A Frustrated Girl who Runs and Lifts

Options

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I want to start off by saying that Sarauk2sf knows her stuff.

Second, when running marathon distance, you can probably eat an entire container of ice cream.

For me, I run I can run half marathon distances. I haven't signed up for a full yet. I lift as well. The only issue I have is my long run and squats too close together.

I train based on the next race or looking out forward for what I have going on and I adjust accordingly. I just stopped caring about the scale and body composition. I think OP you have too many goals and desires. Just prioritize and it will fall into place.

Mine right now, Increase my basic lifts, trail distance ruin, improve 5k time, eat semi healthy..
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I really have nothing valuable to contribute to this thread other than to say that some folks on here have given some good advice.

Other than that....this Thread has basically become this :

hE0B1D601
  • MaritimeFit
    Options
    but who was phone?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Myself and a number of running friends all put on weight while training for marathons, despite tracking food and not just relying on hunger. There are several factors at work.

First your body becomes very efficient at running, so whatever method you use to track the calorie burn - HRM, MFP, running app, etc. it will vastly overestimate your burn once you've been doing it for a while.

Secondly, I believe a different energy release mechanism kicks in after you've been running for a while, so you won't burn as much on mile 10 as you did on mile 1.

Also when you're body is expecting to run regularly, it kicks back when you're not running. Find you get cold and tired more and drop off when you're training?

And, yes, there is a factor of the odd extra mouthful because you're continually ravenous!

I couldn't lift and run while I was training - aching every day from different stresses on my muscles meant neither my running nor lifting sessions were as good as they could been. So I stuck to injury prevention running exercises and bodyweight upper body and core.

Run to be an awesome runner, not to lose weight. And I have to say it looks like you're in good shape already!
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    You should do more research on the fast and slow twitch muscle fibres. From what I understand, to be very good at endurance running you need a much higher percentage of slow twitch muscle fibres, and to be good at weight lifting (anaerobic) you need to have a much higher percentage of fast twitch muscle fibres. Fast twitch muscle fibres help with anaerobic respiration and quick release energy (that runs out fast) and slow twitch fibres help with aerobic respiration and a slow and steady release of energy (that is necessary for endurance). Definitely do some research - you can't be good at both, I'm pretty sure. As an example, in an event or something ( I can't remember what it was) , a weight lifter beat Mo Farrah (British 10k Olympic Gold Medallist) in a short distance sprint because although he didn't train in running he had a much high percentage of fast twitch muscle fibres than Mo Farrah.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    This is a bit off-topic, but I just wanted to comment on your diary, OP--it's fascinating. I am no good at endurance running, but if I ate beans every meal, I could probably fly a marathon.

Carry on, everyone.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Well this thread certainly took a turn since the last time I looked at it a few hours ago.

FYI to the OP, you may want to listen to Sarauk2sf. The reason she has so many posts is because she is very knowledgable, especially about body recomposition and lifting and spends a lot of time and effort helping others. You'd be wise to listen to her. And I agree about the body shaming. Not okay. Stop it.

^this. Sara helps a lot of people. Not only does the body shaming on here appall me, but the attacks on Sara just blow my mind. and OP, you bring up some thing on her profile and don't even know why. Just doing it to cause a stir. Best of luck on your goals. Too bad for you that you'll miss out getting to really know one of the most supportive, helpful, and knowledgable people around.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well this thread certainly took a turn since the last time I looked at it a few hours ago.

FYI to the OP, you may want to listen to Sarauk2sf. The reason she has so many posts is because she is very knowledgable, especially about body recomposition and lifting and spends a lot of time and effort helping others. You'd be wise to listen to her. And I agree about the body shaming. Not okay. Stop it.

^this. Sara helps a lot of people. Not only does the body shaming on here appall me, but the attacks on Sara just blow my mind. and OP, you bring up some thing on her profile and don't even know why. Just doing it to cause a stir. Best of luck on your goals. Too bad for you that you'll miss out getting to really know one of the most supportive, helpful, and knowledgable people around.

Wait... people were trashing on Sara?? OP in particular???

That's just not right! You ask for help about body recomposition and you attack someone with knowledge of it who is trying to help. If you don't want to take her advice, that is one thing, but attacking someone for it causes them not to want to offer help. Something like that could deprive others!! Shame on you!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

That's just not right! You ask for help about body recomposition and you attack someone with knowledge of it who is trying to help. If you don't want to take her advice, that is one thing, but attacking someone for it causes them not to want to offer help. Something like that could deprive others!! Shame on you!

