Ayurvedic nutrition for weight loss (and general sanity)

Options

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    there is a reason it's called "practicing" medicine.

Only God that's hilarious. I think I have to follow up the 'do you even science' with 'do you even English?'

what does
    "Only God that's hilarious" mean?

do YOU English?

my point was that sometimes western drs dont know everything and this ayurveda information has been a breath of fresh air to me.

Haha, ironic autocorrect typo (obviously I typo-ed ohmy which was autocorrected to only)

Yep, all kinds of Drs can be wrong, I agree. If that's what you meant, then just say that. It's not called practicing medicine for that reason though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Some need faith to stick to their calories

Others need science and logic to stick to their calories

Some need a little of both

Doesn't really matter ...we are not that complex biological entities that we need additional rules other than CI<CO for scale weight loss ...it is the strength of our psyche that makes the journey work for us or not ... If that strength comes from a belief in winged, rainbow-furred, unicorn kittens and it doesn't harm others then fine by me. So long as you don't try to convince others that without this they cannot lose weight or be healthy doing it.

If you can easily spare the money and it makes you commit then that's fine by everyone ...I spend money weekly on a PT who I don't need for weight loss or even fitness gains but I enjoy it, it reinforces my commitment and I can afford it ...I don't come on here and say get a PT it's the only way to succeed

I would like a winged, rainbow-furred, unicorn kitten though...if only to confuse the feck out of dog :bigsmile:
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    rkk1 wrote: »
    I am deeply interested in Ayurvedic medicine, and have seen a practitioner face-to-face. It's an incredibly interesting science. There are Ayurvedic doctors in India who go through over 5 years of medical school to be trained in it. Even though I have personally trained in western medicine, I have presented on alternative medicine topics, and many of the herbs recommended in Ayurveda have evidence-basis. I think you should give the diet a try. You won't likely get much support from this forum, as most people here are completely ignorant about Ayurveda with little personal experience and probably haven't done much review of the literature either, but I don't think that should deter you. You can give it a shot, and if it works for you, great.... if not, then not much lost.

I recently started seeing a new doctor. From what I recall, he's ivy-league educated (I've only been in his office once, I just seem to remember his degree was ivy) and he also advises on ayurvedic principles (or whatever it's called, ayurvedic medicine? I don't know. I've eaten ayurvedic food at a restaurant here, but not done the medicine/healing bit). He does not make that a part of his routine practice, but any patient who would like advisement in it can ask. I thought it was pretty interesting that he does so.

Anyway, I think healing comes in many forms, and food can be healing in a sense. While OP initially said something about ayurvedic food and weight loss (and her title says weight loss), I think she later clarified that she understands it's CICO, she's just looking at ayruvedic food principles as a way to help her with how she feels physically, and maybe to see if it will help her with intuitive eating? OP, nothing wrong with experimenting and experiencing things, so long as it's mostly safe.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of Jewish doctors. Most of them don't advise patients to eat kosher in order to be healthy, though. Even if they themselves keep kosher for religious reasons.

It's fine to have faith or beliefs. Just, let's not tangle them up with science, is all.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    "Ayurveda is a 5,000-year-old system of natural healing that has its origins in the Vedic culture of India. Although suppressed during years of foreign occupation, Ayurveda has been enjoying a major resurgence in both its native land and throughout the world."

Predates Dr. Oz by quite a bit.

Slavery is many thousands of years old.

Must be good, by ^that logic. :neutral:
  • margaretlb4
    margaretlb4 Posts: 114 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    I am deeply interested in Ayurvedic medicine, and have seen a practitioner face-to-face. It's an incredibly interesting science. There are Ayurvedic doctors in India who go through over 5 years of medical school to be trained in it. Even though I have personally trained in western medicine, I have presented on alternative medicine topics, and many of the herbs recommended in Ayurveda have evidence-basis. I think you should give the diet a try. You won't likely get much support from this forum, as most people here are completely ignorant about Ayurveda with little personal experience and probably haven't done much review of the literature either, but I don't think that should deter you. You can give it a shot, and if it works for you, great.... if not, then not much lost.

