Does the term "cutting" bother you?

Options

Replies

• dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    See that 4th puppy from the left.....?????? It's saying, ' No, no, no, no....''' You watch it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    If we're talking about words people don't want to use anymore for one reason or another...can we also throw the word "panties" in the ring? That word is my trigger.

Moist

LOL. Now I want to go watch Dr. Horrible
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If we're talking about words people don't want to use anymore for one reason or another...can we also throw the word "panties" in the ring? That word is my trigger.

Moist

giphy.gif

Out before the inevitable meme.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    "Cutting" also has some negative associations. Every time I read a post which uses "cutting" I immediately think the person is suicidal. Maybe it's just me?

Wouldn't something like "curbing" or "trimming" or "thinning" be just as good?

Also, FWIW and because sometimes I like to be a fun sponge who is just AWESOME at parties, people who cut - generally - are not suicidal; however, suicide can be a nasty little side effect when a someone who self harms cuts too deep, etc.

Now here's a gif of a basset hound to make things better:
    giphy.gif
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Take your pick, which one is next on the list...

bikini
    bra
    corset
    lingerie
    shorts
    undergarment
    underpants
    undershirt
    boxers
    briefs
    BVDs
    drawers
    G-string
    jockeys
    loincloth
    panties
    skivvies
    underclothes
    underclothing
    undies
    boxer shorts
    intimate things
    jockey shorts
    long johns

AND Underroos

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Moist

giphy.gif

Out before the inevitable meme.
    2147266.jpg
    Get back here young lady!
  • SconnieCat
    Options

Moist

Ugh.

giphy.gif
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    10982443_10202444279347250_4178770522412955959_n.jpg

11108217_10202444279867263_1536428102365156023_n.jpg

18805_10202444280587281_7979286930829932118_n.jpg
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Y'know, I kinda understand where OP is coming from. Sure, the word "cutting" has many different meanings depending on the context, but rarely do you use it as a solo verb. When you now the lawn, you don't say, "I'm going cutting," and you don't say "Oh, I'm just cutting" when you're trying to reduce your expenses. There's usually a recipient to the verb to make the sentence more comprehensive. Also, self-harm can be very triggering, and I can see how the word could very well be a trigger for someone. I know we're not expected to police our vernacular, but it's not like OP was completely ridiculous.
  • SconnieCat
    Options

Moist

Ugh.

giphy.gif

Flaccid. Another unpleasant word, for many reasons

Pustular

Oh I actually quite like "pustular". I need to use that more in my day-to-day interactions with people. Don't ask me how... probably it will be in describing my commute into work in the mornings. Or my exes. Or something.
  • dufus12
    Options
    Think we all cut to the quick now,,,,,,
  • dufus12
    Options
    lets be honest - we know what cutting means...........and the OP has had fun with us and no doubt is laughing *kitten* off that we even wasted time debating issue. Kudos to him. More fool us,
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Awkward word "Ornery"..
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Y'know, I kinda understand where OP is coming from. Sure, the word "cutting" has many different meanings depending on the context, but rarely do you use it as a solo verb. When you now the lawn, you don't say, "I'm going cutting," and you don't say "Oh, I'm just cutting" when you're trying to reduce your expenses. There's usually a recipient to the verb to make the sentence more comprehensive. Also, self-harm can be very triggering, and I can see how the word could very well be a trigger for someone. I know we're not expected to police our vernacular, but it's not like OP was completely ridiculous.

That's all I'm saying. *tears up*

*tear like crying, welling up, not like cutting, ripping

No it wasn't completely ridiculous. But the idea of term policing and creating a new word so it doesn't set anyone off is where the absurdity comes into play.

People come up with new words all the time. Every year new words are added the dictionary. That's not absurd. At some point "bestie" wasn't a word, now it is. Why can't there be a word dedicated to describing losing weight by eating at a deficit? Or more than one so there's synonyms to describe it with different emphapses?

http://public.oed.com/the-oed-today/recent-updates-to-the-oed/march-2014-update/new-words-list-march-2014/
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »

That's all I'm saying. *tears up*

*tear like crying, welling up, not like cutting, ripping

No it wasn't completely ridiculous. But the idea of term policing and creating a new word so it doesn't set anyone off is where the absurdity comes into play.

People come up with new words all the time. Every year new words are added the dictionary. That's not absurd. At some point "bestie" wasn't a word, now it is. Why can't there be a word dedicated to describing losing weight by eating at a deficit? Or more than one so there's synonyms to describe it with different emphapses?

http://public.oed.com/the-oed-today/recent-updates-to-the-oed/march-2014-update/new-words-list-march-2014/

You mean dieting?

I'd say CICO but it isn't technically a word and it's a term/concept that could be used to cover both maintaining and bulking.