Ayurvedic nutrition for weight loss (and general sanity)

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    There were a number of people on the first page who made statements along the lines of "Just eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight." That's what I'm objecting to - that good or bad nutrition has no impact on weight loss. This is what I mean by "calories are not created equal" - while 100 calories of Oreos has the same potential for energy as 100 calories of broccoli, when burned in the human body (as opposed to in a lab) they do not have equal effects.

Good nutrition is, in my opinion, is great, but it really has nothing to do with weight loss. In other words, you can indeed eat equal calories from a diet of all wholesome foods OR processed foods and you will lose weight as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit. Your body is not going to differentiate and not allow you to lose weight just because you are not eating this special food-restricted diet.

Now, if I am nutritional value, today I am going to choose that cottage cheese mixed with blueberry yogurt topped with fresh raspberries over the Starbuck's flourless cookie. However, keep in mind, that might just be for today. Perhaps tomorrow I will be able to meet my nutritional goals and just have that cookie that love so much. The point is, you can meet your nutritional needs without cutting out foods you love. All it means is making sure you diet is comprised motly of nutritious foods (and some people might see nutritious foods in different ways, but for me that means veggies, fruit, dairy, oats, etc.) that fit YOU, then leave room for the treats.
  • SLLRunner
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Try replacing it with "foods are not created equal".

Saying "calories are not created equal is just wrong."

A calorie is a calorie.

Absolutely.

Weight loss = a calorie is a calorie.
    Nutrition = banana is different than a steak.

:D
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    There were a number of people on the first page who made statements along the lines of "Just eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight." That's what I'm objecting to - that good or bad nutrition has no impact on weight loss. This is what I mean by "calories are not created equal" - while 100 calories of Oreos has the same potential for energy as 100 calories of broccoli, when burned in the human body (as opposed to in a lab) they do not have equal effects.

Your objection is irrelevent to the science. Just because you feel different eating 100 calories of oreo doesn't mean a deficiet that includes oreos doesn't work. You could lose weight eating strictly candy bars (though NO ONE would tell you to do that) but you'd be hungry, tired, and not feel that great.

Deficit eating is NOT synonymous with healthful eating. It just helps you to feel full to include more fruits and veggies.
  • margaretlb4
    margaretlb4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure anyone is arguing this CICO stuff...at this point I'm unclear why it got brought up. It's obvious one feels differently if you eat 1500 calories of less nutritionally dense food (ie popcorn, candy bar and soda like I do sometime at the movies) vs 1500 calories of say salmon, brown rice, apples, salad, and some greens? And that food gets digested better and processed better. At least, when I wake up the next morning with a sugar hangover after the movies, that is what I think.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I'm not sure anyone is arguing this CICO stuff...at this point I'm unclear why it got brought up. It's obvious one feels differently if you eat 1500 calories of less nutritionally dense food (ie popcorn, candy bar and soda like I do sometime at the movies) vs 1500 calories of say salmon, brown rice, apples, salad, and some greens? And that food gets digested better and processed better. At least, when I wake up the next morning with a sugar hangover after the movies, that is what I think.

Because, you can eat all the healthy food you want and still not lose weight if you don't eat at a calorie deficit.

Calories and food type are not equal when it comes to weight loss.

If you wake up with a sugar hangover, you might have a medical issue. In that case, I suggest visiting your doctor. :)
  • margaretlb4
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Because, you can eat all the healthy food you want and still not lose weight if you don't eat at a calorie deficit.

If you wake up with a sugar hangover, you might have a medical issue. In that case, I suggest visiting your doctor. :)

Ha, yes well i feel like i have one sometime! :smiley:

No, I wasn't talking one vs. the other. I'm talking the same amount of calories.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Ha, yes well i feel like i have one sometime! :smiley:

No, I wasn't talking one vs. the other. I'm talking the same amount of calories.

Well, when it comes to weight loss, a calorie is a calorie. Your body won't be mad at you for eating 100 calories of ice cream instead of 100 calorie of kale, and it won't make you gain weight on the ice cream and lose weight on the kale. These foods are nutritionally different, but neither is a good or bad food. It's all about making choices that fit your calorie and nutrition goals, and those goals might be different for everyone.
  • margaretlb4
    edited May 2015
    Options

Well, when it comes to weight loss, a calorie is a calorie. Your body won't be mad at you for eating 100 calories of ice cream instead of 100 calorie of kale, and it won't make you gain weight on the ice cream and lose weight on the kale. These foods are nutritionally different, but neither is a good or bad food. It's all about making choices that fit your calorie and nutrition goals, and those goals might be different for everyone.

well that is where I definitely disagree. For me at least. And alot of science disagrees with that as well. But let's just agree to disagree.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I said: Well, when it comes to weight loss, a calorie is a calorie. Your body won't be mad at you for eating 100 calories of ice cream instead of 100 calorie of kale, and it won't make you gain weight on the ice cream and lose weight on the kale. These foods are nutritionally different, but neither is a good or bad food. It's all about making choices that fit your calorie and nutrition goals, and those goals might be different for everyone.

