Calorie counting doesn't work according to a new study. Apparently.

Options
"Calorie-controlled diets don’t work. Many of us may have suspected as much for years — but now there’s compelling evidence in a new book by Professor Tim Spector, a leading genetics expert at King’s College London.
What’s more, he’s offering a tantalising new theory about what really makes us fat — which could revolutionise our approach to weight loss.
As one of the scientists leading worldwide research into the trillions of bacteria living in our stomachs, Professor Spector believes they hold an amazing power over our health and moods — and that our modern diet may be having a negative effect on them."

IMO rubbish like this is part of the reason we have an obesity epidemic- the public are constantly told by the media its not always their own fault they are fat. Ironically the top rated comments on the article actually make the most sense for a change. Link below.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3077507/Everything-think-know-diets-wrong.html

Replies

• MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love crap like this! Lol
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ok so calorie counting doesn't work and according to another study exercise isn't necessary for weight loss. I've been working out and counting calories like a crazy person for nothing and I haven't really lost 40kg?

"Professor Spector argues that, with the right regimen of diet and exercise ..."

Has he read

Exercise is good … but it won't help you lose weight, say doctors
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/apr/22/obesity-owes-more-to-bad-diet-than-lack-of-exercise-say-doctors

and

Exercise 'not key to obesity fight'
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-32417699?ocid=socialflow_facebook

Scientists!!! pfft
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    daily mail...nuff said
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    daily mail...nuff said

Daily Fail indeed
  • Dalinair
    Dalinair Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What a load of rubbish. Daily mail should come with a health warning.
  • skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    daily mail...nuff said

True, but the study comes from an expert at Kings College. And none of the 'experts' seem to be able to make up their minds :|
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    brb gaining back 157#
    sr28gx815ias.gif
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i wish i could blame something besides chronic laziness and overeating to being a fat *kitten*.

but yanno.... science.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    skysiebaby wrote: »
    daily mail...nuff said

True, but the study comes from an expert at Kings College. And none of the 'experts' seem to be able to make up their minds :|

I will guarantee that the tabloid journo did not look at the research study or the book at all
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    also it says he's a geneticist

and?
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Oh so if that is true then I'm the Queen of Ireland!!!!
  • donalynvaughn
    donalynvaughn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Let's see, I have lost 70 pounds since August doing a low calorie program plus moderate (just getting off of my butt) exercise. But it doesn't work. Whatever. Seriously, I get asked every day, "What are you doing?" Several people have started doing what I am doing and have also lost weight, but there are those who want the magic pill. "Oh, I can't do that." "Aren't you taking a diet pill or something." NOPE. Laziness got me fat and hard work is going to fix it. Not that I am calling fat people lazy, but lazy habits will kill you - driving through the drive through instead of fixing a healthy meal, parking next to the door when you go shop instead of walking from the parking lot, sitting watching TV all night instead of going for a walk, etc. Lazy habits.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    i wish i could blame something besides chronic laziness and overeating to being a fat *kitten*.

Of course you can. Personally, my bacteria made me lazy!

There actually is interesting work on gut bacteria, which I assume this is about, but selling it as "you have no control over your weight, diet and exercise don't matter" is so pathetic.

It may just be the media coverage, though, although it also may be a tactic to get media coverage.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    If you actually read the study it probably doesn't say the same thing as the extreme Daily Fail head line.

DM IS FICTION NOT FACT
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Of course you can. Personally, my bacteria made me lazy!

There actually is interesting work on gut bacteria, which I assume this is about, but selling it as "you have no control over your weight, diet and exercise don't matter" is so pathetic.

It may just be the media coverage, though, although it also may be a tactic to get media coverage.

I'm pretty sure my bacteria didnt make me do it, either. LOLOLOL

I'll stick with CICO and exercise. its doing a kick butt job so far... :P
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    They never read the full brief when reporting on any medical study. They pull the most tantalizing parts out without the "but" that every medical study has. CICO has worked for centuries. Why would it stop working now?
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    daily mail...nuff said

It's getting a lot of attention though-saw it on yahoo this morning.

But yeah-I must be special snowflake then, because the whole calories thing worked pretty well for me ;)
  • skysiebaby
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    also it says he's a geneticist

and?

My point is, that no wonder the general public get confused about which advice to take when it comes to weight loss. All the 'experts' (and it doesn't even seem to matter what kind of expert) give conflicting advice every week. I have personally learned alot from browsing these forums for the last 5 years - and CICO works. Period.

For example, there was a programme on ITV the other night and Jonathan Maitland (a well known presenter in the UK) actually said the words, "so carbohydrates are the enemy". To the uninformed this ain't a helpful thing to hear.
  • skysiebaby
    Options
    daily mail...nuff said

It's getting a lot of attention though-saw it on yahoo this morning.

But yeah-I must be special snowflake then, because the whole calories thing worked pretty well for me ;)

Was gonna say the same, its not just the DM, its doing the rounds on the other nationals.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    So the article is basically this genetics expert saying, the bacteria in your gut(or lack thereof) is ONE of the causes for people to put on weight.
    That to lose weight it will take more than just calorie restriction. It will take exercise, and eating a wide variety of foods including cheese, alcohol and chocolate to put your body back into balance. Oh and of course, avoid fast food.
    For SOME REASON, this guy seems to think that people who go on a calorie monitoring diet only eat CHICKEN and BROCCOLI.
    "Dieting can also be dangerous, he adds. ‘The increasing promotion and use of restrictive diets that depend on just a few ingredients will inevitably lead to a further reduction in microbe diversity and, eventually, to ill-health.’"

Anyway, bottom line, eat a variety of foods and exercise regularly to increase bacteria in your gut to help you lose weight and improve your immune system.
This discussion has been closed.