WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,081 Member
    Lisa - my DMIL can't find her recipe for the flat bread (age) and dd wanted it. Would you share yours? My DH has looked all over for it since DMIL gave him her recipe books.

Mary from Minnesota
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Mary, I used to say I would never have surgery for the loose skin, but now that it's gotten worse I'm sort of thinking about it. Of course, insurance wouldn't pay for it, so that would be a factor. I met a woman once who had gotten her arms done, though, and she had long scars that ran the length of her upper arms - on the inside where it was less visible, but I remember thinking how bad that must have hurt.

Pip-Poop, your sweet dogs look so tired! They must have had fun. We have a wading pool for our dogs and Molly the whippet is the only one who will get in it and lie down after she runs at top speed around the yard for a while. And it doesn't matter how cold it is either. I've seen her break ice on top so she can get wet. Silly dog. The two mutts just watch her in disbelief. "You're getting wet on purpose?!"

Lisa, I got the comment "you have such a beautiful smile" from my thin friends, and never once believed it. Now, those same thin friends are very supportive of the new me, but the heavier friends have made themselves scarce. And I promise I wasn't telling them about how I did it it or anything. I wonder if looking at me makes them feel bad about their own situations.

Im having a bit of a dizzy day today, so am at home in my Jammie's at 3:00 in the afternoon. Hubby has gone up to the office to write a test for tomorrow's class. So, I'm enjoying a little quiet time without MSNBC and CNN blaring at me. The dogs are snoozing on the back of the sofas. They seem to think they are cats.

I hope everyone is having a great day!

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
  • fanncy0626
    Sylvia - pain is relative. It also sounds like you are really bothered as is, which is painful mentally. I told my DH that some day I am going to get a face lift! If I had a lot of extra skin I might choose to do that too. You looked awesome in your picture. I think that we are more critical of how we look then how others see us. I think that surgery should be covered for mental health reasons. but i'm not in charge. Just know that we will support you any way that we can. You are a wonderful grandma, mother and wife and a great friend to all on here. :)

Mary from Minnesota

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    mom216 - You go girl. It's a great feeling of accomplishment. An inspiration for the rest of us. Thanks.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited June 2015
    Mary... I'm happy to... it's genuinely just a yeast roll recipe, the "flat" part is the technique post first-rise.
    • 1 cup of warm water
    • 2 yeast envelopes (or 4 and a half tsp of yeast)
    • 2 cups of room temperature milk ( I use dry milk, fat-free)
    • 2/3 cup of oil
    • 1/4 cup of sugar
    • 4 teaspoons of salt
    • 1 to 2 cups of wheat bran (optional) if you want wheat flavor - we like it with this.
    • 6 to 8 cups of all-purpose flour
    • Add the yeast to the cup of warm water in a container with some room in it, add a pinch of sugar, and stir well. Put aside to proof (when it gets a slight head on it, like a glass of beer).
    • In large mixing bowl, put everything except the flour, including the wheat bran, if you're using it--this allows it to rehydrate.
    • Mix together until combined.
    • Add five cups of flour and stir, then just keep adding more flour until it makes a ball of wet dough.
    • Sprinkle about a cup of flour on a flat surface, and put the dough in the center. Knead about five to ten minutes, adding flour as needed to get your dough ball to the point where it's smooth. It should feel just about like a baby's butt when it's done.
    • Put a tablespoon of oil in your mixing bowl, put the dough ball in it, turn it over until it's coated on all sides. Put in a warm place, cover tightly with plastic wrap, let rise until doubled.
    • Put it back on your flat surface, punch it down and shape into sandwich rolls or bread loaves (for pizza dough or flatbread, see below). Let rise again until doubled, then bake. Rolls need to bake at 375 for 18 minutes, loaves need 45 to 55 minutes.
    • Total will make one pan of rolls and two loaves of bread.

Notes:

Recipe cuts in half very easily, but does not double well.

