I am never hungry I have to force myself to eat and I just gain gain gain weight

Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »

I've taken every AD on the market, as well. I was 95 lbs when I started the meds. Prior to starting them, I couldn't gain a pound no matter how hard I tried. After gaining the initial 20 lbs, I saw a dietitian who put me on a restrictive diet and I followed it to a T. I was a competitive gymnast and cheerleader, training 3 hours a day, 5 times a week. I wasn't eating more or moving less. In fact, I was eating less and still as active as I was before I started the meds. Antidepressants can directly cause metabolic disorders, hence my situation. Not only did I develop insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia, I have a medically low RMR now on top of it.

Science is constantly evolving. This is a field in particular that is not well understood and more research needs to be conducted to figure out why people gain massive amounts of weight on AD's when they are not eating more calories. Hopefully some day, a genius will figure it out so more people don't have to suffer.

Edited to fix grammar.

I have never had anything like that happen to me on anti depressants. I've gained weight on them, but I know I was eating more. I was also very thin when I was younger (underweight actually), but as I got older I was eating more and moving less so I gained weight. I am now 63 lbs heavier than I was when I was 18, but I don't blame the anti depressants at all. I blame myself.

Well, since you were eating more and moving less, it was your fault..
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    gorett wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    First use the food diary and record everything you do eat. Make sure to use a scale and weigh everything to make sure it is acurate. Eat as you normally do and see how many calories you're actually consuming. Often times we eat more than we think. Or our food choices are so bad we are starving our body nutritionally speaking with sugar foods with no substanance.

There is nothing wrong with sugar.

http://www.businessinsider.com/effects-of-eating-too-much-sugar-2014-3

OMG every single item on their list has a disclaimer like "studies have shown this may not be true" or "evidence is needed before drawing any conclusions".
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    First use the food diary and record everything you do eat. Make sure to use a scale and weigh everything to make sure it is acurate. Eat as you normally do and see how many calories you're actually consuming. Often times we eat more than we think. Or our food choices are so bad we are starving our body nutritionally speaking with sugar foods with no substanance.

I'm not reading this because I can tell it's fear mongering broscience crap. There's nothing wrong with sugar.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    If you believe all of the "drug/medication" makes me store fat/gain weight theories than you all do realize that this drug/medication that makes you store fat, solves the world hunger, right?

Wrong because not all medications affect each person the same way.

So why not try it out on all the hungry little children??? and see who is affected by it and gain some weight?

Its *kitten* sorry

You gain weight when you consume to much calories!!

Because putting children on medications that have dangerous side effects and aren't absolutely necessary is irresponsible :)

More irresponsible than letting them starve to death when a simple pill could make them gain weight without having to eat food? I can't imagine that's the case.

No where did anyone say without having to eat food.

You cannot gain weight while eating at a significant deficit. OP isn't just at a minor deficit, if she is truly only eating 300 calories she is at a major deficit. She is supposedly eating far less than her body needs just to perform vital functions. Her body is getting the fuel to perform those functions somewhere, otherwise she would be dead. So you're saying that her body might not only be getting that energy from thin air, but is also continuing to increase her fat stores when she isn't even eating enough calories to fuel her body! Aside from a 45lb tumor, this equation is not possible! You can continue to say what happened to you all you want, but it is all hearsay and you also never said you were eating 300 calories a day while gaining continuously so your situation is clearly not the same as hers anyway.

Medications can alter the CO portion of CICO, but they aren't going to make the body able to gain weight eating 300 calories per day. Sorry, it is not possible.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Most of those sources are out-of-date.
  • forgtmenot
    Options
    If you believe all of the "drug/medication" makes me store fat/gain weight theories than you all do realize that this drug/medication that makes you store fat, solves the world hunger, right?

So why not try it out on all the hungry little children??? and see who is affected by it and gain some weight?

Its *kitten* sorry

Because putting children on medications that have dangerous side effects and aren't absolutely necessary is irresponsible :)

And clearly only children are starving right? Wrong!
  • forgtmenot
    Options

I've taken every AD on the market, as well. I was 95 lbs when I started the meds. Prior to starting them, I couldn't gain a pound no matter how hard I tried. After gaining the initial 20 lbs, I saw a dietitian who put me on a restrictive diet and I followed it to a T. I was a competitive gymnast and cheerleader, training 3 hours a day, 5 times a week. I wasn't eating more or moving less. In fact, I was eating less and still as active as I was before I started the meds. Antidepressants can directly cause metabolic disorders, hence my situation. Not only did I develop insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia, I have a medically low RMR now on top of it.

Science is constantly evolving. This is a field in particular that is not well understood and more research needs to be conducted to figure out why people gain massive amounts of weight on AD's when they are not eating more calories. Hopefully some day, a genius will figure it out so more people don't have to suffer.

Edited to fix grammar.

I have never had anything like that happen to me on anti depressants. I've gained weight on them, but I know I was eating more. I was also very thin when I was younger (underweight actually), but as I got older I was eating more and moving less so I gained weight. I am now 63 lbs heavier than I was when I was 18, but I don't blame the anti depressants at all. I blame myself.

That's exactly what I just said...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

There is a lot wrong with sugar and how it spikes insulin levels and can cause many problems with our metabolisms. Do a little research. Sugar is the enemy in weight loss. We need some but not the amount most people actually eat.

