WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Sat in court all day. Did walk to a restaurant which had wi-fi to write and send the end-of-the-day stories, and then walked up the 5 stories (round and round, not stairs) to the car, but still only had about 4,700 steps. BUT was able to stay within the calorie budget. Or think I did. Frinstance, I counted the chicken salad sandwich as 2 pieces of whole wheat bread and 6/7ths of a 3.5-ounce serving of Bumblebee brand chicken salad (which is about as over-mayonnaisey as this tasted), since the sandwich weighed 5 oz and bread is usually 1 oz/slice. So fail on walking, win on calories. One out of two is only half-bad.

jmkmomm - I hope and trust your headache is better. I commiserate w/ your tale of the excessive scent.

KateKyi - your needlework sounds great. Just out of curiosity, why not go back to embroidery?

suerontur - wait a while longer. yeah, it's a pain. I'll try to upload my weight chart for the past month. I've only had a few days beyond my calorie allotment, but my weight goes upandownandupandownand... The overall trend, though, is down.
    qpzaui979cvz.jpg

Evangelia - if it uploads, see my weight chart re "real" weight loss. <wry smyle>

lisa - interesting, about the brain changes. I hadn't known that about the bypass cutting off hunger pants, if only temporarily.

Allison - i hope and trust your headache is gone now, too.

SC Janet - yeah, I'll prolly get my ears re-bored. Just donno when, or where.

Heather - Congratulations on your pride!

Cheri - happy hundredth!

GRITS - way to go on the almost-in-budget blackberry cobbler. :)

Carey - Congrats on the smokeless anniversaary! way to go!

Sylvia - best of luck with the anti-mold renovation.

Elizabeth in CA - congratulations on resisting the urge to purge.

Jules - Yay you, indeed! Getting an A in spite of all those perimenopausal symptoms is an achievement to celebrate!
    With that soil, I'd think that just keeping it feeling cool and on the moist side rather than dry or saturated ought to work. Your local agricultural exchange office would have better info, tho.

Ive read and answered 2 of 9 pp, but its' bedtime for Janet in NO

This is weird. when I preview this, I see 2 or 3 iterations of the message. But not when I open it for editing. So if everything shows up multiple times, I can but apologize and say i have no idea whyit's happening.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Never mind about the request for someone to help me change the number on my C/I - I went to 'tomorrow' and it is shown as it should be. I guess it is wrong tomorrow I will have to heck back in with some of you that have been on this community longer than I have.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Late, so will be short. We hit 100 today, heat index 110. Grocery store early, swore I'd stay in all day. Phone call from friend about 1:30pm, her bike had a flat and she was on a training ride with the fat tire one; this is the gal who does all the tris. So I drove to where she was with ice water for her, made sure she was in shade with the bike, got her keys, drove to her house, left my car and drove her SUV to where she was and helped load up the bike, then back to her home and back in my own car.......all in the middle of the afternoon heat. Got home about 3:30 and done in. She may do tris but I sure am not in shape for this heat!!! She won her age group last w/e (55 to 59) in one. I admire her and love her to death so glad I was home and could help.

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments about my wearing the sundress!

Katla.......Took your age exam.....97, but they don't know about my complete LBBB, so I really doubt it.

Damit......It was a sandy beach in summer at the southern end of Mi., maybe around St. Joseph area.

Janetr........Great before and after pics!!!

Joyce........Very cute girls!

drkatiebug..........Hang in there!

Grits.......Will keep Michael in my thoughts, may he recover quickly.

G'nite, all
    yanniejannie

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    mom216 wrote: »
    Ok so I need to vent......

My hair (the roots) are growing in black - I have been blond/light brown my entire life
    I picked up my 1st pair of prescription glasses ever today - bifocals
    My knee reminds me daily that it really doesn't want to go work out - pain and more pain
    I'm too old to wear really trendy clothes (I'm way past 17) and I'm not quite ready for double knits
    I have that ring of fat between my belly button and pelvic bone that came from having kids

I got pissed and called my Mom to ask what other delightful treats are coming down the road.......she laughed hysterically and hung up

Yes, when I sit back and read my pity party - I can actually find gratitude in all of it. I am just scared sh*tless by Mom's laugh - she knows something! >:)

I am so sorry, well within reason cuz I did laugh out lout, but getting old is not for the faint of heart. I'm closer to 66 than 65 and I just can't get that thru my head. It does have some perks tho, so hang in there, sit back and enjoy the ride!!
  • janetr7476
    Options
    cory17 wrote: »
    so many posts, so little time, you ladies are amazing!
    cheri - going to try your plantar taping - but why 3 times around the heel?
    Margaret - the bad day stories were great, i'm thankful to be alive.
    mom216 - what my mom likes about being older mid 80s, she used to be shy, but now says she can get away with saying anything to anybody.
    janet - have you tried water walking?

linda in calif

Yes, I'm doing water aerobics 3-4 or more times and week and I do enjoy that. But sometimes I'd like to switch it up or if the pool is closed due to thunder storms, etc. :)
  • janetr7476
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Pip - wears me out just reading your stats. You are the bomb. Maybe I need to challenge myself a little further.

