Your questions, hypotheses, and curiosities?

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    maidentl wrote: »
    My previous forums experiences were largely around Tori Amos (long story), every once and a while something would come up but I guess everyone shared the basic belief/assumption/presumption that Tori Amos was amazing and that generally helped people to get along.

Not all fandom forums stay that nice. Doctor Who fans can get ugly. I'm convinced that at least 50% of them secretly loathe it.

It's all the old Who rulez/new Who droolz stuff. Oh! I forgot the other part... girls smell and the Doctor can't have a penis.

I will admit to being annoyed with the whiny, "OMG the Doctor is too old now!" posts. The Doctor has two hearts, I like to think he has two penises as well. :laugh:

I'm 52. Capaldi's Doctor can come at me any time with that fancy Gallifreyan equipment :laugh: I think he's dead sexy. I thought Eccleston and Tennant were sexy too. I just wanted to bake Matt Smith cookies. He was too young.

I think they're all sexy. Capaldi too! Eccleston is my Doctor. :heart: :heart: Every time, I am heartbroken and think I can't love the next and every time, they win me over in about half an episode.
    I'm old. Tom Baker was my Doctor (when I was 6 and would watch from behind the couch because the Cybermen were very scary). I did like David Tennant too, though.

I'm older than you, Tom was my first Doctor and will always hold a special place in my heart. I had a pre-teen crush on him!

• PeachyCarol
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Good thread.

Is the high frequency of hypothyroidism of all sorts seen here related to dietary practices (restriction or high green vegetable diets, at some point)?

Bacterial and viral influences of insulin related sensitivity?

Do dietary elements influence gut bacteria sufficiently for this to be a concern in general diet?

Are allergic reactions activated by exercise stress, and if so, do they influence tissue repair?

What dietary elements might influence early signs of rheumatism that I might be experiencing?

How valid are the theories of habit modification and how applicable are they?

Whole bunch around mTOR signaling, etc...

Oh, please expound. Especially on the first point. What interests me most in that is thinking of my family. 5 generations of women, all with Hashimotos. All with vastly different diets.

Also?

Would love to hear you thoughts on theories of habit modification.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Good thread.

Is the high frequency of hypothyroidism of all sorts seen here related to dietary practices (restriction or high green vegetable diets, at some point)?

Bacterial and viral influences of insulin related sensitivity?

Do dietary elements influence gut bacteria sufficiently for this to be a concern in general diet?

Are allergic reactions activated by exercise stress, and if so, do they influence tissue repair?

What dietary elements might influence early signs of rheumatism that I might be experiencing?

How valid are the theories of habit modification and how applicable are they?

Whole bunch around mTOR signaling, etc...

Great questions. I'm curious as to your thoughts on habit modification theories and if you have suspicions/speculation about what would make them more or less applicable to weight loss/maintenance/fitness.

I've been reading the Power of Habits - its a good book - it might be somewhat "woo" - but I'm going to have to do some digging. Honestly, it's not really my area and I'm trying to get my head around what is there with respect to two areas: what we do here in terms of weight management and fitness activity and ... language learning.
    I've started more unsuccessful language learning forays ... and most of the people I know at HTLAL (a language forum) that succeed in learning languages also report failing very often.

So add to that - Do the Leitner memory learning models have any relevance to muscle growth, flexibility, physical ability, strength development.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    We should do a reading group on the Power of Habits. I keep meaning to read that book.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Not knowing the habit literature quite as well as I would like, my SPECULATION is that habit-based strategies are useful but not sufficient to transform your relationship with food. I think that when we struggle with weight it is because our bodies (physiology), self-images, psychologies, and environments facilitate weight gain/excess weight. When you try to lose weight or maintain weight, you are constantly needing to practice new behaviors, which requires mental energy/executive control. Developing habits can be helpful because once a habit it requires less of this energy. We're always going to have these factors leading us towards weight gain to some degree or another. Physiology will likely support weight gain if you've been heavier, environment is hard to change too dramatically so it is also likely to support weight regain. So whatever you can do to shore up changes is very important, and habits are a key part of this. However, I think that even more critical is a shift in self-image. My speculation is that this change in self-image actually makes a very big difference in there is a whole change to our schema of the world and the whole set of changes we need to make in response to physiology, environment, etc., just require so much less choice because they feel like a part of us and who we are at a fundamental level.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Not knowing the habit literature quite as well as I would like, my SPECULATION is that habit-based strategies are useful but not sufficient to transform your relationship with food. I think that when we struggle with weight it is because our bodies (physiology), self-images, psychologies, and environments facilitate weight gain/excess weight. When you try to lose weight or maintain weight, you are constantly needing to practice new behaviors, which requires mental energy/executive control. Developing habits can be helpful because once a habit it requires less of this energy. We're always going to have these factors leading us towards weight gain to some degree or another. Physiology will likely support weight gain if you've been heavier, environment is hard to change too dramatically so it is also likely to support weight regain. So whatever you can do to shore up changes is very important, and habits are a key part of this. However, I think that even more critical is a shift in self-image. My speculation is that this change in self-image actually makes a very big difference in there is a whole change to our schema of the world and the whole set of changes we need to make in response to physiology, environment, etc., just require so much less choice because they feel like a part of us and who we are at a fundamental level.

Well, for those of you more scholarly than I, I'll offer up my N=1.

Habits are the last step on a path that involved... let's see... going back over the years... a change in environment, then some breakthroughs with psychology, still further breakthroughs with psychology, then further breakthroughs with self-image.

