I am never hungry I have to force myself to eat and I just gain gain gain weight

Replies

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    When my dad passed, it was hard. I was Daddy's little girl. Part of how I got through it was thinking "Is this what he'd want for me?" He loved me and would not want me making bad choices because he left.

In my opinion, you're not hungry because you're depressed about your dad passing away. If you're only taking in 300-600 calories a day, you're not eating enough to sustain yourself and that adorable little baby will soon have a sick momma.

I know you're on Wellbutrin and something for anxiety and seeing a therapist. I think you need to be assertive with your therapist about how much you're struggling. Because the feelings you're experiencing seem to be severe enough to negatively impact your health if they continue.

*nodding*

I lost my dad in December. Getting my medication in order along with therapy came fist. Then I sorted out my calories. When you're feeling up to it take a good look at your diary.

I wish you the best of luck.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited May 2015
    snowflake.gif
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    There is no drug, and no medical condition that will make you store fat in the absence of calories to create it. It's really that simple.

Well said. People have been trying to say that, but you nailed it down in one sentence.

There are always calories involved. But if you're a person who eats 800 calories per day and 600 of them are stored as fat, that statement is worthless.
    So, the OP could very well be consuming as few calories as she states, and still gaining weight. It is possible.

Please, tell me of the medications that cause a person's metabolism to change so much that they have a 200 calorie maintenance.

Just to be clear, while I was arguing that medications can lower your calories out I was not arguing they could lead to a 200 calorie maintenance.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    I haven't read all 8 pages. Has anyone suggested... Just smoke weed. You will be hungry everytime you want to be.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    spicy618 wrote: »
    I haven't read all 8 pages. Has anyone suggested... Just smoke weed. You will be hungry everytime you want to be.

Yes, because it's best to just ignore one's problems instead of addressing the underlying issues.
  • ea15792
    ea15792 Posts: 14 Member
    To the OP please go and see your doctor. Just because you are on an anti-depressant now doesn't mean it's addressing your symptoms. Your doctor can prescribe a different med or a higher dose to help you deal with your symptoms. I would also encourage you to discuss your weight gain with your doctor to see if there is an underlying medical condition (however remote that possibility is).

The reality is though, weight gain or loss is all about CICO, and most people don't have a medical reason why their BMR is lowered (ceraintly not enough to gain 45lbs in a year). It's almost always because that person is eating far more than they think. One of the great things about MFP is that if you log everything, down to the sugar in your tea and the dressing in your salad, you will get a clear picture of how much you are consuming. I would also encourage you to weigh your food in grams rather than ozs.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015

But... that's not how hypothalmic obesity works, and you're really grasping at straws. She'd have to have a brain tumor or something of the like to be causing it.

She stated she had no appetite. People with hypothalmic obesity most definitely have an appetite. It's part of the condition. It's part of what causes a lot of them to get obese. They continue to gain weight on calorie restriction because they're hormone pathways are jacked.

As usual, you read half the information on the subject.

I said in my original post that this information was unlikely to apply to the OP; however I was compelled to respond to the many declarations that have been made here saying there is no medical condition that causes weight gain when calories are restricted.

So yes, there is.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    I've begun to notice a common trend among people who blame their medications, medical conditions (which they usually haven't even been properly diagnosed with), and everything other than themselves for their weight gain, these people seem to be the "woe is me" types who blame everything else for what they do to themselves. You can blame blame blame forever and see where it gets you, but until you take accountability you will never lose the weight. When the scale doesn't budge as much as I like I blame myself because it is always because I worked out less than I should have or because I ate more than I should have. Either you can accept that the problem is you and fix it, or continue the road you're on. It isn't easy. If it were easy to lose weight everyone would be fit. It takes hard work and dedication, but it is worth it.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    where is this magic weight gain medication, and how do I get some?
  • forgtmenot

But... that's not how hypothalmic obesity works, and you're really grasping at straws. She'd have to have a brain tumor or something of the like to be causing it.

She stated she had no appetite. People with hypothalmic obesity most definitely have an appetite. It's part of the condition. It's part of what causes a lot of them to get obese. They continue to gain weight on calorie restriction because they're hormone pathways are jacked.

I said in my original post that this information was unlikely to apply to the OP; however I was compelled to respond to the many declarations that have been made here saying there is no medical condition that causes weight gain when calories are restricted.

So yes, there is.

Please cite sources of a medical condition which causes weight gain without eating.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    LLduds wrote: »
    When I started using this site 2 months ago, I thought some people in the forums sounded pretty harsh. I'd like to announce that, with threads like this, I now officially "get it". Holy frustration!!

I love seeing posts like this.....

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    jennk5309 wrote: »
    My mother has been overweight her whole adult life, and she eats less than any human I know. However, when she DOES eat, it's utter crap. Chips and dip, ice cream floats, etc. You can eat a whole lot of healthy, lower calorie stuff and lose weight, or a little bit of crap and pack on pounds because it is so calorie dense. Also, she primarily eats late at night after not eating all day, and then she goes to sleep. I know some people say it doesn't matter when you eat, but I sort of disagree.....I've had days that I've overeaten but did so early and stopped eating after dinner, stayed awake several more hours, perhaps exercised in that time and still lost instead of gained. I don't know if these are your issues or not, just something to check off your list of what you are or aren't doing.