If that gives u inspiration, ok !

Pip, I think it gives me a whole lot of what I should or could be doing when I'm sitting here thinking I want something to do. I'll never get to where you are, but I won't get past where I am if I don't get up and move it. Thanks.

• janetr7476
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Barbie - I was walking one my treadmill everyday will the weight was coming off, but my knees got too bad to continue. My knees have been bone on bone for several years. I had the right knee replaced in January and will have the left done in Sept. Then I think I will do more. I was getting to really enjoy the walking. Part of the reason I lost the weight was to make the knee replacement easier. Doc told me I made knee replacement look easy. That's cuz they already hurt so badly for so long the surgery was not really much worse after the first couple of days.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll start slowly and add to.

Maybe you have someone who will let you get in their pool (or maybe you have a community pool). I've been getting into my son's pool and moving the entire time I am there; be it 30minutes to 120 or more. I really try to stay in it at least for 60 minutes. The past 3 or 4 days the water has been W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L!!! Great exercise with resistance. I have bad knees, too. They crunch when I straighten them out or when I bend them.

Grits, I definitely go to the pool. That's what the doc recommended of course. I really do enjoy that and I work hard. I for sure feel better and have built up some muscle tone. I usually go Mon thru Fri. Know what you mean with the crunching. Can't wait til the left one is as good as the new right one. I'll for sure be able to walk again then. I know my fur babies will be happy. Thanks.
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Nancy we've all been there done that. Don't beat yourself up, learn and move on. We're here to listen :)
  • janetr7476
    edited June 2015
    Options
    yanniejannie - Thanks for the cudos, it sure feels good :blush:

I am an insomniac and have been for years, therefore you may see my late postings. I try to never stay up past midnight anymore but when I go to bed that early I'm up very early in the morning. I used to stay up until 2 am and get up at 6 am. At least I'm sleeping about 6 hours now most of time now.

Night all and thanks for being here.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Terri_mom: I hear you on the idea of being put your of your misery when you’re no longer having fun. The thing I’ve discovered is that having fun doesn’t just happen on its own. It takes the right attitude, and a willingness to accept that bad things happen, too. Last summer lots of bad things happened to DH’s health and I had a stress induced melt down. :cry: : I had to change my attitude in order to be sane. I added “have fun every day” as a goal to help save myself. It seems to be working. So, my advice is choose to have fun and we won’t have to put you out of your misery. :devil: :laugh:

Miakoda: Congratulations on improving your lifestyle so much that you’ve potentially added 16 years to your life! :bigsmile:

Sylvia: Congratulations on finding and removing the mold from your studio! :flowerforyou:

Terri & Heather: My DD has gained a great deal of weight with each of her two pregnancies and she’s having trouble with her feet now. She knows about MFP and what she can do to improve her health. It won’t happen until she decides to make it happen. :noway:

Carol: I bought some women’s bike shorts to help my poor sit bones during my horseback riding lessons. Never once have I used them for riding a horse, but I now take a spin class and the bike shorts REALLY help. I got them on sale for about $20 and I wear loose pants over them because I’m a little self-conscious. :flowerforyou:

Carey: Tai Chi has done wonderful things for you! Congratulations on finding just the right thing for your health. :flowerforyou:

Pip: The bra cup size reveals boobage capacity, but the width shows how plump or slender you are. I went from a 38D to a 34C during this process. I don’t mind the smaller “girls” and I love the narrower band. My back feels so much better. Bliss! :smooched:

Janet: I’m happy that you’re planning to join me in the Women 90+ group when the time comes. :bigsmile: Did I ever mention that my mom’s name was Janet? I love that name. :heart:

Mom216: Your post made me smile. I think I love your mother! :bigsmile:

Grits: Michael is in my prayers. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    What happened, I paged down and all my post was gone! Well, it's bedtime so all my thoughts from today are some where in cyber land . If anyone knows how to get them, please bring them back.

Thanks for all your comments about my grand daughters!!!! Tomorrow I am going to have my bone density scan. I have never had one before. The storm system from Texas is affecting us now. Storm sirens have been going off all evening. I just hope our electricity does not go out. I do not wake up early like you girls do. I will need my alarm to get me up to get to this 10:30 appointment.

Welcome to all the newbies. Rosanne, what part of Indiana are you from if you don't mind me asking. I live in extreme southwestern Indiana down by the Ohio river.

Joyce K Indiana
  • mom216
    mom216 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Grits - many healing prayers for Michael & family
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Good morning; yawn....