Each ounce of dough before baking comes out to about 70 calories. Sandwich rolls should be about 2.5 ounces of dough.

To make flatbread: After the first rise, Take the number of ounces that you want the flatbread to be (I wanted mine to be about 85-90 calories apiece, so I made them 1.2 ounces), and split in half. Roll each half out to be quite flat and thin to the point where they're nearly transparent. Lay one half on top of the other. Pinch the edges a small amount if you like.

Make as many as you plan to bake. Put them on a sheet pan sprayed with a small amount of vegetable oil. They won't spread out much, but will rise up. Let them rise to the point where the height makes sense to you. Once they're in the oven, they won't rise much. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 12 to 16 minutes, depending on thickness. Once they've cooled, they will split between the two layers very easily, much like pita bread. You can add spices to the bread at the flour stage, as well.

To make pizza dough: half a recipe makes four large crusts... add Italian seasoning to taste when you add the flour to the rest of the ingredients--I add about four tablespoons to the full recipe.

After the dough's risen once, shape into crusts, let rise at least slightly. Pre-bake on pans at 400 for about 8 to 10 minutes, pull out of the oven. Flip over, put your ingredients on the browned side, and put back in until the cheese is brown.
  • fanncy0626
    Thanks Lisa!

Mary from Minnesota
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    quote] @pipcd34

As someone who is obese I can say the hardest part is getting you to admit you have a problem. I suffered with depression as well as being obese. Everytime I hear the news go on about sugar and sodas I cringe. I am not a sugar eater and I dont drink sodas. I over eat because I dont eat often until 3pm and then can not stop. Put this with the depression and everyone who says you shouldnt weigh x amount just sends you further into a black hole and you end up doing nothing. You have to want to lose the weight and take your control back with your relationship with food. I am now forcing myself to eat breakfast and lunch even though I dont want to eat. I can put my breakfast in a dish and because Im not hungry I can leave it there for hours until I force myself to eat it. Couple with the not eatting is when I do eat I never feel full hence the over eatting. I have started counting every calorie I have so I can see what I am eatting.
    I do feel for the man with the weight problem and his need for a younger woman but until he is ready to admit he has a weight problem and he wont get a younger woman with his weight issue, he will never change. One thing I would say, have you every asked him to go walk a little bit with you. Even if its just up and down a flight of stairs, its a start and he may like the idea. I found I needed someone to exercise with to start exercising. Just keep asking if he says no, one day he might say yes. Just dont put pressure on him to do anything.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    mom216 wrote: »
    ok, I just want scream..... I made it!!! I walked across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge from VA to MD & back! My sorry 54 yr old over weight body complete with a bad knee made it. I am sun burned, sweaty, and gross. Dam I'm good!
    Never, never give up!!!!

THAT IS SOOOO AWESOME!! LOVE IT!!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,126 Member
    KateKyi wrote: »
    quote] @pipcd34

As someone who is obese I can say the hardest part is getting you to admit you have a problem. I suffered with depression as well as being obese. Everytime I hear the news go on about sugar and sodas I cringe. I am not a sugar eater and I dont drink sodas. I over eat because I dont eat often until 3pm and then can not stop. Put this with the depression and everyone who says you shouldnt weigh x amount just sends you further into a black hole and you end up doing nothing. You have to want to lose the weight and take your control back with your relationship with food. I am now forcing myself to eat breakfast and lunch even though I dont want to eat. I can put my breakfast in a dish and because Im not hungry I can leave it there for hours until I force myself to eat it. Couple with the not eatting is when I do eat I never feel full hence the over eatting. I have started counting every calorie I have so I can see what I am eatting.
    I do feel for the man with the weight problem and his need for a younger woman but until he is ready to admit he has a weight problem and he wont get a younger woman with his weight issue, he will never change. One thing I would say, have you every asked him to go walk a little bit with you. Even if its just up and down a flight of stairs, its a start and he may like the idea. I found I needed someone to exercise with to start exercising. Just keep asking if he says no, one day he might say yes. Just dont put pressure on him to do anything.

