emily_stew wrote: »
    geotrice wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Cut the cheese.

Using the verb to cut in Cutting the cheese is like cutting calories. It's fine. But smelly.
    The problem, for me, only appears if you say cutting without a specified object.
    So saying cutting without a specified object.....bothers you?

Mildly. If you were talking to someone, maybe a stranger or loose acquaintance, and you say, "I'm cutting again." What does that person think you're doing again? What someone says that you should start cutting? The meaning is derived solely by context, because the word cut it used so vaguely. Wouldn't a word that specifically means to cut calories be useful? That's all I'm saying.

Except I've found a lot of people don't just randomly talk about cuts and bulks with strangers or random acquaintances, and usually talk in those terms with people that they know who share the same interest in that regard.

Maybe because using those terms with people outside of the MFP community would not understand or misinterpret the meaning? So now imagine the new people on the forums. Unfamiliar with community's assumed meaning they too could misinterpret the meaning. And if the meaning is self harm, you don't see a problem? If say a person is overweight, depressed, and looking for help to lose weight and then they see people using the term cutting, you're telling me you can't possibly see how that could be a problem? Or at the very least uninviting to the community?

Do you actually think the term cutting (in relation to cutting calories/weight) is unique to MFP?

No, but...XW4SLo8.gif
    But is it a problem to talk about here?

Problem? No. Ridiculous and a conversation without a real point? Yes.

There is a point. It's real. Go back to page one.

I just did and skimmed the replies again. You might want to do the same, because everyone has said either "no" or "maybe a little until I understood what the term meant."

*nods*

And there have been people who have asked what cutting meant. And if that deters someone from using/trying MFP as a tool for their weight loss goals, then honestly, they must have been looking for any out. There are lots of forums that use this term and I don't see people reporting they've lost huge amounts of potential community members due to a misunderstanding of something that can easily be asked about (which it is) or googled.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I forgot about the magic mike gifs and pictures of booze on page 2 >:) this thread needs more gifs

200.gif
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

Using the verb to cut in Cutting the cheese is like cutting calories. It's fine. But smelly.
    The problem, for me, only appears if you say cutting without a specified object.

Mildly. If you were talking to someone, maybe a stranger or loose acquaintance, and you say, "I'm cutting again." What does that person think you're doing again? What someone says that you should start cutting? The meaning is derived solely by context, because the word cut it used so vaguely. Wouldn't a word that specifically means to cut calories be useful? That's all I'm saying.

Except I've found a lot of people don't just randomly talk about cuts and bulks with strangers or random acquaintances, and usually talk in those terms with people that they know who share the same interest in that regard.

Maybe because using those terms with people outside of the MFP community would not understand or misinterpret the meaning? So now imagine the new people on the forums. Unfamiliar with community's assumed meaning they too could misinterpret the meaning. And if the meaning is self harm, you don't see a problem? If say a person is overweight, depressed, and looking for help to lose weight and then they see people using the term cutting, you're telling me you can't possibly see how that could be a problem? Or at the very least uninviting to the community?

Do you actually think the term cutting (in relation to cutting calories/weight) is unique to MFP?

No, but...XW4SLo8.gif

There isn't. It's not. No.
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

No, but...XW4SLo8.gif

I just did and skimmed the replies again. You might want to do the same, because everyone has said either "no" or "maybe a little until I understood what the term meant."

Skimming is not reading.
    Not everyone was in agreement.
    Dismissing the maybes dismisses the point because the until part is problematic. There's a window of time for misinterpretation of the term with self harm. The whole reason for this post is identifying that possible and questioning if the term can be improved. If it can be improved, why don't we?

Saying you don't possible see how it's a problem doesn't make it not a problem. That's a logical fallacy.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    sjohnny wrote: »
    What about driving? Do you have deep emotional problems brought on by the ambiguous use of driving?

Possibly. Can the ambiguous use of "driving" lead one to mistake the intended usage with that of self harm?

Not unless someone is cutting you off .. :D
    John Bobbitt will get upset. Shh.

:laugh:

Well, would he? He ended up with a bigger package after that ordeal.
    Great. Piss off the UPS employees, now. :(

What can brown do for you?

Giggity

smoking-003.gif
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

No, but...XW4SLo8.gif

Skimming is not reading.
    Dismissing the maybes dismisses the point because the until part is problematic. There's a window of time for misinterpretation of the term with self harm. The whole reason for this post is identifying that possible and questioning if the term can be improved. If it can be improved, why don't we?

Saying you don't possible see how it's a problem doesn't make it not a problem. That's a logical fallacy.

Because we don't care.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    "Cutting" also has some negative associations. Every time I read a post which uses "cutting" I immediately think the person is suicidal. Maybe it's just me?

Wouldn't something like "curbing" or "trimming" or "thinning" be just as good?
    Lol
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

No, but...XW4SLo8.gif

Skimming is not reading.

Skimming is not reading? FFS. This whole thing is just taking nitpicking to another level.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I forgot about the magic mike gifs and pictures of booze on page 2 >:) this thread needs more gifs

200.gif

THANK YOU!
    I'd contribute but my internet connection is crappy..loading google images would take forever.

Pika can always be relied upon to find the right gif or two.

Except when I beat her to it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

No, but...XW4SLo8.gif

Skimming is not reading.

Skimming is not reading? FFS. This whole thing is just taking nitpicking to another level.

Yeah....saying skimming is reading is cutting it a little fine, IMO.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

200.gif

THANK YOU!
    I'd contribute but my internet connection is crappy..loading google images would take forever.

Pika can always be relied upon to find the right gif or two.

Except when I beat her to it.

giphy.gif
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »

Because we don't care.

7ac.jpg
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Skimming is not reading.

wslr4ec0aw6m.jpeg
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I tried,,,,,I really tried to read this thread all the way through,,,,,but, guess what, I couldn't make the cut.......
  • PikaKnight
    edited April 2015
    Options
    dufus12 wrote: »
    I tried,,,,,I really tried to read this thread all the way through,,,,,but, guess what, I couldn't make the cut.......

OMG. You used it as a "final". You are so busted.