WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2015

Options

Replies

• aletaforeman
    aletaforeman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday,
    back to work today. Tuesdays are challenging days - it's our Costco shop day after work and usually grab a bite there before shopping. DSO and I share a roasted turkey provolone and chicken strips/fries. I counted as best I could which took me over for the day. I was good before the Costco trip but I have to say I was hungry. I'm going to have to plan my Tuesday evenings better. Tomorrow's another day.

Lilian - your GD is sweet.
    Michele/NC - good for you with the exercise.
    Barbie - your quote is bang on.
    Pip - keep up the good work and I envy your nice weather down there.
    Lesley/Tasmania - good luck in the contest.
    Vicki - keep moving forward and don't be so hard on yourself. We all have lapses.
    Molly - beautiful pictures from your trip.
    Terri-mom and Carey - thanks for posting.
    Everyone else, so many to mention - keep up the good work.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support ladies !

Sylvia ... Thank you for a much needed laugh!

Terri ... I completely understand your feelings about son not making the team. I've felt the same ... It's a form of rejection, albeit vicariously. And it's false. Here's what I know about HS baseball... It is always, always politically motivated. Sorry your son (and you) had to experience that.

Heading to bed...

Beth in WNY

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    qpdvv0w7j48b.jpg
    [img]https://15254b2dcaab7f5478ab-24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53.s sl.cf1.rackcdn.com/mfp-en.vanillaforums.com/editor/cm/glrzx2ade8uk.jpg[/img]

Couple of pics of me chillaxin!!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I read everything and just hanging for a bit before bed. Still really tired from my morning hike today I tried to catch up in steps to Sylvia and Barbie and got to 19,860 - 8.28 miles...not my "record" best but a high day for me.
    Love all the pictures!

sleep well friends!
    Kim in N. Cal
  • naiomi2015
    naiomi2015 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Busey day today. I did ok food wise. I thought I'd be working from home all day but instead ended up w/a 80 mile round trip drive because of a meeting I nearly forgot. All in all not bad except I am very far behind in answering calls and e-mails. Tomorrow I finally get the stitches out of my back
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    "Lesley - what have you been crying about?? I thought you were sad but not crying sad about Mildred."
    I was crying about my aweful Starting photos for Tom's Big Burn. I was looking at my mum NOT me
    Well I picked myself up and did my training = 844 cals
    Cleaned house, ironed and pruned roses too
    3pm and done 12632 steps and 8 floor
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I am partially back. Maybe cautionary back???

Lillian what a cutie! Is he little boy behind her part of your gang also?

Tere, please don't take this personally. We used to go to a common buffet on Sunday afternoons, But you knew you needed to be out or almost done when the African American churches let out. They would come in droves. And the fancy cars and fancy hats. The guys with their suits and matching ties and hats also. That was one fancy group of people. I always new not to go to the church they went to because of how late they let out. One time our music minister had a choir from one of the African American churches join us for a Sunday morning. We combined choirs. I never sang so many choruses to one song before. And you know you have been preached to!!!!

Heather, so glad you husband got his surgery scheduled. I know it's just me but if my husband were having surgery, I would be by his side all day long.

Sylvia, you have had a very momentous last day in Spain, Have a safe trip back home and please allow yourself enough rest time when you get home. I know your grand kids will love you bubble bath story!!!

Kim, no you did not misunderstand. I just make a very lousy retired RN.

Pat, thanks for the article. I haven't looked into that medicine but so far I haven't qualified for any of the newer medicines do my lack of many lesions and the fat that I am very stable.

Meg, the story of my probable MS. That is actually a sub group of the RRMS groups of RRMS patients with MS. I had all the symptoms, the positive spinal tap but I just had one lesion in my brain. Multiple is there for a reason. And I was singular. But the lesion is on both sides of the pons area of the brain so pretty much everything goes through there before it goes down the brain stem. It ws when I finally had a new symptom that she changed it to RRMS. I had always had the chronic cognitive problems along with a persistent weak right leg and of course all the persistent weird little pins and needles, electric jolts, feelings of wet spot where there is no wet spot, etc.