Please note:

Body shaming = unacceptable

General shaming for douchebaggery and asshattery = completely acceptable.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Have you read any of Rachel Cosgrove's books? She's a lifter and experienced the same thing. She talks about in her books. She had a good scientific explanation of how it happened. Most libraries have her fitness books. I think it was in " the Female Body Breakthrough" where I read it.

Here is an article from Rachel describing her experience.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Please note:

Haha! Always! :drinker:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Please note:

I see no problem there. :drinker:
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It's not me being harsh. It's science. Sorry if I offended you all so much lol.

Seriously, google pictures of marathoners vs sprinters. This is not opinion, it's widely accepted scientific fact lol. Long distance burns your muscle. Not to mention all the negative effects it has on your hormones...
    [/quote]

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!! It's a widely accepted scientific fact that sprinters look better than marathon runners!!!!

OMG....!!

Yes clearly you're right the OP should quit running and just lift cos that way she can get to have guys like you letching at her fit bod all the time which will be so much more satisfying than any athletic successes that she may achieve as a runner!!

Beyond shallow!!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    This is a bit off-topic, but I just wanted to comment on your diary, OP--it's fascinating. I am no good at endurance running, but if I ate beans every meal, I could probably fly a marathon.

Carry on, everyone.

*snort
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Long distance running is absolutely awful for body compositions. Especially THAT long.

Diet, lift, and SPRINT. You will be incredibly lean in no time.

Indeed. All of those marathon fatties. yuck.

-86d1fb52cc489710.jpg

While I agree with your general premise, if you don't think those two lift weights you're insane.

Side note: I was working the mile 22 water stop for the Boston Marathon a few years ago and handed Goucher a cup of water. Not only that, I'd called it four hours earlier when we were setting up. Having long arms has its benefits :)
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options

The OP should consider herself blessed if Sara and SideSteel are feeling gracious enough to help after her reactions to Sara in this thread (I wouldn't be feeling very gracious if it were me). Just saying.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Re: the difference in distance runners' and sprinters' physique, it's not so much that their type or running gives them that physique, it's that they specifically diet and train to get the best physique to make them fast at that distance, with a big side-order of genetic makeup.

Olympic champion distance runner Mo Farah does powerlifting to make him awesome at 5K, 10K and now half and full marathons. He can squat 200lb, 1.5 times his bodyweight, for 4-6 reps!!!
  • rosemata83
    rosemata83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have cut down on my miles significantly and now only running 3-6 miles on the days I run. I do more weights and see much better results. I am sure you have thought of this, but what are you are eating on your long runs? Gels, jelly beans, ect. Those hold a lot of calories. I have trained with other runners for marathons and half marathon and they had the same issue as you, but after the run they would be starving and make bad eating decisions. During the run they would take way too many Gels!
  • Grumpy2208
    Grumpy2208 Posts: 63
    Options
    Long distance running is absolutely awful for body compositions. Especially THAT long.

Diet, lift, and SPRINT. You will be incredibly lean in no time.

Indeed. All of those marathon fatties. yuck.

-86d1fb52cc489710.jpg

Are you being sarcastic? If so, then look google pictures of sprinters compared to distance runners. You will change your view. Marathoner runners look gross. The chicks are skinny fat with no *kitten*. Sprinters look PERFECT physically.

agreed.

I look like one of these two ladies. Okay maybe a wee bit more leaner. A lot of running. Some lifting stuffs and putting them down. Some eating well. Some maybe not. And many many many many years of sweat, hard work, determination and tears it took.

I am offended that they are being called gross.

Basically, ten years plus of running has made me gross.

My poor soul bleeds.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It's not me being harsh. It's science. Sorry if I offended you all so much lol.

Seriously, google pictures of marathoners vs sprinters. This is not opinion, it's widely accepted scientific fact lol. Long distance burns your muscle. Not to mention all the negative effects it has on your hormones...

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!! It's a widely accepted scientific fact that sprinters look better than marathon runners!!!!

OMG....!!

Yes clearly you're right the OP should quit running and just lift cos that way she can get to have guys like you letching at her fit bod all the time which will be so much more satisfying than any athletic successes that she may achieve as a runner!!

Beyond shallow!!
    [/quote]

^^^Yep.

So if you already know that lifting + diet + sprinting is the way to attain the desired aesthetic results, what is the question? I am in no way trying to "throw shade" at the OP, but what is it that you really want? You have a beautiful body that can run marathons and bench 185? But none of that means anything because you gained 10 pounds?

I think you could possibly have it all if you do maybe 1 long distance run per week when you are not training for a marathon. Do 1 or 2 marathons a year, and then focus on lifting when you are not training.