I'm sure physiology was mixed into this at points. I've always struggled with my weight since adolescence. I never paid it much mind. Perhaps it predisposed me to putting on proportionally more weight than someone else in a similar situation would have, but that's water under the bridge at this point.

It wasn't until I had all of the psychological and self-image issues sorted that I was even in a place for habits to begin to have a chance of gaining some kind of foothold.

• girlviernes
    Options

Habits are the last step on a path that involved... let's see... going back over the years... a change in environment, then some breakthroughs with psychology, still further breakthroughs with psychology, then further breakthroughs with self-image.

I'm sure physiology was mixed into this at points. I've always struggled with my weight since adolescence. I never paid it much mind. Perhaps it predisposed me to putting on proportionally more weight than someone else in a similar situation would have, but that's water under the bridge at this point.

It wasn't until I had all of the psychological and self-image issues sorted that I was even in a place for habits to begin to have a chance of gaining some kind of foothold.

Exactly, they are hugely beneficial, but I think primarily in the unifying context of self-image and psychology that is headed in the direction of change and new responses. Although, I would imagine there are many people whose physiology, self-image, psychology, etc were always more closely aligned with healthful behaviors and may progressively have developed helpful habits along the way.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Exactly, they are hugely beneficial, but I think primarily in the unifying context of self-image and psychology that is headed in the direction of change and new responses. Although, I would imagine there are many people whose physiology, self-image, psychology, etc were always more closely aligned with healthful behaviors and may progressively have developed helpful habits along the way.

Probably. I was a BIG mess :smile: History of sexual abuse, emotional abuse, rape... it wasn't pretty. And I sublimated it all and ate to cope. I was also harangued about my weight by an emotionally distant mother. I had a lot to untangle... a lot in my head space. There just wasn't room for good habits.

Fortunately, it all went into making me the person I am today. I'm resilient, strong, and determined. Those traits are artifacts of my past. I can apply them in forming my new habits and move forward.
  • girlviernes
    Options

Probably. I was a BIG mess :smile: History of sexual abuse, emotional abuse, rape... it wasn't pretty. And I sublimated it all and ate to cope. I was also harangued about my weight by an emotionally distant mother. I had a lot to untangle... a lot in my head space. There just wasn't room for good habits.

Fortunately, it all went into making me the person I am today. I'm resilient, strong, and determined. Those traits are artifacts of my past. I can apply them in forming my new habits and move forward.

Guess what, you rock! I love your resilience, strength, and determination :) Hugs for all the crap you've faced, but glad you are here and you!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Guess what, you rock! I love your resilience, strength, and determination :) Hugs for all the crap you've faced, but glad you are here and you!

:heart:

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    My previous forums experiences were largely around Tori Amos (long story), every once and a while something would come up but I guess everyone shared the basic belief/assumption/presumption that Tori Amos was amazing and that generally helped people to get along.

Not all fandom forums stay that nice. Doctor Who fans can get ugly. I'm convinced that at least 50% of them secretly loathe it.

It's all the old Who rulez/new Who droolz stuff. Oh! I forgot the other part... girls smell and the Doctor can't have a penis.

I will admit to being annoyed with the whiny, "OMG the Doctor is too old now!" posts. The Doctor has two hearts, I like to think he has two penises as well. :laugh:

I'm 52. Capaldi's Doctor can come at me any time with that fancy Gallifreyan equipment :laugh: I think he's dead sexy. I thought Eccleston and Tennant were sexy too. I just wanted to bake Matt Smith cookies. He was too young.

I'm right with you on all of that. I love Capaldi, although he's a little too spittle-y for me to find attractive, but Eccleston and Tennant...yummmm....and no no no to Smith. Too goofy.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

I'm right with you on all of that. I love Capaldi, although he's a little too spittle-y for me to find attractive, but Eccleston and Tennant...yummmm....and no no no to Smith. Too goofy.

I love that there are so many Whovians on here!

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I have two things that I think work, but have no proof other than N-1....

1. Eating more on lift and post lift days and running a deficit the remaining days for an overall maintenance helps to make gains in recomp mode.

2. Alcohol is poison to the body and the first thing to be evacuated from the body when drank. I do not believe it is processed/metabolized the same way in the body and the calories shouldn't count as 1:1.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    I wonder if bacteria control us.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Question, when we ladies get extra hungry around our cycle, is our TDEE actually higher for a few days?

Maybe it's because our bodies are gearing up to replace the blood & iron lost at that time?
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I have two things that I think work, but have no proof other than N-1....

1. Eating more on lift and post lift days and running a deficit the remaining days for an overall maintenance helps to make gains in recomp mode.

2. Alcohol is poison to the body and the first thing to be evacuated from the body when drank. I do not believe it is processed/metabolized the same way in the body and the calories shouldn't count as 1:1.

These are both very interesting. I think I read some blog somewhere about how alcohol really doesn't affect weight quite the same as other calories (citation: some blog somewhere, 2014). I think we should conduct some ABA single-subject trials on you :)

• girlviernes
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hahahaha this evoked some fun images in my mind.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think I read some blog somewhere about how alcohol really doesn't affect weight quite the same as other calories (citation: some blog somewhere, 2014). I think we should conduct some ABA single-subject trials on you :)

I firmly believe this, at least for some of us.

I also had no idea that Doctor Who fandom was so contentious.
  • sofaking6
    Options

Hahahaha this evoked some fun images in my mind.

The more I hear about how our gut biomes affect our mood and thoughts and hunger and health, the more I wonder...are they just managing our bodies for their own purposes? NEFARIOUS purposes, of course.