Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Lol yeah. I do feel different since i started it. Ill post before and after when im done. My stance is that its only 30 days. I can live with that.

My advice - and if you want to do a keto diet (which is pointless and often detrimental to goals if short term and not necessary or often beneficial in the long term), swap 100g of that protein for 50g fats.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I already am in a deficit. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/30-days-out-craig-capursos-extreme-cut-trainer-nutrition.html

That is the diet i am doing. Its really a cut

That is a terrible plan imo. I put my stats in - has me at 245g protein - totally unnecessary. The fats are horribly low (low fat = low test, low test = less ability to build muscle btw). Carbs are horribly low - and with such low fats, it is a bad idea imo.

Short term..meh....long term...terrible.
    Just read the article. If that is the plan he is following then he is doing it wrong anyway. It says as you decrease carbs you are supposed to increase fats. That said, if you are in a deficit and eating adequate protein (0.6 - 0.8 per pound bodyweight) and lifting, you will burn fat and retain muscle.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    And when a program or diet asks if you are an endomorph, mesomorph or ectomorph it is totally full of *kitten*.

yeah didn't that *kitten* get debunked over 9000 years ago

Not quite 9000 years ago, but if you look up how the idea was developed you'd laugh. A psychologist ranked people's looks by how they made him feel. It was attempts to use someone's build as a way to tell what their personality would be like without talking to them. Turned out there was no actual science behind it and his guesses about personality were wrong more often than not.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    Ive actually been following the plan as its written.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    And when a program or diet asks if you are an endomorph, mesomorph or ectomorph it is totally full of *kitten*.

yeah didn't that *kitten* get debunked over 9000 years ago

Not quite 9000 years ago, but if you look up how the idea was developed you'd laugh. A psychologist ranked people's looks by how they made him feel. It was attempts to use someone's build as a way to tell what their personality would be like without talking to them. Turned out there was no actual science behind it and his guesses about personality were wrong more often than not.
    Over 9000 is a Dragon Ball Z meme.
    Yeah, I apparently endomorphs sit around talking to each other about food, and are jolly like Santa clause. Ectomorphs don't eat because they're inside reading and being intellectuals. Mesomorphs are popular with everyone.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited June 2015
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I already am in a deficit. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/30-days-out-craig-capursos-extreme-cut-trainer-nutrition.html

That is a terrible plan imo. I put my stats in - has me at 245g protein - totally unnecessary. The fats are horribly low (low fat = low test, low test = less ability to build muscle btw). Carbs are horribly low - and with such low fats, it is a bad idea imo.

Just read the article. If that is the plan he is following then he is doing it wrong anyway. It says as you decrease carbs you are supposed to increase fats. That said, if you are in a deficit and eating adequate protein (0.6 - 0.8 per pound bodyweight) and lifting, you will burn fat and retain muscle.

The article says that - but when I put my stats in (and picked my somatoLOLtype) it gave me a range of fats between 4g and 44g per day - averaging at about 20g. So there is a varying range - its just a very low range.
  • senecarr
    Options

The article says that - but when I put my stats in (and picked my somatoLOLtype) it gave me a range of fats between 4g and 44g per day - averaging at about 20g. So there is a varying range - its just a very low range.
    There was a somatype option for awesome? I'm not sure how I use this thing.
  • usmcmp
    Options

I ran my stats too. 300g of protein (aint nobody got money fo' dat) and fats dipped as low as 5g per day which is only possible if you like eating bland food.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    lol. I didnt say i enjoy this by any means. I dont eat for pleasure anymore. It is on the ridiculous side, but ill do it and move on. My gym performance is still good and my strength is still where it was. It is expensive which sucks. Ive already seen improvement in my stomach so ill see where it takes me.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I *kitten* love eating

it's great
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It's expensive, you don't enjoy it, you agree that it is on the ridiculous side, but you're doing it anyway? Best of luck to you, my friend.

I can't fathom this either. Why in the world would someone want to do something that provides absolutely no benefit over a better, balanced diet when they know it's ridiculous even if it's only for 30 days?

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    First comment following article was about eating back exercise calories, and followup response said why, it's accounted for your workout already and your daily life.

Didn't sound right - looked again - only accounts for daily life, not your workouts at all.

Mine had me right about sedentary maintenance level eating, so exercise creates the deficit.

I was hoping to never find out my body type, bummer I broke my record and read their article on that to see.
    I wonder how useless that will be.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    First comment following article was about eating back exercise calories, and followup response said why, it's accounted for your workout already and your daily life.

Didn't sound right - looked again - only accounts for daily life, not your workouts at all.

Mine had me right about sedentary maintenance level eating, so exercise creates the deficit.

I was hoping to never find out my body type, bummer I broke my record and read their article on that to see.

Are you talking about what others here have suggested or that Bodybuilding.com article?

If you use the TDEE method on MFP you don't log exercise because TDEE includes exercise. If you use MFP's method you eat back your exercise calories.

I'm not really sure what you are talking about.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Are you talking about what others here have suggested or that Bodybuilding.com article?

If you use the TDEE method on MFP you don't log exercise because TDEE includes exercise. If you use MFP's method you eat back your exercise calories.

I think he's talking about the body building link. It's something I noticed too, it doesn't account for exercise at all, just your job. Apparently bb.com readers aren't expected to work out (or something).
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It's expensive, you don't enjoy it, you agree that it is on the ridiculous side, but you're doing it anyway? Best of luck to you, my friend.

I can't fathom this either. Why in the world would someone want to do something that provides absolutely no benefit over a better, balanced diet when they know it's ridiculous even if it's only for 30 days?

cuz Craig Capurso
  • usmcmp
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I think he's talking about the body building link. It's something I noticed too, it doesn't account for exercise at all, just your job. Apparently bb.com readers aren't expected to work out (or something).

Ah. The funny part about the nutrition calculator is that it is part of a training plan. They know people will be exercising (they wrote the workout plan, which is not a light and easy one), but the goal of not counting the exercise is to create a larger deficit.
  • senecarr
    Options

Maybe it is a plan for the Miscers?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Ah. The funny part about the nutrition calculator is that it is part of a training plan. They know people will be exercising (they wrote the workout plan, which is not a light and easy one), but the goal of not counting the exercise is to create a larger deficit.

Just looked at the calories if I were to follow it..starts at less 1,478 and ends at 1,178 - LOLNO!!!