Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    which planet do you live on where veggies have 'literally no calories'

Cause it ain't Earth.....

:laugh:

Off to stalk all your short and funny posts...
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    If you have problems with meeting your calorie goals then back away from skinny food like skim milk, drink full instead. Butter and mayonnaise and skinny salad dressing...use the full versions!
    Use a spoon of olive oil over you salads ( 120 calories for one spoon)
    Eat more calorie dense food, avocado, almonds etc.

eat a cracker with 2 tablespoons of peanut-butter etc etc

You dont have to eat much, but you can make wiser choices.

Just terrible advice right here. Yeah, take your healthy plant-based diet and drink some butter just to get to a magical 1200 calorie number. Ugh.

I dont see any unhealthy food in my advice
    And no where i am saying something about a plant based diet.

Just said eat more dense calorie foods

Its just how you read that post and how far you want to take it out of context.

And i dont see anything wrong with bacon either. I am a firm believer in CICO and if it fits your calorie allowance.
    And sometimes i am around the 1100 calories a day too. And than its very simple to eat a avocado or some nuts. Or eat yogurt with fruit or a piece of chicken whatever i like.
    Since i went up in calories i dropped some "skinny" products and replaced them for more "full" products. Its as simple as that.

How ever you read it that i advice the OP a plant based diet is beyond me.

I did not see anywhere that you suggested to "drink some butter", either. :lol:
  • ayannabayer
    ayannabayer Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    whereslisa wrote: »
    Not many people here can answer a question nicely huh? Before you all jump onto me, no, you don't have to deliberately be "mean" to sound mean. Geez, just answer her question. I'm not going to point fingers and I'm not suggesting everyone sounded rude but there were quite a few who did. One thing I dislike about MFP is a lot of people here who seem to have their panties in a wad all of the time.

To the OP, yes you need to meet your calorie goal for the day. You'll become quite unhealthy over time if you dont. You can eat more or switch one meal for another that has higher calories. I know what you mean about the low cal veggies, I can eat a meal of them for 200 calories and feel super full. I usually eat some apples/other fruits, some salads with something like chicken and so on to get to my calorie goal if I eat lots of veggies that day. :)

Omg I do the exact same thing!!! But even when I have chicken on my salad I gets soooo full. So I don't keep over eating. And thanks for understanding. I say the same thing. They all get on me about my other threads and then when I'm asking for normal advice they all want ro be English teachers. Its annoying but I usually just ignore them so they'll catch a hint.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Some people have nothing but hyperbole to offer so they go to drink butter, eat nothing but Snickers bars, etc. If all you have to offer is misrepresentations, it is telling.

The OP so far hasn't followed any of the advice given to her in multiple threads. If she had, she'd be over a month down the path to her goal.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Not many people here can answer a question nicely huh? Before you all jump onto me, no, you don't have to deliberately be "mean" to sound mean. Geez, just answer her question. I'm not going to point fingers and I'm not suggesting everyone sounded rude but there were quite a few who did. One thing I dislike about MFP is a lot of people here who seem to have their panties in a wad all of the time.

To the OP, yes you need to meet your calorie goal for the day. You'll become quite unhealthy over time if you dont. You can eat more or switch one meal for another that has higher calories. I know what you mean about the low cal veggies, I can eat a meal of them for 200 calories and feel super full. I usually eat some apples/other fruits, some salads with something like chicken and so on to get to my calorie goal if I eat lots of veggies that day. :)

Omg I do the exact same thing!!! But even when I have chicken on my salad I gets soooo full. So I don't keep over eating. And thanks for understanding. I say the same thing. They all get on me about my other threads and then when I'm asking for normal advice they all want ro be English teachers. Its annoying but I usually just ignore them so they'll catch a hint.

If anyone were to take the English teacher route on your posts, they'd dedicate hours to correcting the errors. What happens is people take you at your word but you repeatedly don't say what you mean ... you did it here, you did it in your second detox, uh smoothies for meal replacement, thread.

Quit chasing quick fixes. Eat to your goal. Hit your macros. Measure your foods to ensure accuracy. Double check the entries you pick from the database to ensure they match FDA nutrition.*

*That is really for anyone lurking this thread. Based on your previous threads, I honestly do not expect you to follow any sensible advice. All I can do is hope to do is make sure those who lurk have correct information and don't follow you down unhealthy paths.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Discussing someone where they can see the discussion isn't ignoring them. You have gotten some really good advice in this thread, but it looks like you are planning to disregard it, as you have in the other threads you started.

