From a size 20 to a size 8 with strength training, in one year! PICS!

Options

Replies

• holliedusteeeze
    holliedusteeeze Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Wow u look fantastic well done... such a motivation to see it can be done thanks for sharing
  • Happylybre
    Happylybre Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Honey you went from 33yo to 23yo??? that's awesome.... I hope I get to rock a HOT Body SOON too.... Congrats
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wanted to add something real quick! :blush:

All of these pics I have already posted here were from Jan-Dec of 2014. I wanted to show what one year TRULY looks like up to today! The after here was taken 2 days ago and the before is from April of 2014. I had already lost around 25lbs by this point (before pic here is 180lbs, after is 140lbs and I'm 5'3").

And yes, that is a swimming suit in the before, a very large swimming suit :open_mouth: BUT I'm in a BIKINI in the after, for the first time in history. Got about 10-20lbs to go, we'll see what happens! :blush:

bkobcr1kccfo.jpg

Wow! I think you look like a mega perfect 10 (what we old folks used to call a brickhouse or a body by fisher) right now--at the weight your at. 10-20 more pounds--you'll surely look like a 19 or 20 year old for sure. Girlllllllll...seriously, you got the body that can stop traffic right now.
    I want to thank you again so much for posting this thread--just MEGA inspirational.

P.S. WOW!

• GenElizabeth
    GenElizabeth Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! :blush:
  • GenElizabeth
    Options
    Deleval417 wrote: »
    May I ask what calorie calculator and deficit did you use?

I was at around a 500 calorie/day deficit and I used this calculator along with the POLAR FT 7 from June on.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn-conversion-calculator.aspx
  • GenElizabeth
    Options
    You look incredible!!! You go girl. And omg I LOVE strength training too. I used to be scared of doing it cuz I didn't want to get bulky muscles but now that I started, I can't stop. Love the feeling when I leave the gym after a really good workout. Ahh feels so good!!! I'm curious, how do you break up your workouts throughout the week? Like I do arms and back one day then legs another and I do abs almost every time I go, is that a good idea or should I be doing something different to maximize efficiency??

I always preferred doing a full body workout at one time for about 30-45 mins vs splitting up the muscle groups. And I do this 5-6 days a week. :blush:
  • GenElizabeth
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Oh! And I don't do isolated ab work at all, never have. I've had 2 c-sections so doing those types of exercises puts pressure on my scars and it's uncomfortable. I get TONS of core work in though by doing all of the other exercises. Who knows? Maybe I'll get some "abs" one day without ever having to do a crunch or sit up at all.. :wink:
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this! I have been lifting similar to your workout routine every other day for almost 4 months now, with cardio on the off days. Maybe I am going a tad slower, but I am losing and thats what matters. You are an inspiration.
  • GenElizabeth
    Options
    vixtris wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing this! I have been lifting similar to your workout routine every other day for almost 4 months now, with cardio on the off days. Maybe I am going a tad slower, but I am losing and thats what matters. You are an inspiration.

Thank you and you're welcome! We are all different so it's important to go at our own individual pace but like you said, it's working for you too so just keep at it. Great job!
  • GenElizabeth
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Here is the revised, more detailed version of my story, if you guys want to read it! I hope you find encouragement from it, and the motivation to either start living your dreams or to continue pushing towards them!

If I didn't answer a question that someone might still have, please ask me and I'll respond as best as I can to help. :blush:

Thanks to Terry for all the work invested on the site, I love it!

http://www.realbodiesrealresults.com/blog/gen-revisited-a-detailed-review-of-her-weight-loss
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your amazing transformation! And I'm thrilled for you that your husband decided to improve his health and lifestyle too! Your children are very fortunate to have such positive role models :) Your story is an obvious reminder that I should re-incorporate weight lifting to my weekly routine (I have two 90-mins kick boxing workouts per week which I love and need)... I want to develop hamstrings and glutes like yours! (Wowza!) I really needed this motivational shove!
  • dimeda78
    dimeda78 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I have been on week 9 of a 12 week strength training program and I am seeing similar results. You have inspired me to not give up. I like what you said about form. Lately I have been focusing more on form than increasing weights and I do notice a difference. My body even responds better.
  • GenElizabeth
    Options
    That's awesome, ladies! :blush:

Proper form and really focusing on the muscles you are working at that moment are so important. I've been really concentrating on muscle/mind connection over the past few months and I feel like it's really helping.

