Ayurvedic nutrition for weight loss (and general sanity)

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Thank you MFP, for reminding me that people are self righteous and close-minded.

I told my fiance that I was surprised at how the tone here is often one of a political discussion board, rather than the positive tone I was expecting. He said people get attached to their beliefs about food just like they do their political beliefs.

However, on this discussion board, the rules are "Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others" so feel free to Flag > Report something you think a moderator should review for breaking those rules.
  • margaretlb4
    margaretlb4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Totally agree that some of the first article sounds like hooey. But I do like my nutritionist and so far what she has told me sounds reasonable.

This is the last graph of the 2nd article you sent me (and i'm not trying to treat cancer, just stop chronic stomach pain from stress from my job):

At its most basic level, ayurveda's emphasis on a balanced diet with exercise, such as yoga, could help prevent chronic diseases plaguing the United States. That's not too shabby. But caution is needed once you begin treating cancer and serious diseases based on the alignment of the moon in Aquarius.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I'm talking about tone. It's not how I like to treat people, even when i don't agree with them. There's a nicer way to say things.

I also think that all calories are not created equal. 500 calories of kool aid do not make your stomach feel the same as 500 calories of healthier things.

Agreed and agreed. But there are quite a few people here who think all calories are created equal, so expect a lot of push back.

• myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    "Ayurveda is a 5,000-year-old system of natural healing that has its origins in the Vedic culture of India. Although suppressed during years of foreign occupation, Ayurveda has been enjoying a major resurgence in both its native land and throughout the world."

Predates Dr. Oz by quite a bit.

But citrus fruits are from Australia and wouldn't have existed in India 5000 years ago so can you explain why they are recommended by the OPs guru?
  • myfelinepal
    Options
    I'm talking about tone. It's not how I like to treat people, even when i don't agree with them. There's a nicer way to say things.

I also think that all calories are not created equal. 500 calories of kool aid do not make your stomach feel the same as 500 calories of healthier things.

Agreed and agreed. But there are quite a few people here who think all calories are created equal, so expect a lot of push back.

A calorie is a unit of energy. Of course all calories are created equal. Nutrition and satiation differ. People seem to confuse them with what a calorie is.

I've decided that a pound isn't always a pound therefore I'm already at goal weight.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    History and Development of the Citrus Industry

...First Citrus Fruit to Reach Europe.—The citron (Citrus medica L.) was the first citrus fruit to come to the notice of Europeans and was for many years the only one known. It first attracted attention in Media, where it was then supposed to be indigenous. Apparently it soon spread into Persia, where it came to the attention of the Hebrews and the Greeks. Although it is not now considered to be indigenous to Media, the steps by which it was first brought there from its native habitat in India or Indo-China are not known.

...Orange Introduced into Australia in 1788.—Citrus was first planted in New South Wales by the colonists of the First Fleet under Captain Arthur Phillip, who sailed for Australia in 1787 with instructions to introduce plants and seeds at his discretion (Bowman, 1955). At Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where the expedition stopped for one month, the colonists purchased orange, lime, and lemon trees. On arrival at Port Jackson on January 26, 1788, the first work performed was the planting of the seeds and plants obtained in the voyage from England. According to Bowman (1955), oranges, limes and lemons were flourishing at the end of the first year of settlement.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    I had to stop at "sip lemon water throughout the day."

If I went any further, I'd probably go on a rampage.

Thank you MFP, for reminding me that people are self righteous and close-minded.

I hesitate to even bother writing anything but all calories are not created equal and there are plenty of things to do with digestion that aren't related to calories in and out.

Why even ask about it when it is evident you've already drunk the kool aid? Sorry..the lemon water?

Seriously. What they said has meaning. Doesn't mean they are self-righteous and close-minded. If anything, that's how you are coming off.

And you are right, I probably should have used "self-righteous and close-minded. That is stooping.

So, tone aside, calorie content is not related to how satiating or satisfying a particular food is. When fats and proteins are metabolized, the body might use some of the content for other processes than energy production (such as repairing cells, fat storage, creating enzymes, etc), but if you even try to estimate how much of each macronutrient is used for energy vs. other tasks you get so far down into the weeds it doesn't help.

In the aggregate, a calorie from fat or from protein or from carbohydrates is a good enough approximation of the energy your body derives. As for what foods make you feel better, it's all ultimately subjective. The placebo effect is very much operative in people saying they feel better when adopting a particular diet.

