Calorie counting doesn't work according to a new study. Apparently.

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    Once again, negative comments, has anyone done any research on this subject?. Typical.

The title is misleading. Being a person who had severe digestive issues for 6-12 months. I did my research on the subject. Gut health is probably the most critical part for the human body to function properly.

I agree. I had equivalent issues and found out through a nutritionist, doctor, and great PTs that the only way to fight these issues is with a good diet first - a nutritional program. Not just eating less than what you expend - there's a real difference there.

CICO, metabolics, dietary formulation (program), and training (program). Wish I followed it when I was in my 20s more. I know I have much to look forward to knowing what I know now.

You can't outrun a bad diet - maybe if you are in your 20s, but try hitting 40 and beyond. CICO just exemplifies the rest. Calories In (what kind of calorie) and Calories Out (what are you doing). That's a loaded monster right there.

Yes I have as I have family with issues and I wanted to help them out...so I did some research.

As for the bolded...nutritionist pft...I can get an online course and get a certificate in a weekend, Doctors receive appx 24 hours of nutritional education through out medical school unless they specialize, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430660/

And PT's well okay but they shouldn't be giving out nutritional advice as they are not RD's.

CICO...that's it...not the kinds of calories....quality is good but quantity is what leads to weight loss/gain.

The person I consulted had a Masters degree from an internationally-accredited university and over 10 years of success. All of them gave out the same advice in the end when you bottom-line it - you can't outrun a bad diet. Eat right and you will succeed - that's the long-term vision and it works. Works for me.

You can't outrun a bad diet. Plain and simple.

Master's degree in what? I have a Physical Therapist friend who is great at that but he believes in quality of calories etc...having a degree does not guarantee common sense.

I am not disagreeing with the bolded part...even in your 20's you can't.

But what I am saying is CICO...quantity not quality for weight loss...but don't confuse that with health and fitness and body comp
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Once again, negative comments, has anyone done any research on this subject?. Typical.

The title is misleading. Being a person who had severe digestive issues for 6-12 months. I did my research on the subject. Gut health is probably the most critical part for the human body to function properly.

Oh Pu, dear Pu. Tell me how my gut bacteria can create energy out of nothing to make me fat when I'm not at a surplus.

Eat 1500 calories of cake for a year and come back and tell us how you really feel. The reason you won't is because you know that can't work. I double dare you.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

It's TRUE... I've TRIED.. :bawling::bawling::disappointed:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Oh Pu, dear Pu. Tell me how my gut bacteria can create energy out of nothing to make me fat when I'm not at a surplus.

Eat 1500 calories of cake for a year and come back and tell us how you really feel. The reason you won't is because you know that can't work. I double dare you.

Here we go with the extremes...

*goes to find a cake recipe to hit my macros with...
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options

Better yet - eat McDonalds ONLY for ONE year. No salads - just their core foods, burgers, fried foods - ONE year - and come back and tell us how you really feel - WITH blood work - before and after. I double dare you.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Oh of course. The 1500 calories of cake argument. Why didn't you just say so. Thanks for giving me what I needed to get off my butt and get ready for work!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    hmmm it worked me as I lost weight and have kept it off for almost ten years now ….
  • BodyByBex
    Options

Better yet - eat McDonalds ONLY for ONE year. No salads - just their core foods, burgers, fried foods - ONE year - and come back and tell us how you really feel - WITH blood work - before and after. I double dare you.

They did it for 30 days on Super Size Me...was interesting. They knew it would make him fat and raise his cholesterol. They DIDN'T know how badly it would damage his liver...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

As for the bolded...nutritionist pft...I can get an online course and get a certificate in a weekend, Doctors receive appx 24 hours of nutritional education through out medical school unless they specialize, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430660/

Really? I wouldn't have guessed it to be so much. That's the equivalent of minoring in nutrition...twice.

As for the article, I don't think we can say the reason obesity is on the rise in our society is because people aren't counting calories. I think the problem is more complicated than that. But when we look at individuals, any individual can lose weight by counting calories.

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Today's word is strawman.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I agree. I had equivalent issues and found out through a nutritionist, doctor, and great PTs that the only way to fight these issues is with a good diet first - a nutritional program. Not just eating less than what you expend - there's a real difference there.

CICO, metabolics, dietary formulation (program), and training (program). Wish I followed it when I was in my 20s more. I know I have much to look forward to knowing what I know now.

