Does the term "cutting" bother you?

Options

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me, but sometimes when someone entitles a thread just "cutting", that's the first association that comes to my mind. Not sure why, but it is.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    tumblr_inline_mhgec3em881rttpm5.gif

Snort
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    We could change it to "stripping"..... Better? :p
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

x3450xlz5phl.gif
    IN!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    No.

We should call it Mary. I like Mary.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Use that as your thread title and you'll crash MFP

Lol'd at the "boobs" thread that had 1000+ views basically immediately.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

x3450xlz5phl.gif
    IN!

magicmikesnl.gif
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    Lots of words have more than one meaning but more importantly different connotations we associate with that word based on our experience.

For example Home is often associated with warmth comfort and love but for some people it is quite the opposite.

Maybe it is more your personal connotations that make it an unpleasant word for you rather than the meaning of the word itself.

Maybe. The connotations I bring to my interpretation of a word could be very different from others approaching the same word.

Should a commonly used slang term, which have more than one meaning? Isn't that the fundamental problem with jargon and lingo? Wouldn't a precise and dedicated term be more appropriate? If one doesn't exist can and should a dedicated word be created? One free of other possible associations?

Oh? Do you know how many words have different meanings depending on context? You going to change them all?

Slippery slopes and camel's noses aside, I'm just talking about one word.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Maybe. The connotations I bring to my interpretation of a word could be very different from others approaching the same word.

Should a commonly used slang term, which have more than one meaning? Isn't that the fundamental problem with jargon and lingo? Wouldn't a precise and dedicated term be more appropriate? If one doesn't exist can and should a dedicated word be created? One free of other possible associations?[/quote]

Words tend to evolve organically. They change and evolve all the time dependent on majority usage. The words Wicked and Sick which I associate with bad things has changed in the last few years due to young people using them to describe things which are good in their lifestyle.

It is very difficult to persuade people to use a particular word to define just one thing. I hate that people use the wrong word for things or use them out of context. I understand that you don't like the word cut being used for a procedure that doesn't actually involve "cutting" but you won't persuade others that this is not a the correct term. It has become a commonly used word within this particular environment and is used and understood by the people in that environment and therefore is relevant to them and the process it used to describe.

I get more annoyed at random words that are put into conversations. I particularly dislike the use of the word like that is inserted randomly into sentences. E.G. "I like was walking down the road and like this guy came up to me and he like spoke to me and I was like, what? and he was like".....well you get the gist of what I am saying.

I am afraid that you will just have to accept that words have a life of their own and evolve and mature in strange and often permanent ways.

• geotrice
    Options
    Yeah, no I get that it's a common term. I'm not discounting it. I understand that it's referencing cutting calories from your diet. From that perspective it's fine. Not ideal or precise, in my opinion. But I get it.

But there's another aspect: it's often used as an antonym to "bulking". Bulking implies adding weight or size to the body. I guess, for me, the duality doesn't really hold up between the terms. One is about the changing the body, the other is about changing the diet. Combine that with the unintentional overlap with the unfortunate meaning and it seems a bit problematic. Especially if the focus on "cutting calories" should be done in a healthy way.

Don't mind me...just picking nits. Again maybe it's just me. :neutral:

Ummm no. Both cutting and bulking is about changing weight/size of the body, not necessarily what you eat. I have people on my FL that eat the same things in a cut as they do a bulk..just more or less depending on the stage.

And I don't understand how this somehow makes cutting calories healthy or unhealthy?

But cutting isn't the antonym of bulking. But I it's used that way my guess for lack of a better term. In fact bulking doesn't seem to have a defined antonym. I guess I just see an opportunity for a new verb to mean eating less calories.

It's YOUR opinion that it's not an antonym. We're all allowed to have our own opinions.

Show me the antonym of To bulk (verb) in a thesaurus. I never said you're not allowed to have your opinions. I don't follow?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no I get that it's a common term. I'm not discounting it. I understand that it's referencing cutting calories from your diet. From that perspective it's fine. Not ideal or precise, in my opinion. But I get it.

But there's another aspect: it's often used as an antonym to "bulking". Bulking implies adding weight or size to the body. I guess, for me, the duality doesn't really hold up between the terms. One is about the changing the body, the other is about changing the diet. Combine that with the unintentional overlap with the unfortunate meaning and it seems a bit problematic. Especially if the focus on "cutting calories" should be done in a healthy way.

Ummm no. Both cutting and bulking is about changing weight/size of the body, not necessarily what you eat. I have people on my FL that eat the same things in a cut as they do a bulk..just more or less depending on the stage.

And I don't understand how this somehow makes cutting calories healthy or unhealthy?

But cutting isn't the antonym of bulking. But I it's used that way my guess for lack of a better term. In fact bulking doesn't seem to have a defined antonym. I guess I just see an opportunity for a new verb to mean eating less calories.

It's YOUR opinion that it's not an antonym. We're all allowed to have our own opinions.

Show me the antonym of To bulk (verb) in a thesaurus. I never said you're not allowed to have your opinions. I don't follow?

tumblr_mep0zg0zVF1rn4n53o6_250.gif
  • geotrice
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    sjohnny wrote: »
    I usually say I'm "prepping" as when I'm losing weight it's during preparation for a competition. Sounds better to me :)
    I do like that. Though prepping is short for preparing. One prepares for an for an event like a competition. What if you are just in a reduction phase without an associated event?

You tell us. You seem to be troubled by words so you tell the rest of the world what you want us to call it and I'm sure everyone will agree so as not to give you the heeby-jeebies.
    Lol. This.

Re: the original post. I gave my suggestions. But I'm open to other suggestions too.
  • geotrice
    Options

tumblr_mep0zg0zVF1rn4n53o6_250.gif

I'm figuratively laughing out loud.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Beam-Devils-Cut-2.jpg
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Beam-Devils-Cut-2.jpg

FTW!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with you, Bro?

Really... what's wrong?
  • geotrice
    Options

Should a commonly used slang term, which have more than one meaning? Isn't that the fundamental problem with jargon and lingo? Wouldn't a precise and dedicated term be more appropriate? If one doesn't exist can and should a dedicated word be created? One free of other possible associations?

Words tend to evolve organically. They change and evolve all the time dependent on majority usage. The words Wicked and Sick which I associate with bad things has changed in the last few years due to young people using them to describe things which are good in their lifestyle.

It is very difficult to persuade people to use a particular word to define just one thing. I hate that people use the wrong word for things or use them out of context. I understand that you don't like the word cut being used for a procedure that doesn't actually involve "cutting" but you won't persuade others that this is not a the correct term. It has become a commonly used word within this particular environment and is used and understood by the people in that environment and therefore is relevant to them and the process it used to describe.

I get more annoyed at random words that are put into conversations. I particularly dislike the use of the word like that is inserted randomly into sentences. E.G. "I like was walking down the road and like this guy came up to me and he like spoke to me and I was like, what? and he was like".....well you get the gist of what I am saying.

I am afraid that you will just have to accept that words have a life of their own and evolve and mature in strange and often permanent ways.
    [/quote]

No. I will not. What are you even arguing? That nothing can ever change or improve? That new things can be invented to replace the old and outdated? You yourself in the same post said that words evolve. Evolution doesn't stop? That's the whole basis of the concept.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    bladerunner2.jpg
  • geotrice
    Options
    bladerunner2.jpg

Lol
  • algingher
    algingher Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the word "cutting" either. My husband always says "since you're trying to cut weight" and I'm like "no, I'm trying to LOSE weight, I wish I could cut it off" haha!