Calorie counting doesn't work according to a new study. Apparently.

Options

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    Once again, negative comments, has anyone done any research on this subject?. Typical.

The title is misleading. Being a person who had severe digestive issues for 6-12 months. I did my research on the subject. Gut health is probably the most critical part for the human body to function properly.

I agree. I had equivalent issues and found out through a nutritionist, doctor, and great PTs that the only way to fight these issues is with a good diet first - a nutritional program. Not just eating less than what you expend - there's a real difference there.

CICO, metabolics, dietary formulation (program), and training (program). Wish I followed it when I was in my 20s more. I know I have much to look forward to knowing what I know now.

You can't outrun a bad diet - maybe if you are in your 20s, but try hitting 40 and beyond. CICO just exemplifies the rest. Calories In (what kind of calorie) and Calories Out (what are you doing). That's a loaded monster right there.

Yes I have as I have family with issues and I wanted to help them out...so I did some research.

As for the bolded...nutritionist pft...I can get an online course and get a certificate in a weekend, Doctors receive appx 24 hours of nutritional education through out medical school unless they specialize, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430660/

And PT's well okay but they shouldn't be giving out nutritional advice as they are not RD's.

CICO...that's it...not the kinds of calories....quality is good but quantity is what leads to weight loss/gain.

The person I consulted had a Masters degree from an internationally-accredited university and over 10 years of success. All of them gave out the same advice in the end when you bottom-line it - you can't outrun a bad diet. Eat right and you will succeed - that's the long-term vision and it works. Works for me.

You can't outrun a bad diet. Plain and simple.

You can't outrun a bad diet means that the exercise you do won't burn enough calories to make all the extra calories you stuff into your face disappear.

And it doesn't matter if he's got a master's degree. Unless it's in nutrition he might as well be a plumber when it comes to nutrition.

@tedboosalis7 actually has the correct understanding of that statement.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting alone will not work long term. Most will gain their weight back is a fact. Same success rate as other diets.
    To have long term success it has to be more than weighing , measuring and wearing fitbits around or you will gain your weight back.

The interesting thing about bringing up long term success rates - is that evidently nothing works long term. So why even bother - pack up and go home

And to the other gentlemen, I double dog dare you to eat 1500 cals of broccoli a day for a year.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    aimeerace wrote: »
    Once again, negative comments, has anyone done any research on this subject?. Typical.

The title is misleading. Being a person who had severe digestive issues for 6-12 months. I did my research on the subject. Gut health is probably the most critical part for the human body to function properly.

Oh Pu, dear Pu. Tell me how my gut bacteria can create energy out of nothing to make me fat when I'm not at a surplus.

Eat 1500 calories of cake for a year and come back and tell us how you really feel. The reason you won't is because you know that can't work. I double dare you.

and there is the strawman argument….because no one eats a diet of 100% cake...

I'd like to... :lol:

honestly, I think that would get boring. I would miss bagels, eggs, bacon, pasta, bread, ice cream, etc.

I can only imagine the threads on mfp. "I cheated today :( That lean steak with veggies looked so good..."
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    giphy.gif
    3166475.gif
    Glad I got in on this thread early.

in…for the lock….
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    daily mail...nuff said

Yep
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Calorie counting alone will not work long term. Most will gain their weight back is a fact. Same success rate as other diets.
    To have long term success it has to be more than weighing , measuring and wearing fitbits around or you will gain your weight back.

The interesting thing about bringing up long term success rates - is that evidently nothing works long term. So why even bother - pack up and go home

And to the other gentlemen, I double dog dare you to eat 1500 cals of broccoli a day for a year.

we all die, so don't even bother living life, right?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Oh Pu, dear Pu. Tell me how my gut bacteria can create energy out of nothing to make me fat when I'm not at a surplus.

Eat 1500 calories of cake for a year and come back and tell us how you really feel. The reason you won't is because you know that can't work. I double dare you.

honestly, I think that would get boring. I would miss bagels, eggs, bacon, pasta, bread, ice cream, etc.

I can only imagine the threads on mfp. "I cheated today :( That lean steak with veggies looked so good..."

lol
  • stevencloser
    Options

I agree. I had equivalent issues and found out through a nutritionist, doctor, and great PTs that the only way to fight these issues is with a good diet first - a nutritional program. Not just eating less than what you expend - there's a real difference there.

CICO, metabolics, dietary formulation (program), and training (program). Wish I followed it when I was in my 20s more. I know I have much to look forward to knowing what I know now.

You can't outrun a bad diet - maybe if you are in your 20s, but try hitting 40 and beyond. CICO just exemplifies the rest. Calories In (what kind of calorie) and Calories Out (what are you doing). That's a loaded monster right there.

Yes I have as I have family with issues and I wanted to help them out...so I did some research.

As for the bolded...nutritionist pft...I can get an online course and get a certificate in a weekend, Doctors receive appx 24 hours of nutritional education through out medical school unless they specialize, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430660/

And PT's well okay but they shouldn't be giving out nutritional advice as they are not RD's.

