I am never hungry I have to force myself to eat and I just gain gain gain weight

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    All I can add is meticulously weigh, measure and log your food for a week or two. Be brutally honest with yourself, set your diary to private if you want to.
    After doing this, reassess your numbers and if you're truly are eating such low calories and putting on weight or maintaining, Id be getting your butt to the doctor asap
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Depression can manifest in many ways, including the lack of appetite. Go get some anti-depression medication, montior your food and liquid intake. /thread

She is on an anti-depressant as well as anxiety meds.

Don't these kind of meds make some people pack on the weight?

It still doesn't explain the supposed low calories and food hatred thing though....

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Depression can manifest in many ways, including the lack of appetite. Go get some anti-depression medication, montior your food and liquid intake. /thread

It still doesn't explain the supposed low calories and food hatred thing though....

Not the Wellbutrin, it actually helps some people lose weight. Sadly, I am not one of those people. :laugh: But it shouldn't be the culprit. I don't know about her other meds, though. Yet another reason she needs to speak truthfully with her doctor.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Medicine alone does not make you gain weight. They do not have the calories necessary to cause huge weight gain. What they can do is affect your appetite; either increasing or decreasing it.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    She apparently also has an aversion for asking for a different kind of medication; she stopped taking her meds for hypothyroid (levothyroxine) because it was causing her cystic acne.

OP, there are multiple medications to address many issues so you can feel "normal" and also have little or no side effects. I recommend you start there.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Maybe they need to be changed, I doubt a doctor would keep a patient on a medication if it wasn't helping them. Maybe I've been on MFP too long... people who have problems with asking for more helpful medication/advice/weightloss issues... can't solve the problem if you don't do anything to help it along, right? No bash to OP, I'm just... ugh. Just do what you need to to, no need to make excuses to not get things fixed.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I came here to provide input, but I honestly have no idea where to begin.

Just repeat what everybody else are saying.
  • Rachelinthecity
    Rachelinthecity Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Medicine alone does not make you gain weight. They do not have the calories necessary to cause huge weight gain. What they can do is affect your appetite; either increasing or decreasing it.

Medication can also affect metabolism, and cause other changes (hormonal changes, water retention, sedation/lack of energy, etc), in addition to simply increasing or decreasing appetite. Some medications, like steroids, can even change the way fat is distributed in your body. Obviously whatever nutritional value the medication itself has, if any, isn't going to affect weight, but medicine alone CAN affect your body in such a way that previously successful habits will no longer allow you to lose or maintain weight, and make you gain even though you haven't increased your caloric intake.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

Medication can also affect metabolism, and cause other changes (hormonal changes, water retention, sedation/lack of energy, etc), in addition to simply increasing or decreasing appetite. Some medications, like steroids, can even change the way fat is distributed in your body. Obviously whatever nutritional value the medication itself has, if any, isn't going to affect weight, but medicine alone CAN affect your body in such a way that previously successful habits will no longer allow you to lose or maintain weight, and make you gain even though you haven't increased your caloric intake.

Any links to scientificly proving that?

You gain weight when you eat to much calories ( more than you burn)
    medication can effect the rate you lose ( timeline) and can give your more or less appetite that's all.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

medication can effect the rate you lose ( timeline) and can give your more or less appetite that's all.

If you're hypothyroid for example, and you begin replacement therapy, your metabolism will increase to it's normal level. Likewise it will increase more if you take too much medication and become hyperthyroid.

I'm not sure about other medications, but certainly thyroid medications can affect your metabolism.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    A person can gain weight if his/her heart or kidneys aren't working properly. I have seen it in the hospital setting, but doubt that this is occurring in this individual--usually happens in older people. Also she may think that her thyroid medicine is causing her acne....I am not saying it is impossible but I have never seen it. More likely, her stress or something that she is eating may have caused it. It's possible that she is eating more than she thinks and it is causing her weight gain but she really needs to log to figure it out. Or better yet, go to the doctor where they can run a gamut of tests. IMHO
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

If you're hypothyroid for example, and you begin replacement therapy, your metabolism will increase to it's normal level. Likewise it will increase more if you take too much medication and become hyperthyroid.

I'm not sure about other medications, but certainly thyroid medications can affect your metabolism.

it affects it yes but that is all But still you dont gain weight when you dont get calories surplus.
    If that was true that those medication let you gain weight then we solved all the to skinny people problem in the world And vica versa.

It only makes it slower ( or faster)

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

it affects it yes but that is all But still you dont gain weight when you dont get calories surplus.
    If that was true that those medication let you gain weight then we solved all the to skinny people problem in the world And vica versa.

Correct. I didn't argue that.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Some people are also not used to the swings caused by water weight fluctuations - you can be doing everything right and the scale will be increasing if that's where the body is at, especially if you're taking a very micro short term view of the whole thing

But honestly the history of excuses we're learning is explaining things somewhat, because I was starting to not know the purpose of the whole thread anymore. The OP supposedly can barely consume enough calories to keep a baby alive and appears to have a little one to take care of, herself. So then create a thread so the people of the Internet can tell you what, exactly?? Best case scenario, what was the intended outcome?

