Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    My belly is actually slimming getting my 6 pack back instead of a 4 pack. Im on a different knotch on my belt as well. Im not sure what to account for water weight and what is actually lost. When i started a bulk earlier this year, weighed 195 to 200. I stopped the bulk weighing between 215 to 220. I stopped the bulk for a couple weeks before starting the diet and i weighed 116 at the beginning of diet. Yesterday was 114. So some weight loss but nothing significant.

Are you getting your kgs and lbs mixed up there?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Why not? If you had the metabolism i do, maybe you would. Everyone is different. The only way to burn fat is to be in a deficit of some sort after everything is said and done. This diet provides a deficit and im not sure if i want to cut back my calories more though but we will see. Why? Because I can and has worked so far. Recomp is to reform and that is what im doing. Im not sure if i am gaining muscle right now but i dont think im losing any. Its not literally Hornsby, its figuratively like saying. And not even close to your analogy.
    The idea that there is a large variance in human metabolism is overstated. Chances are rather small that your metabolism is substantially different from Hornsby's.
    The proof that no one is mocking you will be that if this plan starts stalling and you come back, everyone here will re-offer advice instead of harping on how you didn't care to take the advice before.

I also doubt that his metabolism is lower than mine - him being male, heavier and very likely younger. I do not need an extremely low calorie diet to lose weight, so I am not sure why he would.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    sorry 216 and 214
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    So I know a recomp depends on a whole host of things, including how much body fat you have, how much weight you lift, how often you lift, how well you eat, and a bunch more. But in general--how long does it take to start seeing results from a recomp? 6 months? A year? Longer? I am in decent shape, always have been, but more from cardio. I am moderately strong, but have mostly done machines at the gym, resistance training and free weights for biceps and triceps only. Too much body fat, mostly on my thighs, back and triceps. Also, does age factor in?
    A woman i worked with went from 26% body fat to 16% body fat in 18 months. But she was extremely methodical with her eating (practically ate the same thing every day)

I was thinking about how slow recomp is. A 10% decrease in body fat over 18 months is probably not attainable for most people. I know everyone will have different results but any guesses on what the average would be? Or what would be attainable for most people?

I am guessing - based on physical appearance that I have lost about 2% body fat over the last 5 months. Am I correct in assuming that the longer I continue with this, the slower fat loss will be?

Final question - kinda not recomp related. Lets say 24 months from now I look absolutely perfect. People are writing songs about me, building statues, naming streets after me. My physical appearance really should not be changed but maintained. What kind of changes are made to a lifting program if you are just looking to keep things as they are?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    So I know a recomp depends on a whole host of things, including how much body fat you have, how much weight you lift, how often you lift, how well you eat, and a bunch more. But in general--how long does it take to start seeing results from a recomp? 6 months? A year? Longer? I am in decent shape, always have been, but more from cardio. I am moderately strong, but have mostly done machines at the gym, resistance training and free weights for biceps and triceps only. Too much body fat, mostly on my thighs, back and triceps. Also, does age factor in?
    A woman i worked with went from 26% body fat to 16% body fat in 18 months. But she was extremely methodical with her eating (practically ate the same thing every day)

I was thinking about how slow recomp is. A 10% decrease in body fat over 18 months is probably not attainable for most people. I know everyone will have different results but any guesses on what the average would be? Or what would be attainable for most people?

I am guessing - based on physical appearance that I have lost about 2% body fat over the last 5 months. Am I correct in assuming that the longer I continue with this, the slower fat loss will be?

Final question - kinda not recomp related. Lets say 24 months from now I look absolutely perfect. People are writing songs about me, building statues, naming streets after me. My physical appearance really should not be changed but maintained. What kind of changes are made to a lifting program if you are just looking to keep things as they are?

I'm not sure what an average would be or what would be attainable. It would depend on training level and body fat. An under trained individual would see faster results than someone who has been lifting for a few years. An individual who is leaner already would physically see changes faster, but a person with slightly higher body fat may gain more lean mass. Someone coming into recomposition after hard dieting will see rebound gains from lost mass.

As you continue the visual improvement will be more noticeable on a frequent basis. The fat loss doesn't necessarily slow as you get leaner, it becomes a matter of how you manage training and intake.

I don't know anyone who has reached their perfect physique. Most people want to be bigger, faster, stronger, leaner or whatever. Most people simply keep pursuing improvement. Maintenance requires more than most people think. You may drop volume slightly for lifting or continue at your current level, but it's not going to be a dramatic change in training.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

In addition - to the question of slower fat loss.

Most likely yes - because the ability to add more muscle becomes harder and harder the longer you train. And since it's the adding of muscle weight while burning extra fat weight, it means a slow down.

That's why if you have fat to lose to reasonable amount, it really benefits you to attempt to get as many newbie lifting gains as possible while losing fat and weight, and adding whatever muscle you happen to get.

