"I'm pretty into myself"

Options
14567810»

Replies

• tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity.

I mildly disagree. The Bible says to love your neighbor AS YOURSELF. Meaning it's very biblical to love ones self. Love yourself enough to want to take care of yourself physically and spiritually. There's no sin in that!
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    So I posted a status last night: "I think its pretty safe to say...I'm pretty into myself. Sorry I'm not sorry! :tongue: "

This is the response I got: "Too me it kinda just comes off like low self esteem. It's been my experience that the ones who talk the loudest/most about how great they are and how much they love themselves are actually just trying to convince the world of that because they can't seem to convince themselves. ...but we all have to find ways to cope with ourselves, and if that works for you, then great. It's like Kanye said, 'We all self conscious, I'm just the first to admit it.'"

I'm sorry, but for each pound that I lose, I'm pretty into myself. You have to love yourself before you can love others. Who cares why you posted it, kudos to you, and that deb downer has another reason for posting that, perhaps to bring down your happy feeling or maybe they were having a bad day, but who needs that. I think if more ppl shout how great they are, more ppl will do it. Why should you keep it inside.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    So I posted a status last night: "I think its pretty safe to say...I'm pretty into myself. Sorry I'm not sorry! :tongue: "

I haven't read all the way through. Someone else may have said this. But your question in this thread doesn't actually fit your status. I wonder how you would have been received if you had said, "It is pretty safe to say ... I love myself! What an amazing feeling."

There's a big difference between "I'm pretty into myself" ("into" implies self-absorbed) and "I love myself." What's the problem with self-absorption? There's a big world out there filled with people and other living things, and we are in many ways interconnected and at times even interdependent. Love yourself, respect yourself, but get out of your own head too.

I'm curious why you would say "Sorry I'm not sorry" if you didn't already realize it would sound a bit vain.

At the end of the day I think it's the way you chose to express yourself, not that you can't love yourself.

Edit: I realize the person made reference to people who talk about loving themselves. I am not sure the person would have said that had you phrased it differently, because to me it reads as if the person said it for ease of communication, not necessarily because that person believes it is wrong to acknowledge that you love yourself.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity.

I mildly disagree. The Bible says to love your neighbor AS YOURSELF. Meaning it's very biblical to love ones self. Love yourself enough to want to take care of yourself physically and spiritually. There's no sin in that!

I also agree. The seven deadly sins for which this poster referenced isn't even in the bible. And yes I have read from Genesis to Revelations.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    hahahaha Great dialogue guys! This is exactly why I posted this thread! :smile:

Whether you agree with me or not...Think I'm awesome or insecure...To each his own! :drinker: