Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    There's absolutely no reason someone at maintenance would "burn muscle for fuel" though as some people seem to believe - your nutrition would have to be completely hopeless!
    I don't believe anyone said anything about burning muscle for fuel.
    My commentary was specifically if you were doing enough cardio to increase VO2Max. I would guess the adaptations and cellular synthesis that would have to happen for that, like making more red blood cells, would tie up some amount of synthesis that could be used towards building muscle cells, but I don't have much knowledge of what all happens to make cardiovascaular endurance and output increase.

Even lifting can improve VO2 Max, so improved VO2 Max doesn't mean less gains.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16307157
    Thanks. The study is untrained males and going from 26 to 30. I'm thinking more someone trying to get themselves down below 8 or 7 minute miles type increases.

It would have less to do with VO2Max and more to do with calorie intake versus body needs, protein intake, resistance training and recovery.
  • aranta_m
    aranta_m Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm new to the site (and the thread, obviously). I had a very bad knee injury a couple of months back and my doctor says that I need to lose some weight and get stronger. I'm currently at a healthy weight for my height, but since I stopped running, I've put on a bit of weight and started to lose motivation for exercising. Right now I'm going through physical therapy, but there's no "integral approach" to it: I just go, get the electrodes and the warm towel thing, do the repetitive leg lifts and that's about it. I'm hoping you can give me a hand with nutritional issues (what and how I should eat to have more strength and muscle) and maybe even some fun exercises.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you do too much cardio (really upping VO2max) even if staying at equal calories, won't it reduce hypertrophy? I see it as the body having a limited budget for remodeling the house - you're not getting a granite counter and a basement remodel at the same time.

You get what is called interference. This explains it (re cutting, but still relevance). Starts discussing it at 5:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmEJGR1_sZc

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    If you do too much cardio (really upping VO2max) even if staying at equal calories, won't it reduce hypertrophy? I see it as the body having a limited budget for remodeling the house - you're not getting a granite counter and a basement remodel at the same time.

You get what is called interference. This explains it (re cutting, but still relevance). Starts discussing it at 5:00
    <snip video>

Thanks.
  • senecarr
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

<snip>

This sounds exactly what I was thinking. That means it clearly must be true.

• Quarkles
    Quarkles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi, everybody! (Hi, Dr. Nick)
    I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with.
    Right now my weight is 147 lbs at 5'6. My initial goal weight was 140, but due to my still flabby stomach and thighs, I'm considering dropping the weight down to 135. However, doing a recomp sounds much more attractive rather than simply losing weight. I've been doing some form of weight lifting for approximately a year now.
    1. Should I move on to maintenance, or should I still run a deficit? Right now I have my deficit set for 1 lb/week loss, but wonder if I should instead set myself for TDEE - 10%.
    2. Right now I'm doing this program https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html using 15-20 lb dumbbells. Would this program be helpful for doing a recomp (progressing onto heavier weights, of course) or should I try a different program? (Strong Curves is looking mighty tempting. I've got a Hank Hill butt. That ain't right.)

If it helps, I can post a current picture.

Thanks a lot! You guys are awesome! :D
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Quarkles wrote: »
    Hi, everybody! (Hi, Dr. Nick)
    I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with.
    Right now my weight is 147 lbs at 5'6. My initial goal weight was 140, but due to my still flabby stomach and thighs, I'm considering dropping the weight down to 135. However, doing a recomp sounds much more attractive rather than simply losing weight. I've been doing some form of weight lifting for approximately a year now.
    1. Should I move on to maintenance, or should I still run a deficit? Right now I have my deficit set for 1 lb/week loss, but wonder if I should instead set myself for TDEE - 10%.
    2. Right now I'm doing this program https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html using 15-20 lb dumbbells. Would this program be helpful for doing a recomp (progressing onto heavier weights, of course) or should I try a different program? (Strong Curves is looking mighty tempting. I've got a Hank Hill butt. That ain't right.)

If it helps, I can post a current picture.

Thanks a lot! You guys are awesome! :D

1 - Could still run a minor deficit, 250 cal perhaps, but properly log any workouts so you aren't creating a bigger deficit by not eating those calories back. 10% will probably be about 250 anyway.
    2 - Full body, compound moves, progressively harder to give the body something to repair from. If it isn't repairing stronger and gaining muscle, it isn't going to recomp.

No cheek implants to use, huh? ;-)
  • Quarkles
    Quarkles Posts: 69 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

1 - Could still run a minor deficit, 250 cal perhaps, but properly log any workouts so you aren't creating a bigger deficit by not eating those calories back. 10% will probably be about 250 anyway.
    2 - Full body, compound moves, progressively harder to give the body something to repair from. If it isn't repairing stronger and gaining muscle, it isn't going to recomp.

Okay, so I've pretty much got the right idea of what to do then? Huzzah! I might try to add some of the glute workouts from Strong Curves to the dumbbell program I'm currently doing because of...y'know.
    heybales wrote: »
    No cheek implants to use, huh? ;-)

No implants, but there has been some joking about me needing a prosthetic butt for my DGS (Dimished Gluteal Syndrome).
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Are there any guidelines/information/steps on how to find my maintenance?
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    giusa wrote: »

Step 1: You can use a calculator to estimate your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) if your exercise is pretty consistent for the week: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ or set your goal to maintaining your weight on MFP, add exercise calories and eat what it recommends.