You can't outrun a bad diet - maybe if you are in your 20s, but try hitting 40 and beyond. CICO just exemplifies the rest. Calories In (what kind of calorie) and Calories Out (what are you doing). That's a loaded monster right there.

Yes I have as I have family with issues and I wanted to help them out...so I did some research.

And PT's well okay but they shouldn't be giving out nutritional advice as they are not RD's.

CICO...that's it...not the kinds of calories....quality is good but quantity is what leads to weight loss/gain.

The person I consulted had a Masters degree from an internationally-accredited university and over 10 years of success. All of them gave out the same advice in the end when you bottom-line it - you can't outrun a bad diet. Eat right and you will succeed - that's the long-term vision and it works. Works for me.

You can't outrun a bad diet means that the exercise you do won't burn enough calories to make all the extra calories you stuff into your face disappear.

And it doesn't matter if he's got a master's degree. Unless it's in nutrition he might as well be a plumber when it comes to nutrition.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    The study of gut flora is new and exciting! I occasionally get to hear talks on it at work, very interesting stuff! Most of what I hear though is how they pertain to autoimmune disorders of the gut.

That said, at this stage in the game, blaming your gut flora for getting you fat is like blaming your skin flora for getting you sunburnt. Sure there might be a connection somewhere, but there is one hell of an outlying factor there that you have control over. I've lost 33lbs so far and plan to lose about 70 through calorie restriction. I exercise as well for added benefits. I don't care how borked up my flora is, if they don't have excess calories, they can't make me fat!
  • ndj1979
    Options

and there is the strawman argument….because no one eats a diet of 100% cake...
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options

Today's word is strawman.

I have the blood work and dropped weight to prove it. It's proven methodology. You are the strawman.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

You underestimate my power.
    Also that had nothing to do with the question, but I'm getting used to that kind of stuff from some of the people on here.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    The study of gut flora is new and exciting! I occasionally get to hear talks on it at work, very interesting stuff! Most of what I hear though is how they pertain to autoimmune disorders of the gut.

That said, at this stage in the game, blaming your gut flora for getting you fat is like blaming your skin flora for getting you sunburnt. Sure there might be a connection somewhere, but there is one hell of an outlying factor there that you have control over. I've lost 33lbs so far and plan to lose about 70 through calorie restriction. I exercise as well for added benefits. I don't care how borked up my flora is, if they don't have excess calories, they can't make me fat!

This.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    hmmm it worked me as I lost weight and have kept it off for almost ten years now ….

1500 calories of cake for a year - I really really doubt it. McDonalds - really really doubt it man. You ate a good nutritional profile because you knew that was the primary mover in the battle.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    It's hard to criticise what these doctors actually said when all you have to go on is a few lines pulled from what was a books worth of information. That seems to be how our journalists work now, in a bid to desperately draw any advertising profits they can from article clicks.

If a doctor was asked about weight loss and said, "The only way to lose weight is by reducing your calorie intake so that you burn more calories than you consume. You don't need to exercise to lose weight, however this is encouraged to build muscle and keep you healthy. There have also been some studies which show a correlation between the natural bacteria in the gut and peoples weight. Further studies are needed to understand the results. It has been shown however that, while calorie counting is effective for initial weightloss, it is shown to be less effective for continued loss and maintenance over a longer span of years."

From this the media can get so many headlines.

Doctor says "You don't need to exercise to lose weight".

Scientists have found miracle bacteria that will help you shed pounds.

Doctors say counting calories the worst way to diet.

That's how it works. Anything to reel them in.

This. SO MUCH this!
  • ndj1979
    Options

They did it for 30 days on Super Size Me...was interesting. They knew it would make him fat and raise his cholesterol. They DIDN'T know how badly it would damage his liver...

yea, except he super sized every meal ….you could order the grilled chicken sandwich every day, be in a deficit/maintenance, and you would lose weight or maintain depending on calorie intake.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options

You can't outrun a bad diet means that the exercise you do won't burn enough calories to make all the extra calories you stuff into your face disappear.

And it doesn't matter if he's got a master's degree. Unless it's in nutrition he might as well be a plumber when it comes to nutrition.

Nope - it all starts with diet. If you eat wrong, then you will be wrong.

You are wrong. Also, you refuse to take me up on the challenge. As a former chocolatier, I already did my time. Time for you to do yours.
This discussion has been closed.