I have a huge Mason Jar that's about hal full of Grandmas from both sides and my Mom's buttons. I do add to it and I don'tknow which daughter will get it. Probably the only one who shows an interest in it. Right now Trinity, the oldest grand daughters likes to sew and make her own designs. So it may go to her. She loves all the stories of my family. After I tell her one she will just say, tell me another one.

Well my shoulder felt much better this morning and even better tonight. I am not using the heating pad as much although the cat does enjoy it. I'm still taking Advil, just not eating it. I decided to take the bull by the horns and do what I assume most wives do and jsut go ahead and get information on the two main drugs for Charlie's ulcerative colitis. One is given every 6-8 weeks in an infusion center, would have to pay for the infusion center price and medicine, the other is every 2 weeks and you give it to yourself, or wife does it more than likely. But he is better since they started the cortisone. The cortisone is meant to get a person out of a flair and not full time. But his life is easier now so he is getting spoiled and sees no need in even talking about these medicines. I finally got him to tell me thank you for at least getting some info. But a thank you that you have to pry out of some one isn't the kind you want. I think he felt a little guilty because after supper he went out and trimmed our awful bushes. These things are almost as tall as the house now and our house is a bi-level! It's very difficult to get to the front door is you are carrying something. You sure can't carry an umbrella.Yes, they do serve as a sound barrier and some of an energy saver. But the way they were you coudln't even see there was a house behind them.

Night, night, Joyce, Indiana

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good night everyone! My DSIL came over and we got a lot done on my sale. So much to do. Exhausted. I might get behind here because the next couple of weeks will be crazy!

MMinMD- thanks for your support! We can't do this without each other!

Lillian - I love black labs. I had one when we lived on the lake and he was always in the water. Beautiful granddaughter!

Janet -I missed you! Glad you are back and had and are still having fun visiting with your friend.

Tere- you will lose way more than 50% of your dimples with squats! Go to http://stronglifts.com he has videos of how to do squats correctly.

Pip - Vegas here I come TOO! My DH won a promotion through his work and we will be going sometime before August. I don't know the exact date yet, but if it is the same time maybe we could meet up!

Heather- our Fathers are very influential flaws and all. So happy for your DH.

Sylvia- love your hot tub adventure!
    Wow! Those pictures are unbelievable!

Terri - I feel your pain for your DS. That happened to my DS in HS hockey. He took it better than me.

Carol in NC - I hope your shoulder gets better so we can be lifting buddies! Sorry to hear about your DD.

Lisa - Great NSV! Congrats on your book signing.

Tere- I have never used kettle bells, but my DB does and does a "swim" movement which changed his body composition dramatically!

Vicki - too bad about your teeth. Sometimes they have to make little adjustments. I hope it only takes the one time.

Katla- you and your DH are so adventurous!

Meg- have you ever crushed up potato chips in ice cream?

Michele - I got a prescription for doxycycline and will start it if I continue to get worse. I want to hold off since DH is sick. With being sick last year I don't want my body to become resistant to the antibiotics. I should know by tomorrow or Thursday. Can't wait to see your finished masterpieces!

Aletaforeman- I enjoy eating at Costco once a month.

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Sylvia: lol! Moments like that are often the highlights of life, just having fun and rolling with it. Thanks so much for the photos; I’m really enjoying them.

Carol: sorry about your shoulder, but still very happy to see you’re feeling so much better in general.

Vicki: hope your dentist can help you fast.

Kim: I like your “fun things every week”.

Meg: with you on the chips. I love them too.

Joyce: thinking of you and DH.

Still sick; coughing up a storm and very weak. I left work early yesterday and slept for an hour with cold compresses on my eyes.

Hope we all have a good day!

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone, now I can draw breath! ! ! !