I recently started seeing a new doctor. From what I recall, he's ivy-league educated (I've only been in his office once, I just seem to remember his degree was ivy) and he also advises on ayurvedic principles (or whatever it's called, ayurvedic medicine? I don't know. I've eaten ayurvedic food at a restaurant here, but not done the medicine/healing bit). He does not make that a part of his routine practice, but any patient who would like advisement in it can ask. I thought it was pretty interesting that he does so.

Anyway, I think healing comes in many forms, and food can be healing in a sense. While OP initially said something about ayurvedic food and weight loss (and her title says weight loss), I think she later clarified that she understands it's CICO, she's just looking at ayruvedic food principles as a way to help her with how she feels physically, and maybe to see if it will help her with intuitive eating? OP, nothing wrong with experimenting and experiencing things, so long as it's mostly safe.

Just to clarify my original post since alot of people who have commented since haven't (understandably) had time to read the whole thing.

1) I was enthusiastic about exploring ayurveda bc it seems to make sense for my body and thought it was something worth exploring and sharing. Though this was not in the original post but in the following thread I was a competitive swimmer for years and worked with nutritionists that worked with the teams I was on, so I know something or another about nutrition and what works for my body. I'm not trying to push this on anyone else, was just posting my questions and thoughts. I don't think anyone on this thread (and I've read all of it) is trying to push some kind of ayurvedic faith or belief system on anyone. I dislike anything like that, I'm just getting curious about what works for my body.

2) I have digestive issues from a very stressful job, and I'm interested in ayurveda because of this. I have about seven pounds left to lose and I've been at that plateau (Around 5-10 pounds to lose) for awhile, and thought either carb cycling or some kind of lifestyle change (in this case some ayurvedic principles including slowing down my lifestyle) might be useful to get the last few pounds off. I'm fit already, and this last bit is the hardest, it seems for me.

3) I totally get CICO, and i never even brought this up but some other folks did. I know that to loose weight you have to be at a calorie deficit, but I just don't think that nothing else contributes to weight loss. High glycemic index foods for me make it harder to lose, whole foods make it easier. Ayurvedic principles are all about whole foods. And I like trying new recipes.

Hope that is helpful. Thanks for everyone who commented, this has been an interesting thread!

Margaret

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I'm talking about tone. It's not how I like to treat people, even when i don't agree with them. There's a nicer way to say things.

I also think that all calories are not created equal. 500 calories of kool aid do not make your stomach feel the same as 500 calories of healthier things.

Agreed and agreed. But there are quite a few people here who think all calories are created equal, so expect a lot of push back.

No. Just stop. A calorie is not a measure of the nutrient content of food.

A calorie is the measure of the energy it provides you with.

A unit of energy is a unit of energy.

The nutrition various foods provide? No one argues they are the same.

But people who state "all calories are not the same"? Are simply stating something false.

Words have meaning. If you mean that certain foods are more nutritious than others, then say THAT.

veganbaum wrote: »

I am going on 70 and for the last 40 years I have lived in 16 different non-European/non American countries because of my work ( Humanitarian Aid ). I have never been obese until in my late 50's, but have been several times overweight and needed to lose anywhere from 5-15 kilos ( 11- 35 pounds ). I have found that weight loss was easier for me in some countries than in others.
    Originally I am from Germany where when I was younger we all ate meat and potatoes. I found that eating 1500 calories of that diet caused me to lose weight slower than for example 1500 calories of the typical Japanese diet.
    I believe in CICO, but still always wondered why that was and still is.
    I now live in Mexico and if I want to lose weight at more than my .5 pound a week rate, I eat Asian or Mediterranian food ( cooked according to some of the Ayurvedic principles ) Maybe it is psychological, who knows , but it helps me to lose and feel fine with my diet, which is a great help in sustainability.

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I'm talking about tone. It's not how I like to treat people, even when i don't agree with them. There's a nicer way to say things.

I also think that all calories are not created equal. 500 calories of kool aid do not make your stomach feel the same as 500 calories of healthier things.

Agreed and agreed. But there are quite a few people here who think all calories are created equal, so expect a lot of push back.

No. Just stop. A calorie is not a measure of the nutrient content of food.

A calorie is the measure of the energy it provides you with.

A unit of energy is a unit of energy.