Ultimately, it is your time and money at stake. If you like the diet, it is not harmful to you, and you are ok with what you are paying for the service, that is your choice. But look at the actual content of what you are consuming: If you could get the same results for free by eating simply at the same level, is it worth the cost of the service?
  • myfelinepal
    Options
    History and Development of the Citrus Industry

...First Citrus Fruit to Reach Europe.—The citron (Citrus medica L.) was the first citrus fruit to come to the notice of Europeans and was for many years the only one known. It first attracted attention in Media, where it was then supposed to be indigenous. Apparently it soon spread into Persia, where it came to the attention of the Hebrews and the Greeks. Although it is not now considered to be indigenous to Media, the steps by which it was first brought there from its native habitat in India or Indo-China are not known.

...Orange Introduced into Australia in 1788.—Citrus was first planted in New South Wales by the colonists of the First Fleet under Captain Arthur Phillip, who sailed for Australia in 1787 with instructions to introduce plants and seeds at his discretion (Bowman, 1955). At Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where the expedition stopped for one month, the colonists purchased orange, lime, and lemon trees. On arrival at Port Jackson on January 26, 1788, the first work performed was the planting of the seeds and plants obtained in the voyage from England. According to Bowman (1955), oranges, limes and lemons were flourishing at the end of the first year of settlement.

Okay, you got me. I did too little research at 4am. But, the latest research suggests Australia as the origin if you search 'History, Global Distribution, and Nutritional Importance of Citrus Fruits'

However, I've never seen proof of lemons doing anything for hunger.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Well, it's past my bedtime, but I remember reading something about foods like lemons and mustard satisfying maybe a desire for fat? Will look for it in the AM. I think it was in one of the MFP emails.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    99 dollars? Nope!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    So it's an Indian holistic eating science that caters to and Indian version of somatotypes?

IMO, it's still just another way to make money off a "different" plan that still needs calorie deficit for weight loss to happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,438 Member
    Options
    Uh, all this lemon acid. I wonder what that does to ones teeth in the long run. After all, one should not brush the teeth at least two hours after eating anything acidic.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else worked with ayurvedic principles for weightloss? I am beginning to work with an ayurvedic nutritionist through an app called "Vida" - so far I'm really enjoying it. The main simple instruction she has given me is to think about ways to slow down in my life and also to sip lemon water throughout the day. She also has given me a digestive lassi recipe that i'm keen to try. And - and this is startling - she has looked at my diary for my last 8 or so pounds of weight loss and said that I might not be one of these people who DOESN'T need high protein for weight loss.

It also may depend on the week of my period. So this is interesting and without going nuts about it, I'm going to try and see what I should eat for the 1st through 4th weeks of my period (more or less protein that my body may crave...etc) and see what happens. Very curious to see if this helps. It sure makes sense when she talks about it, just paying attention intuitively to what your body wants....we'll see if it wants french fries.

That double negative is confusing the crap out of me. So do you or don't you need high protein?

Also no one needs high protein for weight loss - they just need a calorie deficit. High protein combined with resistance work can help maintain muscle mass so you lose more fat then muscle during your weight loss, and some people find it more satisfying.

I need to get in on this web consultancy game - $99 for some web chats, excellent.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    OP - how was your body type observed; ie: water, earth, fire, etc. i have been reading about it, i find it very interesting. i appreciate the info you provided. ignore the negativity. :smile:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    ignore the negativity. :smile:

You mean, ignore the facts?
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

NO, ignore people who are knocking what she is trying for herself. if this is working for her, then who is to say it's wrong for her? it might not work for anyone else but why give her a hard time about it? i can't ever understand why anyone knocks what other people do? she isn't forcing anyone else to participate!

• kshama2001
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes, I think if this jump-starts her weight loss and motivates her, it's $99 well spent. There are many paths up the mountain.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

What facts, exactly? The OP never said she didn't need a calorie deficit for weight loss. Has anyone provided any 'facts' showing this plan won't help with her physical problems or make getting to a deficit easier for her?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Are you paying to consult this service?

How did she determine your nutrient needs?

I am paying $99 for three months, once weekly facetime consultations for an hour (Through the site) and I text whenever I have questions and she sends me recs.

She determines my needs bc I answer a questionnare, discuss how things are going weekly and send her all my food logs. I was a competitive swimmer in college and after so have worked with nutritionists at a high level, and I'm impressed with her knowledge. Despite some of the folks who've posted on here, there's not much, um, "woo."

Since tone is very important to you, I'm going to do my best to say this in as nice of a tone as I can possibly muster.

Re: the bolded...really think this through rationally.

Do you really think someone can adequately determine your nutritional needs through a (sic) questionnare and weekly facetime chats?

Do you really think the person is motivated to help you, when her continued compensation (@ $33/month) is contingent upon you not meeting your goals?

I'm terribly sorry, but this is entirely "woo".