Ayurvedic nutrition for weight loss (and general sanity)

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My Mum used to brew a pitta tea in the summer (Virginia July=pantpantpantpant) that was supposed to be cooling, didn't taste like much but I was totally impressed by how much it cooled my whole body down... It was like A/C in a glass. She got into Ayruvedic stuff for a awhile. I think the is some value there, many herbs have some value. If it gets you doing yoga and eating healthy then wonderful. My personal opinion: Yoga is the fountain of youth.

Hey, that might be the thing to help my hot flashes! :D
  • margaretlb4
    margaretlb4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yeah my mom and my dad at 71 and 81 respectively both do yoga every day...I don't do it quite that much but I do think it's pretty incredible.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thank you MFP, for reminding me that people are self righteous and close-minded.

I told my fiance that I was surprised at how the tone here is often one of a political discussion board, rather than the positive tone I was expecting. He said people get attached to their beliefs about food just like they do their political beliefs.

However, on this discussion board, the rules are "Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others" so feel free to Flag > Report something you think a moderator should review for breaking those rules.

Love you and your bf analysis of why people are so nasty on MFP!

Nobody is being nasty in this thread.

Nobody's attacking anyone.

Challenging statements is not attacking people.

Debunking bunk is kind and nice, if anything.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    My Mum used to brew a pitta tea in the summer (Virginia July=pantpantpantpant) that was supposed to be cooling, didn't taste like much but I was totally impressed by how much it cooled my whole body down... It was like A/C in a glass. She got into Ayruvedic stuff for a awhile. I think the is some value there, many herbs have some value. If it gets you doing yoga and eating healthy then wonderful. My personal opinion: Yoga is the fountain of youth.

Recipe me, please!

• kshama2001
    Options
    I was pinching (pruning) my bee balm yesterday and was wondering if Ayurveda has any uses for that. It's in the mint family. I also have spearmint and peppermint.

It's been a while, but I believe I am mostly Pitta dosha.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Yeah my mom and my dad at 71 and 81 respectively both do yoga every day...I don't do it quite that much but I do think it's pretty incredible.

My mom is 77 and regularly does a balancing pose I find challenging. To get myself through it, I use a "my 77 year old mother does this" mantra.

• Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Make sure whatever your doing, you can maintain it for life. Otherwise, it just becomes another fad diet. The simplicity of CICO is a Godsend.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It lost me when it said I could not have banana with my yogurt.

http://www.ayurvedicyogi.com/recipes/
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Noooooo.....no bananers. Nope. :D

P.S. I had one on my oatmeal this morning. I don't think this diet allows oatmeal either.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Jackie9950 wrote: »
    Make sure whatever your doing, you can maintain it for life. Otherwise, it just becomes another fad diet. The simplicity of CICO is a Godsend.

Best post yet!

smiley-face-thumbs-up-Smiley-face-with-thumbs-up.jpg
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    In because why not.

1). According to this I should stick to dry foods. Can I eat 4200 calories of rice, plain pasta, and chips a days, and lose weight and be "healthy" because the Egyptians or whoever said it was okay a million years ago?

2) I'll sign up for this plan, but only if I have the option where I can sign others up under me, and receive a potions of their hundred buck sign up fee gimmick. I might even throw in an ItWorks wrap and some garcinja Cambodia.

No, I didn't research this "diet", no I didn't read the entire thread. I ain't gotta. Know what it says and where it's going. Lol.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Actually here's one that came up on a google search. Check out the source:

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/emptycalorie-foods-vs-nutrientdense-foods-1350.html

that's great about your weight loss. Believe me I eat my fair share of ice cream. I just don't feel as good when I eat alot of it.

That's an article which isn't a study AND it talks about eating foods in excess of energy demand. It's not talking about eating the same number of calories in an energy deficit.

There is a slight difference in the thermic effect of ice cream vs. kale, so your body might net slightly less calories from the kale than the ice cream (we're talking maybe 10 calories or so if that)... BUT... having said that, one needs to consider context and dosage. In the context of an overall nutrient dense diet, 100 calories of ice cream is not going to derail someone's weight loss efforts. Ice cream still supplies protein and fat. I often use a small serving of gelato to up my fat intake.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/emptycalorie-foods-vs-nutrientdense-foods-1350.html

that's great about your weight loss. Believe me I eat my fair share of ice cream. I just don't feel as good when I eat alot of it.

That article just said -exactly- what I said to you. Fruits and veggies help us feel full, eating only candy bars is a bad idea because of how it makes you feel. But it does not change the FACT that a measure of energy does NOT change.

The bold sentence above is a generalization and in no way applies to every person. A candy bar can make someone feels as full or more full than an apple or a bowl of spinach. Really, it depends on the person.

But, you are right, a unit of energy is just that and does not distinguish between food type.

I would pay to meet someone who could sustain themselves on candy bars and multivitamins without feeling like crap. Agreed about the generalization.

I once knew someone who would go on a short term diet (just to lose a couple of pounds) eating 4 chocolate bars a day. She seemed to do fine.

I think a person would live longer on a diet of chocolate bars than just kale if we are talking about extremes though.

Were they really young? I can't imagine being able to do that any other time in life!

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Twinkie diet man
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

P.S. I had one on my oatmeal this morning. I don't think this diet allows oatmeal either.

No... oatmeal????? Oh... just no. How could oatmeal be bad? It's my favorite comfort food.

• hollyrayburn
    Options

That article just said -exactly- what I said to you. Fruits and veggies help us feel full, eating only candy bars is a bad idea because of how it makes you feel. But it does not change the FACT that a measure of energy does NOT change.

The bold sentence above is a generalization and in no way applies to every person. A candy bar can make someone feels as full or more full than an apple or a bowl of spinach. Really, it depends on the person.

But, you are right, a unit of energy is just that and does not distinguish between food type.

I would pay to meet someone who could sustain themselves on candy bars and multivitamins without feeling like crap. Agreed about the generalization.

I once knew someone who would go on a short term diet (just to lose a couple of pounds) eating 4 chocolate bars a day. She seemed to do fine.

I think a person would live longer on a diet of chocolate bars than just kale if we are talking about extremes though.

Were they really young? I can't imagine being able to do that any other time in life!

Lol, 4 chocolate bars? That was a nice SNACK back in the olden days. :wink:
  • hollyrayburn
    Options

No... oatmeal????? Oh... just no. How could oatmeal be bad? It's my favorite comfort food.

No oatmeal? What will I mix in my yogurt?

Wait, don't tell me they "banned" that food too!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Snickers bars baby. All the way. I used to get off the el and stop at the newsstand and get one every night for dinner before hopping on the bus. Then I'd go home and eat a bowl of cereal.

I think I've improved on nutrition since I was single.

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm talking about tone. It's not how I like to treat people, even when i don't agree with them. There's a nicer way to say things.

I also think that all calories are not created equal. 500 calories of kool aid do not make your stomach feel the same as 500 calories of healthier things.

Agreed and agreed. But there are quite a few people here who think all calories are created equal, so expect a lot of push back.

A calorie is a unit of energy. Of course all calories are created equal. Nutrition and satiation differ. People seem to confuse them with what a calorie is.

Thing is no they're not. A calorie is how much energy is it takes it raise the temperature of 1 kg of water by 1 degrees. It's seriously obvious to me that that's not how the human works. So while it's a great guide it's not the be all and end all of weight loss/gain.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Snickers bars baby. All the way. I used to get off the el and stop at the newsstand and get one every night for dinner before hopping on the bus. Then I'd go home and eat a bowl of cereal.

I think I've improved on nutrition since I was single.

I remember those days too. Nutrition is a whole lot important to me now.