WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @csofled - You look awesome!

Beth in WNY - I agree that walkers and bikers dress like a neon sign so people can see us! So sorry about your neighbour. I wear neon yellow when riding my bike, but it remains dangerous, especially in countries where a bicycle is not really considered a mode of transportation.

My first week of staycation is done and it has been wonderful and busy including some bike rides, hanging out on the patio, a couple of birthday parties, a 10K race and babysitting grand kiddies.

Today I designated as a quiet time for just moi. B) I am catching up on all your posts too, although given the speed of this forum, I doubt if I caught all of your contributions.

I also finally cleaned up my old study papers from the 90's this past week. It brought back memories of how hard I worked and finally obtained my accounting designation at age 50. It was a major goal I wanted - and needed - to achieve.

I am reminded that "someday" is not an actual day. I checked my calendar. ;)

Till next time.

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • Charm4u76132
    Charm4u76132 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Pip - Fabulous dogs you have! Looks like great fun. :)

Also noticed the cute yorkies in the background, since I have a DY myself.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    Options

I am reminded that "someday" is not an actual day. I checked my calendar. ;)

Till next time.

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC [/quote]

Go Renny! ! ! ! Ever since my cancer I have lived that, but you have put it so well! ! ! ! :flowerforyou:
  • Charm4u76132
    Options
    Hey Pam in Dallas - Great progress in that you're logging daily and have looked to see what you could do differently to go further. Hooray for you! Keep going, we're cheering for you. - Nancy
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Much as I love ALL of you dang people, I categorically refuse to go down from country to state level... thus Australia, Canada, and US, and not Saskatchewan, Tasmania, Texas, etc. I'd be here until I fell down! smiley-shocked003.gif LOL...

I am okay with that... Did we have someone from Italy?

Lillian from West Central Saskatchewan
  • Charm4u76132
    Options
    Thank you to all who replied about my really obese guy friend. You've confirmed that HE has to want it and DO it. I can't do it for him no matter how badly I want him to be healthy. Even though he has ASKED for my help and I wait for him to bring up the subject, I'm no longer willing to offer solutions (because its way too frustrating when he rejects everything and very sad to see him continue on a self-destructive path).

Instead, I have detached and released him into God's loving care. Praying he will find a solution.

Grateful for the understanding and support here.

Have a great day! - Nancy in Cowtown, TX
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Csofied, I love the picture. That top is gorgeous. That is something I would buy and wear. Serious NSV!

On the topic of overweight friends, I'll chime in from the other side. I have a good friend who used to be the same size as I. She got diet pills from the doctor and dropped close to 100 lbs, too thin really, but she had always wanted to be thin, so I was happy for her. I dropped 30 and plateaued. All she wanted to talk about was her weight, and she took every opportunity (or so it seemed that way to me) to remind me that I was still fat. I did not appreciate it. I know what I weigh and I know that I could stand to drop a few more, but that doesn't mean I want everybody to keep reminding me of it. Here's an example. When getting up from my chair one night, my slippers caught on the carpet and I fell, twisting my ankle. When I told her about it, she said "oh my, if that had happened to me when I was fat, it would have done some serious damage." Didn't even ask me if I was okay, could she do anything to help, etc. I finally quit making an effort to be friends with her. I'm sure she told people I was jealous because she was skinny and I was fat. I didn't care. I decided I didn't need friends like her.

I realize that is not your attitudes, that you are coming from a point of love and concern. But all we can do is love people as they are. They will change when/if they are ready. And nobody wants their faults pointed out to them constantly.

We do tend to obsess a bit about fitness, calories, healthy eating, etc. when we are in full MYP mode. It is great that we can come here and be surrounded by like-minded people so that we don't have to bore our friends/spouses/families who aren't as in to it as we are.

DrKatie - I have had lots of friends who have tried various "quaky diets" (for lack of better words) and they lost horrendous mount of weight but unfortunately they didn't learn how to eat properly, exercise or drink water....lots of them weight more now than they did before....they have come to me and asked why I haven't gained my weight back...I repeated myself - portion control, cut back the sugar, exercise, drink water....and apparently that is rather boring because they are off trying some other quick fix.

Oh yes.... the latest is "Thrive" I hear it is caffeine pills and there are other ingredients in the pills. A friend of mine researched deep into them and there are cancer causing components, and some ingredients that are actually banned in other countries!! Only in Canada eh what a pity.

Lillian
  • Charm4u76132
    Options
    Grandmallie, Sounds like Hubby needs to plan and purchase groceries one time. Might give him a reality check on how hard you try to be cost-effective, in the midst of current high prices!
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Lenora - Monkfish has to be one of the most repulsive-looking fish on earth. Take a look: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lophius Still, it's great eating. The fishmongers at Seattle's Pike Place Market often rig up a monkfish outside their display, attaching fishing line to the upper jaw. When a curious child or unsuspecting tourist comes along, they yank the line and the fish's mouth opens. You often hear shrieks outside that stall. smiley-scared007.gif

Heather - Thanks for the recipe! I ought to have been able to figure that out on my own. smiley-ashamed002.gif When my husband and I got married, 37 years ago, my mother-in-law had just returned from a couple years in India, and she made tandoori chicken for our wedding dinner. It was a favorite dish for a while but eventually that particular combination of flavors fell by the wayside. Well, they're about to be picked up, brushed off and pressed into service again.

Katla - Up at 78°N the sun goes below the horizon for the last time in late October and we don't see it again until mid-February. That doesn't mean it's dark, though. Down where you live, at 45°N, the sky starts to get light half an hour before it actually goes up, right? Up here it can be light for several hours even though the sun doesn't actually peep above the horizon. 24-hour darkness only lasts for about 9 weeks. ("Only" she says!)

