Ayurvedic nutrition for weight loss (and general sanity)

Options

Replies

• miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Overweight is often secondary to a more serious pathology, usually a chronic issue. If you can address and remedy the primary cause, the overweight will invariably be resolved. That is the beauty of a holistic approach like aryuveda; it gets to the root of the problem, rather than chasing around symptoms.
    I also want to add to my initial statement. It is possible to be in optimum health and overweight. It is just often a visual indicator of an underlying problem.

You can't be overweight without eating too much.

Even if you have underlying issues, you still have to correct the fact that you simply shovel too much food into your face.

Please tell me how herbs correct the underlying issues.

Herbs contain a slurry of chemicals, some of which have been identified by modern science as the "active constituents". The synergy of all the constituents, known active and unknown give the plants efficacy in the appropriate applications. It is very hit or miss to find the appropriate herbs by looking up your symptoms on the Internet. A capable practitioner would provide a comprehensive intake of 1-1.5 hours and after collecting the needed data on the client they would know which herbs, herbal preparation, and dosage to give. A follow-up would be necessary to *kitten* how the herbs are working and make needed adjustments to the formula and dosage. The herbal formula is part of a wholistic plan, which addresses diet and lifestyle. The plan is designed after getting the clients story (subjective), objective(observation), and gathering an assessment (where the imbalances are identified based on subjective and objective.
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Overweight is often secondary to a more serious pathology, usually a chronic issue. If you can address and remedy the primary cause, the overweight will invariably be resolved. That is the beauty of a holistic approach like aryuveda; it gets to the root of the problem, rather than chasing around symptoms.
    I also want to add to my initial statement. It is possible to be in optimum health and overweight. It is just often a visual indicator of an underlying problem.

Even if you have underlying issues, you still have to correct the fact that you simply shovel too much food into your face.

Herbs help resolve imbalances in the body just as proper nutrition does, and even some pharmaceuticals.
    ^ yes, but why is someone getting hunger signals when they don't need any more food?

Hedonic hunger and true hunger are two different things. Obese people often confuse the two.

Often is the key word here, not always, certainly not. Many obese people experience true hunger and malnutrition. The set point theory and the discovery of leptin sheds a lot of light on this fact.

What are these "imbalances" of which you speak? And how are they identified and monitored

If they are an actual illness and herbs help to resolve them there would be documentable proof, safety studies and double blind testing and the herbs would become medicine

• miriamtob
    Options

Herbs help resolve imbalances in the body just as proper nutrition does, and even some pharmaceuticals.
    ^ yes, but why is someone getting hunger signals when they don't need any more food?

Hedonic hunger and true hunger are two different things. Obese people often confuse the two.

Often is the key word here, not always, certainly not. Many obese people experience true hunger and malnutrition. The set point theory and the discovery of leptin sheds a lot of light on this fact.

What are these "imbalances" of which you speak? And how are they identified and monitored

If they are an actual illness and herbs help to resolve them there would be documentable proof, safety studies and double blind testing and the herbs would become medicine

There is. They are.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Let's see if I'm following you in regards to hedonic hunger.

Herbs... will resolve an emotional issue, which is caused by an underlying physiological imbalance? Is this what you're asserting?

WRT to set point theory?

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/72/5/1088.short

http://www.fasebj.org/content/4/15/3310.full.pdf+html

Please cite some sources for herbs affecting an "imbalance" of leptin.

Your first study is almost 16 years old and doesn't disprove the set point theory. The second paper is really really old. All its references are from the 80s.

Well, here's a newer one. With a very thorough discussion of it. It uses "set point" to mean a body's "normal" healthy weight, the way they referred to the "set point" in the animals they first did the studies on.

It even addresses the leptin issue.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2990627/
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

This is not true. You can't be overfat without eating too much. But you could be overweight if a medical condition or medication causes severe inflammation or water retention.

And herbs will cure that?

I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility. I mean we are talking about an infinite number of hypthetical causes here.

The types of diseases that will cause enough water retention to throw a normal weight person into the category of being overweight (remember, I stated that you can't be overweight without eating too much, and you came in with ... but fluid retention from medical conditions!) are life-threatening.

Herbs could treat that?

• PeachyCarol
    Options

There is. They are.

Please post them. Burden of proof and all that.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

This is not true. You can't be overfat without eating too much. But you could be overweight if a medical condition or medication causes severe inflammation or water retention.

And herbs will cure that?

I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility. I mean we are talking about an infinite number of hypthetical causes here.

The types of diseases that will cause enough water retention to throw a normal weight person into the category of being overweight (remember, I stated that you can't be overweight without eating too much, and you came in with ... but fluid retention from medical conditions!) are life-threatening.

Herbs could treat that?

