Your questions, hypotheses, and curiosities?

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I don't get bingeing/overeating release when I eat "bad" carbs (you know the ones, pasta, potatoes, breads, desserts, ice cream). I can eat them and be fine, no overeating, no gorging. I can have cookies sitting in my pantry and not have to eat the whole package.

I'm not sure if I fall into the Special Snowflake category on this, or if I'm "normal". Or am I hanging around too many people who have this problem? It's sort of like "look at all these people on MFP who have PCOS/hypothyroidism/Celiac/gluten intolerance/ED" and yeah, there are plenty of people who have those, but MFP is a place where they congregate, so it's going to be quite prevalent to see so many with these problems. I'm really thinking that I'm the oddball because I don't have any of these issues.

So I guess the question is: is it me? Am I the only person who doesn't go full binge-mode on "bad" carbs?

I have the highlighed and don't ever binge...on carbs, or anything else. Eating at a lower carb level certainly helps with the DESIRE to eat those things things at all, but if I want to have them, I weight out one serving and stop there.

When you add up diabetes, pre-diabetes and other metabolic issues, it is quite a large chunk of the US population. I looked it up at some point when arguing with someone on this site, and I think that it was somewhere around 30% of the adult population.
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI metabolic syndrome is just a cluster of conditions that will increase your risk of heart disease and other such things, one such condition being obesity itself and another being high BP (from: quick google look up and RAS articles relating to obesity that I don't feel like digging for).
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »
    Not a question or hypothesis, but it amazes me how little we actually know about nutrition and weight loss. Take virtually any topic and I can go out and get studies which offer contradictory results.

This is very true, although, also part of the nature of scientific progression.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    The A to Z diet study by Christopher Gardner showed something similar. The abstract (here) only concludes that overall the low carb diet was more effective but in this presentation Gardner talks about individual results correlating with insulin sensitivity.

I thought those who were participating in this thread might be interested to know Gardner did a follow up 6 month RCT pilot study and found that weight loss on a low carb or low fat diet was similar regardless of insulin sensitivity. The results were just posted this week:

Results
    Baseline % carbohydrate:% fat:% protein was 44:38:18. At 6 months, the LF group reported 57:21:22 and the LC group reported 22:53:25 (IR and IS combined). Six-month weight loss (kg) was 7.4 ± 6.0 (LF-IR), 10.4 ± 7.8 (LF-IS), 9.6 ± 6.6 (LC-IR), and 8.6 ± 5.6 (LC-IS). No significant main effects were detected for weight loss by diet group or IR status; there was no significant diet × IR interaction. Significant differences in several secondary outcomes were observed.

Conclusions
    Substantial weight loss was achieved overall, but a significant diet × IR status interaction was not observed. Opportunity to detect differential response may have been limited by the focus on high diet quality for both diet groups and sample size.

Source

Thanks for posting this update.