Why do you start threads when you are annoyed by people trying to help you?

• uvi5
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I suspect she meant, vegetables have very few calories....

They new what I meant too. Some people just love to act in such a manner that is childish. Thank you for understanding.

Given that the myth that some vegetables have negative calories is still in circulation and you have shown a tendency to fall for fads, no, I don't think everyone knew what you meant.

When you wrote that vegetables literally had no calories, it is unfair to assert people are acting childish when they thought you meant that vegetables literally had no calories.

Since everyone is sooooo smart on here I figured they understand my silly comment referring to the topic. And that's why I asked the question. I keep adding more things to make my calories go up. But its often things I end up feeling like I don't need or shouldn't have eaten.

Your nutrition goals from MFP indicate what you need to have a balanced diet and meet at least some of your nutrients. They aren't all "maximums."

So to start, are you meeting your fat and protein goals? You aren't going to with just veggies (although presumably you are eating something else too). Many people, especially many younger women, seem to think that protein is not important and that fat is bad, so this is something to look at.

Eating all those veggies (from what you say--I can't see your diary), you should be doing well on potassium and fiber, but check and see. (If you are logging the veggies correctly, using the USDA entries, they will indicate potassium.)

There are also a range of other vitamins and minerals listed, look at those.

Beyond that, if you genuinely aren't eating more than 900, you aren't getting enough foods needed to fuel your activities. Without seeing what you are eating it's hard to make suggestions (although Diane's are great), but if you think there aren't foods that make sense to include in a healthy diet (and not things you feel like you don't need or shouldn't have eaten) that have calories that would make it easy to get above 900, then you are being too restrictive. You really don't want to get into a pattern like that--it will make it much harder for you going forward.

I don't really buy "too full on veggies," either, since I eat lots of veggies and have no problem eating 1850 calories. I do eat other things too, of course, since I meet my protein and fat goals and fuel my workouts with some fruit and starchy carbs (among other things).

I just peeked at your diary (so glad you have it open), I love the way you eat. You got many of the tastes I have in food choices. But I have to ask.... "beef habenero cherry bar" that sounds sooooo good, where did you get that? Did not want to sidetrack the topic, but I just had to know. I love savory, sweet, chewy and spicy, just sounds like a great treat :smiley:
  • uvi5
    Options
    Briael wrote: »
    It depends what type of diet you are doing. If it's a ketogenic diet (where the body is light on carbs) that would be plenty of calories (as the balance of your calories to meet your metabolic need would be met from your body's own fat stores), but in a balanced diet it is too few calories.

This makes no sense. The body burns fat in either case.

Supplying nutrient needs (like adequate protein, iron, calcium, vitamins, potassium) is important in both cases, also.

Ty, I was a bit confused on that one :smile:
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Say what you mean, and the misunderstanding will be avoided. That's what language is for - communication. You communicated to others, on a site that is used to track calories, that veggies have no calories.

As has been stated, there ARE plenty of people who think there are veggies with negative calories, or who don't track veggies because they think the calories are so minimal they don't matter, or who think veggies are "free." Combine that with your previous posts and there you have it - when you said they "literally" have no calories, people took you to mean what you said. For those tracking calories, it's important to correct misinformation that can be impacting their logging and progress, so that's what people tried to do.

Also, you say now that you are asking for "normal advice." I hope that means you are leaving the quick fixes behind and will take the advice that has been offered in this thread.
  • ayannabayer
    ayannabayer Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »

Say what you mean, and the misunderstanding will be avoided. That's what language is for - communication. You communicated to others, on a site that is used to track calories, that veggies have no calories.

As has been stated, there ARE plenty of people who think there are veggies with negative calories, or who don't track veggies because they think the calories are so minimal they don't matter, or who think veggies are "free." Combine that with your previous posts and there you have it - when you said they "literally" have no calories, people took you to mean what you said. For those tracking calories, it's important to correct misinformation that can be impacting their logging and progress, so that's what people tried to do.

Also, you say now that you are asking for "normal advice." I hope that means you are leaving the quick fixes behind and will take the advice that has been offered in this thread.

Im pretty sure nobody was talking to you. I mean, I sure wasn't.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

OP ... I stopped talking to you long ago. I view you as a lost cause who is unworthy of continued advice. Everything I post in your threads is so that others don't follow your flawed, dangerous example.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

If anyone were to take the English teacher route on your posts, they'd dedicate hours to correcting the errors. What happens is people take you at your word but you repeatedly don't say what you mean ... you did it here, you did it in your second detox, uh smoothies for meal replacement, thread.