Possibly. I've seen honey cure infection serious enough to cause 15% increase in body weight.

But, I never said herbs could cure anything. I was just correcting your incorrect statement.
  • miriamtob
    Options

There is. They are.

Well, since this is an aryuvedic thread, let's look up elderberry, trifala, and ashwaganda.
    Studies exist and they look promising, plus these herbs have been used for 1000s of years and are still widely used today. As I said earlier, science is catching up.
    Elderberry Extract Study:
    http://imr.sagepub.com/content/32/2/132.long

Triphala Study:
    So many studies done on this ancient aryuvedic herbal formula:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=triphala
    Triphala Exhibits Anti-Arthritic Effect by Ameliorating Bone and Cartilage Degradation in Adjuvant-Induced Arthritic Rats
    Read More: http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/08820139.2015.1017047

Ashwaganda:
    So many studies have been done on this herb:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=ashwaganda
    Ashwaganda (withania somnifera)- a promising herb for neuroregenerative therapy for stroke
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4392656/

• miriamtob
    Options

Let's see if I'm following you in regards to hedonic hunger.

Herbs... will resolve an emotional issue, which is caused by an underlying physiological imbalance? Is this what you're asserting?

WRT to set point theory?

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/72/5/1088.short

http://www.fasebj.org/content/4/15/3310.full.pdf+html

Please cite some sources for herbs affecting an "imbalance" of leptin.

Your first study is almost 16 years old and doesn't disprove the set point theory. The second paper is really really old. All its references are from the 80s.

Well, here's a newer one. With a very thorough discussion of it. It uses "set point" to mean a body's "normal" healthy weight, the way they referred to the "set point" in the animals they first did the studies on.

It even addresses the leptin issue.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2990627/

It's a lovely paper and I'm glad it touches on the exciting new field of scientific study,epidemiology, however it is inconclusive.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Herbs contain a slurry of chemicals, some of which have been identified by modern science as the "active constituents". The synergy of all the constituents, known active and unknown give the plants efficacy in the appropriate applications. It is very hit or miss to find the appropriate herbs by looking up your symptoms on the Internet. A capable practitioner would provide a comprehensive intake of 1-1.5 hours and after collecting the needed data on the client they would know which herbs, herbal preparation, and dosage to give. A follow-up would be necessary to *kitten* how the herbs are working and make needed adjustments to the formula and dosage. The herbal formula is part of a wholistic plan, which addresses diet and lifestyle. The plan is designed after getting the clients story (subjective), objective(observation), and gathering an assessment (where the imbalances are identified based on subjective and objective.

What does this mean? This is what I'm interested in ...what are they identifying as the illness / ailment ...in order to diagnose for appropriate treatment. What are the imbalances that are being diagnosed and how?

• miriamtob
    Options
    Aryuveda, TCM (traditional Chinese medicine), Western herbalism, etc... You may think of these things as "alternative" medicine, but they are long held traditions, which have their own healing model, which differs from allopathic medicine (the modality encompassing the western diagnoses you are accustomed to hearing about: cancer, bronchitis, congestive heart failure, etc...). Other healing traditions do not use these diagnoses. If someone comes into the office with an allopathic diagnosis, this gets taken into consideration in the subjective, but the client is considered holistically (looking at all the bodily systems even if they initially came in for a skin rash). After the objective part of the intake, the assessment (differential diagnosis) is something very different, if you are not familiar with the healing modality. TCM uses yin and yang and assess the qi (vital energy) of different organ meridians. Aryuveda uses the Tri-dosha: kapha, Pitta, Vatta. It takes years of study to know how to do an accurate assessment, just like it takes an allopathic doctor years to learn how diagnose diseases. It takes years to learn the medicinal actions of so many herbs. My PCP is an MD and also an acupuncturist, so she has both modalities in her tool bag to finding the best remedies for my imbalances. Accurate assessments lead to successful treatments. Finding a skilled "alternative" practitioner could be an astute move, if your current model of care is not working.

What does this mean? This is what I'm interested in ...what are they identifying as the illness / ailment ...in order to diagnose for appropriate treatment. What are the imbalances that are being diagnosed and how?

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I had to stop at "sip lemon water throughout the day."

If I went any further, I'd probably go on a rampage.

Thank you MFP, for reminding me that people are self righteous and close-minded.