When I focus during my work outs, I can now feel the muscles waking up and working. Before I felt most of it in my quads and just an overall "warm" sensation everywhere, but now I am able zero in on the glutes and other areas when I need to.

The glutes are very dense muscles and tend to be a bit stubborn so when we sit on out behinds all day, we are basically ironing them flat!! :open_mouth: Have to work them everyday. For me, not lifting overly heavy allows me to do just that. :wink:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited May 2015
    Options
    That's awesome, ladies! :blush:

Proper form and really focusing on the muscles you are working at that moment are so important. I've been really concentrating on muscle/mind connection over the past few months and I feel like it's really helping.

When I focus during my work outs, I can now feel the muscles waking up and working. Before I felt most of it in my quads and just an overall "warm" sensation everywhere, but now I am able zero in on the glutes and other areas when I need to.

The glutes are very dense muscles and tend to be a bit stubborn so when we sit on out behinds all day, we are basically ironing them flat!! :open_mouth: Have to work them everyday. For me, not lifting overly heavy allows me to do just that. :wink:

This may be a stupid question but...what do you mean when you say "focusing on the muscles you are working at the moment & focusing during your workout" I know what focus means of course, but somehow I'm wondering what you mean/do to "focus".

ETA: Because when I'm working out...honestly, what I'm mainly (desperately) "focusing" on (a super thinking about) is dreading just about every second of my exercising and the pain I feel while exercising and getting done with the exercising and I know I've got to change that.

• terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    NewLIFEstyle - what Gen is describing is called the "mind-muscle" connection. As you are reading this right now, think about and tighten your stomach muscles. Really focus on making them tight. You'll do the same thing when you are working out if you want to emphasize a muscle or muscle group during your compound exercises. When doing squats, your glutes, hamstrings and quads do the majority of the work. But, you can emphasize one over the other by focusing an contracting and using that muscle, like you just did with your abs. (studies show that this is high effective for increasing the number of muscle fibers recruited) Hope that explanation helps!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited May 2015
    Options
    terizius wrote: »
    NewLIFEstyle - what Gen is describing is called the "mind-muscle" connection. As you are reading this right now, think about and tighten your stomach muscles. Really focus on making them tight. You'll do the same thing when you are working out if you want to emphasize a muscle or muscle group during your compound exercises. When doing squats, your glutes, hamstrings and quads do the majority of the work. But, you can emphasize one over the other by focusing an contracting and using that muscle, like you just did with your abs. (studies show that this is high effective for increasing the number of muscle fibers recruited) Hope that explanation helps!

Helps? It's a HUGE blessing and a super "light-bulb" moment. This is going to (and IS) helping me tremendously already (as I'm tucking my tummy in as I type and thinking about it/my ab muscles too, while I'm typing).

w <3 w THANK YOU EVER SO VERY MUCH!!!!!!! B)

• terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    haha, its rare that my lengthy and somewhat scientific explanations are so enthusiastically received. My pleasure :)
  • sweettea925
    sweettea925 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this. We both started at the same weight and we are the same height. I have been really discouraged lately. I began the weight loss journey in October following my neck surgery and while I have made some really good progress, I am stalled at a plateau and no matter how much I change up I am not seeing much movement in the direction I want to go. Your post has given me light at the end of the tunnel!!

Thank you!!!! <3
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Fantastic physique!
  • laureenrs
    laureenrs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mother's Day Inspiration, thanks for sharing amazing! Super accomplishment :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!