I am never hungry I have to force myself to eat and I just gain gain gain weight

Replies

• forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    melandry03 wrote: »
    I haven't read the entire thread, so I'm sorry if this has been said before.

It's really hard to say what the OP is doing wrong except for offering general advice, such as logging everything and weighing what she eats for accuracy. She might have a thyroid problem, or maybe she's on a drug that makes you put on ridiculous amounts of weight and causes diabetes if you're on it long enough. Zyprexa, for example, was a drug that created a class action lawsuit because of these type of effects. The people who sued won.

That said, ignorance is not bliss, and until the OP gets the information she needs from logging what she consumes, she won't know where the problem lies.

Drugs that cause weight gain do so by increasing appetite, lowering physical activity due to fatigue, or increasing fluid retention. They do not create fat out of nothing. I'm pretty sure the OP would know if she was on a medication that caused severe fluid retention to the tune of 45lbs. So either she is eating more than she thinks, or she is in a coma and burning less than a woman of her size should. Even with hypothyroidism one would not burn less than 800 calories a day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,901 Member
    edited May 2015
    A little common sense here: If under eating caused weight gain, then anorexia wouldn't exist.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    forgtmenot wrote: »

It's really hard to say what the OP is doing wrong except for offering general advice, such as logging everything and weighing what she eats for accuracy. She might have a thyroid problem, or maybe she's on a drug that makes you put on ridiculous amounts of weight and causes diabetes if you're on it long enough. Zyprexa, for example, was a drug that created a class action lawsuit because of these type of effects. The people who sued won.

That said, ignorance is not bliss, and until the OP gets the information she needs from logging what she consumes, she won't know where the problem lies.

Drugs that cause weight gain do so by increasing appetite, lowering physical activity due to fatigue, or increasing fluid retention. They do not create fat out of nothing. I'm pretty sure the OP would know if she was on a medication that caused severe fluid retention to the turn of 45lbs. So either she is eating more than she thinks, or she is in a coma and burning less than a woman of her size should. Even with hypothyroidism one would not burn less than 800 calories a day.

Bingo. My antihypertensives make me sluggish, my depo provera increases my appetite...but I still lost the weight.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    There is no drug, and no medical condition that will make you store fat in the absence of calories to create it. It's really that simple.

Water weight in the amount the OP has seen? Maybe? I don't know? A tumor? I think it's possible.

But I seriously doubt, reading between the lines, that either of those is the case.

I asked two questions, but by then the OP had left the thread. Were she truly consuming as little as she thought for as long as she implied in her first post, she wouldn't be functioning. Her hair would likely be falling out. Her periods would have stopped.

Things just don't add up for all of you who want to believe in special snowflakes. Sorry.

Well said. People have been trying to say that, but you nailed it down in one sentence.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member

Drugs that cause weight gain do so by increasing appetite, lowering physical activity due to fatigue, or increasing fluid retention. They do not create fat out of nothing. I'm pretty sure the OP would know if she was on a medication that caused severe fluid retention to the turn of 45lbs. So either she is eating more than she thinks, or she is in a coma and burning less than a woman of her size should. Even with hypothyroidism one would not burn less than 800 calories a day.

Are you a scientist studying metabolic abnormalities and antidepressants? If not, you have no clue.
  • lemonsnowdrop

Are you a scientist studying metabolic abnormalities and antidepressants? If not, you have no clue.

Are you? If not, you have no clue.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member

Are you?

Are you seriously asserting that a drug could create fat?

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member

I guess I should file a lawsuit against my doctors who put me on medications that caused me to gain 111 lbs within 3 years and develop insulin resistance.

Perhaps. Was weight gain listed as a possible side-effect of the medications? If yes, then they'll say you took it knowing the possible consequences. If no, can you prove it was definitely the medications that caused your weight gain? i.e. your calorie intake was strictly controlled and documented, and you didn't have any other things going on that might have caused weight gain? And can you prove that this weight gain caused you real "damage" (and depending on where you live, pain and suffering is not considered damage in legal terms). If so, you might just have a case...!
  • forgtmenot

I have taken a number of anti depressants, I've actually taken nearly every anti depressant on the market. Did I gain weight while on them? Sometimes I did. Was I eating more when I gained weight? Absolutely. They cause weight gain by increasing appetite, which is how most drugs that cause weight gain manage to do it. You cannot create something out of nothing, it just doesn't work that way. I actually am a science major, but no I've never studied metabolic disorders specifically, and I never said anything about metabolic disorders. I was commenting specifically on weight gain due to medications.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015
    There is no drug, and no medical condition that will make you store fat in the absence of calories to create it. It's really that simple.