Some people find it tough, but they don't last long. They move south first chance they get. Most of us just deal with the darkness. In fact a lot of us like the "dark season" best because it's such a sociable time. And you wouldn't believe how beautiful the full moon is when you haven't seen the sun for a while! I once heard a big macho man tell two big macho friends there was a full moon out and they all jumped in a car and headed up the valley to get away from the lights of the "big city" and admire the moonlight.

Then of course in summer it's payback time and we have constant daylight from mid-April to late August. That's when people joke about partying until the sun goes down. smiley-eatdrink007.gif

/Penny at the Pole
  • mom216
    mom216 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    ok, I just want scream..... I made it!!! I walked across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge from VA to MD & back! My sorry 54 yr old over weight body complete with a bad knee made it. I am sun burned, sweaty, and gross. Dam I'm good!
    Never, never give up!!!!
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    Pip - I sure wish I could get my lab to lay in his pool. He is just happy to get his feet wet and have a drink. But he will dive into the lake and swim around.

Lillian
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Bravo mom216!
  • mom216
    mom216 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I almost got the bedroom closet all packed up. Today I will finish and then start on the kitchen. It's a big closet! We saw the realtor for our buyer yesterday and she assured us that the banker told her that everything will get done on time. Only 2 more weeks! We have a 40'x60' pole building that my DH has been packing up mostly tools and yard equipment. I haven't even had time to practice riding my new bike! I might not have time until after we move.

Michele- I'm glad you found your water belt! I know what you mean by wanting cake! I have been stuck on eating ice cream. I have to stop so I don't make it a habit.

Pip - it's nice that you and Kirby do so many things together. Have fun running with Yogi!

Janet DJ - I will start calling you that. I love nick names! It makes you sound cool and musically! Have fun at the beach.

Grits- that is so sad about your mom's house. I still drive by the house I grew up in.

Debbiemccan- what is the military diet? I have never heard of it. Good job on losing and exercise!

Katla- I am so sorry for your neighbors mom. It is hard to see a friend go through tough times with a loved one. (((hugs))) Hoping for the best for your phone!

Joyce - what brand of CPAP machine do you have? I would love to not wear ear plugs!

Elizabeth- it sounds like you have done well with your calorie count. I do heavy lifting. I enjoy it so it makes it easy to do. I guess if you walked all day at work you really wouldn't want to go home and walk as your exercise.

Penny - Beautiful picture!

Sue from Cambridge - welcome! Stick with us and we will do it together.

Cynthia - great job! You can do it.

MNMargaret - welcome home.

Lisa - I love yeast rolls! My DMIL makes them.

Pamici- you are doing great!

Scofled- you look great! Now you will find yourself looking in that mirror often!

Sylvia- you are such an inspiration with what you have accomplished! I saw your picture on another thread holding up your old pants and you should be very proud of yourself! If you are really unhappy though have you thought about surgery?

Photomom- great goals!

Terri- you must be so excited about your son! Congratulations!

Carey - I'm glad that you enjoy your exercise so much!

Allison- don't go shopping for groceries anymore. And when you start running out of food and he complains remind him of his behavior and tell him it is now his job!

Nancy- you are doing awesome!

Renny- your staycation sounds fabulous!

Mom216- awesome!

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,526 Member
    Options
    Really crowded peeps, ewas zig zagging most of the run. 28 min even. 8.55ap, not bad considering.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Good job, Mom 216!
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @mom216 - Rock on wit' yo' bad self! Woot!

@csofled - gorgeous pic... and a real non-scale victory, to be able to look in a full-length mirror and SEE yourself. I can see literally two inches square of my face, or just my hair, and never notice the rest of me with no problems. Well done!

Mary from Minn - the flatbread yeasties turned out pretty good... they definitely have to be warmed up in the microwave first to have that yeast bread feel and amazing smell. Not bad for approx 85 calories to add to a sammich. See how they are toasted tomorrow... :smiley:

Lillian - I know we have Italy, whose name is Rosie, but haven't found someone living in Italy yet... but I might have missed them in the recent flood. Hello? Someone in Italy who deserves a flag? :wink: Don't know why the whole international thing appeals to me, too, Carey, but it does... I think I like knowing that there are women our age all over the world whose health matters to them, and who want this for themselves... and want this community. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I dunno.

Nancy from Cowtown - didn't take it too seriously... believe me, I wave the Texas flag more than I should... I'm originally from south of you about three/four hours, near Nacogdoches.

Dr. KatieBug - good reminder. Nothing, but nothing was more irritating than unsolicited advice from the newly converted. And I'm not saying any of us ever do that, before anyone gets upset. I know that the particular subject was asked for her input, and then rejected over and over... But as an ex-smoker, I never give smokers advice on how to quit. Even when they ask me how I quit, I keep it short and to the point, and try to never lecture.

The absolute worst was when I weighed 300+ and the never-heavies would say, "You have such a pretty face!" I would have cheerfully committed the worst mayhem, but you know, I had that whole "jolly" reputation to keep up. Oooh, more buried rage there than I remembered. Time to go take a shower and relax...

Best to all...
    Lisa from West Texas
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    Options
    Yeah mom216! ! ! ! !,, WTG! ! ! ! !
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    so proud of all of you with running and relay's and all....
    we went shopping together once~ all I can say is it wasn't a pretty sight... got half way through and he started bit**ing and I told him you finish the FN shopping..
    we do go to Sam's together but he wont step foot in with me after that lol..
    well off to Lowes again.. looking at back splash now... another 9 days until he starts with the kitchen
    beautiful weather weekend.. and I bought more jars gonna make another 24 jars of jam :)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    another hot and humid day in Il and more rain.Flooding in certain areas.
    Hugs for jane