Does the term "cutting" bother you?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Did you ever stop to think that people who aren't familiar with mental illness wouldn't even have the slightest clue what cutting means in the context you're talking about??
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    On a forum like this, I think most users who have been around have a general understanding that it's a "diet" term. However, to incoming and new users it can be a pretty overwhelming term. I don't particularly like people using it, because of the negative connotations the word carries in Western society today, and because it has the potential to be very triggering to the wrong person. I think there's lots of more appropriate, more descriptive words and phrases that could be used in its place, but once people latch onto a word they seldom let it go.

Saying "cutting calories" or "cutting *insert diet thing here*" would be a far better thing in my opinion, and then slang could come into play later on in a thread that it's already been established is about said thing.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So anyhow...

...how's the cut going, OP?
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Did you ever stop to think that people who aren't familiar with mental illness wouldn't even have the slightest clue what cutting means in the context you're talking about??

But on the flip side, people who don't get it in the context of dieting/fitness would potentially only get it in the context of self-injury. Two sides of the same coin and both valid, I think the OP is just going on what "cutting" means in usual societal context (i.e. in television, gossip magazines, movies, literature, etc).
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Cut the cheese.

Using the verb to cut in Cutting the cheese is like cutting calories. It's fine. But smelly.
    The problem, for me, only appears if you say cutting without a specified object.
    So saying cutting without a specified object.....bothers you?

Mildly. If you were talking to someone, maybe a stranger or loose acquaintance, and you say, "I'm cutting again." What does that person think you're doing again? What someone says that you should start cutting? The meaning is derived solely by context, because the word cut it used so vaguely. Wouldn't a word that specifically means to cut calories be useful? That's all I'm saying.

Except I've found a lot of people don't just randomly talk about cuts and bulks with strangers or random acquaintances, and usually talk in those terms with people that they know who share the same interest in that regard.

Maybe because using those terms with people outside of the MFP community would not understand or misinterpret the meaning? So now imagine the new people on the forums. Unfamiliar with community's assumed meaning they too could misinterpret the meaning. And if the meaning is self harm, you don't see a problem? If say a person is overweight, depressed, and looking for help to lose weight and then they see people using the term cutting, you're telling me you can't possibly see how that could be a problem? Or at the very least uninviting to the community?

But once you're in the community, don't you pick up the jargon? I didn't ever apply the concept of "deficit" to the concept of calories before coming here, even though I had lost 20 pounds.

As someone who self-harmed as a teenager and has struggled with depression, after I learned this use of the term, it did not bother me at all. "To cut" is probably one of the more common phrases in our language. One negative usage can't ruin all of the myriad other applications.

+1

It's as simple as learning to read in context. The term "cutting" for eliminating calories is not an MFP community term only. I see it often from weight lifters.

By the way, I'm going to a rodeo tomorrow and will be cutting cattle...I'll leave that to your imagination since it only has a negative meaning apparently ;)

Cutting calories vs cutting.
    Cutting cattle vs cutting.
    Cutting costs vs cutting.
    Cutting paper vs cutting.
    Cutting teeth vs cutting.

Leave out the object and what does the term mean?

Context can also include the general area or place you use these terms. On MFP, we're (in general) talking about weight or calories. If somebody is unsure, it's really quite simple to ask.

I get what you're saying, but I don't see the need to change or invent a new word. Just explain what you mean.

Did the word selfie need to be created when self-portrait worked for centuries?

Leave out the object and it simply means cutting. That doesn't mean cutting your arms. So you're associating the word with that, when using the word "cutting" in general meant other things way before it was largely referred to as self-harm.

(Sorry, edited while you wrote that)

And my opinion? Nope. I find it annoying when people need to constantly invent new words.

So now "cutting" largely refers to self harm? Right that's my point. Generally, that's the thing that "cutting" refers to if you don't qualify it. Yes it has lots of meanings if you qualify it. That's why it bothers me when people use it on MFP and other fitness/health places without qualifying it as "cutting calories" or "cutting fat"

Maybe if more people begin referring to cutting calories as cutting, it will become a more positive term, right? Or maybe if we put the same effort into helping those who do self-harm as we do into nitpicking terms, we eventually won't automatically associate it with that.

A word is a word. Cutting in itself is not a bad thing.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Not to state the obvious here but this is not a self-harm forum so cutting or cutting down or cutting out means leaving something out or reducing something. If the term reminds you of something else than its your perception of it. We all have our own perception, that's what makes life interesting. You're either a glass half full or half empty person. Both are correct. It doesn't bother me in the slightest when taking in context. This is after all a place where people want to be fit and healthy and have pals.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    See I always thought "cutting" was another way of saying... Getting cut, getting ripped, getting shredded. Not cutting calories, though obviously that would be necessary, but I never thought that was the origin of the term. Reducing body fat so you can see your awesomely cut muscles better. I had absolutely ZERO exposure to the bodybuilding community before joining MFP, and it was one of the easier "jargon" terms to figure out. Bulk and cut, oh yeah, that makes sense.