Well said. People have been trying to say that, but you nailed it down in one sentence.

There are always calories involved. But if you're a person who eats 800 calories per day and 600 of them are stored as fat, that statement is worthless.
    So, the OP could very well be consuming as few calories as she states, and still gaining weight. It is possible.
  • forgtmenot
    edited May 2015
    If medications create fat stores even when the patient is not eating anything we need to start giving them to anorexics and cure world hunger with them.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    edited May 2015
    This thread...where to start?
    • Great monday morning fodder
    • I developed a headache somewhere between the first few posts and now
    • There was a great deal of sound advice repeated over and over and over
    • Medical conditions were disclosed, finally
    • Mean thread is mean
    • Thread has become a fascinating train wreck for OP but a worthwhile read for bystanders, both for entertainment and info.

And for my closing thought, I leave you all with this...

tl4vqzg1qlcz.jpg
  • lemonsnowdrop
    If medications create fat stores even when the patient is not eating anything we need to start giving them to anorexics and cure world hunger with them.

It's funny, because one of the most well known drugs given to those with cancer and anorexia is Megace - which increases appetite. Does it magically create and store fat? No, because no medication does.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member

There are always calories involved. But if you're a person who eats 800 calories per day and 600 of them are stored as fat, that statement is worthless.
    So, the OP could very well be consuming as few calories as she states, and still gaining weight. It is possible.

If you ate 800, and 600 are stored as fat, then you are not in an absence of those calories. The statement still holds. It's basic thermodynamics. She's saying that if you eat nothing, you can't gain fat. Period.
  • ljakubowsky
    ljakubowsky Posts: 4 Member
    I understand how u feel. Everyone that is saying u are eating more than you think may not understand I'm putting everything down what I eat in my journal and my pedometer goes straight to it. I have to force myself to eat According to fitness pal should be losing 13-18 lbs every 5 was instead I'm gaining. I know I have to do more strenuous exercise because my metabolism is lowest but can't because I've gone from 200 lbs to 324 lbs in 2 1/2 yrs. started putting on weight because depressed and did eat bad but past yr not. I know everyone is well intentioned and yes we do eat more then we think so yes keep journal and evaluate it. We do have to eat and harder when not hungry. This is my last attempt my friend are after me to go to doctor but maybe God just wants me to be fat and accept it which would be devastating for me
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member

But... that's not how hypothalmic obesity works, and you're really grasping at straws. She'd have to have a brain tumor or something of the like to be causing it.

She stated she had no appetite. People with hypothalmic obesity most definitely have an appetite. It's part of the condition. It's part of what causes a lot of them to get obese. They continue to gain weight on calorie restriction because they're hormone pathways are jacked.

As usual, you read half the information on the subject.

• ljakubowsky
    ljakubowsky Posts: 4 Member
    I think wolf man was very rude in his post not all metabolism a are the same you don't know what is going on with that person or anyone else. Instead of being rude and disrespectful offer support and advice can be nonjudgmental.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    edited May 2015

I have taken a number of anti depressants, I've actually taken nearly every anti depressant on the market. Did I gain weight while on them? Sometimes I did. Was I eating more when I gained weight? Absolutely. They cause weight gain by increasing appetite, which is how most drugs that cause weight gain manage to do it. You cannot create something out of nothing, it just doesn't work that way. I actually am a science major, but no I've never studied metabolic disorders specifically, and I never said anything about metabolic disorders. I was commenting specifically on weight gain due to medications.

While drugs can't "create something out of nothing", they definitely can impact the "CO" part of the "CICO" equation. I have a special needs son who used to eat only through a G-tube. He didn't eat or drink a single calorie other than what his mother and I gave him through his G-tube. At one point we started him on an antidepressant and he immediately gained 10+ lbs. It wasn't because of increased hunger or increased eating (we didn't increase how much he was fed) so it must have been either water retention or decreased calories out. We didn't notice any decreased activity but it seems as though the drug must have lowered his resting metabolism enough that he gained weight.

We lowered his calories in and he stopped gaining weight and slowly lost what he had gained. I'm a big believer that medications can impact your "calories out" even if you think you are moving just as much as before. They don't change the laws of physics, the same CICO equation applies, but I think they must impact both the "CI" through increased appetite and the "CO" through decreased metabolism and/or decreased activity. They can be overcome but many of them can make weight loss or maintenance much tougher.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    When I started using this site 2 months ago, I thought some people in the forums sounded pretty harsh. I'd like to announce that, with threads like this, I now officially "get it". Holy frustration!!
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member

Please, tell me of the medications that cause a person's metabolism to change so much that they have a 200 calorie maintenance.
This discussion has been closed.