such as 6 weeks.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options

Who are you talking to? If you are going to sling insults, you should be specific.

Also, prior to playing the white knight, you might want to look into OP's posting history.
    OP- you are fully aware that 900 calories is not healthy, nor will it be supported in our community.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Yes, ayannabayer, eat to meet your net calorie goals for the day. That's how it works. Like you I am trying to eat more fresh veggies but my snack of sliced bell pepper only added 9 calories! A cup of broccoli only 32. I sometimes feel satisfied before hitting my net calories but I am going to work harder to do so. I might add some juice to my breakfast starting next week and squeeze in another piece of fruit.

Good luck!

Congratulations on being the only one resorting to name calling. The fact you then followed that by agreeing with what everyone else told her made me laugh.

• ayannabayer
    ayannabayer Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Literally no calories?

I mean the calories don't add up to much. But they fill me up. So I didn't see any point of eating more
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    @wahoowad I recommend you relook your logging ... both intake and burn. Unless you're in the 400 pound range, your walking burns are grossly exaggerated. Over the past week, you've repeatedly logged in the neighborhood of 1,000 net calories which is far below the recommended minimums for an adult male human.

Just a couple quick observations.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Literally no calories?

I mean the calories don't add up to much. But they fill me up. So I didn't see any point of eating more

If you are logging correctly and only eating 900 calories, you should be aware that very low calorie diets put you at risk for significant health problems. That is the point of eating more.

This discussion has been closed.