This brought tears to my eyes. I remember feeling like that. Many of us have been there. Owning up to it is half the battle. Every tiny victory will strengthen you. A bit at a time. Hugs and love. <3

Heather UK
  • Jetra01
    Jetra01 Posts: 3 Member
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,
    I was just getting ready to copy and paste my post when Barbie posted the new room. Thanks for keeping us going, Barbie. <3

Lisa, good goals and just keep up the good work. Congrats on the pounds lost~~

Sondre, you are forgiven. FYI, when you hit “Quote” at the bottom of a post, it copies that post into your new post. You will get the hang of this thing, it just takes practice. So guess you need to post more often.

Mary, big bummer on your colds. Get Cold eEze. How wonderful that you can take your time moving things. That is my favorite way. Feel better fast.

Linda, when I used to step on the scale at different times during the day, that did get discouraging. Mainly because my weight kept going up all day long. Lol Now I weigh every morning and not again until the next morning. The only exception is when I have a doctor’s appointment and have to weigh at his office, which is always heavier than my first thing in the morning weigh.

Allison, I’m sure you haven’t gained enough weight to even notice. I’m sorry DFIL hurt your feelings. I can’t believe, even in his condition, that he called you “fatty”. I might have to retaliate for that one. ((Hugs))

Sylvia, sounds like you just had a great day of shopping. Eeewww on the Root Beer Milk. That sounds areful, but glad your friend liked it. I laughed that you didn’t even make it to the supplier you made the trip to see. (Good story) Your rugs sound cool.

Gilly
    , good to see you as it has been a while. Sorry about your cold. Take care of yourself and feel better soon.

Meg, I know I’d feel guilty if that were my DH that had pneumonia. They are usually such babies when sick that we don’t know when to listen to them.

Carol, glad you are home safe. Tell us more about this date? And good for you for going!!!! Did you meet him there or had you met before? Come on. Details. Oh just read your next post. That S#$%! At least you have had your first date, now on to bigger and better.

I don’t know where May went??? **looking around on the floor** :* It went so fast that I never had time to get in a groove and my weight shows it. I am a basket case when I have a cruise or vacation to look forward to. Nothing planned in June, so maybe I can concentrate on living right including eating and exercise. I only lost 3 pounds in May, but that's never one of my goals. I have dropped another size, so very happy with that. I wasn't as good on exercising so that is at the top of my list for June along with keep eating smart. Today was a day to rest and start putting up things from the Garage sale. I'm happy to report that everything is packed and put away. I got all the new dishes washed and in the cabinet and packed away the old ones. Tomorrow is a way past due trip to the nail salon. Ladies, thank you all for the support and inspiration that you provide.

I wish us all a very healthy and happy June. <3

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC

• Jetra01
    Jetra01 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello ladies, I am looking forward to getting to know you.
  • pipcd34
    WELL PEEPSTERS i finally skimmed thru all the posts now that i'm sitting down. i am not a work so i don't have 2 monitors to take notes of everyones stuff but out of memory....

to the lady that took a full length pic of herself and was easily able to zip up those pants? i dunno, lookin kinda sexy there!! you should be proud.!!

and to all you peeps sharing the recipes?? don't share them, just mail me some already made and give me the calorie content, you can freeze it if you have to before mailing it to me. let me know if you need my address... free food is ALWAYS tasty and awesome. as my husband says, "fills a hole makes a turd" if you need explanation on that thought, let me know.

usually floyd was the one that always was "looking and acting like he was going to kill another dog" at these kind of events but i was SHOCKED when we got there and there was no kind of appearance of aggression or embarrassment (especially for being a golden retriever). 6 must be the magic age, he was a champ!! i ran with yogi while kirby walked with the other two. poor bullwinkle made it through, she didn't go up the hill on this particular part of the course because it would have been too much for her. after i was done, i walked back to go look for them. OH AND I WAS SOOOOOO PISSEDDDDDD!!!!! I FORGOT MY HEART RATE MONITOR SO I HAD TO GUESS AT MY CALORIE BURN!! AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! so i will be guessing and i hate that!!

i guess that's it for now peep-o- roomies!!!!!
  • pipcd34
    oh... the kids were a hit, everyone wanted to take pics of them when he would get into the kiddie pools and lay down... if i was single and a bi-sexual, i would have had it made!!
  • chanagraves
    chanagraves Posts: 16 Member
    JanetMMcC wrote: »
    Welcome to all newcomers!

