WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options

mom216 wrote: »
    ok, I just want scream..... I made it!!! I walked across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge from VA to MD & back! My sorry 54 yr old over weight body complete with a bad knee made it. I am sun burned, sweaty, and gross. Dam I'm good!
    Never, never give up!!!!

Awesome!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday. Since I am off tomorrow and work 3-9 on Tuesday decided to weigh in this morning. Was not good. But new day, new week.
    Message at church last evening was just what I needed to hear. So feeling positive today.
    DS called this morning and invited us over for supper tonight. So will enjoy sometime with two of the DGC.

Lori-Welcome. This is a great place for support and friendship. Glad to have you join us.

Nancy--I completely understand how you feel. I lady I work with is almost 500 or more pounds. She was put on O2 several months ago. I have offered to walk with her and different things. I told her about MFP and all she says is it's the doctors fault. If they would listen to her and just give her the right shot she would be better, in the meantime she eats all the time and goes thru drive thur several times a day. The worst part is she has a daughter that lives with her and is mentaly handicapped and she is getting almost as big as her mom. I worry about something happening to them but nothing I can do. It's hard to watch.

DeeDee--ms dog is so cute, she looks a lot like our Toby. Thanks for the good wishes on the staff meeting. I keep telling different ones when they come to me about things that I am not the boss and at this point I do not want the job. It is such a mess.

Barbie--I so agree food addiction is hard figure out. You can give up drinking, smoking, but not eating. If only ?

Janet--I think DJ would work or just Dimmit. Just don't leave us. I also think I may have one or two pair of ear rings from high school I can still wear,LOL.

Katla--Hugs for you and your friends. I don't think it matters how old we are when our parents pass away, it is never long enough. I know I worry about my mom and she is going to see the surgeon again on Wednesday. She is still losing blood.

Panny--Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

csofled--I do like the picture, you look good in your outfit. Glad you and mirror or friends now.

Sylvia--I have been looking for something also to cover my arms. So I may also have to order something just to try it out. With summer coming not sure how they would work in the heat. Sounds like DGD is enjoying her new dress. I agree about the surgery, I am afraid it would hurt and the cost. So that is why I am checking out the compression sleeves.

Well time to get some work done and so enjoy sharing the day with all of you. Have a great rest of the day.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    to the lady that took a full length pic of herself and was easily able to zip up those pants? i dunno, lookin kinda sexy there!! you should be proud.!!

Ha, ha! That would be me! Thanx! For some reason thru thick and thin my husband has always found me sexy god bless him....I might just start believing him now. <3
    Cheri
  • ronrhoda
    ronrhoda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    How do I join? On vacation, eating out is not the best, but I actually started dieting and really working out daily and watching what I eat about 2+ months ago. No sugar or white flour, lost 18# so far. Have about 35 more to go. Just started MFP about 5 or 6 days ago. Been briskly walking everywhere we stop for 10-30 minutes. I'm determined!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    to the lady that took a full length pic of herself and was easily able to zip up those pants? i dunno, lookin kinda sexy there!! you should be proud.!!

Ha, ha! That would be me! Thanx! For some reason thru thick and thin my husband has always found me sexy god bless him....I might just start believing him now. <3
    Cheri

just think it and u will BE it (sexy i mean) !!!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    ronrhoda wrote: »
    How do I join? On vacation, eating out is not the best, but I actually started dieting and really working out daily and watching what I eat about 2+ months ago. No sugar or white flour, lost 18# so far. Have about 35 more to go. Just started MFP about 5 or 6 days ago. Been briskly walking everywhere we stop for 10-30 minutes. I'm determined!

you just did... just tell us a lil about yourself and where you are from and just keep posting!!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    ozl57if80oa9.jpg

Cute cartoon! :smiley:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,932 Member
    Options
    JanetMMcC wrote: »

barbiecat - do you have any preference between the pizza lovers and the innkeeping series? Pizza lovers sounds as if it could be dangerous. ;)

JanetM in NO
    :) I read the innkeeping series a few years ago....right now I'm reading the pizza lovers and loving the books....you're right about the pizza being dangerous, but only emotionally, I've not eaten any pizza...lately I've been reading series of books about food including recipes at the back....the next books I plan to read are in a donut shop....maybe I'm crazy for doing this.

:) Barbie

• barbiecat
    Options

barbiecat - do you have any preference between the pizza lovers and the innkeeping series? Pizza lovers sounds as if it could be dangerous. ;)

JanetM in NO
    :) I read the innkeeping series a few years ago....right now I'm reading the pizza lovers and loving the books....you're right about the pizza being dangerous, but only emotionally, I've not eaten any pizza...lately I've been reading series of books about food including recipes at the back....the next books I plan to read are in a donut shop....maybe I'm crazy for doing this.

• barbiecat
    Options

JanetM in NO

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    @GRITSandSLUTS here's a link to the Fitbit Flex on Amazon, it's an activity and sleep tracker... It's worn on your wrist kind of 24-7, you can spend as much as you want, depending on how in-depth you want to take your stats. Flex is pretty much low end, which is where I'm staying for now.

