Ayurvedic nutrition for weight loss (and general sanity)

Options

Replies

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    [Overweight is often secondary to a more serious pathology, usually a chronic issue.If you can address and remedy the primary cause, the overweight will invariably be resolved. That is the beauty of a holistic approach like aryuveda; it gets to the root of the problem, rather than chasing around symptoms.
    I also want to add to my initial statement. It is possible to be in optimum health and overweight. It is just often a visual indicator of an underlying problem.

Chronically eating too many calories.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Chronically eating too many calories.

LOL! Yep. Pretty much.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    ^ yes, but why is someone getting hunger signals when they don't need any more food?
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    ^ yes, but why is someone getting hunger signals when they don't need any more food?

Because we've been used to it so long.

Not because we're a certain body type, or we have certain ancestors, or need some manically herb or voodoo, or need to learn to ban specific foods
  • miriamtob
    Options

Who's been used to what so long?
    Well, science is catching up to some of the ancient wisdom out there. It doesn't sound like the OPs nutritionist is telling her to do any voodoo or any of the other things you mentioned.

Because we've been used to it so long.

Not because we're a certain body type, or we have certain ancestors, or need some manically herb or voodoo, or need to learn to ban specific foods

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

Because what we interpret as hunger signals could actually be signals of all sorts of things: Boredom, habit, routine, loneliness, depression, happiness, comfort... pick an emotion on the spectrum and I'll find you someone who has learned to associate it to food.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    Sometimes it is emotional reasons (emotions have physiological reasons for existing), sometimes it is hormonal reasons (also rooted in physiology).
  • miriamtob
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If someone goes to a practitioner for emotional eating, leading to overweight, the practitioner would be getting to the root cause by balancing the mental state. If you can identify and remedy whatever is causing the patient stress or depression, the overweight problem should resolve without attacking it directly. That is a holistic approach. It involves spending a good deal of time with the client. The OP's nutritionist spends an hour with her and is available for follow up emails. That is a pretty high level of care and I wouldn't automatically write her off.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

This is a great thread topic! We would all come out more self aware, I would think
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    @ miriamtob, thankyou4thevenom, Eudoxy:

88_facebook_like_button_big.jpeg
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Overweight is often secondary to a more serious pathology, usually a chronic issue. If you can address and remedy the primary cause, the overweight will invariably be resolved. That is the beauty of a holistic approach like aryuveda; it gets to the root of the problem, rather than chasing around symptoms.
    I also want to add to my initial statement. It is possible to be in optimum health and overweight. It is just often a visual indicator of an underlying problem.

You can't be overweight without eating too much.

Even if you have underlying issues, you still have to correct the fact that you simply shovel too much food into your face.

Please tell me how herbs correct the underlying issues.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Hedonic hunger and true hunger are two different things. Obese people often confuse the two.

• miriamtob
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Overweight is often secondary to a more serious pathology, usually a chronic issue. If you can address and remedy the primary cause, the overweight will invariably be resolved. That is the beauty of a holistic approach like aryuveda; it gets to the root of the problem, rather than chasing around symptoms.

Even if you have underlying issues, you still have to correct the fact that you simply shovel too much food into your face.

Herbs help resolve imbalances in the body just as proper nutrition does, and even some pharmaceuticals.

Hedonic hunger and true hunger are two different things. Obese people often confuse the two.

Often is the key word here, not always, certainly not. Many obese people experience true hunger and malnutrition. The set point theory and the discovery of leptin sheds a lot of light on this fact.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

This is a great thread topic! We would all come out more self aware, I would think

You're right! I'll try to start a new thread.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

This is not true. You can't be overfat without eating too much. But you could be overweight if a medical condition or medication causes severe inflammation or water retention.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Herbs help resolve imbalances in the body just as proper nutrition does, and even some pharmaceuticals.

Often is the key word here, not always, certainly not. Many obese people experience true hunger and malnutrition. The set point theory and the discovery of leptin sheds a lot of light on this fact.

Let's see if I'm following you in regards to hedonic hunger.

Herbs... will resolve an emotional issue, which is caused by an underlying physiological imbalance? Is this what you're asserting?

WRT to set point theory?

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/72/5/1088.short

http://www.fasebj.org/content/4/15/3310.full.pdf+html

Please cite some sources for herbs affecting an "imbalance" of leptin.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

What are these "imbalances" of which you speak? And how are they identified and monitored

If they are an actual illness and herbs help to resolve them there would be documentable proof, safety studies and double blind testing and the herbs would become medicine
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

This is not true. You can't be overfat without eating too much. But you could be overweight if a medical condition or medication causes severe inflammation or water retention.

And herbs will cure that?

• miriamtob
    Options

Let's see if I'm following you in regards to hedonic hunger.

Herbs... will resolve an emotional issue, which is caused by an underlying physiological imbalance? Is this what you're asserting?

WRT to set point theory?

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/72/5/1088.short

http://www.fasebj.org/content/4/15/3310.full.pdf+html

Please cite some sources for herbs affecting an "imbalance" of leptin.

Your first study is almost 16 years old and doesn't disprove the set point theory. The second paper is really really old. All its references are from the 80s.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

And herbs will cure that?

I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility. I mean we are talking about an infinite number of hypthetical causes here.