Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Cut the cheese.

Using the verb to cut in Cutting the cheese is like cutting calories. It's fine. But smelly.
    The problem, for me, only appears if you say cutting without a specified object.
    So saying cutting without a specified object.....bothers you?

Mildly. If you were talking to someone, maybe a stranger or loose acquaintance, and you say, "I'm cutting again." What does that person think you're doing again? What someone says that you should start cutting? The meaning is derived solely by context, because the word cut it used so vaguely. Wouldn't a word that specifically means to cut calories be useful? That's all I'm saying.

Except I've found a lot of people don't just randomly talk about cuts and bulks with strangers or random acquaintances, and usually talk in those terms with people that they know who share the same interest in that regard.

Maybe because using those terms with people outside of the MFP community would not understand or misinterpret the meaning? So now imagine the new people on the forums. Unfamiliar with community's assumed meaning they too could misinterpret the meaning. And if the meaning is self harm, you don't see a problem? If say a person is overweight, depressed, and looking for help to lose weight and then they see people using the term cutting, you're telling me you can't possibly see how that could be a problem? Or at the very least uninviting to the community?

But once you're in the community, don't you pick up the jargon? I didn't ever apply the concept of "deficit" to the concept of calories before coming here, even though I had lost 20 pounds.

As someone who self-harmed as a teenager and has struggled with depression, after I learned this use of the term, it did not bother me at all. "To cut" is probably one of the more common phrases in our language. One negative usage can't ruin all of the myriad other applications.

True and thank you for sharing. I admitted that this could be nit-picking.
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Y'know, I kinda understand where OP is coming from. Sure, the word "cutting" has many different meanings depending on the context, but rarely do you use it as a solo verb. When you now the lawn, you don't say, "I'm going cutting," and you don't say "Oh, I'm just cutting" when you're trying to reduce your expenses. There's usually a recipient to the verb to make the sentence more comprehensive. Also, self-harm can be very triggering, and I can see how the word could very well be a trigger for someone. I know we're not expected to police our vernacular, but it's not like OP was completely ridiculous.

That's all I'm saying. *tears up*

*tear like crying, welling up, not like cutting, ripping
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Y'know, I kinda understand where OP is coming from. Sure, the word "cutting" has many different meanings depending on the context, but rarely do you use it as a solo verb. When you now the lawn, you don't say, "I'm going cutting," and you don't say "Oh, I'm just cutting" when you're trying to reduce your expenses. There's usually a recipient to the verb to make the sentence more comprehensive. Also, self-harm can be very triggering, and I can see how the word could very well be a trigger for someone. I know we're not expected to police our vernacular, but it's not like OP was completely ridiculous.

No it wasn't completely ridiculous. But the idea of term policing and creating a new word so it doesn't set anyone off is where the absurdity comes into play.

People come up with new words all the time. Every year new words are added the dictionary. That's not absurd. At some point "bestie" wasn't a word, now it is. Why can't there be a word dedicated to describing losing weight by eating at a deficit? Or more than one so there's synonyms to describe it with different emphapses?

http://public.oed.com/the-oed-today/recent-updates-to-the-oed/march-2014-update/new-words-list-march-2014/

You mean dieting?

I'd say CICO but it isn't technically a word and it's a term/concept that could be used to cover both maintaining and bulking.

Dieting, while commonly used to mean eating less, it can also mean eating with restrictions and not necessarily at a caloric deficit. Like going on a paleo diet or vegan diet. Those people would be dieting but may also be bulking or maintaining. A new word could end up being a synonym for dieting, but the emphasis should be on the caloric deficit.

Don't you think you're unnecessarily complicating this?

Maybe. I think it's more like looking for the right tool for the job. A tool box may have lots of screw drivers and a flathead will usually make do, but sometimes a Philips head is the right tool for the job.

And so can a coin be used, depending on the screw. Or a flat head used to open a can of paint. In other words, you make due with what you have and be flexible and realize it is possible for something to be used in different ways.

And that you don't always need separate/specific or complicated tools for one screw/job.

But sometimes you do need separate and specific tools for a job. You need a Pentalobe screwdriver to work on an Apple product. Maybe it's unnecessarily complicated, but when is the English language not unnecessarily complicated? But that's missing the point.

My point is that maybe we need to make it necessarily complicated because the one tool isn't getting the job done in the best way possible.

Except, in this case, the term is fine.

Again...