Mary from MN, Cheri, MNMargaret, Terri, Michele in NC, SC Janet, - thanks!

bkrimpet - you're more than welcome, and I'll join your celebration. :)

yanniejannie - Deleting the quoted material's worked for me.
    Yay for sleep!

Sylvia - sounds like a grand Thursday!
    You and your son have a tough row to hoe. Any chance for transplants?
    Upper arm yoga pants - like these? I suspect those that claim to tone to be hooey, but they might work for your more realistic aims.
    http://tinyurl.com/qcp3gmm
    http://search.aswechange.com/women/Upper-Arm-Shaper
    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/arm-shaper-sleeves
    http://tinyurl.com/q78kmkn
    I found these with a search for
    spandex upper arms
    ... "would you ... study?" made me laugh.

barbiecat - do you have any preference between the pizza lovers and the innkeeping series? Pizza lovers sounds as if it could be dangerous. ;)

Katla - "Chalazion" sounds like it ought to mean some sort of beautiful jewel, not a nasty clogged eyelid gland. Glad it's been seen to and is getting better fast.
    Another Nora Roberts fan! Do you like her J.D. Robb books, too? I'm right fond of Eve Dallas, and love the way Roberts has shown her growth over the course of the series.

Lilian - huzza for the rain! I hope it was a nice slow soaking one.

Cheri -
    Yay for the 0.2! Huzza!
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my scale's dive sticks around (maybe it realized I as thinking of buying a gun so I could shoot it), but I got good exercise and ate way under budget both yesterday and today. Not on purpose; just didn't want much for no reason that I can tell. So I ignored MFP's equivalent of "Danger, danger, Will Robinson!"
    I don't know if the loss had anything to do with my adding little baby jogs to my walks.
    And your body changing shape is more important than the numbers on the scale. You're losing fat and gaining muscle, which is more dense and LOTS healthier.

Lisa - I'm snickering at your ex looking "as if the Michelin Man had illicit relations with an albino beaver". Yup, you're a writer, all right. :)
    Sorry folks you expected didn't show. I'd be interested in what you learned.
    Great pic!
    If you're interested, there are some people who know a lot about marketing over on my home forum, and membership's free. Folks there include both traditionally and self-published authors.

Pat - what a pretty vine! What is it?
    (Later) Oh, I see. Clematis. I like the pink-and-white, too.

Terri - If I didn't have a GPS in the car, I'd get lost all the time. The Man In My Life has never let me forget the time I went to a post office at night - a matter of two right turns out and two left turns back - and wound up somewhere in the middle of nowhere. But then, my first coherent memory is of getting lost in bed.
    And a tip of the hat for your determination to find exercises you can do in spite of all the medical tsuris.

Jules - my kid brother went to Howard Med on the Public Health Service, and is now at a FQHC in the general area where he did his PHS work.
    Yaaay on another four!
    Stick your finger into the dirt around the plants before you water. It's been a long while since I grew veggies, but I think it should feel moist rather than wet or dry.
    Do you know what kind of soil you have - clay? sandy? rich dirt?

Heather - YAY for the 1 pound loss. And the commitment to yourself.
    Sorry about the laptop. Hope the cleaning helped.
    Good luck on the disk rescue.

HulaMama - I just came here at the end of May, and lots of people have joined since.

Becca - Grand Friday!
    And the loss. :) Down, down, down, down. :)
    Very cool about your son and the parade.

