UGH! why?!

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    85kurtz wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    One of these days I'm going to make a post about how I didn't lose weight until I dropped salads from my diet (technically true, 'cause salads suck without dressing, and dressing just isn't worth the calories to me) and added two servings of ice cream every night after 10pm... XD

OMG, I just realised: My weight is finally moving downwards again after a month stall. I haven't eaten salad (a regular dinner for me, though mine sounds a hell of a lot better than the OP's) all week. Ergo, it was the salad that was stopping me from losing weight! So glad I looked at this thread*.

*Please note, I do not actually believe my tasty, tasty salads had anything to do with the stall

Why the need to write such nasty vitriolic things to people? I just don't get it. This person's weight loss has stalled. It happens. All they wanted was a bit of advice and some support, instead you go to some trouble just to be nasty. I wonder why.

What?

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    People that use a static equation to try and figure out their allowable calories are falling for an idea that says "every woman in the WORLD, 40 years of age, weighs 140lb and is 5 foot 5 inches tall and marks they live a sedentary lifestyle all get the same exact calories. NOT True

Good thing nobody ever said that then.

The harris benedict is a static equation. Certainly you can change the multiplier TDEE, but it isn't an algorithm that is auto adjusting.

Even though you don't say it that is was you use if you use MFP.

Maybe you use MFP estimates? I don't and I know I can't because I have more LBM than average person my height and weight.

Psst... his copypasta about the Harris Benedict equation nicely threw everyone off the scent of his original assertions about being able to eat more calories of certain foods. He never bothered explaining that one.

Because he knows he is wrong. That what people do. Get off topic. I still want to know these Calories in variables?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    One of these days I'm going to make a post about how I didn't lose weight until I dropped salads from my diet (technically true, 'cause salads suck without dressing, and dressing just isn't worth the calories to me) and added two servings of ice cream every night after 10pm... XD

OMG, I just realised: My weight is finally moving downwards again after a month stall. I haven't eaten salad (a regular dinner for me, though mine sounds a hell of a lot better than the OP's) all week. Ergo, it was the salad that was stopping me from losing weight! So glad I looked at this thread*.

*Please note, I do not actually believe my tasty, tasty salads had anything to do with the stall

Why the need to write such nasty vitriolic things to people? I just don't get it. This person's weight loss has stalled. It happens. All they wanted was a bit of advice and some support, instead you go to some trouble just to be nasty. I wonder why.

This is the problem with all the generic "mean people" threads. Without seeing the posts that are being referred to you have no ability to know what the person is talking about, so if you haven't noticed anything that seems "mean" you won't get it and will think perhaps the person is upset about sensible advice.

I appreciate you actually focusing on a specific post.

However, I am confused about why you thought Nony's post was "nasty" or even what you think it has to do with the OP at this point in the thread. The OP already got mad about something or other (it was not actually clear) and stomped off.

You must have brought something beyond what's actually written here to bear in order to reach your interpretation, and I'm kind of curious what it was, but it doesn't really matter. IMO, assuming that Nony is being "nasty" and has bad motives with nothing more than what we see is, itself, not very nice and quite uncharitable. At the least you'd think you'd ask for clarification.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    This thread gave me shingles.

Quickly! Someone get Dr. Poon from the other thread.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options

I don't think you know what "nasty" or "vitriolic" mean. The post you commented on was neither. It was just a light and sarcastic joke. If you (or the OP) can't handle posts like that one you probably aren't cutout for posting on the internet.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »

2. All calories are not equal. I know a lot on MFP will tell you this, but it is simply not true.

I'm new at calorie counting. Can you please explain this to me?

@bbontheb
    Pedantry aside, I think most of us take it to mean that you have to consider more than just how many calories an item of food contains, when you're deciding whether to eat it or not... If you want to remain healthy that is (especially while in a calorie deficit).

i.e. is it providing the kind of nutrients you need, in a reasonable proportion to the calorie 'cost'.

