Replies

• geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    What's wrong with you, Bro?

Really... what's wrong?

It's Friday night and were all on an Internet forum. Whatever's wrong, we all got it.

Your 8 month old is cutting a tooth too, huh?
    ETA - Damn autocorrect.

Using the verb to cut in Cutting a tooth is like cutting calories. It's fine.
    The problem, for me, only appears if you say cutting without a specified object.

No, I mean literally, I'm awake and on the internet right now because my 8 month old is cutting a tooth and not sleeping.

Cutting a tooth or the gums?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Really... what's wrong?

It's Friday night and were all on an Internet forum. Whatever's wrong, we all got it.

ETA - Damn autocorrect.

The problem, for me, only appears if you say cutting without a specified object.

No, I mean literally, I'm awake and on the internet right now because my 8 month old is cutting a tooth and not sleeping.

:indifferent:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Cut the cheese.

Using the verb to cut in Cutting the cheese is like cutting calories. It's fine. But smelly.
    So saying cutting without a specified object.....bothers you?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Really... what's wrong?

ETA - Damn autocorrect.

Unless that specified object is your hair. I think I figured out why you, specifically, have a negative connotation with the word cut.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    ^^^^lol
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Really... what's wrong?

ETA - Damn autocorrect.

I believe the common phrase is cutting a tooth or cutting teeth. Is this another objectionable usage?
  • geotrice
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

Using the verb to cut in Cutting the cheese is like cutting calories. It's fine. But smelly.

Mildly. If you were talking to someone, maybe a stranger or loose acquaintance, and you say, "I'm cutting again." What does that person think you're doing again? What someone says that you should start cutting? The meaning is derived solely by context, because the word cut it used so vaguely. Wouldn't a word that specifically means to cut calories be useful? That's all I'm saying.
  • geotrice
    Options

Really... what's wrong?

ETA - Damn autocorrect.

I believe the common phrase is cutting a tooth or cutting teeth. Is this another objectionable usage?

Sure. Add it to the list. Ha.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

Mildly. If you were talking to someone, maybe a stranger or loose acquaintance, and you say, "I'm cutting again." What does that person think you're doing again? What someone says that you should start cutting? The meaning is derived solely by context, because the word cut it used so vaguely. Wouldn't a word that specifically means to cut calories be useful? That's all I'm saying.

Except I've found a lot of people don't just randomly talk about cuts and bulks with strangers or random acquaintances, and usually talk in those terms with people that they know who share the same interest in that regard.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    What about driving? Do you have deep emotional problems brought on by the ambiguous use of driving?
  • geotrice
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    sjohnny wrote: »
    bladerunner2.jpg

How dare they use cut in a different way!

There+can+only+be+one_7023fe_3634882.jpg

Ha! The problem there isn't with the word cut but rather the word final.
  • PikaKnight
    edited April 2015
    Options
    bladerunner2.jpg

How dare they use cut in a different way!

There+can+only+be+one_7023fe_3634882.jpg

Ha! The problem there isn't with the word cut but rather the word final.

:indifferent:

So is it cut or final? Make up your mind.
  • geotrice
    Options
    What about driving? Do you have deep emotional problems brought on by the ambiguous use of driving?

Possibly. Can the ambiguous use of "driving" lead one to mistake the intended usage with that of self harm?
  • sjohnny
    Options

Possibly. Can the ambiguous use of "driving" lead one to mistake the intended usage with that of self harm?

Probably.

For you.
  • Alluminati
    Options

Probably.

For you.

Yup. Especially if he was on a car forum.
  • sjohnny
    Options

Probably.

For you.

Yup. Especially if he was on a car forum.

Or a golf forum. Or a hammer and nail forum. Or cattle forum.
  • geotrice
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

Except I've found a lot of people don't just randomly talk about cuts and bulks with strangers or random acquaintances, and usually talk in those terms with people that they know who share the same interest in that regard.

Maybe because using those terms with people outside of the MFP community would not understand or misinterpret the meaning? So now imagine the new people on the forums. Unfamiliar with community's assumed meaning they too could misinterpret the meaning. And if the meaning is self harm, you don't see a problem? If say a person is overweight, depressed, and looking for help to lose weight and then they see people using the term cutting, you're telling me you can't possibly see how that could be a problem? Or at the very least uninviting to the community?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

So that's your problem; cutting has more than one meaning? How about bulk and drop? I'm now waiting for you to get het up about suicide.
    2fingers.jpg
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Jimmy Fallon should write a thank you note.. for the word cutting!

ax6zrnxi6xc9.gif

It will be along the lines as the one he did on ceiling fans having two speeds!