The nutrition various foods provide? No one argues they are the same.

But people who state "all calories are not the same"? Are simply stating something false.

Words have meaning. If you mean that certain foods are more nutritious than others, then say THAT.

Can I give you a tip of the hat and a hearty handshake for that post? I cringe every time someone chimes "Calories are not created equal". Yes, they are! They are a measurement unit created by people, they are equal *by design*!

Nutrition is not equal, nobody argues with that. But if there was any real evidence for doshas and humans could be separated medically and nutritionally in just three types, scientific medicine would celebrate and totally accept that, they would throw a banquet, and some researchers would be the happy recipients of a Nobel prize for it by now.

While there may be a grain of truth and useful practice in ancient medicine teachings, these were essentially ancient peoples' attempts to rationalize the few true things they found out about health through a lot of imagination, conceptualization and symbolism so it fitted with their general worldview at the time, i.e. They mixed one part practical knowledge with nine parts BS. Science is actively looking into many of those, a lot of our medicines are derived from medicinal plants people used for ages, it's not like there is that great big conspiracy against ancient knowledge. It's just that so little of ancient knowledge *is* knowledge and so much is fiction. You don't have to swallow it hook, line and sinker...
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

It's fine to have faith or beliefs. Just, let's not tangle them up with science, is all.

This, so much this. It gives so concisely what I was trying to express in my last paragraph above.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    "Ayurvedic "
    That mean's it is woo, and even worse, it is cultural appropriation woo. "Oh, silly white people, listen to the wisdom of our Indian ancestors, they're so wise because they were from long ago and Indian."

Funny guy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    There were a number of people on the first page who made statements along the lines of "Just eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight." That's what I'm objecting to - that good or bad nutrition has no impact on weight loss. This is what I mean by "calories are not created equal" - while 100 calories of Oreos has the same potential for energy as 100 calories of broccoli, when burned in the human body (as opposed to in a lab) they do not have equal effects.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Doesn't really matter ...we are not that complex biological entities that we need additional rules other than CI<CO for scale weight loss ...it is the strength of our psyche that makes the journey work for us or not ... If that strength comes from a belief in winged, rainbow-furred, unicorn kittens and it doesn't harm others then fine by me. So long as you don't try to convince others that without this they cannot lose weight or be healthy doing it.

If you can easily spare the money and it makes you commit then that's fine by everyone ...I spend money weekly on a PT who I don't need for weight loss or even fitness gains but I enjoy it, it reinforces my commitment and I can afford it ...I don't come on here and say get a PT it's the only way to succeed

Right, and neither did the OP. She said "Has anyone else worked with ayurvedic principles for weightloss?"
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Margaret - I didn't get the impression that any of the people crying "Woo!" know anything about Ayerveda other than what they just now gleaned from a quick Google, so factor that in to the weight you give their responses.

And yet this is the hive the op is seeking advice from.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    She said "Has anyone else worked with ayurvedic principles for weightloss?"
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    There were a number of people on the first page who made statements along the lines of "Just eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight." That's what I'm objecting to - that good or bad nutrition has no impact on weight loss. This is what I mean by "calories are not created equal" - while 100 calories of Oreos has the same potential for energy as 100 calories of broccoli, when burned in the human body (as opposed to in a lab) they do not have equal effects.

Then be more precise in what you say. "Calories are not created equal" is media-speak, an attempt to get clicks on a web site or magazine sales. It's not a statement with factual support, and it NEVER says what the article it usually headlines goes on to elaborate.

There are other such phrases, like "empty calories" (even "junk" foods have nutrients).

It's one thing for sensationalist-seeking media types to say these things, but on a site like this where knowledge means a better chance of success?

I don't find it very helpful.

• kshama2001
    Options
    I never say "Calories are not created equal" and stop ;)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Try replacing it with "foods are not created equal".

Saying "calories are not created equal is just wrong."

A calorie is a calorie.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Right, and neither did the OP. She said "Has anyone else worked with ayurvedic principles for weightloss?"

Exactly where did I imply that she said anything else?

Look to your own inferences

For example I read that line as snark which is totally on me, if it was just to move the conversation along then I have completely misinterpreted your motives in quoting me