SSC - maybe the fats don't add up because they're rounded off?

Mia Koda - Hurray for your walking and seat space and tray table!

Becmanes... - that's a tough one, when everyone's bringing in treats. Maybe bring in fresh strawberries or fruit salad?

Barbie - great Friday! And great way to handle the pot luck.

peeppippipoop - I may bike some to work, once I get more stamina, but don't think I could do that on days I'm lugging the computer. Not unless I can find a trailer. <wry smyle>
    Very cool about the Saturday run.
    1050! Wow!
    Great pix!

Janet in SC - some varieties of clematis do have other names: vase vine (Clematis viorna), leather flower (if it has fleshy petals), old man's beard, virgin's bower (Clematis viticella), and the prettiest name for the only one native to Britain, traveller's joy.

Chanagraves - Howdy, neighbor! I live in Algiers, work across the streeet from the Superdome.

Allison- hurrah for the good night's sleep and your determination.
    Tell your husband you'll reserve some jam as long as he stays sweet. ;)

Kathyrain - I grew up in Fairfax County, about halfway beteen Alexandria and Ft Belvoir.

Janetr - 3-pound huzza!

Lillian - Happy MFPversary!

KateKyi - Good on you for taking back control.

Elizabeth - to join, you do what you did. :) Show up and join in.

JanetM in NO

• chanagraves
    JanetMMcC wrote: »
    Welcome to all newcomers!

Mary from MN, Cheri, MNMargaret, Terri, Michele in NC, SC Janet, - thanks!

bkrimpet - you're more than welcome, and I'll join your celebration. :)

yanniejannie - Deleting the quoted material's worked for me.
    Yay for sleep!

Sylvia - sounds like a grand Thursday!
    You and your son have a tough row to hoe. Any chance for transplants?
    Upper arm yoga pants - like these? I suspect those that claim to tone to be hooey, but they might work for your more realistic aims.
    http://tinyurl.com/qcp3gmm
    http://search.aswechange.com/women/Upper-Arm-Shaper
    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/arm-shaper-sleeves
    http://tinyurl.com/q78kmkn
    I found these with a search for
    spandex upper arms
    ... "would you ... study?" made me laugh.

barbiecat - do you have any preference between the pizza lovers and the innkeeping series? Pizza lovers sounds as if it could be dangerous. ;)

Katla - "Chalazion" sounds like it ought to mean some sort of beautiful jewel, not a nasty clogged eyelid gland. Glad it's been seen to and is getting better fast.
    Another Nora Roberts fan! Do you like her J.D. Robb books, too? I'm right fond of Eve Dallas, and love the way Roberts has shown her growth over the course of the series.

Lilian - huzza for the rain! I hope it was a nice slow soaking one.

Cheri -
    Yay for the 0.2! Huzza!
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my scale's dive sticks around (maybe it realized I as thinking of buying a gun so I could shoot it), but I got good exercise and ate way under budget both yesterday and today. Not on purpose; just didn't want much for no reason that I can tell. So I ignored MFP's equivalent of "Danger, danger, Will Robinson!"
    I don't know if the loss had anything to do with my adding little baby jogs to my walks.
    And your body changing shape is more important than the numbers on the scale. You're losing fat and gaining muscle, which is more dense and LOTS healthier.

Lisa - I'm snickering at your ex looking "as if the Michelin Man had illicit relations with an albino beaver". Yup, you're a writer, all right. :)
    Sorry folks you expected didn't show. I'd be interested in what you learned.
    Great pic!
    If you're interested, there are some people who know a lot about marketing over on my home forum, and membership's free. Folks there include both traditionally and self-published authors.

Pat - what a pretty vine! What is it?
    (Later) Oh, I see. Clematis. I like the pink-and-white, too.

Terri - If I didn't have a GPS in the car, I'd get lost all the time. The Man In My Life has never let me forget the time I went to a post office at night - a matter of two right turns out and two left turns back - and wound up somewhere in the middle of nowhere. But then, my first coherent memory is of getting lost in bed.
    And a tip of the hat for your determination to find exercises you can do in spite of all the medical tsuris.