To the part in bold. NO. It doesn't work like that. What matters, for weight loss, is that your calories in are less than your calories out. Period.

Eating calorie dense foods can be less satiating, so you can be tempted to eat more of them, thereby exceeding your Calorie In portion of the equation.

As others are pointing out in this thread, there are also medical conditions which can impact the Calories Out portion of the equation too.

However, there are not medications which magically create energy out of nothing, and certain foods do not invalidate that basic principle either.

• Chrysalid2014
    MrM27 wrote: »

First off if you looked into it you would see that there are several factors that come into play there and a big on is a reduction in metabolic rate. No where does it say that you will gain fat while under eating or like in the case of the OP, under eating by hundreds and hundreds of calories. This is not the first time you've mentioned that medical condition and not once have you used it accurately.

"Reduction in metabolic rate". In other words, they don't 'burn' the calories.

Yes, people with HO gain fat while under eating, as noted in my first reply to you:
    Such patients gain weight even in response to caloric restriction, and attempts at lifestyle modification are useless to prevent or treat the obesity.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member

So yes, there is.

So you are saying that scientists have invented a drug that turns empty space into matter spontaneously? I'm surprised this hasn't been in the news more.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member

First off if you looked into it you would see that there are several factors that come into play there and a big on is a reduction in metabolic rate. No where does it say that you will gain fat while under eating or like in the case of the OP, under eating by hundreds and hundreds of calories. This is not the first time you've mentioned that medical condition and not once have you used it accurately.

Yes, people with HO gain fat while under eating, as noted in my first reply to you:
    Such patients gain weight even in response to caloric restriction, and attempts at lifestyle modification are useless to prevent or treat the obesity.

Caloric restriction and under eating are not the same thing. You don't gain weight if you under eat.
  • forgtmenot

So you're saying if the obese people with this condition stopped eating they would live on nothing forever and stay the same size? I call BS...
  • Chrysalid2014
    forgtmenot wrote: »

So you're saying if the obese people with this condition stopped eating they would live on nothing forever and stay the same size? I call BS...

No, they would probably die very quickly from organ failure because their body would not have the most basic nutrients it needs to function.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member

No, they would probably die very quickly from organ failure because their body would not have the most basic nutrients it needs to function.

But they would still gain weight?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member

Well, yes, but to what point of caloric restriction, though?

You need to read more sources than Lustig.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited May 2015
    melandry03 wrote: »
    I haven't read the entire thread, so I'm sorry if this has been said before.

It's really hard to say what the OP is doing wrong except for offering general advice, such as logging everything and weighing what she eats for accuracy. She might have a thyroid problem, or maybe she's on a drug that makes you put on ridiculous amounts of weight and causes diabetes if you're on it long enough. Zyprexa, for example, was a drug that created a class action lawsuit because of these type of effects. The people who sued won.

That said, ignorance is not bliss, and until the OP gets the information she needs from logging what she consumes, she won't know where the problem lies.

Drugs that cause weight gain do so by increasing appetite, lowering physical activity due to fatigue, or increasing fluid retention. They do not create fat out of nothing. I'm pretty sure the OP would know if she was on a medication that caused severe fluid retention to the turn of 45lbs. So either she is eating more than she thinks, or she is in a coma and burning less than a woman of her size should. Even with hypothyroidism one would not burn less than 800 calories a day.

Are you a scientist studying metabolic abnormalities and antidepressants? If not, you have no clue.

I have taken a number of anti depressants, I've actually taken nearly every anti depressant on the market. Did I gain weight while on them? Sometimes I did. Was I eating more when I gained weight? Absolutely. They cause weight gain by increasing appetite, which is how most drugs that cause weight gain manage to do it. You cannot create something out of nothing, it just doesn't work that way. I actually am a science major, but no I've never studied metabolic disorders specifically, and I never said anything about metabolic disorders. I was commenting specifically on weight gain due to medications.

I've taken every AD on the market, as well. I was 95 lbs when I started the meds. Prior to starting them, I couldn't gain a pound no matter how hard I tried. After gaining the initial 20 lbs, I saw a dietitian who put me on a restrictive diet and I followed it to a T. I was a competitive gymnast and cheerleader, training 3 hours a day, 5 times a week. I wasn't eating more or moving less. In fact, I was eating less and still as active as I was before I started the meds. Antidepressants can directly cause metabolic disorders, hence my situation. Not only did I develop insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia, I have a medically low RMR now on top of it.

Science is constantly evolving. This is a field in particular that is not well understood and more research needs to be conducted to figure out why people gain massive amounts of weight on AD's when they are not eating more calories. Hopefully some day, a genius will figure it out so more people don't have to suffer.

Edited to fix grammar.
This discussion has been closed.