Let's say a particular candy bar, for example, provides 250 calories and 4g of protein. A grilled chicken breast, on the other hand (even purchased from a fast food outlet) provides virtually the same amount of calories but 40g of protein. If you are trying to meet your protein needs, which item would be more beneficial to you?
    This probably seems obvious, but would you believe there are actually people on this forum who would argue for choosing the candy bar, simply because they have a craving for it and they justify this by saying that all that matters is the calories?

Speaking of which, I read an interesting interview with the founder of MyFitnessPal this very morning, which may go some way to explaining the 'CICO philosophy' that's constantly spouted here as being the be-all-and-end all. I think some people have missed the fact that it's just supposed to be a starting point...

"i]interviewer[/i: I think one of the criticisms of these tracking apps is that calories aren’t all equal. A bag of potato chips is not the same as an apple. It seems like you guys have started to address that recently, in terms of warning like, “You’ve had this much sugar,” or like breaking down the nutritional elements where if that was there before, it wasn’t as visible.
    "Mike i]MFP founder[/i: Look, in the beginning, you don’t know anything about nutrition. It’s incredible how little people know. In that sense, I get that criticism around focusing on calories, but calories are simple. People get it. In the beginning, you don’t want to overburden somebody with carbs, or fats, and all that stuff."
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Is this a serious post? You thought that was nasty and vitriolic? Just to make sure I had my definition of vitriolic correct, I looked it up, and yes, it means what I thought it meant: filled with bitter criticism or malice.

So please point to the parts of her post that were filled with bitter criticism or malice. Otherwise maybe we need to look up another word to make sure we have consistent definitions... SARCASM.

In the meantime, I will just leave my good friend Inigo Montoya here.

f67334bc58f2468bad15312669d5edaa0afe4c44de4eb56039994a47f00d296b.jpg

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »

2. All calories are not equal. I know a lot on MFP will tell you this, but it is simply not true.

I'm new at calorie counting. Can you please explain this to me?

@bbontheb
    Pedantry aside, I think most of us take it to mean that you have to consider more than just how many calories an item of food contains, when you're deciding whether to eat it or not... If you want to remain healthy that is (especially while in a calorie deficit).

i.e. is it providing the kind of nutrients you need, in a reasonable proportion to the calorie 'cost'.

Let's say a particular candy bar, for example, provides 250 calories and 4g of protein. A grilled chicken breast, on the other hand (even purchased from a fast food outlet) provides virtually the same amount of calories but 40g of protein. If you are trying to meet your protein needs, which item would be more beneficial to you?
    This probably seems obvious, but would you believe there are actually people on this forum who would argue for choosing the candy bar, simply because they have a craving for it and they justify this by saying that all that matters is the calories?

Speaking of which, I read an interesting interview with the founder of MyFitnessPal this very morning, which may go some way to explaining the 'CICO philosophy' that's constantly spouted here as being the be-all-and-end all. I think some people have missed the fact that it's just supposed to be a starting point...

"i]interviewer[/i: I think one of the criticisms of these tracking apps is that calories aren’t all equal. A bag of potato chips is not the same as an apple. It seems like you guys have started to address that recently, in terms of warning like, “You’ve had this much sugar,” or like breaking down the nutritional elements where if that was there before, it wasn’t as visible.
    "Mike i]MFP founder[/i: Look, in the beginning, you don’t know anything about nutrition. It’s incredible how little people know. In that sense, I get that criticism around focusing on calories, but calories are simple. People get it. In the beginning, you don’t want to overburden somebody with carbs, or fats, and all that stuff."

There is no one on this site who would recommend eating a candy bar when their protein needs are unmet unless they also have enough calories left to meet them as well. You misunderstand the context of having a candy bar ONCE you have already met your nutritional goals for the day.

That stipulation was made quite clear to you in the thread about the Snickers bar, and you're misrepresenting what people say.

• Laurafoxx81
    Laurafoxx81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »
    OP you have avoided EVERY question regarding whether you weigh out your food, count your calories etc.