I hesitate to even bother writing anything but all calories are not created equal and there are plenty of things to do with digestion that aren't related to calories in and out.
    I agree with you
    carakirkey wrote: »
    I think there's quite a bit to Ayruvedic- certainly paying more attention to what your body needs and being mindful. Also that aryuvedic isn't just diet- but a lifestyle. One of its basic principals are doshas- dominate body types. Many that are overweight, or have had a hard time losing weight tend to be Kapha type. Recommended for that type to avoid rich, heavy foods and instead have light, dry foods (eg rice, quinoa, salads). Calorie and portion control are key for this type. Interestingly, breakfast is really important for the other 2 types (Vata, Pitta) but not for Kapha type as that can result in consuming too many calories in the day.
    OP - I'm interested in your program and the results you see from this.
    @margaretlb4
    Unfortunately I don't think you'll find many on the forums that are outspoken are very familiar with alternative medicine. So as you can see all sorts of posts will result from your inquiry.

I agree much with what the poster above shared... also would enjoy knowing how this is working for you as you continue on. :) Be Well!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

There is. They are.

Well, since this is an aryuvedic thread, let's look up elderberry, trifala, and ashwaganda.
    Studies exist and they look promising, plus these herbs have been used for 1000s of years and are still widely used today. As I said earlier, science is catching up.

Triphala Study:
    Triphala Exhibits Anti-Arthritic Effect by Ameliorating Bone and Cartilage Degradation in Adjuvant-Induced Arthritic Rats

Ashwaganda:
    Ashwaganda (withania somnifera)- a promising herb for neuroregenerative therapy for stroke

Okay, first, the fact that something is researched (you pointed out ALL the research on two of the herbs) is meaningless as far as proving it has any merit:

http://www.unm.edu/~gfmiller/cycle_effects_on_tips.pdf

We WERE discussing ayurvedic medicine and the way it "works". Not one of the studies you posted has anything to do with real life clinical trials in humans. The flu duration being shortened is not an "imbalance" in the body.

I do not dispute the fact that there are some herbs that work for as aids treating illness. Slippery elm bark is great for a sore throat, there's a nice tea I buy which has it in there and it's my favorite treatment for one.

But, that's not what we were talking about. This whole idea of the body being imbalanced is one that you'd need to show me... what's an imbalance? And how do the herbs balance it? Studies in humans to that effect, please.

• hyppygyrl
    hyppygyrl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe all of the negative comments. Also I watched a documentary called "Fed Up" and learned that a calorie is not just a calorie, it's all in how your body digests them. Anyway, if you feel this is helping (paying attention to your body is always a good thing if you ask me) then good for you. Hope it works for you, can't hurt anyway. Learning is never a waste.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    hyppygyrl wrote: »
    I cannot believe all of the negative comments. Also I watched a documentary called "Fed Up" and learned that a calorie is not just a calorie, it's all in how your body digests them. Anyway, if you feel this is helping (paying attention to your body is always a good thing if you ask me) then good for you. Hope it works for you, can't hurt anyway. Learning is never a waste.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg
  • miriamtob
    Options

There is. They are.

Triphala Study:

Ashwaganda:

Okay, first, the fact that something is researched (you pointed out ALL the research on two of the herbs) is meaningless as far as proving it has any merit:

We WERE discussing ayurvedic medicine and the way it "works". Not one of the studies you posted has anything to do with real life clinical trials in humans. The flu duration being shortened is not an "imbalance" in the body.

I do not dispute the fact that there are some herbs that work for as aids treating illness. Slippery elm bark is great for a sore throat, there's a nice tea I buy which has it in there and it's my favorite treatment for one.

But, that's not what we were talking about. This whole idea of the body being imbalanced is one that you'd need to show me... what's an imbalance? And how do the herbs balance it? Studies in humans to that effect, please.

Elderberry shortens the duration of the flu; flu and its accompanying symptoms throw the body out of balance. Ameliorating the symptoms by getting to the underlying cause brings the body closer to homeostasis. In aryuveda, you would not call it the flu, you'd call it Kapha Pitta because of all the phlem (Kapha) and the inflammation/fever (Pitta).
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

There is. They are.

Triphala Study:

Ashwaganda:

Elderberry shortens the duration of the flu; flu and its accompanying symptoms throw the body out of balance. Ameliorating the symptoms by getting to the underlying cause brings the body closer to homeostasis. In aryuveda, you would not call it the flu, you'd call it Kapha Pitta because of all the phlem (Kapha) and the inflammation/fever (Pitta).

The Woobecon, you've crossed it.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/beyond-the-flu-shot-a-closer-look-at-the-alternatives/

• errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, if all this 5000 year old "ancient wisdom" was effective and worked, why did we need to advance to western science based medicine? I mean why bother if we already had something that worked? And why is it that life spans didn't increase until science based medicine? Why not just stick with acupuncture, ayurvedic, blood letting and leaches? Honestly curious.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    Ok, your link says the studies on elderberry are promising and the flu shot does not convey 100% immunity. Woohoo.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    hyppygyrl wrote: »

fozzie-facepalm.gif