Your questions, hypotheses, and curiosities?

Options

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I wonder if bacteria control us.

gut_bacteria_food_craving.gif

• sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    2. Alcohol is poison to the body and the first thing to be evacuated from the body when drank. I do not believe it is processed/metabolized the same way in the body and the calories shouldn't count as 1:1.

I like to believe this theory.

• girlviernes
    Options
    Liquid calories do not count the same as solid calories.

Let me have my fantasy please.

They are at least double, lol Maximum absorb-ability
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Question, when we ladies get extra hungry around our cycle, is our TDEE actually higher for a few days?

Maybe it's because our bodies are gearing up to replace the blood & iron lost at that time?

That makes sense :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Once again awesome thread, girlviernes. It was from a couple days ago, but I laughed about the question of contention on MFP boards being hanger. I always wondered about that, too!! Interesting to see all the internet is contentions, though. :/ And also from earlier.... alcohol. Don't understand it. Evidently, the thermic effect is quite high, such that bodies reap only 5 kcal/g vs. the 7kcal/g generally cited, but even THAT discount does not fully explain human observations.
  • ahoy_m8
    Options
    ETA: I also wondered if roids might be underlying some of the aggression :o
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

That's awesome, I want to print that out and put it on my fridge for some reason. Or, on the fridge at work....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    ETA: I also wondered if roids might be underlying some of the aggression :o

I think I'm supposed to be a mean poster (at least I got a random email telling me that one time), so I will state unequivocally that I have never used 'roids. My lean body mass supports me on that.

;-)
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options

I'm so glad people are talking about the gut micro-biome on here!! I wonder if some people with really fierce sugar and carb cravings have candida overgrowth.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    OH btw I saw an article this morning about some clinic out east that will pay you for your poop if the fauna are right. I think it was like $40 per grumpy!

ETA: ta-da! (plop) http://www.openbiome.org/stool-donation/
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Love the illustration!

poop+chart+final+with+logo.jpg?format=500w
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Once again awesome thread, girlviernes. It was from a couple days ago, but I laughed about the question of contention on MFP boards being hanger. I always wondered about that, too!! Interesting to see all the internet is contentions, though. :/ And also from earlier.... alcohol. Don't understand it. Evidently, the thermic effect is quite high, such that bodies reap only 5 kcal/g vs. the 7kcal/g generally cited, but even THAT discount does not fully explain human observations.

Does the vomiting explain the rest? :)
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    [. . . snip . . .]

2. Alcohol is poison to the body and the first thing to be evacuated from the body when drank. I do not believe it is processed/metabolized the same way in the body and the calories shouldn't count as 1:1.

I'm a believer that alcohol counts just like calories from any other macro . . . in most circumstances. But (and I think we've shared our views in other threads on this), when consuming a *lot* of alcohol calories in a fairly short period of time (a day-into-night, a long weekend, maybe a four-day bender), my weight never really catches up with what should happen based on alcohol calories consumed. And to dispel confusion, this is rolling average weight over 3-, 5-, and 7-day periods, watching for sodium spikes, watching for dehydration etc. -- a lot of booze in a relatively short period of time, and somehow the calories translated to expected minor weight gain just don't show up.

• ahoy_m8
    Options

I didn't think of that! I think you're onto it!
  • girlviernes
    Options

I didn't think of that! I think you're onto it!

Another scientific mystery solved :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I don't get bingeing/overeating release when I eat "bad" carbs (you know the ones, pasta, potatoes, breads, desserts, ice cream). I can eat them and be fine, no overeating, no gorging. I can have cookies sitting in my pantry and not have to eat the whole package.

I'm not sure if I fall into the Special Snowflake category on this, or if I'm "normal". Or am I hanging around too many people who have this problem? It's sort of like "look at all these people on MFP who have PCOS/hypothyroidism/Celiac/gluten intolerance/ED" and yeah, there are plenty of people who have those, but MFP is a place where they congregate, so it's going to be quite prevalent to see so many with these problems. I'm really thinking that I'm the oddball because I don't have any of these issues.

So I guess the question is: is it me? Am I the only person who doesn't go full binge-mode on "bad" carbs?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I don't get bingeing/overeating release when I eat "bad" carbs (you know the ones, pasta, potatoes, breads, desserts, ice cream). I can eat them and be fine, no overeating, no gorging. I can have cookies sitting in my pantry and not have to eat the whole package.

I'm not sure if I fall into the Special Snowflake category on this, or if I'm "normal". Or am I hanging around too many people who have this problem? It's sort of like "look at all these people on MFP who have PCOS/hypothyroidism/Celiac/gluten intolerance/ED" and yeah, there are plenty of people who have those, but MFP is a place where they congregate, so it's going to be quite prevalent to see so many with these problems. I'm really thinking that I'm the oddball because I don't have any of these issues.

So I guess the question is: is it me? Am I the only person who doesn't go full binge-mode on "bad" carbs?

My husband is fine with them too. He doesn't go crazy over anything like that.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm really starting to believe that there is something to the "eat less carbs and more protein and you'll lose weight thing". I've been eating at a calorie deficit for 6+ months and have lost nothing. I go up and down the same 2 pounds, which can mostly be attributed to sodium and water retention. I'm balking at reducing the carbs but I know SO many people for whom it works, especially women over 50, as I am. Grrr. But I love bread/crackers/rice etc!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

No, I don't binge, and I have no particular desire to overeat on "bad" carbs vs. other foods. I mean sure I might want a second piece of pie or to finish my dessert even though I'm not really hungry because it tastes good, but I have the same reaction to any food that tastes good. People who claim people don't overeat meat or cheese mystify me (I mean, have I imagined the restaurants with 32 oz steaks and ridiculous stuff like that?).

I think I'm missing the starchy carb gene in general, though. I refused to eat "sliced bread" (meaning bread from the grocery store, I liked the stuff on restaurant tables sometimes) and cold cereal as a kid (still don't care for either), I think rice is boring, I find pasta a pleasant enough vehicle for delicious sauces (someone told me as a kid that Americans ate pasta wrong because we put on too little pasta and too much sauce and I figured we'd just made it better). I do really like potatoes and sweet potatoes, but have no problem eating reasonable serving sizes of them.

My overeating is situation-driven, though, not based on the specific food other than it happens more if I like the food, of course.