Unless you tell us your goals, accuracy of logging and open your diary you will not get one helpful bit of advice as no-one knows what you are doing wrong. Usually people don't lose because of a mix of inaccuracy of logging, under estimating calories and over estimating calories burned during the day.

Actually if you read my response I already posted that I do weigh out my food. Thanks though. Bye

I've never weighed my food ever and I lost weight well over 2 and a half stone so it's not all about the weight of food.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    OP you have avoided EVERY question regarding whether you weigh out your food, count your calories etc.

Unless you tell us your goals, accuracy of logging and open your diary you will not get one helpful bit of advice as no-one knows what you are doing wrong. Usually people don't lose because of a mix of inaccuracy of logging, under estimating calories and over estimating calories burned during the day.

Actually if you read my response I already posted that I do weigh out my food. Thanks though. Bye

I've never weighed my food ever and I lost weight well over 2 and a half stone so it's not all about the weight of food.

It is about the weight (actual amount) of food. What happened is that you were able to maintain a calorie deficit without a scale. A scale is just a useful tool to determine the actual amount of food one is eating.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options

That works for some people, but others, no. I have no perception of size, therefore what I may think if 1/2 cup, or 6 oz, is actually 1 3/4 cup, or 12 ounces.

Someone who is obviously having issues with their weight loss journey, such as the OP, should always weigh food.

Seems to me she doesn't want the advice given by her fellow MFPers. Granted, I only skimmed, but she was rather on the defensive side.
  • Laurafoxx81
    Laurafoxx81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

It is about the weight (actual amount) of food. What happened is that you were able to maintain a calorie deficit without a scale. A scale is just a useful tool to determine the actual amount of food one is eating.

Clearly I know what scales are used for... but everyone has gone mad because she never answered about the weight of her food.. it's not all about that obviously or I'd still be fat..
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

That works for some people, but others, no. I have no perception of size, therefore what I may think if 1/2 cup, or 6 oz, is actually 1 3/4 cup, or 12 ounces.

Someone who is obviously having issues with their weight loss journey, such as the OP, should always weigh food.

Seems to me she doesn't want the advice given by her fellow MFPers. Granted, I only skimmed, but she was rather on the defensive side.

OP was basically gone by end of page one.
  • hollyrayburn
    Options

Clearly I know what scales are used for... but everyone has gone mad because she never answered about the weight of her food.. it's not all about that obviously or I'd still be fat..

For those that cannot control portions, yes, it is about weighing and measurement.
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

OP was basically gone by end of page one.

Yeah, I noticed that, lol. I saw the "ok BYE" haha.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

actually she thanked me for my advice....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

It is about that, though. If you were eating more than you thought, you wouldn't have had success. The difference is that you were able to hit your goals without a scale.

But the actual amount of food eaten is important either way.
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Well, as I said, I merely skimmed :)
  • Karabiner663
    Karabiner663 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The reason that I started tracking with Mfp is because I suddenly lost the energy that I had gained with diet and exercise and hit a plateau where I was not loosing. It turned out that I had bumped up my exercise but not my calories. The body has amazing survival instincts built in so you have to work with that and lose slowly to reach your goals.
  • Nyappykim
    Nyappykim Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Probably because that's what she wanted to hear. Trying not to make assumptions, but the only posts she answered were about her workouts and salads. It makes it seem like she didn't want to put in more effort (of buying a scale and actually weighing everything she eats, or doing this and that) and was content with the advice of pretty much waiting for the weight to start dropping eventually.
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    Every person is different. I would LOVE to be the chick who doesnt weigh and measure everything, but like I said, I can't. (and my scale decided to DIE a couple weeks ago. I can tell it, lol. Luckily tomorrow is payday and I can get a new one!). I'd also love to be the person who can make/afford 3 meals/2 snacks a day of wholesome, non processed, organic foods. But, I'm a cup of coffee and Uncrustable girl in the morning. Haha.

I do try to take advice on here, especially when I am the one to ASK for it. Some people don't. Which is kinda sad, since we are all here to help each other and support each other.

Also wanna add, from what little I saw, no one was blatently rude to OP.