Step 2: Monitor your weight over a period over a period of time. Probably 1 month. If you losing weight you need more calories. If you are gaining weight you need less calories.

You will have to figure out how much is a normal fluctuation for you. It seems like a 5 pound range is pretty typical. But I have seen people with a 10 pound range.
  • anask4
    anask4 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Wow great thread! Would you guys recommend recomping if I am 20 years old, a male, and at a healthy weight (I am 5'6" and weigh 144lbs) but have a body fat percentage in the high teens? I have been lifting heavy for about a year. Currently I am cutting. I definitely want to add muscle mass when the time comes but currently I fear I have to much body fat to bulk.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    giusa wrote: »

Have you currently been losing weight?
    Need valid log in days over a 4 wk block of time. Don't want starting diet big water weight drop, or started lifting big water weight gain, or big sodium day before weigh-in, or really low prior.

Take that 4 wk worth of average eating level, so you need good stats - no skipped days or several meals - get as accurate as possible.

Lbs lost over the 4 wks x 3500 / 28 days = deficit to TDEE you must have had for whatever your average activity level was.

If that 4 wks was really different and not likely to be repeated activity level - then can't use it go forward, because that was TDEE for then, not now.
    If it is a routine and daily activity you'll be going forward with - there you go.

Average eaten + deficit = TDEE

After that, adjust as needed, taking in to account water weight gains don't mean you should adjust calorie levels.
  • erichknguyen
    erichknguyen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't have any research, but I'll post my results here. I've been recomping for about 2 years. I have chronic illness and eating at a deficit can be too much stress on my system.

On the left I was 125 lbs, 24% body fat according to the Eat, Train, Progress body fat estimation thread. On the right I'm still 125 lbs but 2 sizes smaller.

eratv3u3d0sb.png

e34ba407-6e5a-47d6-903c-59c82d5f512b_zps3cf7062a.png

Seriously amazing job!

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I don't have any research, but I'll post my results here. I've been recomping for about 2 years. I have chronic illness and eating at a deficit can be too much stress on my system.

On the left I was 125 lbs, 24% body fat according to the Eat, Train, Progress body fat estimation thread. On the right I'm still 125 lbs but 2 sizes smaller.

eratv3u3d0sb.png

e34ba407-6e5a-47d6-903c-59c82d5f512b_zps3cf7062a.png

dam gurl u fyne :joy:

props!
  • shrkrthcc
    shrkrthcc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    rageginger wrote: »
    @usmcmp thank you so much for this! I have been looking for recomp info, as I'm preparing to transition to maintenance and focus on recomp at that point. You break things down so simply, cutting away all the fluff that really comes down to personal preference, and it really clears up so much confusion. Thank you thank you thank you!
    Second that.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I found the thread for me!

After two slow years of gaining I'm finally back at my old weight and a healthy bmi (20.5). Unfortunatly, gaining the weight also resulted in increases in my waist. So basically right now I want to decrease my bf to look more fit without losing weight.
    I only recently started lifting in the form of body pump, but want to add some trx to my program as well.

1) Is it possible to do maintenance through body pump and trx without any "real" lifting? (It will probably be slow, but I just really like group classes)
    2) Any non meat proteine ideas? I seem to be unable to have enough of those in my diet.
  • senecarr
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    I found the thread for me!

After two slow years of gaining I'm finally back at my old weight and a healthy bmi (20.5). Unfortunatly, gaining the weight also resulted in increases in my waist. So basically right now I want to decrease my bf to look more fit without losing weight.
    I only recently started lifting in the form of body pump, but want to add some trx to my program as well.

1) Is it possible to do maintenance through body pump and trx without any "real" lifting? (It will probably be slow, but I just really like group classes)
    2) Any non meat proteine ideas? I seem to be unable to have enough of those in my diet.
    2. You can buy vital wheat gluten for fairly cheap and make your own seitan with it. The only thing is gluten is low in the amino acid lysine, so you need to pair with another food like soybeans, or supplement license (you can buy lysine supplements).
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Maintenence, sure, but a true recomp, probably not. Last year, I did lower my body fat but maintain my weight by doing body pump and TRX but didn't see significant muscle increase until I started lifting heavier than that.
    Greek yogurt, protein bars and powders, eggs, cottage cheese, tofu.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking this thread on and off because I'm not "there" yet but hope to be... but a thought just occurred to me. Perhaps it has already been asked and answered. If so, sorry I missed it.

Here's my question: Does one's body composition affect one's calorie requirements? I seem to remember that muscle burns more calories. But when I go to online calculators, they always give me how many calories I need to sustain my current weight without worrying about how much of the weight is muscle and how much is fat.

So, a related question: Doesn't that mean these calculators are inaccurate for some people?

thanks
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    awnurmarc wrote: »
    I've been tracking this thread on and off because I'm not "there" yet but hope to be... but a thought just occurred to me. Perhaps it has already been asked and answered. If so, sorry I missed it.

Here's my question: Does one's body composition affect one's calorie requirements? I seem to remember that muscle burns more calories. But when I go to online calculators, they always give me how many calories I need to sustain my current weight without worrying about how much of the weight is muscle and how much is fat.

So, a related question: Doesn't that mean these calculators are inaccurate for some people?

thanks
    The answer is Yes to both. The calculators are a starting point. Adjust as you have to. From what I understand you want to try to remain at the same weight and have a progressive overload weight training program as well during your recomp. Recomps take a long time. Measuring yourself will help you track the results.