Does the term "cutting" bother you?

Options

Replies

• geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with you, Bro?

Really... what's wrong?

It's Friday night and were all on an Internet forum. Whatever's wrong, we all got it.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    Maybe. The connotations I bring to my interpretation of a word could be very different from others approaching the same word.

Should a commonly used slang term, which have more than one meaning? Isn't that the fundamental problem with jargon and lingo? Wouldn't a precise and dedicated term be more appropriate? If one doesn't exist can and should a dedicated word be created? One free of other possible associations?

Words tend to evolve organically. They change and evolve all the time dependent on majority usage. The words Wicked and Sick which I associate with bad things has changed in the last few years due to young people using them to describe things which are good in their lifestyle.

It is very difficult to persuade people to use a particular word to define just one thing. I hate that people use the wrong word for things or use them out of context. I understand that you don't like the word cut being used for a procedure that doesn't actually involve "cutting" but you won't persuade others that this is not a the correct term. It has become a commonly used word within this particular environment and is used and understood by the people in that environment and therefore is relevant to them and the process it used to describe.

I get more annoyed at random words that are put into conversations. I particularly dislike the use of the word like that is inserted randomly into sentences. E.G. "I like was walking down the road and like this guy came up to me and he like spoke to me and I was like, what? and he was like".....well you get the gist of what I am saying.

I am afraid that you will just have to accept that words have a life of their own and evolve and mature in strange and often permanent ways.

No. I will not. What are you even arguing? That nothing can ever change or improve? That new things can be invented to replace the old and outdated? You yourself in the same post said that words evolve. Evolution doesn't stop? That's the whole basis of the concept.[/quote]

Yeah but you're not the one who's going to evolve it. Sorry.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »
    bladerunner2.jpg

How dare they use cut in a different way!

There+can+only+be+one_7023fe_3634882.jpg
  • geotrice
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Beam-Devils-Cut-2.jpg

FTW!
    Does the Devil's Cut give you Devil's Horns?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Really... what's wrong?

It's Friday night and were all on an Internet forum. Whatever's wrong, we all got it.

Saturday morning here.

And if you're "stripping" on a Friday night, surely it's a good one? Haha
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Really... what's wrong?

Your 8 month old is cutting a tooth too, huh?
    ETA - Damn autocorrect.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Beam-Devils-Cut-2.jpg

FTW!
    Does the Devil's Cut give you Devil's Horns?

I already have mine. I unfortunately have never had the pleasure of having this.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You don't even cut bro
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    51txjfMpu2L._SY300_.jpg
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Really... what's wrong?

You're 8 month old is cutting a tooth too, huh?

Or perhaps the OP can go to the cluh. Cut a rug or two.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Cut the cheese.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I didn't associate cutting with actual cutting before I read this....
  • geotrice
    Options
    Maybe. The connotations I bring to my interpretation of a word could be very different from others approaching the same word.

Should a commonly used slang term, which have more than one meaning? Isn't that the fundamental problem with jargon and lingo? Wouldn't a precise and dedicated term be more appropriate? If one doesn't exist can and should a dedicated word be created? One free of other possible associations?

Words tend to evolve organically. They change and evolve all the time dependent on majority usage. The words Wicked and Sick which I associate with bad things has changed in the last few years due to young people using them to describe things which are good in their lifestyle.

It is very difficult to persuade people to use a particular word to define just one thing. I hate that people use the wrong word for things or use them out of context. I understand that you don't like the word cut being used for a procedure that doesn't actually involve "cutting" but you won't persuade others that this is not a the correct term. It has become a commonly used word within this particular environment and is used and understood by the people in that environment and therefore is relevant to them and the process it used to describe.

I get more annoyed at random words that are put into conversations. I particularly dislike the use of the word like that is inserted randomly into sentences. E.G. "I like was walking down the road and like this guy came up to me and he like spoke to me and I was like, what? and he was like".....well you get the gist of what I am saying.

I am afraid that you will just have to accept that words have a life of their own and evolve and mature in strange and often permanent ways.

No. I will not. What are you even arguing? That nothing can ever change or improve? That new things can be invented to replace the old and outdated? You yourself in the same post said that words evolve. Evolution doesn't stop? That's the whole basis of the concept.

Yeah but you're not the one who's going to evolve it. Sorry.[/quote]

meh.ro2787.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Lots of words have more than one meaning but more importantly different connotations we associate with that word based on our experience.

For example Home is often associated with warmth comfort and love but for some people it is quite the opposite.

Maybe it is more your personal connotations that make it an unpleasant word for you rather than the meaning of the word itself.

Sure, just make up words. Good luck finding a word in English at least that doesn't have more than one association depending on context though.

Mean-Girls-stop-trying-to-make-fetch-happen.gif

HIPPIE!

OMG. Hey OP. You and the guy that's reinventing the word hippie should become bffs.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Lots of words have more than one meaning but more importantly different connotations we associate with that word based on our experience.

For example Home is often associated with warmth comfort and love but for some people it is quite the opposite.

Maybe it is more your personal connotations that make it an unpleasant word for you rather than the meaning of the word itself.

Sure, just make up words. Good luck finding a word in English at least that doesn't have more than one association depending on context though.

Mean-Girls-stop-trying-to-make-fetch-happen.gif

HIPPIE!

Well played.
  • geotrice
    Options

Really... what's wrong?

ETA - Damn autocorrect.

Using the verb to cut in Cutting a tooth is like cutting calories. It's fine.
    The problem, for me, only appears if you say cutting without a specified object.
  • geotrice
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Cut the cheese.

Using the verb to cut in Cutting the cheese is like cutting calories. It's fine. But smelly.
    The problem, for me, only appears if you say cutting without a specified object.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Really... what's wrong?

It's 10:30am Saturday morning here :smiley:

• 3dogsrunning
    Options

Really... what's wrong?

ETA - Damn autocorrect.

Using the verb to cut in Cutting a tooth is like cutting calories. It's fine.

No, I mean literally, I'm awake and on the internet right now because my 8 month old is cutting a tooth and not sleeping.