A Frustrated Girl who Runs and Lifts

Options

Replies

• _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    In to learn how all men are genetically preidsposed to being sexually attracted to the same thing. As I am predisposed to being sexually attracted to men all men must also be sexually attracted to men...SCIENCE!

I no longer have to feel guilty about hitting on 'straight' guys. *phew*

This thread was useful and informative for the above reasons.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

The OP should consider herself blessed if Sara and SideSteel are feeling gracious enough to help after her reactions to Sara in this thread (I wouldn't be feeling very gracious if it were me). Just saying.

This. Crapping on the advice of one of the more knowledgable females on the boards with regards to body composition just because some guy was saying exactly what she wanted to hear was pretty silly on the OP's part.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    In to learn how all men are genetically preidsposed to being sexually attracted to the same thing. As I am predisposed to being sexually attracted to men all men must also be sexually attracted to men...SCIENCE!

As if there are no societal norms at play in determining what we find atttractive. And as if those norms don't change yearly.

To the guy claiming it's all genetically determined, google "rubenesque" and tell me what you find.
  • jenniferhe
    jenniferhe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ranae,
    Just a thought but is there possible some health issues? I'm an RN and in the field we some times see people who do take great care of themselves but it is actually a health issue that is causing the fat gain. I would suggest going and talking with your doctor and may be getting some blood work done to see if there is something else going on. I wish you well.

Sincerely,

Jen
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    rcocW.gif
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Yeh, but not those fattie straight guys that think they have "curves", right?
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

The OP should consider herself blessed if Sara and SideSteel are feeling gracious enough to help after her reactions to Sara in this thread (I wouldn't be feeling very gracious if it were me). Just saying.

I was making a point.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    It's not me being harsh. It's science. Sorry if I offended you all so much lol.

Seriously, google pictures of marathoners vs sprinters. This is not opinion, it's widely accepted scientific fact lol. Long distance burns your muscle. Not to mention all the negative effects it has on your hormones...

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!! It's a widely accepted scientific fact that sprinters look better than marathon runners!!!!

OMG....!!

Yes clearly you're right the OP should quit running and just lift cos that way she can get to have guys like you letching at her fit bod all the time which will be so much more satisfying than any athletic successes that she may achieve as a runner!!

Beyond shallow!!
    [/quote]

ETA: for some reason MFP doesn't want to separate out my post from the above quote, so here.

1) Reading comprehension. The OP isn't going to stop running. She should keep running. Guys are going to look regardless.

2) Sprinters strength train.

3) Not all marathoners look flabby. Look closely at the photo of those two world-class marathoners. Do you know why they have so little fat on their bodies? Pace. The average 4-hour marathoner is going to have a good bit more fat than a 2.5 hour runner. Look at the people as they finish a marathon. The athlete versus the novice. Don't compare the world-class ones because who have little fat on their bodies to the ones who finish in the middle to end of the pack.

4) She wants a healthy blend between her lifting and her running and a sub-16% body fat percent. Running less is the way she's going to get there, unless she suddenly doubles her running speed, in which case she's also going to lose a lot of strength and muscle mass when she leans out She can't have the development she wants and keep up the marathon without changing her body composition. She has to choose what she wants more.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Long distance running is absolutely awful for body compositions. Especially THAT long.

Diet, lift, and SPRINT. You will be incredibly lean in no time.

Really?
    Here we go again . . .
    Look at the texans00, please. ()n the first page) Guy just started lifting and has run 18 marathons. If running so much is so bad, how does he still have enough muscle to start lifting now?
    If running long distances is so bad for the body, why don't elite marathoners eventually start having worsening results? (They're burning up all their muscle, right?)
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I know everyone says this but I really don't think you're eating enough which I'm sure you can see from your bodymedia device. You're burning a crazy amount of calories you really need to fuel your body more. I think this has something to do with the fat you gained but that is just a guess.
    How much do you eat? With all that cardio and weight training, you should eat a LOT! You need to fuel those workouts.

Yeah I agree. That was probably my problem...along with the wrong types of food. Its easy to convince yourself that a slice of pizza wont matter because of what you just got done doing.... I was only eating about 2000 calories a day....and I was burning on average 3600. This information was from my bodymedia device.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    this went well....

^this

In...

...to see where this thread goes next...

...and to do what (if anything) needs to be done with what's in here so far.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Wait, now we are down on skinny women? I thought we didn't like women with muscles. I am confused.
  • ced1389
    ced1389 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I didn't read every thread so I'm not sure if somebody already mentioned this but here goes:

I just ran into this same problem! I didn't gain weight when I trained for my half but I was SOFT! I was disgusted. I had been hitting the weights pretty hard before that training so I couldn't understand it. I think you have some real points in your theory of how the body burns it. I also think I may not have been fueling my body correctly for those long, grueling runs.