I hope I don't get sick again. ALL three of my coworkers came in sick yesterday. It's a pet peeve of mine, people coming sick to work or gatherings and spraying their germs on ME. :s

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Made it through pig 48

Carey - Congrats on the 1 you smoke free. Purple pedicure - I like it.

Jules/Heather - I have a hard time letting people inside my "bubble".

Tomorrow is the gastrointestinal emptying. I am hoping to have the pieces of this health puzzle on Monday.
    Onwards.
  • elizabeth50inCalifornia
    Options
    Lumamar wrote: »
    I would love to join all you ladies in getting fit and losing weight. The getting fit is hard enough but I can not seem to get the scales to go in the down direction. I am currently training for a 1 week bicycle ride call "Ride Idaho" in August and a long weekend of backpacking the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) in July. I have been sedentary for so long that all this exercising is 'kicking my butt', just wish it would get smaller in the process!! I enjoyed reading this forum and looking forward to the extra motivation it provides. I have been a member of MFP for less than a month and have 20 lbs to lose and lots of muscle to build. B)

Marci
    Boise, Idaho

Marci, You are so lucky!! I wish I could do that hike with you. I live in Bakersfield and there is a section of the trail that passes right through the mountains just east of me. I was thinking of tackling that portion in the fall. Are you doing anything in particular to train for the hike? What is the altitude of the part that you will be hiking?

I'd love to hear more about it.

Elizabeth in CA
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    mom216 wrote: »
    I got pissed and called my Mom to ask what other delightful treats are coming down the road.......she laughed hysterically and hung up

Yes, when I sit back and read my pity party - I can actually find gratitude in all of it. I am just scared sh*tless by Mom's laugh - she knows something! >:)
    I'm grateful for my Mom and her attitude toward aging. Long ago when I started to go gray she told me I would LOVE my gray hairs for their springiness and body. And I do! After being diagnosed with chronic leukocytic leukemia she said "Everything over 80 is icing on the cake." She lives that philosophy every day. :heart:

Lenora - I'm sending good thoughts for your nephew.
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Just saying hi B)

Rosie
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,688 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    Hopping on while the internet is working.. I think we need a new modem....
    Well miracles do happen the DH is actually getting me an Ipad Mini 3 with accessories for my birthday..
    he said it is my birthday and christmas present.. but I will take what I can get....
    not working until noon, so will go see DFIL stop at Ocean Sate job lot to see if they have a large canvas bag for one of the residents down there... tomorrow I will get to the strawberry patch early and pick 6 quarts then go to my friend Carin's to make 24 more jars, then we are going to South Windsor to get stuff for Father's day...
    Bill will hopefully be starting the kitchen on tuesday.. here is hoping...
    Lenora~ keeping your nephew in my prayers..
    Pip~ Birthday is at the end of the month.. the 30th.. and I will be official in our 55 park in florida lol
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Good morning Everyone! :flowerforyou:

Welcome to all the new ladies! You will love this thread!

So's yesterday I pop in to do a little hob-nobbon with you all and your at 46 pages. :o Well this kind of thing happens when your away for a bit. So I read page 46 and was so excited by some of the newer ladies here ( Lisa TX...... YOU FORGOT AUSTRIA'S FLAG! ;) Thank you Katla for not forgetting lil ol me. :p ) Anyhoo I read 4 pages back just so I could get to know you all. And this new poopy pip person. lol

By the time I finish reading 4 pages, I've run out of time to say hello. Thinking no worries I will catch them in my morning. Lo and behold in my morning there is another 4 pages!! :Do:):p I am good but have never been great at being able to respond to each personally like so many of our lovely ladies are able to do. In order to do the short but sweet, and totally sincere...

Hi I am Sassy!! ( For those who dont know ;) )

And in closing;

Love the pups in the pool, Grand-daughters are gorgeous! Mountains are breath taking... Though my Alps are prettier. HaH! lol Bewbs, buck naked, moldy apples, sizzling temps, fabulous NSV's, selling homes, plus succulent recipes which I have snagged. Thank you!

Hugs all around for those that need them and those that dont. And for those that dont like them, gosh I am at loss. Hpow about a warm smile coupled with a mischevious wink. Mischevious cuz I am hugging you in my head. LOL

Boy have I missed this thread!

"If you do not consciously form good habits, you will unconsciously form bad ones."
    Sincerely,
    Sassy aus Austria
    • If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.

• Being Fat is Hard.
    Losing Weight is Hard.
    Maintenance is Hard.

Choose Your Hard.
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Eeeeuuuyuk, Sassy! I saw your profile pic (small version) and thought it was an omelette with a nice side of marinated grilled red bell pepper. Until I clicked on it... Not doin' that again!

I look forward to learning more about you and your pretty mountains :wink: