What I ate while losing the FIRST 150 pounds

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Seconded. Started off morbidly obese. Now fit and healthy. Ate KFC yesterday. :drinker:

There goes all your progress!

But seriously, congrats on your success so far, Hoss. :drinker:
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed! I'm hovering right around 160 right now... so you almost lost a whole me!
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude, but

Oh yeah, ONLY sweetness follows this kind of phrasing. Only. Sweetness.
    seeing all these types of foods at once made my stomach hurt. :bigsmile:
    Maybe it's just a matter of perception - seeing all the pics in only one sequence - but still. Too much fried stuff (yikes!) to my french-trained taste; no fresh, raw veggies (yeah onions are veggies... fried in this case)! (Ah, Americans! :wink: )
    Or maybe you just meant to point out that one doesn't need to restrict as long as there's a deficit?

Anyway, congrats for your great success so far!
    And there it is. (Ah, stereotypical French-trained condescension! :wink: )

Fortunately, the French clients I've taken out to dinner in the Southeast have very much enjoyed the flavors and the introduction to American wines. Most French are not like this. It's like hearing the most obnoxious New Yorker in traffic and saying all Americans behave that way.

Most French are not like this. --> Not like what?? really, this is getting annoying. There is only one person that replied to my comment who actually understood what I was saying (moderation etc).

Now the ones that took it like condescendence, it's sad that you don't understand what I'm writing.

I love frog legs with garlic and parsley. If an American told me that it's really not his type of food I wouldn't insult him and say he's being stupid for not understanding the traditions . So why would I let YOU do that about me.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Holy Lord! You obviously live in the South.

Exactly what I was thinking!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    People seem to have trouble understanding that this isn't how it works. Attaching "Respectfully" or "with all due respect" to a long litany of criticism, put-downs, and snark does not make it acceptable.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Maybe it's just a matter of perception - seeing all the pics in only one sequence - but still. Too much fried stuff (yikes!) to my french-trained taste; no fresh, raw veggies (yeah onions are veggies... fried in this case)! (Ah, Americans! :wink: )
    Or maybe you just meant to point out that one doesn't need to restrict as long as there's a deficit?

Fortunately, the French clients I've taken out to dinner in the Southeast have very much enjoyed the flavors and the introduction to American wines. Most French are not like this. It's like hearing the most obnoxious New Yorker in traffic and saying all Americans behave that way.

Most French are not like this. --> Not like what?? really, this is getting annoying. There is only one person that replied to my comment who actually understood what I was saying (moderation etc).

Now the ones that took it like condescendence, it's sad that you don't understand what I'm writing.

I love frog legs with garlic and parsley. If an American told me that it's really not his type of food I wouldn't insult him and say he's being stupid for not understanding the traditions . So why would I let YOU do that about me.

Because you bothered to post in an insulting way in a thread for which you have clearly nothing to add. It's pathetic.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight-loss. Really! Great work!

Just want to add that not everybody could eat those foods and lose weight. A common misconception among many MFPers is that everyone is like them. OP, you weighed over 500 pounds! You're male. You're youngish. We are not the same. I could never eat those things, not even a smidge of those things, and lose weight, as an older lady with not that much to lose.

But thanks for the purty pictures of food. Looked like a selection from Thisiswhyyouarefat.com.

Interesting

I am female, not youngish and I eat ice cream every day and while not a fan of fried food (sorry Hoss) I eat cheesecake and other goodies with regularity and continued to do so throughout my whole diet - where I had less than 40lb to lose (actually less than 25lb to get to a healthy BF%)
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

thats my point. im further along in losing weight than the OP. in the beginning i was eaitng a lot less healthier and losing weight was easy. i still ate fast food for example. but as the weight came off that became harder and harder and i had to really start to regulate what i ate.

as for my profile pics fwiw they are from december. i stepped updating and using mfp for that once i found something better.

That's not what this thread is for. You need to take a good look at threads in the future, and check to see if your post meets the following conditions:

A) it is warranted and appropriate for the topic, and goes with the discussion

And

2) It is relevant to the conversation, and is on topic

Wait, aren't those the same things?

I don't remember anyone asking you for your opinion, yet your nonsense is on every page of the OP's thread, in which he talks about his 150 pound loss and the ability to fit what he likes into his macros from time to time. He's not eating that daily, but he's not depriving himself of it either.

WTF is wrong with some of you? How dare you.. you say none of this to the other people who are in IIFYM.
  • LePetitCochon
    Options
    I :heart: you, Hoss!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

if everyone except for you read it as condescending, then maybe the problem is with your comprehension and not theirs.

reading between the lines, what you wrote did come across as mildly condescending.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Awesome job on the loss to date!:drinker: Bumping to view food pics later:bigsmile: ! Friend request sent, because I need to know some more good ol' boys who know what real food is!:laugh:
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options

You started your initial post with "I don't mean to be rude", acknowledging that you KNEW your post would be rude.
  • BeachIron
    Options

thats my point. im further along in losing weight than the OP. in the beginning i was eaitng a lot less healthier and losing weight was easy. i still ate fast food for example. but as the weight came off that became harder and harder and i had to really start to regulate what i ate.

as for my profile pics fwiw they are from december. i stepped updating and using mfp for that once i found something better.

That's not what this thread is for. You need to take a good look at threads in the future, and check to see if your post meets the following conditions:

And

I don't remember anyone asking you for your opinion, yet your nonsense is on every page of the OP's thread, in which he talks about his 150 pound loss and the ability to fit what he likes into his macros from time to time. He's not eating that daily, but he's not depriving himself of it either.