LOL.....I lost 120 pounds eating sugary things!! A medical miracle!!!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Its *kitten* sorry

More irresponsible than letting them starve to death when a simple pill could make them gain weight without having to eat food? I can't imagine that's the case.

No where did anyone say without having to eat food.

You cannot gain weight while eating at a significant deficit. OP isn't just at a minor deficit, if she is truly only eating 300 calories she is at a major deficit. She is supposedly eating far less than her body needs just to perform vital functions. Her body is getting the fuel to perform those functions somewhere, otherwise she would be dead. So you're saying that her body might not only be getting that energy from thin air, but is also continuing to increase her fat stores when she isn't even eating enough calories to fuel her body! Aside from a tumor, this is not possible! You can continue to say what happened to you all you want, but it is all hearsay and you also never said you were eating 300 calories a day while gaining continuously so your situation is clearly not the same as hers anyway.

Medications can alter the CO portion of CICO, but they aren't going to make the body able to gain weight eating 300 calories per day. Sorry, it is not possible.

My situation and OP's is entirely different. I was weighing my food and logging daily. I knew EXACTLY how many calories I was consuming.

OP doesn't do either and doesn't know how many calories she is consuming. She is roughly estimating and is clearly way off base. She also said she drinks most of her calories which leads me to believe she may have an alcohol problem. But since she hasn't come back, we will never know. And quite frankly, it doesn't matter since OP doesn't seem willing to log her food daily or use a food scale.

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

There is a lot wrong with sugar and how it spikes insulin levels and can cause many problems with our metabolisms. Do a little research. Sugar is the enemy in weight loss. We need some but not the amount most people actually eat.

And that's Bingo!

Gaining weight without eating
    Disappearing OP
    White Knights aplenty
    Mysterious medical condition
    Wild misunderstandings of basic science
    Sugar is evil

If we get in a clean eating debate, this thread will have everything.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Edited to fix grammar.

That's exactly what I just said...

Oh no she's constrasting you with herself, you see, since she was eating LESS and moving MORE and magically gaining weight by creating fat out of thin air and is therefore in no way personally responsible for anything.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Its *kitten* sorry

We were specifically talking about children, in case you missed that memo. I work and do research in the field of public health; I'm well aware that children aren't the only ones starving.
  • mjffey
    mjffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ok, Going to get slashed probably, but log everything you do eat. YOU MIGHT EAT NOT ENOUGH!!!!!! It's not as easy as "you're overweight, so you eat to much". If it was that easy everybody would be slim. You might not get the right amount of nutrients and carbs/protein combination.If you don't fuel your body, it will go into survival mode and won't burn anything. The result is you will gain weight. Even some sports can get your body into survival mode and produce a hormone that will store fat. You will have to make sure that you eat. It doesn't have to be three times a day, it might be 6 times small portions. Just record everything and after a few weeks do a check and see what you eat and have a look at the nutrients and macros. Good luck.
  • forgtmenot
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

And that's Bingo!

Disappearing OP
    White Knights aplenty
    Sugar is evil

Right? This thread is the most epic thread of myths I think I've ever seen on mfp.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    mjffey wrote: »
    Ok, Going to get slashed probably, but log everything you do eat. YOU MIGHT EAT NOT ENOUGH!!!!!! It's not as easy as "you're overweight, so you eat to much". If it was that easy everybody would be slim. You might not get the right amount of nutrients and carbs/protein combination.If you don't fuel your body, it will go into survival mode and won't burn anything. The result is you will gain weight. Even some sports can get your body into survival mode and produce a hormone that will store fat. You will have to make sure that you eat. It doesn't have to be three times a day, it might be 6 times small portions. Just record everything and after a few weeks do a check and see what you eat and have a look at the nutrients and macros. Good luck.

If this were true, we wouldn't have millions of people in underdeveloped countries who are significantly underweight.
  • forgtmenot
    Options

Its *kitten* sorry

We were specifically talking about children, in case you missed that memo. I work and do research in the field of public health; I'm well aware that children aren't the only ones starving.

So why can't the starving adults be given the magic weight gain pills then?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Its *kitten* sorry

So why can't the starving adults be given the magic weight gain pills then?

Because:
    1) It would not have the same effect on each person.
    2) The same dangerous side effects still apply to adults.
    3) It is a waste of money.
    4) It is time consuming.
    5) Providing them with actual food is effective.
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This thread...where to start?
    • Great monday morning fodder
    • I developed a headache somewhere between the first few posts and now
    • There was a great deal of sound advice repeated over and over and over
    • Medical conditions were disclosed, finally
    • Mean thread is mean
    • Thread has become a fascinating train wreck for OP but a worthwhile read for bystanders, both for entertainment and info.

And for my closing thought, I leave you all with this...

tl4vqzg1qlcz.jpg

I would just like to boost this... because wow. No wonder the OP disappeared haha...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

And that's Bingo!

Disappearing OP
    White Knights aplenty
    Sugar is evil

You forgot starvation mode... (to be fair I think it was mentioned next page after you posted this but now we can add that to the list).

I would also add the qualifier of First Defensive then Disappearing OP.

This discussion has been closed.