And that's fine. You're entitled to it. But I'm still entitled to mine.
    Then why are you insisting people change the way they think and speak?

I'm not insisting. I'm challenging. You can keep on doing whatever you want. I just wrote a post asking a yes or no question and am having a conversation with responders.

Challenging people to say what exactly? What should the term be changed to?
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    "Cutting" also has some negative associations. Every time I read a post which uses "cutting" I immediately think the person is suicidal. Maybe it's just me?

Wouldn't something like "curbing" or "trimming" or "thinning" be just as good?

I know exactly what you're talking about. When I first joined MFP, I saw a threat titled something like, "Anybody Want to Cut with Me?" I remember my heart skipping a beat and going into total shock. I immediately thought he was talking about physical cutting, then came to my senses and realized the forum powers-to-be would have something to say about a post like this. Anyway, I decided to just ask what cutting was. The OP explained to me it was another word for losing fat.

However, even with that experience, I have nothing against the term cutting as used for losing weight. :smile:

Exactly.

So you agree that you also have nothing against the term. I guess the thread is over right?

I guess for you...sure. No ones making you stay in this thread.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

Using the verb to cut in Cutting the cheese is like cutting calories. It's fine. But smelly.
    The problem, for me, only appears if you say cutting without a specified object.

Mildly. If you were talking to someone, maybe a stranger or loose acquaintance, and you say, "I'm cutting again." What does that person think you're doing again? What someone says that you should start cutting? The meaning is derived solely by context, because the word cut it used so vaguely. Wouldn't a word that specifically means to cut calories be useful? That's all I'm saying.

Except I've found a lot of people don't just randomly talk about cuts and bulks with strangers or random acquaintances, and usually talk in those terms with people that they know who share the same interest in that regard.

Maybe because using those terms with people outside of the MFP community would not understand or misinterpret the meaning? So now imagine the new people on the forums. Unfamiliar with community's assumed meaning they too could misinterpret the meaning. And if the meaning is self harm, you don't see a problem? If say a person is overweight, depressed, and looking for help to lose weight and then they see people using the term cutting, you're telling me you can't possibly see how that could be a problem? Or at the very least uninviting to the community?

But once you're in the community, don't you pick up the jargon? I didn't ever apply the concept of "deficit" to the concept of calories before coming here, even though I had lost 20 pounds.

As someone who self-harmed as a teenager and has struggled with depression, after I learned this use of the term, it did not bother me at all. "To cut" is probably one of the more common phrases in our language. One negative usage can't ruin all of the myriad other applications.

+1

It's as simple as learning to read in context. The term "cutting" for eliminating calories is not an MFP community term only. I see it often from weight lifters.

By the way, I'm going to a rodeo tomorrow and will be cutting cattle...I'll leave that to your imagination since it only has a negative meaning apparently ;)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    If we're talking about words people don't want to use anymore for one reason or another...can we also throw the word "panties" in the ring? That word is my trigger.

UUggghhhh I HATE that word!
    If we're talking about certain words conjuring certain thoughts... "Panties" is something I'd imagine a pedophile saying :confounded:
  • geotrice
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

+1

It's as simple as learning to read in context. The term "cutting" for eliminating calories is not an MFP community term only. I see it often from weight lifters.

By the way, I'm going to a rodeo tomorrow and will be cutting cattle...I'll leave that to your imagination since it only has a negative meaning apparently ;)

Cutting calories vs cutting.
    Cutting cattle vs cutting.
    Cutting costs vs cutting.
    Cutting paper vs cutting.
    Cutting teeth vs cutting.

Leave out the object and what does the term mean?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Defatting.

• DaveScadlock
    DaveScadlock Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's all about context. So, no.
    When I first joined I kept getting alarmed at seeing posts about juicing..I thought people were talking about steroid use. Turns out they're talking about a juice diet, although that's still cause for alarm.

Juicing shouldnt cause you alarm. Its quite practical.
  • sweetdixie92
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

+1

Leave out the object and it simply means cutting. That doesn't mean cutting your arms. So you're associating the word with that, when using the word "cutting" in general meant other things way before it was largely referred to as self-harm.

Context can also include the general area or place you use these terms. On MFP, we're (in general) talking about weight or calories. If somebody is unsure, it's really quite simple to ask.

I get what you're saying, but I don't see the need to change or invent a new word. Just explain what you mean.
  • geotrice
    Options

That's all I'm saying. *tears up*

*tear like crying, welling up, not like cutting, ripping

No it wasn't completely ridiculous. But the idea of term policing and creating a new word so it doesn't set anyone off is where the absurdity comes into play.