WTF is wrong with some of you? How dare you.. you say none of this to the other people who are in IIFYM.

Actually, he posts this type of negativity all the time. Misery loves company.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight-loss. Really! Great work!

Just want to add that not everybody could eat those foods and lose weight. A common misconception among many MFPers is that everyone is like them. OP, you weighed over 500 pounds! You're male. You're youngish. We are not the same. I could never eat those things, not even a smidge of those things, and lose weight, as an older lady with not that much to lose.

But thanks for the purty pictures of food. Looked like a selection from Thisiswhyyouarefat.com.

No.

+1
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

No *kitten*?? Well, sounds like someone needs a visit from Jules.. I feel sorry for him.
    SLJ2_zps08907fec.gif
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

Oh okay. We didn't realize this wasn't going down the way you wanted it to. Why don't you let us all know how we SHOULD react when you volunteer that his post basically turned your stomach, then take swipes at people couched in smilies and some afterthought about moderation. Gosh we sure don't want to get it wrong next time! :flowerforyou:

ETA: Whether or not you're able to understand that you were rude doesn't make you any less so.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

And

where do i post this type of negativity all the time?

and i apologized for coming across as rude here fwiw.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    You were morbidly obese.
    You still are.

You were eating like crap before.
    You are eating like crap now.

Let me get this straight - making a post about processed, fried and unhealthy food is in fact helpful to the countless number of people on this site trying to lose weight?

Oh I get it - jeez am so dumb at times, nah it's actually eating less of the same crap ( moderation please ) the way to go.
    Yep gotcha :-)

At the weight you started - you will lose weight even if you cut down ONE single fried onion from the crap you are eating - get this you are FAT.

Isn't this suppose to be some kind of lifestyle change? Where's the change? Give it a year, give it two years, give it five years, you will be back to where you started.

Like many others, we will see a post from you too -"Back Again".

If I am mean, so be it.

Now let all those superfit, super toned people, who lift super heavy and eat pizza and ice cream every thing day have a hissy fit at me. I couldn't care less. You know why? Look below - do you see a ticker? None. Never had a weight problem. Never will. And I speak in absolutes.

Do you see a ticker below majority of the people who will be having a hissing fit at me? Plenty.

I wish you luck. I wish you good health. Most of all, wishful thinking - people stop this silly business as there are some people right here right now who are truly struggling with their eating habits and hoping to make changes.

Respectfully,
    N

Interesting post considering you're the author of this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/803502-the-last-ten-pounds-took-ten-years

Just a snippet:
    At some point - I don't know how, I don't know why, I just know it happened: I woke up.

I can't explain what happened, I have no words for it, and I have no formula for it that anyone else could follow. I try to wrap words around it, but really, that only confuses things more. Something just snapped.

I realized what was happening. I had spent my life trying to lose ten pounds. I had spent my life completely consumed with . . . whatever. Health, food, fitness, exercise, whatever. You know what they say about good intentions.

It doesn't matter. It really doesn't matter. No one can convince me that it does matter, because I know. I know.

When I see the diet guru-of-the-week now, I change the channel.

When I hear people talking about their diets, I lose interest. Not that important. Just not that important. They look down on me. I don't care. It would be nice if I could help them stop the suffering I know they're going through, because I used to be like them. They don't want it, so, I just go about my life. I am clean.

I am not going to write a self-help bestseller-of-the-week about this.

You "speak in absolutes"? Or, more to the point, you absolutely don't know what you're speaking about. You post a long tirade of how you had some major epiphany that you're fine with your weight and who you are, and that you don't worry or care about other people's diets, and yet, you join a site specifically designed for just that very thing, you felt the need to criticize someone for their food choices and their success...all from the new, 2 total posts, blue man group account. That's classy.

Here's the thing, you don't know Hoss, you don't know how hard he works, the drive he has to succeed and the accomplishments he's had along the way. You know this thread, and if that's all you know...then you know nothing. He's not whining about how hard it is, or how he's gained 1 lb over the last 3 days because he binged on 2 cupcakes last weekend. He's explaining that he has been able to lose 150 lbs eating real food and making it work for him.

Yes, he is obese, as are many of us, and yes, with a calorie deficit of any type he'll lose weight, but it's actually adhering to that deficit to accomplish 150 lb loss, well, that's worthy of a congrats and a pat on the back. Is he done? From what I know of him...not even close. Do I believe he can and will maintain 1 yr, 3 yrs, 5 yrs from now? I have no doubt at all.

From some of the posts I've read, it's as though people think that he eats like this all day everyday. If I understand this post correctly, it's ok to eat real food, stay within your goals, and achieve success.
  • BeachIron
    Options

No *kitten*?? Well, sounds like someone needs a visit from Jules.. I feel sorry for him.
    SLJ2_zps08907fec.gif

Yep. I hope this thread survives because it would make a great poster child for why so many flexile dieters/IIFYM types like myself have developed a distinct distaste for the clean eating crowd on MFP. Overly restrictive. Negative. Condescending. Cannot even be mature enough to say "congratulations" to someone who has clearly earned it simply because his diet doesn't fit into their narrow world view.
  • BeachIron
    Options

And

where do i post this type of negativity all the time?

and i apologized for coming across as rude here fwiw.

Dude. Have you not done enough hijacking of this gentleman's post? Do you not have the maturity and social skills to say, "oh, wait, I'm arguing about this guy's diet and I haven't even bothered to acknowledge his success?" Go look at your past posts.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!