And here's an image of my Fitbit dashboard, just a quick glance at my stats from what it told me for Friday... I haven't done squat today yet... :blush: but my husband and his boss just left to go pick up a vehicle from down south on the ranch, so I have an excuse, I swear! Heading out for my run now...

k5y8kzgh4b7t.jpg

I'd probably yank it off (especially in my sleep); I have 'finally' had a 2nd sleep study done and my settings on my C-Pap were changed; now I sleep like I should - like a rock (and I don't snore). I just don't like being woken up before my body's clock tells me I should; but, I do like a fresh cup of coffee in the AM and sometimes I go back to bed to sleep until 8:15 in the AM. I hate to 're-heat' coffee made from a drip machine; and ours doesn't stay on all that long, either.

Talking about mirrors . . . went to Belk's last week and a woman in the restroom was washing her hands had the back of her skirt stuffed down into her pants. I told her that she would 'probably' like to fix her skirt. She was so embarrassed; but, I laughed and told her it would have been worse if there had not been anybody there to tell her about it. "OH, Lord . . . mercy!" We had a good laugh about that. I've heard stories of that happening to people, in bars, in stores, grocery stores, and elsewhere and no telling how long they had been walking around like that. I do have a full-length mirror inside my closet door; but, only 1 other mirror in my house (besides in my bathrooms). My Daddy bought a pier-glass (top heavy) antique mirror, my Mother wondered if he had lost his mind. It got put upstairs for a while so that we could check our 'petty coats'. Remember them? Then he surprised her and had a stand made for it to sit on. They had 11' tall ceilings. Only 1 granddaughter had a house large enough to put it in when she passed away. Also had a gorgeous wardrobe with a full length mirror on its outside door. They took it apart and put it back together to get it in their house and it fit exactly between the corner and the mantelpiece/fireplace. None of us had room to take it. I'm sure it got sold among some of her other antique furniture. I have my Mimi's Hoosier Kitchen Cabinet - that I asked for when she moved from Marietta. She could not believe I wanted 'that old ugly thing'; but, DH stripped the white paint on it and it is gorgeous! Wormy oak - burled wood. I remember she always had pralines, divinity and her coconut surprise cake cooling on it every Christmas when we went to pick her up for the week; and, I wanted something out of her house that reminded me of her. I would not part with it for anything.
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Here you go Kate: A recipe from eatingwell.com. This was very tasty - my young men both loved it.

Oven Fried Chicken

Makes: 4 servings
    Active Time: 20 minutes
    Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes (including marinating time)
    Nutrition Profile
    Diabetes appropriate | Low calorie | Low carbohydrate | Low saturated fat | Low sodium | Heart healthy | Healthy weight |

Ingredients
    1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip)
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon hot sauce
    2 1/2-3 pounds whole chicken legs, skin removed, trimmed and cut into thighs and drumsticks
    1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
    2 tablespoons sesame seeds
    1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground pepper, to taste
    Olive oil cooking spray

Preparation
    1. Whisk buttermilk, mustard, garlic and hot sauce in a shallow glass dish until well blended. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or for up to 8 hours.
    2. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set a wire rack on the baking sheet and coat it with cooking spray.
    3. Whisk flour, sesame seeds, paprika, thyme, baking powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place the flour mixture in a paper bag or large sealable plastic bag. Shaking off excess marinade, place one or two pieces of chicken at a time in the bag and shake to coat. Shake off excess flour and place the chicken on the prepared rack. (Discard any leftover flour mixture and marinade.) Spray the chicken pieces with cooking spray.
    4. Bake the chicken until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 40 to 50 minutes.

Nutrition- as per recipe
    Per serving: 224 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 130 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 1 g fiber; 237 mg sodium; 400 mg potassium.
    Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (24% daily value)
    Carbohydrate Servings: 0
    Exchanges: 5 lean meat

My Nutrition Calculations:
    (10 chicken thighs = 3lbs )
    Calories for 10 servings ( 1 thigh / serving)- 221 cals using 1% milk, lemon juice and white flour

Tips & Notes
    Make Ahead Tip: Marinate the chicken for up to 8 hours.

Tip: No buttermilk? You can use buttermilk powder prepared according to package directions. Or make “sour milk”: mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
    6rifidcgwmfe.jpg

Puget sound porter float
  • mom216
    mom216 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    oh... the kids were a hit, everyone wanted to take pics of them when he would get into the kiddie pools and lay down... if i was single and a bi-sexual, i would have had it made!!

That made me laugh so hard I snorted!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    2c4wen8cnwhb.jpg

Having a liquid refreshment with h my blondie
  • kathyrain
    kathyrain Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Second post for me here. I'm heading to Aruba in 6 days with my husband and our two teens. My husband and I started MFP the first week of March when we booked this trip. I think we've put off tropical trips due to both of us not feeling so great in swimsuits. Well here we are, ready to go and we've both just about met our goal weights. He has dropped 32 (!) lbs and I've dropped 17 (!). Yay for us. We've both adjusted our goals to drop more and really fall in the middle of the recommended weight guidelines. We went to Aruba for our honeymoon almost 18 years ago. Time flies!

On another note...any Garmin Vivofit users here? I use it daily but have not been able to sinc any activity to MFP. I'm considering getting a Fitbit since so many people here seem to like it. It's a shame though, as my Vivofit is only about 7 months old.

Kathy from Virginia
    (Bristow, Va to be exact)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    boy, on close-ups, leftover makeup and sweaty, i sure do look ruff!!!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Yeah Mom216!! WTG :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,121 Member
    Options
    Puget sound porter float

I want one! It looks delicious! So do you two! You guys are so cute.