Now, 1 month out of my half training, I've been staying in "5k shape" as I like to call it. I run generally 3 days a week and lift HARD 3. I also incorporate more HIIT (high intensity interval training) like fartleks, hills, backwards hills, etc. I know running is your passion, as it is mine, but sometimes the body gets used to what it's doing and needs to be challenged. It's helped me tremendously! Plus, the harder workouts seem to go by really fast.

Let me know how your progress is! I'm curious to know :) My 5'4" build has always been challenging to find what ways help me tone up best. I'd love to see how another lifter/runner does it.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Where is the balance? At what point do you start using your muscle as fuel instead of fat? Can you trick your body?

I trained and ran a marathon in 2012....all the while still weight training. Results: FAT! 10lbs heavier the day of the marathon.

From what I understand your body isn't going to turn into a cannibal until you start doing 20+ miles which is why most marathon training plans stop short at this distance. Of course you're going to do some muscle damage during long runs. You do this during strength training too but your body's preferred fuel is always carbs and when you run low on those the body mostly relies on the conversion of fat for ATP production. (see Krebs cycle) Fat and stored glycogen in your muscles are the primary source of energy during longer runs. After your run your body will go into repair and anabolic (rebuilding) mode so make sure and get a nice recovery protein drink to help with this.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but if you're gaining weight you're eating too many calories. You might not be burning as many calories as you think on these longer runs. Hopefully your body is being conditioned to be more efficient and use less fuel than an untrained person would. You can't gain mass with without adding energy in excess of what you need. That's just a law of nature.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    lulz i should never have responded to this thread. OP and a few others on here are... well I'll keep the word to myself. smh.
  • gph61
    gph61 Posts: 3
    Options
    You are doing everything right. Don't worry about the weight, it is most certainly muscle gain from the weights. I went to a sports nutritionist presentation. She explained how the body uses stored energy; carbohydrates you consume for the upcoming exercise first then stored fat. The eye opener was that you have to train the body to move over to the fat consumption and it has to do with time. This is more of your puzzle because of the amount of running and the time. I suspect because you now have more muscle your body can store more energy and use it while running before it has to move on the stored fat.
    I encourage you to talked with a sport nutritionist not just because you are clearly into the exercise and have a specific goal but also you can learn quite a bit about how the body functions while training hard. You can then tailor your nutrition to the goals, both event and weight control.
    I am training to cycle 200 miles in a day and would like to lose 20 pounds. I could have listened to the nutritionist for hours!
    Just my two cents worth.
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Facial Aesthetics > Body

Why lift when it's all about the face?
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I recently ran a marathon and gained some weight too, but I think it was water weight because after the race it fell off pretty quickly. You have to remember that a race that long does some damage and our muscles retain water then. Also, I've noticed that after I hit about 13 miles in my long run training, I crave butter and bacon like CRAZY!

So, while training, I fueled my body, no big deal. Now that it's done, I want to focus on moderate runs, cross training, etc to lose weight and hopefully pick up my race speed since I won't be lugging around an extra 25 lbs! Good luck to you hun!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    4) She wants a healthy blend between her lifting and her running and a sub-16% body fat percent. Running less is the way she's going to get there, unless she suddenly doubles her running speed, in which case she's also going to lose a lot of strength and muscle mass when she leans out She can't have the development she wants and keep up the marathon without changing her body composition. She has to choose what she wants more.

Yeah, I think this is what it boils down to.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    It's not me being harsh. It's science. Sorry if I offended you all so much lol.

Seriously, google pictures of marathoners vs sprinters. This is not opinion, it's widely accepted scientific fact lol. Long distance burns your muscle. Not to mention all the negative effects it has on your hormones...

It's a widely accepted scientific fact that sprinters look better than marathon runners!!!!
    no-grumpy-cat-1.jpg

"Looking better" than anyone is aesthetics; aesthetics are subjective, i.e., opinion-based. Therefore, your statement that sprinters "look better" than marathon runners is not a fact, much less a scientific one.

ETA: OP, you're beautiful, and you look very strong and lean. I would love to have your body. I wouldn't stress about the number on the scale. Take measurements instead and avoid the scale.
    However, you've come of as pretty rude in this thread. I don't know you, so obviously I'm not saying you're a bad person or rude in general, but when you're being offered advice, try to be a little nicer, even if you don't like the advice. You can still thank people for taking their time to try to help you, and if you choose not to follow it, that's fine.