How do you keep things things where they are?
    Don't progress. Don't add weight, don't add volume.
    The weight you stop with should get a tad easier and easier up to a point, then just keep plugging along.
    You'll be like the lady with the pink dumbbells, only a much more impressive amount of weight being used.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Why not? If you had the metabolism i do, maybe you would. Everyone is different. The only way to burn fat is to be in a deficit of some sort after everything is said and done. This diet provides a deficit and im not sure if i want to cut back my calories more though but we will see. Why? Because I can and has worked so far. Recomp is to reform and that is what im doing. Im not sure if i am gaining muscle right now but i dont think im losing any. Its not literally Hornsby, its figuratively like saying. And not even close to your analogy.
    The idea that there is a large variance in human metabolism is overstated. Chances are rather small that your metabolism is substantially different from Hornsby's.
    The proof that no one is mocking you will be that if this plan starts stalling and you come back, everyone here will re-offer advice instead of harping on how you didn't care to take the advice before.

And I am pretty sure an extremely low fat diet wouldn't be beneficial to a metabolism since dietary fats help regulate hormonal processes.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options

@heybales and @usmcmp addressed this very well. I did mention that the person I worked with was ridiculously and monotonously consistent with her eating. It was very similar to a bodybuilder (well maybe an old school one) where she literally at the same thing 5-6 days a week.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

In addition - to the question of slower fat loss.

Most likely yes - because the ability to add more muscle becomes harder and harder the longer you train. And since it's the adding of muscle weight while burning extra fat weight, it means a slow down.

That's why if you have fat to lose to reasonable amount, it really benefits you to attempt to get as many newbie lifting gains as possible while losing fat and weight, and adding whatever muscle you happen to get.

How do you keep things things where they are?
    Don't progress. Don't add weight, don't add volume.
    The weight you stop with should get a tad easier and easier up to a point, then just keep plugging along.
    You'll be like the lady with the pink dumbbells, only a much more impressive amount of weight being used.
    This made me lol.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,524 Member
    Options
    Question: how far can you get with bodyweight exercises? I'm pretty certain I won't have access to a gym soon anymore.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Question: how far can you get with bodyweight exercises? I'm pretty certain I won't have access to a gym soon anymore.

There are people with incredible physiques who have done mostly body weight. The trick to is make the movements harder over time. Pull ups can be weighted. Different types of lunges or squats that can be weighted or done with a single leg. A variety of push ups with increasing difficulty.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I just want to give a shout out to @LolBroScience for giving me great information on this subject as well as @usmcmp for starting this great thread. I just started a recomp and will come back to report my results in a few months. Keep up the excellent information and thanks all! :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    First comment following article was about eating back exercise calories, and followup response said why, it's accounted for your workout already and your daily life.

Didn't sound right - looked again - only accounts for daily life, not your workouts at all.

Mine had me right about sedentary maintenance level eating, so exercise creates the deficit.

I was hoping to never find out my body type, bummer I broke my record and read their article on that to see.
    I wonder how useless that will be.

Are you talking about what others here have suggested or that Bodybuilding.com article?

If you use the TDEE method on MFP you don't log exercise because TDEE includes exercise. If you use MFP's method you eat back your exercise calories.

I'm not really sure what you are talking about.

I think he's talking about the body building link. It's something I noticed too, it doesn't account for exercise at all, just your job. Apparently bb.com readers aren't expected to work out (or something).

Maybe it is a plan for the Miscers?

LOF'ingL

BTW - why are we (I use the term "we" loosely) discussing a cut in the recomp thread?

I wondered that back when he said he was in a deficit. I kept talking to help him see that a balanced plan will give him the same results. It's still not recomp.
    Is there an epic cutting / deficit thread like this? I'd enjoy a read over something like that.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Is there an epic cutting / deficit thread like this? I'd enjoy a read over something like that.

Great deficit thread (excellent recipe for success, IMHO) -- > http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Great deficit thread (excellent recipe for success, IMHO) -- > http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

Ah, yeah, I've seen that thread, I hadn't even thought of it as being such.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm at my desired weight and recently figured out my maintenance calories and plan on starting recomp to reduce body fat and build muscle. Good luck to all.
  • usmcmp
    edited June 2015
    Options

It's actually a thread about cutting disguised as a thread about losing belly fat.

In my opinion that one is better because it is easier to generalize advice for cutting than it is for recomp.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

It's actually a thread about cutting disguised as a thread about losing belly fat.

In my opinion that one is better because it is easier to generalize advice for cutting than it is for recomp.

But I also feel like a thread generalizing advice for cutting is asking for a lot of derp. I'm amazed how clean your thread remained, but I have to admit, I haven't gone in to see where the replies went in a long time.
  • usmcmp
    edited June 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

But I also feel like a thread generalizing advice for cutting is asking for a lot of derp. I'm amazed how clean your thread remained, but I have to admit, I haven't gone in to see where the replies went in a long time.

Most of the dissent comes from me saying I do cardio once or twice per week. While cutting, accurate intake and lifting should be prioritized over adding in cardio. I wasn't trying to tell people to skip cardio completely, but I was trying to make a point that cardio is not the key to cutting like many people think.

Part of the reason it has stayed clean is because I can explain my reason behind each point and most of them are flexible points. That means people can use those points and make them fit their lifestyle pretty easy.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    @usmcmp What do you think about cardio and recomps?