emily_stew wrote: »
    geotrice wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Cut the cheese.

Using the verb to cut in Cutting the cheese is like cutting calories. It's fine. But smelly.
    The problem, for me, only appears if you say cutting without a specified object.
    So saying cutting without a specified object.....bothers you?

Mildly. If you were talking to someone, maybe a stranger or loose acquaintance, and you say, "I'm cutting again." What does that person think you're doing again? What someone says that you should start cutting? The meaning is derived solely by context, because the word cut it used so vaguely. Wouldn't a word that specifically means to cut calories be useful? That's all I'm saying.

Except I've found a lot of people don't just randomly talk about cuts and bulks with strangers or random acquaintances, and usually talk in those terms with people that they know who share the same interest in that regard.

Maybe because using those terms with people outside of the MFP community would not understand or misinterpret the meaning? So now imagine the new people on the forums. Unfamiliar with community's assumed meaning they too could misinterpret the meaning. And if the meaning is self harm, you don't see a problem? If say a person is overweight, depressed, and looking for help to lose weight and then they see people using the term cutting, you're telling me you can't possibly see how that could be a problem? Or at the very least uninviting to the community?

Do you actually think the term cutting (in relation to cutting calories/weight) is unique to MFP?

No, but...XW4SLo8.gif
    But is it a problem to talk about here?

Problem? No. Ridiculous and a conversation without a real point? Yes.

There is a point. It's real. Go back to page one.

I just did and skimmed the replies again. You might want to do the same, because everyone has said either "no" or "maybe a little until I understood what the term meant."

*nods*

And there have been people who have asked what cutting meant. And if that deters someone from using/trying MFP as a tool for their weight loss goals, then honestly, they must have been looking for any out. There are lots of forums that use this term and I don't see people reporting they've lost huge amounts of potential community members due to a misunderstanding of something that can easily be asked about (which it is) or googled.

Honestly they must have been looking for any out. And you stand by and do nothing. Not even consider the association could be a bad thing.

Just because you don't see something, doesn't mean it's not real.
    sjohnny wrote: »
    Cut the cheese.

Using the verb to cut in Cutting the cheese is like cutting calories. It's fine. But smelly.
    The problem, for me, only appears if you say cutting without a specified object.

Mildly. If you were talking to someone, maybe a stranger or loose acquaintance, and you say, "I'm cutting again." What does that person think you're doing again? What someone says that you should start cutting? The meaning is derived solely by context, because the word cut it used so vaguely. Wouldn't a word that specifically means to cut calories be useful? That's all I'm saying.

Except I've found a lot of people don't just randomly talk about cuts and bulks with strangers or random acquaintances, and usually talk in those terms with people that they know who share the same interest in that regard.

Maybe because using those terms with people outside of the MFP community would not understand or misinterpret the meaning? So now imagine the new people on the forums. Unfamiliar with community's assumed meaning they too could misinterpret the meaning. And if the meaning is self harm, you don't see a problem? If say a person is overweight, depressed, and looking for help to lose weight and then they see people using the term cutting, you're telling me you can't possibly see how that could be a problem? Or at the very least uninviting to the community?

Do you actually think the term cutting (in relation to cutting calories/weight) is unique to MFP?

No, but...XW4SLo8.gif

I just did and skimmed the replies again. You might want to do the same, because everyone has said either "no" or "maybe a little until I understood what the term meant."

Skimming is not reading.
    Not everyone was in agreement.
    Dismissing the maybes dismisses the point because the until part is problematic. There's a window of time for misinterpretation of the term with self harm. The whole reason for this post is identifying that possible and questioning if the term can be improved. If it can be improved, why don't we?

Saying you don't possible see how it's a problem doesn't make it not a problem. That's a logical fallacy.

Because we don't care.

Welp. There you go.
    Cut the cheese.

No, but...XW4SLo8.gif

Skimming is not reading.
    Dismissing the maybes dismisses the point because the until part is problematic. There's a window of time for misinterpretation of the term with self harm. The whole reason for this post is identifying that possible and questioning if the term can be improved. If it can be improved, why don't we?

Saying you don't possible see how it's a problem doesn't make it not a problem. That's a logical fallacy.

You sound like a first year English major. Or maybe Sociology. You're just arguing something for the sake of it and attempting to create an issue where there is none.

So do you. Except where I'm looking at an issue, you're avoiding it. Instead of looking at the topic your making assumptions about the one making the argument. A first year English student would know that's an argumentum ad hominem.
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

No, but...XW4SLo8.gif

Skimming is not reading.

Because we don't care.