You said: well that is where I definitely disagree. For me at least. And alot of science disagrees with that as well. But let's just agree to disagree.
    Well, since you brought up science, you must know of some studies to back up your position?

My weight has never been affected from eating100 calories of ice cream instead of 100 calories of kale. :)

In fact, I lost 44 pounds eating whatever the heck I wanted, and I've been maintaining the same way for well over a year now. I feel grea! This never happened when I was paying attention to food type and not calories in/calorie out, and when I was gaining weight from eating a low fat, sugar free, no dairy diet.

• margaretlb4
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Actually here's one that came up on a google search. Check out the source:

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/emptycalorie-foods-vs-nutrientdense-foods-1350.html

that's great about your weight loss. Believe me I eat my fair share of ice cream. I just don't feel as good when I eat alot of it.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/emptycalorie-foods-vs-nutrientdense-foods-1350.html

that's great about your weight loss. Believe me I eat my fair share of ice cream. I just don't feel as good when I eat alot of it.

That's not a study, it's an article. :) But, thank you.

Of course--if you don't feel good eating a lot of ice cream, then you should moderate it to eat the amount where you do feel good. That's what diet and nutrition is all about, moderation and food choices. :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I don't think Ayurvedic techniques are the best method for weight loss or optimal nutrition. I looked into it when one of my friends was trying it, and I was like "well.... no." I feel like it has no more value than homeopathy and suchlike.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options

That article just said -exactly- what I said to you. Fruits and veggies help us feel full, eating only candy bars is a bad idea because of how it makes you feel. But it does not change the FACT that a measure of energy does NOT change.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

That article just said -exactly- what I said to you. Fruits and veggies help us feel full, eating only candy bars is a bad idea because of how it makes you feel. But it does not change the FACT that a measure of energy does NOT change.

The bold sentence above is a generalization and in no way applies to every person. A candy bar can make someone feels as full or more full than an apple or a bowl of spinach. Really, it depends on the person.

But, you are right, a unit of energy is just that and does not distinguish between food type.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options

The bold sentence above is a generalization and in no way applies to every person. A candy bar can make someone feels as full or more full than an apple or a bowl of spinach. Really, it depends on the person.

But, you are right, a unit of energy is just that and does not distinguish between food type.

I would pay to meet someone who could sustain themselves on candy bars and multivitamins without feeling like crap. Agreed about the generalization.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I would pay to meet someone who could sustain themselves on candy bars and multivitamins without feeling like crap. Agreed about the generalization.

You're going to extremes. I'm not talking about sustaining oneself on just one type of food, but finding balance and not being afraid to eat that candy bar if it fits their calories or macros.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options

You're going to extremes. I'm not talking about sustaining oneself on just one type of food, but finding balance and not being afraid to eat that candy bar if it fits their calories or macros.

I know but I made that as an example a page back or so, to exemplify the whole calories are all the same thing.
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thank you MFP, for reminding me that people are self righteous and close-minded.

I told my fiance that I was surprised at how the tone here is often one of a political discussion board, rather than the positive tone I was expecting. He said people get attached to their beliefs about food just like they do their political beliefs.

However, on this discussion board, the rules are "Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others" so feel free to Flag > Report something you think a moderator should review for breaking those rules.

Love you and your bf analysis of why people are so nasty on MFP!

• forwardmoving
    forwardmoving Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I once knew someone who would go on a short term diet (just to lose a couple of pounds) eating 4 chocolate bars a day. She seemed to do fine.

I think a person would live longer on a diet of chocolate bars than just kale if we are talking about extremes though.
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My Mum used to brew a pitta tea in the summer (Virginia July=pantpantpantpant) that was supposed to be cooling, didn't taste like much but I was totally impressed by how much it cooled my whole body down... It was like A/C in a glass. She got into Ayruvedic stuff for a awhile. I think the is some value there, many herbs have some value. If it gets you doing yoga and eating healthy then wonderful. My personal opinion: Yoga is the fountain of youth.