Just been one of those. . . . :ohwell:

I felt really bad last night about not being there for DH's full recovery period and also, Joyce, you are right, about not going with him to the hospital. I ate my feelings :sad: and had a beer. :cry: I was awake in the night feeling guilty and bad. So I had a brainwave! I am going to be with him in the hospital for as long as it takes, which won't be long I think. The parking is impossible there, which was one of the problems, so we will go in together by train. We can park at our local station. Then I decided we could get a taxi all the way back to the local station when he is fit to leave and I can drive the car home. It will be expensive, but it is a load off my mind. I can't face driving about looking for a parking space (the hospital tells you not to bring your car) . It is a Park and Ride tourist city. It's only money! ! ! ! ! ! ! :ohwell:
    Then we managed to get hold of his sister this morning and she is going to come down to look after him. :drinker: I will be there the first night and so will she and she will stay on until the Thursday. She is an ICU sister :laugh: So all is fine.
    It is just a hernia repair, but the poor man has never been in hospital and hardly ever sees a doctor except for his anxiety. Tomorrow he goes in for the pre op checks. :)

So I can go away with a clear conscience now. :D It wouldn't be so bad, but we have the grandchildren staying with us this weekend so we will be full on.

Then just as I was rushing to get my exercise finished in time to take DH to cricket I got a phone call from the flat beneath my rental to say that water was leaking through the bathroom ceiling and they had had to isolate the shower. :sad: So I had to sort all that out with my managing agents and they are sending a man round.

Then I took DH to the cricket.

Joan - The Trouble with Herbert is still earning me US royalties as it is an educational text book. I'm just a bit sad that they are not using the original cover. It was like the one for the sequel, Herbert Saves the Day. (Kim, there is more Herbert ! ! ! )

Meg - it's called WINDOWS. I am Heather Eyles.

Margaret - thank you, thank you ! ! ! ! !

Cynthia - hope your crud goes away toute suite. ;)

Right, must get on and do some "proper" writing. :laugh:

Heather, feeling more zen, in Hampshire UK o:)
  • naiomi2015
    naiomi2015 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Don't know why I'm up so early, but here I am. Guess it's a good thing. I'll need some extra time if I park in the hospital garage. It's $10. If I park next door to the Dr.'s office it's$30. I might try to lunch and do some work in town. I'll see how the day unfolds.

CynthiaSorryyour so sick. Hope you feel better soon.

Mary Glad you got some help. Preparing for a sale is a lot of work.

Joyce I'm so glad your DGD enjoys the family stories and may be the keeper of the buttons. Learning my family's stories helped me better understand who I am and the examples both good and bad were instructive for me when meeting life's challenges.

I visit a lot of churches as part of my job. Some are very casual others everyone wears Sunday best. Some of the services are over two hours other are done in 60 min. Like clock work. Each seems to relate to a particular aspect of God more strongly than other aspects. I like getting a glimps of what feeds people's souls.

Lesley So many steps, training, house work and roses. Keep it up! Wow

Naiomi2015 in 52F and sunny Massachusetts

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    morning all~
    sorry I haven't been here..feeling much much better. but going to take one more day before I go back down to see DFIL.. I just dont want to get anyone down there sick....
    we had a thunderstorm with hail around 10 pm last night, well I was awake until 1 and then fell back asleep until 5:30.. then moved furniture and stuff around in the living and dining room as the cabinets came in for the kitchen :o
    DH still thinks this wont be to bad.. he has no clue.. though the last couple of nights he has seemed a little off, so I tried talking with him.
    he is going to be 63 this august and he is working 52 hrs a week to my 30 so I am trying to pic up the slack.. there is alot of prep work for the kitchen and we are having tree's taken down this weekend, so he is getting kidn of stressed because he thinks he has to do it all, I told him I can help.. I know how to sand and mud, I can tile if needed.. I am worried that he will have a breakdown or something....
    Sylvia~ glad your having a great time..
    Heather~ good luck to your hubby
    and will check in later after work <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    Heather, when Jake has had surgeries they have been in Seattle which is over two hours from where we live and city driving which is scary for me. For his last two surgeries, we drove to the ferry about 90 minutes away and then he took the ferry to Seattle and a taxi from the ferry terminal to the hospital. I stayed home with the dogs. When it was time to pick him up, I drove to the ferry, parked the car, took the ferry, and then a taxi to the hospital and made sure he got back safely with me driving home from the ferry. We were both comfortable with his going to the hospital without me. I know that while he was gone, I walked the dogs a lot and rode the exercise bike and watched TV....those are my stress reducers.