You care a little. Enough to spend time commenting, at least.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

LOL at thinking cutting is only used on MFP. It's a common term in many fitness minded communities, especially in those that encourage or have knowledge/experience in bodybuilding and strength training.

I don't think it's used ONLY on MFP. I used MFP because that's where we currently are. I guess I could have said the fitness/health/dieting/nutrition/etc community's at large. But MFP is only three letters.
    You don't see it much in mainly-women diet communities.

I think it gained usage because men find that 'dieting' sounds vain and feminine. But 'CUTTING'... sounds a little violent, vaguely cool, like maybe you'll wind up looking 'cut' someday.

So, yeah, it's mildly eye roll-worthy, to me.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Honestly they must have been looking for any out. And you stand by and do nothing. Not even consider the association could be a bad thing.

Just because you don't see something, doesn't mean it's not real.

I'm not here to babysit others or walk on eggshells. If they can't be bothered to ask or look it up, then that's not my problem. And no, I'm not going to sit here and spend time trying to be uber passive just in case someone who can't be bothered to ask or look something up might get scared off.

• dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am so cut up about this, it not nice,,,,,,,lets just be pals,,,,,,no need to be cut up about things,
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

No, but...XW4SLo8.gif

Skimming is not reading.

Because we don't care.

Only that I find it amusing that this bothers you. Because it's really a stupid thing. And I find stupid things amusing.

I don't care that it bothers you though.

Not even a little bit.

And I'm not going to stop calling it cutting. In fact, I may start saying it more often now. So I can counteract whatever nonsense you're trying to start.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

No, but...XW4SLo8.gif

Skimming is not reading.

Because we don't care.

Nope.
    Just rubber necking.
  • geotrice
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

No, but...XW4SLo8.gif

Skimming is not reading.

Because we don't care.

Only that I find it amusing that this bothers you. Because it's really a stupid thing. And I find stupid things amusing.

Not even a little bit.

And I'm not going to stop calling it cutting. In fact, I may start saying it more often now. So I can counteract whatever nonsense you're trying to start.

Hey, do whatever. I'm not your momma. But if you do increase the amount of time you use the term cutting solely to counteract my thought, then you do, in fact, care about my thoughts.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Here is just a JIF...

llzkbg1ftfg8.gif

BTW, hasn't this cutting thing been hashed to death already.. :D:D
  • sjohnny
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Cut the cheese.

LOL at thinking cutting is only used on MFP. It's a common term in many fitness minded communities, especially in those that encourage or have knowledge/experience in bodybuilding and strength training.

I don't think it's used ONLY on MFP. I used MFP because that's where we currently are. I guess I could have said the fitness/health/dieting/nutrition/etc community's at large. But MFP is only three letters.

I think it gained usage because men find that 'dieting' sounds vain and feminine. But 'CUTTING'... sounds a little violent, vaguely cool, like maybe you'll wind up looking 'cut' someday.

Have you gone over to the bodybuilding website? Because the women there use cutting to mean losing body fat. Do those women not count?

Lil-Bit-Reckless.jpg
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here's a cute one... They are saying keep it going...

qgmmgqz69tmv.gif
    dogs.gif 821.3K
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Cut the cheese.

No, but...XW4SLo8.gif

Skimming is not reading.

Because we don't care.

Not even a little bit.

Hey, do whatever. I'm not your momma. But if you do increase the amount of time you use the term cutting solely to counteract my thought, then you do, in fact, care about my thoughts.

Okay then.

I'm going to go ahead and cut out of here.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    If we're talking about words people don't want to use anymore for one reason or another...can we also throw the word "panties" in the ring? That word is my trigger.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Cut the cheese.

Have you gone over to the bodybuilding website? Because the women there use cutting to mean losing body fat. Do those women not count?
    THE bodybuilding website? Is there just one? LOL.

No, those women "don't count" in the sense that I wasn't referring to EVERY diet web site with mainly women. Of course bodybuilding women use the term. It's part of the vernacular. It doesn't mean it didn't start because dudes preferred it to the verb their girlfriends and mothers use.
  • geotrice
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    If we're talking about words people don't want to use anymore for one reason or another...can we also throw the word "panties" in the ring? That word is my trigger.

So you're not a fan of Lex and Terry?
  • geotrice
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Here is just a JIF...

llzkbg1ftfg8.gif

BTW, hasn't this cutting thing been hashed to death already.. :D:D

Funny AND an argument from repetition. Nice!
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »

So you're not a fan of Lex and Terry?

That reference was so over my head I had to run to the Google machine to help.