OP, I'm confused why you think "shredding" is better than "cutting"? Shredding what? Cheese? Paper? A body in the chipper-shredder?

You also said "So now "cutting" largely refers to self harm? Right that's my point. Generally, that's the thing that "cutting" refers to if you don't qualify it." I think that's a pretty big assumption on your part. I think there is a large portion of the population that is unfamiliar with the practice, and even if they have heard of it, it would not be the first thing that comes to mind. At most, they would think, He's cutting? Cutting what?

So in short, no. No it doesn't bother me. And on the long list of words with multiple meanings depending on context, it's not one of the more confusing ones in my opinion. Sorry.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Leaning. Then we could call the former cutters 'leaners'. And the Australian Prime Minister could criticise them, when he's talking about chopping welfare and how there is a culture of lifters and leaners. But that could get confusing, because cutters-now-leaners are often also lifters too. Now I'm confused.

Shredding makes me think of Ninja turtles.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yeah, no I get that it's a common term. I'm not discounting it. I understand that it's referencing cutting calories from your diet. From that perspective it's fine. Not ideal or precise, in my opinion. But I get it.

But there's another aspect: it's often used as an antonym to "bulking". Bulking implies adding weight or size to the body. I guess, for me, the duality doesn't really hold up between the terms. One is about the changing the body, the other is about changing the diet. Combine that with the unintentional overlap with the unfortunate meaning and it seems a bit problematic. Especially if the focus on "cutting calories" should be done in a healthy way.

Don't mind me...just picking nits. Again maybe it's just me. :neutral:

Ummm no. Both cutting and bulking is about changing weight/size of the body, not necessarily what you eat. I have people on my FL that eat the same things in a cut as they do a bulk..just more or less depending on the stage.

And I don't understand how this somehow makes cutting calories healthy or unhealthy?

But cutting isn't the antonym of bulking. But I it's used that way my guess for lack of a better term. In fact bulking doesn't seem to have a defined antonym. I guess I just see an opportunity for a new verb to mean eating less calories.

412.png

Eta- didn't realize someone already posted this. Didn't read through entire thread before posting.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Yeah, no I get that it's a common term. I'm not discounting it. I understand that it's referencing cutting calories from your diet. From that perspective it's fine. Not ideal or precise, in my opinion. But I get it.

But there's another aspect: it's often used as an antonym to "bulking". Bulking implies adding weight or size to the body. I guess, for me, the duality doesn't really hold up between the terms. One is about the changing the body, the other is about changing the diet. Combine that with the unintentional overlap with the unfortunate meaning and it seems a bit problematic. Especially if the focus on "cutting calories" should be done in a healthy way.

Don't mind me...just picking nits. Again maybe it's just me. :neutral:

Ummm no. Both cutting and bulking is about changing weight/size of the body, not necessarily what you eat. I have people on my FL that eat the same things in a cut as they do a bulk..just more or less depending on the stage.

And I don't understand how this somehow makes cutting calories healthy or unhealthy?

But cutting isn't the antonym of bulking. But I it's used that way my guess for lack of a better term. In fact bulking doesn't seem to have a defined antonym. I guess I just see an opportunity for a new verb to mean eating less calories.

412.png

I really want to call my next dog Gretchen Weiners, so I can tell it to stop trying to make fetch happen.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Dude. Don't ever work in a school with young kids where you hear, quite literally, ALL freaking day "so and so cut me". You'd lose your ish in a heartbeat.
  • PrizePopple
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sweet. MFP is freaking out with posting. :grumble:
  • PrizePopple
    edited April 2015
    Options
    And because clearly the "error" message I got was pure crap.
  • PrizePopple
    Options
    shannonbun wrote: »

But on the flip side, people who don't get it in the context of dieting/fitness would potentially only get it in the context of self-injury. Two sides of the same coin and both valid, I think the OP is just going on what "cutting" means in usual societal context (i.e. in television, gossip magazines, movies, literature, etc).

But really, WTF is the point of coming onto a health and fitness site and picking apart terms that are used?
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Nah, what bothers me is people going out of their way to take offense at things that aren't meant to be offensive in the slightest. Way more trouble is caused by irate, oversensitive people looking to be offended than the use of the word "cutting" which was popular in this sense way before it became a popular piece for bad journalists to show false sympathy over.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    For your next thread can you cover the word "salad"?
    Because "salad tosser" is, you know, a bit upsetting.
  • Paperchains38
    Paperchains38 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am just going to put my little view on things, i like looking at things a little different and sometimes that can be in a negative way (yes i am 'that' person). When i read about bulking and cutting i just think of someone throwing up and shelf harming. Yes i know what both words mean in the context of muscle building etc but i just can't help my mind going to it's dark place for a few seconds.
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I am just going to put my little view on things, i like looking at things a little different and sometimes that can be in a negative way (yes i am 'that' person). When i read about bulking and cutting i just think of someone throwing up and shelf harming. Yes i know what both words mean in the context of muscle building etc but i just can't help my mind going to it's dark place for a few seconds.

Now we getting into 'shelf harming'??? They are going to be so cut up about this when I try to lessen their load,,,,,,,,Truly.