Jules - my kid brother went to Howard Med on the Public Health Service, and is now at a FQHC in the general area where he did his PHS work.
    Yaaay on another four!
    Stick your finger into the dirt around the plants before you water. It's been a long while since I grew veggies, but I think it should feel moist rather than wet or dry.
    Do you know what kind of soil you have - clay? sandy? rich dirt?

Heather - YAY for the 1 pound loss. And the commitment to yourself.
    Sorry about the laptop. Hope the cleaning helped.
    Good luck on the disk rescue.

HulaMama - I just came here at the end of May, and lots of people have joined since.

Becca - Grand Friday!
    And the loss. :) Down, down, down, down. :)
    Very cool about your son and the parade.

SSC - maybe the fats don't add up because they're rounded off?

Mia Koda - Hurray for your walking and seat space and tray table!

Becmanes... - that's a tough one, when everyone's bringing in treats. Maybe bring in fresh strawberries or fruit salad?

Barbie - great Friday! And great way to handle the pot luck.

peeppippipoop - I may bike some to work, once I get more stamina, but don't think I could do that on days I'm lugging the computer. Not unless I can find a trailer. <wry smyle>
    Very cool about the Saturday run.
    1050! Wow!
    Great pix!

Janet in SC - some varieties of clematis do have other names: vase vine (Clematis viorna), leather flower (if it has fleshy petals), old man's beard, virgin's bower (Clematis viticella), and the prettiest name for the only one native to Britain, traveller's joy.

Chanagraves - Howdy, neighbor! I live in Algiers, work across the streeet from the Superdome.

Allison- hurrah for the good night's sleep and your determination.
    Tell your husband you'll reserve some jam as long as he stays sweet. ;)

Kathyrain - I grew up in Fairfax County, about halfway beteen Alexandria and Ft Belvoir.

Janetr - 3-pound huzza!

Lillian - Happy MFPversary!

KateKyi - Good on you for taking back control.

Elizabeth - to join, you do what you did. :) Show up and join in.

JanetM in NO

• DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Good afternoon beautiful ladies :flowerforyou:

Mom216 :) Woo hoo!!! Congrats! What an awesome accomplishment! You should be very proud of yourself :bigsmile:!

Margaret :) Glad you got home safely!

I read all the post but have no more time to reply, we are certainly a chatty group!

Best wishes for health and happiness to all <3

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC B)
  • chanagraves
    Great....a homegirl!!!!!
  • pipcd34
    stats for the day... i hate giving estimates :0(

jog w/yogi - outside, furry 5k- 28min, 8.55ap, 3.1 mi = 400c est.
    walk w/yogi - after run- 18min, 2/7ap, 1.0mi est = 50c est
    total cal 450 est.
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    Thank you everyone for your kind words. Im in a positive frame of mind and have started exercising and started by monitoring my food before reducing food . This week was my first week of 1350 calories. Been a good week only a couple of days over the 1350 by less than 100 cals the rest were under. Today was one of the over days because it was colder than usual but Im happy to see it stay under between 1350 -1500 per day. If its 0lb,1lb or 2lb Ive lost so be it, I am healthier and fitter.
    I will be trying the flat bread recipe once I am at maintenance weight it looks good. Im starting by cutting out as many carbs as I can, low fat and medium protein with increased fiber and water. Trying to cook food and eat fresh rather than buy pre processed or low calorie. I really dont drink enough, it will be a struggle to get up to 7 glasses a day.
    If any of you have any recipes for fried chicken (oven baked, skin off) low carb Id be interested in hearing the recipe. Looking for a crunch to just plain chicken.
    No exercise at the weekends, my rides are during the week. I did watch a beginners yoga video to see if its something id like to try. Starting a 30 day youtube programme tomorrow if my back allows me.
    Be good ladies, if you can not be good be wickedly wicked.
    Kate