CICO...that's it...not the kinds of calories....quality is good but quantity is what leads to weight loss/gain.

The person I consulted had a Masters degree from an internationally-accredited university and over 10 years of success. All of them gave out the same advice in the end when you bottom-line it - you can't outrun a bad diet. Eat right and you will succeed - that's the long-term vision and it works. Works for me.

You can't outrun a bad diet means that the exercise you do won't burn enough calories to make all the extra calories you stuff into your face disappear.

And it doesn't matter if he's got a master's degree. Unless it's in nutrition he might as well be a plumber when it comes to nutrition.

He doesn't.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

"Today I didn't manage to eat my calorie allowance in cake. The fruit I had on the side had me under my goal"

HAHAHAHAHA.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Not by a long shot.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    From the article
    Fifteen thousand years ago, man regularly ate around 150 ingredients in a week.
    Nowadays, most people consume fewer than 20 separate food items, and many — if not most — of these are artificially refined, says Professor Spector.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3077507/Everything-think-know-diets-wrong.html#ixzz3ZvNmS85l
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Sure lets look at these 20 foods and see how many ingredients they have.
    For ten days, Tom, a student, went on a diet exclusively of Chicken McNuggets and Big Macs, washed down with McFlurry ice cream desserts and regular Cokes.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3077507/Everything-think-know-diets-wrong.html#ixzz3ZvOUjRBX
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So he is getting not all of his micro nutrients and wonders why he is getting sick. Is that some breaking news?

I can even finish reading this crap anymore.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    You can't outrun a bad diet unless maybe pro athletes
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1559711-25-athletes-who-love-fast-food/page/12
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

Nope - it all starts with diet. If you eat wrong, then you will be wrong.

You are wrong. Also, you refuse to take me up on the challenge. As a former chocolatier, I already did my time. Time for you to do yours.

This sounds like the challenge creationists give biologists. "Show me a cat giving birth to a dog and I'll accept evolution!"
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    hmmm it worked me as I lost weight and have kept it off for almost ten years now ….

1500 calories of cake for a year - I really really doubt it. McDonalds - really really doubt it man. You ate a good nutritional profile because you knew that was the primary mover in the battle.

where in my post did I say I ate 1500 calories of cake?????

I was talking about calorie counting ….

Exactly my point. You didn't. That's the point I am making. Did you not see that above. I really really doubt it. You didn't.

But from now on - I want you to eat 1500 calories of cake/day for a year. That's it. You can't have anything else. I want to know what you will look and feel like after one year.

Nobody on here will do it. It's obvious why - if you did - you wouldn't be healthy and fit even with exercise. There would be things going wrong that would uproot your exercise regimen and your health.

You can't outrun a bad diet.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options

He doesn't.

Sorry but the stats and the studies don't lie. You do.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Better yet - eat McDonalds ONLY for ONE year. No salads - just their core foods, burgers, fried foods - ONE year - and come back and tell us how you really feel - WITH blood work - before and after. I double dare you.

10riar5lvali.png

Looky at this...a full day at McDonalds within Maitenance, hitting my Macros...and I get ice cream too...Yah. Notice that is 2 wraps cause I get hungry at night...

You're my hero for putting this together. <3

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    you-cant-outrun-a-bad-diet.jpg

Heh.

Poor Ronald.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    hmmm it worked me as I lost weight and have kept it off for almost ten years now ….

1500 calories of cake for a year - I really really doubt it. McDonalds - really really doubt it man. You ate a good nutritional profile because you knew that was the primary mover in the battle.

where in my post did I say I ate 1500 calories of cake?????

I was talking about calorie counting ….

Exactly my point. You didn't. That's the point I am making. Did you not see that above. I really really doubt it. You didn't.

But from now on - I want you to eat 1500 calories of cake/day for a year. That's it. You can't have anything else. I want to know what you will look and feel like after one year.

Nobody on here will do it. It's obvious why - if you did - you wouldn't be healthy and fit even with exercise. There would be things going wrong that would uproot your exercise regimen and your health.

You can't outrun a bad diet.

Go eat 1500 calories of nothing but broccoli for a year and then let's compare each other's bloodwork then. Always need a control group. I'd prefer the year of nothing but McDonalds though.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Nope - it all starts with diet. If you eat wrong, then you will be wrong.

You are wrong. Also, you refuse to take me up on the challenge. As a former chocolatier, I already did my time. Time for you to do yours.

So answer me this, since you're so deadset on fear mongering: how is it that over the course of a year I managed to lose fifty five pounds while eating things I still enjoy (cake, ice cream, fast food) and still remain in optimal health? I've been to the doctor recently and found zero problems (aside from my genetically high blood pressure, which is actually slightly reduced for the first time since I was sixteen).

Besides, define "bad diet." Ever heard of a "balanced diet"?
  • stevencloser
    edited May 2015
    Options

He doesn't.

Sorry but the stats and the studies don't lie. You do.

There've been studies done on what the definition of a sentence is? That's a new one.
This discussion has been closed.