Quit chasing quick fixes. Eat to your goal. Hit your macros. Measure your foods to ensure accuracy. Double check the entries you pick from the database to ensure they match FDA nutrition.*

*That is really for anyone lurking this thread. Based on your previous threads, I honestly do not expect you to follow any sensible advice. All I can do is hope to do is make sure those who lurk have correct information and don't follow you down unhealthy paths.

allllllllllllllll of that
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You posted on a public forum. You are "talking" to everyone who reads it.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

You posted on a public forum. You are "talking" to everyone who reads it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fuDDqU6n4o
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »

They new what I meant too. Some people just love to act in such a manner that is childish. Thank you for understanding.

Given that the myth that some vegetables have negative calories is still in circulation and you have shown a tendency to fall for fads, no, I don't think everyone knew what you meant.

When you wrote that vegetables literally had no calories, it is unfair to assert people are acting childish when they thought you meant that vegetables literally had no calories.

Since everyone is sooooo smart on here I figured they understand my silly comment referring to the topic. And that's why I asked the question. I keep adding more things to make my calories go up. But its often things I end up feeling like I don't need or shouldn't have eaten.

Your nutrition goals from MFP indicate what you need to have a balanced diet and meet at least some of your nutrients. They aren't all "maximums."

So to start, are you meeting your fat and protein goals? You aren't going to with just veggies (although presumably you are eating something else too). Many people, especially many younger women, seem to think that protein is not important and that fat is bad, so this is something to look at.

Eating all those veggies (from what you say--I can't see your diary), you should be doing well on potassium and fiber, but check and see. (If you are logging the veggies correctly, using the USDA entries, they will indicate potassium.)

Beyond that, if you genuinely aren't eating more than 900, you aren't getting enough foods needed to fuel your activities. Without seeing what you are eating it's hard to make suggestions (although Diane's are great), but if you think there aren't foods that make sense to include in a healthy diet (and not things you feel like you don't need or shouldn't have eaten) that have calories that would make it easy to get above 900, then you are being too restrictive. You really don't want to get into a pattern like that--it will make it much harder for you going forward.

I don't really buy "too full on veggies," either, since I eat lots of veggies and have no problem eating 1850 calories. I do eat other things too, of course, since I meet my protein and fat goals and fuel my workouts with some fruit and starchy carbs (among other things).

I just peeked at your diary (so glad you have it open), I love the way you eat. You got many of the tastes I have in food choices. But I have to ask.... "beef habenero cherry bar" that sounds sooooo good, where did you get that? Did not want to sidetrack the topic, but I just had to know. I love savory, sweet, chewy and spicy, just sounds like a great treat :smiley:

I know you're not talking to me :p , but those have been recommended to me on Amazon. They're more expensive than quest bars though!
  • uvi5
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »

I know you're not talking to me :p , but those have been recommended to me on Amazon. They're more expensive than quest bars though!

I want to see if i can come up with some recipe to make in my dehydrator. They just sound great! :smiley:
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

By posting, you are inviting anyone on this site to respond. You don't have to like what they say.

If you really want advice, you should reread all the posts, since nearly everyone has provided the same answer to your question - eat to your goal. If you don't really want advice, then there's no need to ask a question.
  • mls100771
    mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Here's my dilemma.... MFP told me I should eat 3500 calories per pay based on my age and activity level. Being that I am a low carber, it is very hard for me to eat 3500 calories per day unless I really want to kick up my fat intake, but to be honest with you, I don't feel starved at 2500 calories. Even further, based on my daily exercise routines, I earn on average 600 - 800 extra calories per day.

Yeah, I could stuff myself with food, but I'm not that hungry. So why mess with it?
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    mls100771 wrote: »
    Here's my dilemma.... MFP told me I should eat 3500 calories per pay based on my age and activity level. Being that I am a low carber, it is very hard for me to eat 3500 calories per day unless I really want to kick up my fat intake, but to be honest with you, I don't feel starved at 2500 calories. Even further, based on my daily exercise routines, I earn on average 600 - 800 extra calories per day.

Yeah, I could stuff myself with food, but I'm not that hungry. So why mess with it?

What are your stats?
    Age?
    Height?
    CW?
    Goal Weight?
    Planned loss per week?
    Activity level (not inclusive of exercise)?
    Exercise per day/week?
This discussion has been closed.