UGH! why?!

Options

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    A couple of more things to chew on. (By the way I am not advocating eating a certain way. It is better to eat a way that you like and you can stick with rather than someone else's diet)
    All calories aren't = when it comes to weight loss. Certain calories will impact your body differently. Other subconscious variables will come into play as well. Remember everything is relative to weight as I mentioned in my first post. A couple of other things for you guys to chew on:
    1. The Harris benedict is off up to 14-17% on average. Read the original study plus The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/40/1/168.short
    Most will say well 14-17% isn't bad, but on a 2,000 calorie BMR that is of (14%) 280 calories per day. Which is the difference between gaining an losing weight.
    3. 3500 calories does not = 1 lb (is it 1lb of fat 1lb of muscle or 1 lb of?) You will find this to be true when you really start to track it scientifically. Go back and look at it your self. Look at the deficit you created. Did 3500=1lb
    If I reduce my calories by 3500 calories over 3 days do I lose more weight then If I reduce it by 3500 calories over 3 months? It is less for some people and more for others.

People that use a static equation to try and figure out their allowable calories are falling for an idea that says "every woman in the WORLD, 40 years of age, weighs 140lb and is 5 foot 5 inches tall and marks they live a sedentary lifestyle all get the same exact calories. NOT True

Out of the original Harris Benedict study:

(2) As we have repeatedly emphasized in the foregoing pages, every
    individual metabolism measm-ement considered as a basis for generalization
    concerning the peculiarities of the individual upon which it is
    based {e.g. physical characteristics, pathological state, etc.) has a large
    probable error. Thus one can not compare the metabolism of a single
    individual of any specified ty-pe with the standard constant and use
    it as a basis of generalization. It is only when a series of individuals
    of the specified type are considered that generalizations may be drawn.

while the probable error is
    0.67449 (r,Vl -7-,;,=^
    V n
    where h^ is the mean heat-production of individuals of a specific
    grade, p, of character x, for example body-weight, body-surface, pulserate,
    or any other character.
    Thus it is clear that when a physical character of an individual is
    known—for example, stature or body-weight—the values of metabolism
    predicted from it will show certain deviations from the actual
    values of the individual subjects, but the statistician can even predict
    with fair accuracy what the amount of this deviation will be. The
    failure to attain exact prediction merely illustrates the fact that physiology,
    like biology in general, is not as yet a science in which certainty
    as to the individual instance is attainable.

Hope this helps!
    P.S tracking food and trying to fit it into a static equation is backward as well if you are trying to lose weight.

Okay, yeah.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    People that use a static equation to try and figure out their allowable calories are falling for an idea that says "every woman in the WORLD, 40 years of age, weighs 140lb and is 5 foot 5 inches tall and marks they live a sedentary lifestyle all get the same exact calories. NOT True

Good thing nobody ever said that then.
  • stevencloser
    Options

The harris benedict is a static equation. Certainly you can change the multiplier TDEE, but it isn't an algorithm that is auto adjusting.

Even though you don't say it that is was you use if you use MFP.

You can manually change the amount of calories to eat.
  • phxhiker
    phxhiker Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    why would anybody eat pretty much just salads?

Some people like myself are carb sensitive which is why we eat more Salads. Oh yea, and Salads are Awesome!
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The error rate of a formula has nothing to do with the caloric properties of certain foods. If you are going to thrown formulas around, as least make sure they are relevant.
  • stevencloser
    Options

The harris benedict is a static equation. Certainly you can change the multiplier TDEE, but it isn't an algorithm that is auto adjusting.

Yep you can change it manually, but why do it manually when you can have a computer do it automatically.
    Because it clearly says it's a recommendation, not the be-all-end-all.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    srslybritt wrote: »
    Is it safe now?

Obligatory cat gif:
    giphy.gif

Reading the last 5 pages has sent me a bit perculiar. For a second I actually thought a kitten was climbing out of my screen :/

You need to watch The Ring more often.

samara_emerges1.jpg

Great... I know I won't be sleeping when I get home in the morning. Thanks *grumble*
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Yep you can change it manually, but why do it manually when you can have a computer do it automatically.
    Because it clearly says it's a recommendation, not the be-all-end-all.

Should we introduce him and Pu? They can science together.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    srslybritt wrote: »
    Is it safe now?

Obligatory cat gif:
    giphy.gif

Reading the last 5 pages has sent me a bit perculiar. For a second I actually thought a kitten was climbing out of my screen :/

You need to watch The Ring more often.

samara_emerges1.jpg

Great... I know I won't be sleeping when I get home in the morning. Thanks *grumble*

Haha as soon as I realised what it was I turned away and quickly scrolled!!
    Someone posted one the other day where the face in the mirror changed to some demon looking thing! That night, I was in bed busting for a wee, and couldn't get that thing out of my head.. after I could procrastinate no longer I sprinted to that loo and back in record time!!!

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    This thread gave me shingles.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Hope you get better soon.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Mmk. Not sure why I read that whole thread. I feel like people should not create threads when they are hangry.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is a mess!

td29z3xi1zhg.jpg
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Without getting into the B.S of the thread.
    All calories do not impact your weight in the same way. Everything is relative to your weight.
    Test it out.

Go on a high fat high, high sugar diet and eat 2,000 calories for 2 weeks.
    How much did it translate into weight loss for you?
    Go on a low fat low sugar diet and eat 2,000 calories for 2 weeks.
    Extrapolate the number. Do it for several weeks if you are not satisfied with the results.
    How much did that translate into weight loss for you?

Again you can lose weight eating anything, but everything is relative to you weight if that is what you are trying to lose. Which was the OP question.

All calories are not = when it comes to weight loss. Hope that helps.

Stop it.

awcidrc9syxo.jpg
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Hope you get better soon.
    giphy.gif
    Thanks

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member