<3 Barbie
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Joyce - the little boy in the background is DGD's BF. It was his parents wedding.

Good morning everyone - just checking in quickly before the planned power outage here ... only supposed to be out for 30 minutes.... ya right!!

Later everyone
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan.....and frost again last night !!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Another busy day today with moving sale set up. DSIL is coming to help again. I'm great full for the help.

Cynthia - (((hugs)))

Heather- good plan for your DH- he will feel so much better with you there.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Carol NC: Glad you're going to see about your shoulder, I hope you get some relief soon.

Heather: I think you've organized things very well to support your husband through his surgery and you'll still be able to see your friends.

Tere: I'm one of those people who look great in hats. I have a couple but don't often get the opportunity to wear them. I can wear my cowboy hats more often though. I'll have to do some research and see what fascinators look like. :smile:

Terri: Surely, there are other teams that your son could play for? I personally, wouldn't want to play for a coach like that anyway!

Sylvia: Wonderful pictures! Fettucini alfredo sounds delicious.

Vicki: It usually takes a few minor adjustments to get the fit good when you've had a reline. Patience and perseverence is the key.

Katla: Hope the channel is deep enough for your keel and you get to join the planned cruise.

Kim: Good for you doing that hike. It's always easier when you can make something a habit.

JoanMichelle: You're doing great, keep up the good work.

Naomi: My mom used to have jars and and jars of buttons. Now I wonder what happened to them when the folks built the new house. I haven't thought about them for years, thanks for the memory boost. :laugh:

Lesley: Not sure what you mean about "I've lost all I gained in 12 months". Losing 1% body fat in 3 days sounds like a major success to me. Is it a good thing or bad thing to look like your mom?

AletaForeman: I always eat before I go shopping, that way I'm less tempted by all of the taste testers and food choices set up particularly at Costco. It also makes me better at sticking to my shopping list.

Joyce: Glad you're back cautionary or not!

Mary: Do what you gotta do girl, we'll be here when you can breathe again!

Cynthia: Hope you feel better soon, is it time to visit the doc?

Lillian: At least the power outage was scheduled better than what happens in rural Alberta. I'm tired of all the cold nights...when is it going to warm up!

My sister came over to visit yesterday and then her son and his girlfriend dropped in as well. Made my aunt's recipe for sheperd's pie for supper which was good but needs a bit of tweaking. I also made more of my beef barley soup for freezing for lunches. Today my sister and I are going to defrost and organize my large freezer. I can't wait since I've started keeping an inventory for my fridge freezer and fridge. It's hard to keep up but I find having due dates helps me to waste less food and I know what I need to use up. Makes it easier to do menu planning and shopping.