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Maybe OP is sleep eating. Her body is probably thinking "Hey man, this chick doesn't give us enough food during the day so we will make her sleep eat instead so we can scoff some grub down"

Seriously OP. Losing your father must have been awful. Truly awful. You are on anti depressants and have a thyroid condition that you aren't medicating properly. You are not taking care of yourself and as someone who has suffered with depression in the past... We aren't always truthful to ourselves.

I would gain weight, be confused as to how and blame everything around me other than myself. Honey you are eating more than you burn. It's the only way we gain weight. I know you are eating what you assume is a small amount but well... Small amounts add up.

My suggestion is make weight loss NOT your number one priority right now. Make YOU your number one priority. You need some help with your grief. A new doctor to help with your thyroid and you need to get well as you do seem to have a really unhealthy relationship with food.

No one will be able to make this ok. Only you. Do it for you and think about how your father would feel to know his daughter is neglecting herself in such a heartbreaking way. :(
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    OP. I suggest reading up on this:
    http://web.mit.edu/16.unified/www/FALL/thermodynamics/notes/node15.html
    And apply that to your situation before making claims that you're eating less than you burn and gaining weight.
    I think a lot of the people saying that it's not possible to gain weight if you're eating fewer calories than you're burning off aren't thinking about the fact that just because an app or a website says you should be burning X amount of calories doing a certain amount of physical activity, it doesn't mean your body is actually burning that amount. I mean, yes, if you eat 1000 calories in a day and your body burns off 2000 calories (just to use random numbers), you won't gain weight. But there's no way for us to know what your body is *actually* burning off, despite what general information says the average person "should" burn doing a given activity. Medication, hormonal issues, stress, thyroid problems, etc can all totally mess you up and your number won't necessarily line up with the norm.

I agree that "burn more than you eat" is useless advice for people with certain medical conditions. If because of a medical condition, you don't "burn", then you will store fat even on very restricted calories. So telling such people to eat less than they burn is virtually meaningless. How are they supposed to achieve it when most of what they eat is stored as fat and not utilized? In the meantime, they have no energy and feel like they are starving because they can't utilize those calories properly.
    Admittedly, this may be rare and possibly not applicable to the OP, but facts should be acknowledged instead of repeatedly squawking "CICO, CICO" as the ultimate word in weight-loss advice. The CO side of the equation is widely variable for different people.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    And apply that to your situation before making claims that you're eating less than you burn and gaining weight.
    I think a lot of the people saying that it's not possible to gain weight if you're eating fewer calories than you're burning off aren't thinking about the fact that just because an app or a website says you should be burning X amount of calories doing a certain amount of physical activity, it doesn't mean your body is actually burning that amount. I mean, yes, if you eat 1000 calories in a day and your body burns off 2000 calories (just to use random numbers), you won't gain weight. But there's no way for us to know what your body is *actually* burning off, despite what general information says the average person "should" burn doing a given activity. Medication, hormonal issues, stress, thyroid problems, etc can all totally mess you up and your number won't necessarily line up with the norm.

I agree that "burn more than you eat" is useless advice for people with certain medical conditions. If because of a medical condition, you don't "burn", then you will store fat even on very restricted calories. So telling such people to eat less than they burn is virtually meaningless. How are they supposed to achieve it when most of what they eat is stored as fat and not utilized? In the meantime, they have no energy and feel like they are starving because they can't utilize those calories properly.
    Admittedly, this may be rare and possibly not applicable to the OP, but facts should be acknowledged instead of repeatedly squawking "CICO, CICO" as the ultimate word in weight-loss advice. The CO side of the equation is widely variable for different people.

You are not going to store fat if you eat less than you burn. Concept is still the same, the equation just is altered.

You are not going to magically store fat if you eat in a deficit.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

These people are adults. If you have a medical condition: GET THEE TO A DOCTOR. Research the hell out of your condition and yes figure out how to lose weight. Because much as you might like it, CICO does not cease to apply. Way too many testimonies have come back from people saying they blamed their lack of weight loss on a medical condition, and when they took a closer look, well. We would be doing people a disservice if we just told them to roll over and die just because they have a "medical condition". They still need to put in the work, whatever that may entail. And it's still very possible to lose weight and not necessarily by eating just 800 calories a day either

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

These people are adults. If you have a medical condition: GET THEE TO A DOCTOR. Research the hell out of your condition and yes figure out how to lose weight. Because much as you might like it, CICO does not cease to apply. Way too many testimonies have come back from people saying they blamed their lack of weight loss on a medical condition, and when they took a closer look, well. We would be doing people a disservice if we just told them to roll over and die just because they have a "medical condition". They still need to put in the work, whatever that may entail. And it's still very possible to lose weight and not necessarily by eating just 800 calories a day either

Preach

This discussion has been closed.