People come up with new words all the time. Every year new words are added the dictionary. That's not absurd. At some point "bestie" wasn't a word, now it is. Why can't there be a word dedicated to describing losing weight by eating at a deficit? Or more than one so there's synonyms to describe it with different emphapses?

http://public.oed.com/the-oed-today/recent-updates-to-the-oed/march-2014-update/new-words-list-march-2014/

You mean dieting?

I'd say CICO but it isn't technically a word and it's a term/concept that could be used to cover both maintaining and bulking.

Dieting, while commonly used to mean eating less, it can also mean eating with restrictions and not necessarily at a caloric deficit. Like going on a paleo diet or vegan diet. Those people would be dieting but may also be bulking or maintaining. A new word could end up being a synonym for dieting, but the emphasis should be on the caloric deficit.

Don't you think you're unnecessarily complicating this?

Maybe. I think it's more like looking for the right tool for the job. A tool box may have lots of screw drivers and a flathead will usually make do, but sometimes a Philips head is the right tool for the job.

And so can a coin be used, depending on the screw. Or a flat head used to open a can of paint. In other words, you make due with what you have and be flexible and realize it is possible for something to be used in different ways.

And that you don't always need separate/specific or complicated tools for one screw/job.

But sometimes you do need separate and specific tools for a job. You need a Pentalobe screwdriver to work on an Apple product. Maybe it's unnecessarily complicated, but when is the English language not unnecessarily complicated? But that's missing the point.

My point is that maybe we need to make it necessarily complicated because the one tool isn't getting the job done in the best way possible.

Except, in this case, the term is fine.

Again...

And that's fine. You're entitled to it. But I'm still entitled to mine.
    Then why are you insisting people change the way they think and speak?

I'm not insisting. I'm challenging. You can keep on doing whatever you want. I just wrote a post asking a yes or no question and am having a conversation with responders.

Challenging people to say what exactly? What should the term be changed to?
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    "Cutting" also has some negative associations. Every time I read a post which uses "cutting" I immediately think the person is suicidal. Maybe it's just me?

Wouldn't something like "curbing" or "trimming" or "thinning" be just as good?

I know exactly what you're talking about. When I first joined MFP, I saw a threat titled something like, "Anybody Want to Cut with Me?" I remember my heart skipping a beat and going into total shock. I immediately thought he was talking about physical cutting, then came to my senses and realized the forum powers-to-be would have something to say about a post like this. Anyway, I decided to just ask what cutting was. The OP explained to me it was another word for losing fat.

However, even with that experience, I have nothing against the term cutting as used for losing weight. :smile:

Exactly.

So you agree that you also have nothing against the term. I guess the thread is over right?

I guess for you...sure. No ones making you stay in this thread.

So go ahead and tell us what the term should be changed to? What would be to you liking?

Some combination of letters that's not currently a word.
    It should ideally phonetically sound light or quick. Maybe with a short "i" sounding like hit or flip.
    Monosyllabic.

Or you could see the first post for my original suggestions.
  • geotrice
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

+1

Context can also include the general area or place you use these terms. On MFP, we're (in general) talking about weight or calories. If somebody is unsure, it's really quite simple to ask.

I get what you're saying, but I don't see the need to change or invent a new word. Just explain what you mean.

Did the word selfie need to be created when self-portrait worked for centuries?
  • geotrice
    Options
    Defatting.

That works.
  • sweetdixie92
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

+1

Leave out the object and it simply means cutting. That doesn't mean cutting your arms. So you're associating the word with that, when using the word "cutting" in general meant other things way before it was largely referred to as self-harm.

(Sorry, edited while you wrote that)

And my opinion? Nope. I find it annoying when people need to constantly invent new words.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Shredding?? Or is that already taken?
  • geotrice
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

+1

(Sorry, edited while you wrote that)

And my opinion? Nope. I find it annoying when people need to constantly invent new words.

So now "cutting" largely refers to self harm? Right that's my point. Generally, that's the thing that "cutting" refers to if you don't qualify it. Yes it has lots of meanings if you qualify it. That's why it bothers me when people use it on MFP and other fitness/health places without qualifying it as "cutting calories" or "cutting fat"
  • geotrice
    Options
    Shredding?? Or is that already taken?

It's better than cutting IMHO.