Thought for the day: I know that in life there will be sickness, devastation, disappointments, heartache - it's a given. What's not a given is the way you choose to get through it all. If you look hard enough, you can always find the bright side. - Rashida Jones

Have an awesome day ladies,
    Carey-Edmonton
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    ok the cabinets will be delivered either this saterday or next thursday... Oh boy.. start day for kitchen is June 5th.. let the festivities begin :#
    Sylvia~ That was one funny story thank you for making me laugh... I do know better than to put bubbles in a jetted tub .... when we remodeled we did put the shower and tub combo in as it is only a bath and a half house.. yes both of us like a good soak in the tub now and then, and when we sell, if the people who buy have children.. tub is the best thing...
    well im off to work in a minute or 2.. having some lemon tea.. its yummy
  • pipcd34
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    I read everything and just hanging for a bit before bed. Still really tired from my morning hike today I tried to catch up in steps to Sylvia and Barbie and got to 19,860 - 8.28 miles...not my "record" best but a high day for me.
    Love all the pictures!

sleep well friends!
    Kim in N. Cal

awesome job!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Joyce: I did take it personally as the absolute truth :p especially if you went to a church located in a rural area. You could be there for hours and hours. I used to envy the Catholics because their services were so short and sweet. Yes we do get preached too and most of the time lately it is the only thing keeping my work colleagues in one piece because it lasts me through most of the week. >:) Today, our services are pretty much limited to two hours. Most churches that I attend sing contemporary gospel and limit old songs from the hymnal to the first and last verses. African American women used to take great pride in Sunday family dinners as home they were huge gatherings, but who cooks like that anymore. I don’t go to buffets anytime and I definitely would not go on Sunday. The general thought about clothing is that we want everyone to feel welcome so it is pretty much come as you are or want to come. However, I do miss the “old” traditions from time to time. One Sunday a minister was preaching and he said “On Saturday the women make sure they get to the hairdresser and have their hair done, they get their nails done, they spend hours with their makeup and clothes all to go to the club. Why can’t they do it to honor God on Sunday.” That struck a chord with me so I go to church dressed as I please most of the time including dress, stockings, heels, matching purse and hat. I get the strongest reactions from the young people. They give me the nicest compliments, kisses and hugs, and the utmost respect. I even have a couple of teenage young men that look forward to sitting with me on Sunday. One Sunday a minister stopped speaking and asked the congregation if they had seen my sassy hat. I was too through with him. :D Although I embrace the need to let people know they don’t have to be dressed up to come to church, I also know that there are so many young people out there that are looking for structure, with parents that want to be their childrens’ contemporaries. I believe that they look forward to their encounters with an adult that wants to be seen as an adult and somebody they can count on.

Mary: Thanks for the link. :) I know it sounds crazy but I am so looking forward doing squats and to using the kettle bells.

Heather: Sending hugs for you and prayers for DH’s speedy recovery. :)

Cynthia: Feel better soon. :)

Carey-Edmonton: I only have one cowboy hat that I have only worn once. It is red with silver sparkles. It is probably best suited for a theme party. It is my intention to get some cowboy boots to match it though. ;)

Well ladies this is my post for the day. I must get some work done today.

Tere in Richmond
  • pipcd34
    Options
    morning peeps-
    fanncy - we will be there on the week of july 4 (his bday is the 10th), boo, we won't be able to hook up.

I wish I had the energy and time to share how my mom pissed me off the night that I stayed with her but I will give you a snippet to give you an idea. if you remember my saying everything she says and does is right. one of my nephews came over. Mom has some lady (who is pregnant) staying with her helping her clean, do light chores etc... I don't remember how we got started on talking about drinking. one of my other nephews is a liquor distributor so he always has wine, booze of all sorts. mom found that drinking red wine helped with her cholesterol. during this discussion, she said, (this is in Spanish) Oh I never get drunk. I can have a bottle of wine and drive without a problem. mind you she has this pregnant lady in the car with her. my eyes are as big as a frickin baseball and I look at her and say, "you talk like YOU ARE PROUD OF THIS???" she says... oh yes!.. the nephew that is there kinda likes the lady that's pregnant so he's upset too. I say, I don't care if you drink or get drunk, knock yourself out if you want, you've earned it, but TO DRIVE DRUNK WITH SOMEONE IN YOUR CAR AND PREGNANT?? nevermind that, you are also endangering other people that are on the road???!!!!

I won't get into the rest of it but do you now see what I mean??? she's a peach ain't she