Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    @samm471 - I'll add as a woman - you can't really discern something in a couple weeks anyway, as your BMR literally does change during the month. So 4 weeks minimum.

And recomp is slower than what you think - that good 3 month warning above is to maybe see any change, so got to get mentally set for it. Many of the comments through here have iterated that point.

If you don't gain weight, there is no fear you are gaining fat unless you stop all exercise - then for a brief moment while you lose improvements from exercise you could gain fat while weight stays the same.
    But if you lowered calorie intake to match activity level right when it changed, you'd lose water weight only.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Well, I'm sure there's some fat, but if I lost all of that there would be lose skin. It's like the areas that were filled with fat don't have the fat to hold them up anymore, so when I stand up they fall down. Hard to explain, but I'm sure there are a lot of women who know what I'm talking about.
    That sounds like loose skin. It can take up to two years after weight loss for loose skin to get about as good as it will get - some people will have it snap back sooner or better depending on age and possibly genetics (hate to use that word that way).

Well, it isn't just loose skin. Maybe I should call it flab.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A lot of good info here and made for some interesting reading but I didn't see anything regarding Body Recomp as it pertains to new lifters vs those who have been lifting for over a couple of years; with 'newbie gains' I can see Body Recomp being quite desirable..but long time lifters? Curiosity peaked
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    A lot of good info here and made for some interesting reading but I didn't see anything regarding Body Recomp as it pertains to new lifters vs those who have been lifting for over a couple of years; with 'newbie gains' I can see Body Recomp being quite desirable..but long time lifters? Curiosity peaked

I'm pretty sure it was touched on earlier. Newer lifters are going to see faster and better results than someone with years of experience. That would also depend on the type and quality of programming you followed as well as the actual effort put into it. Someone who has been screwing around in the gym for 5 years could make gains on an appropriate program with actual effort. It would also depend on what body fat percentage the person attempts to recomp at.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it was touched on earlier. Newer lifters are going to see faster and better results than someone with years of experience. That would also depend on the type and quality of programming you followed as well as the actual effort put into it. Someone who has been screwing around in the gym for 5 years could make gains on an appropriate program with actual effort. It would also depend on what body fat percentage the person attempts to recomp at.

I would agree with this. I was jerkin' around in the gym for a few months, loosely following a program that I did in college. When I went to a regimented, structured program, the gains certainly came quicker.

I lifted seriously for a while before following a program. There was a significant difference. Effort was the same, but following a well built program made the gains a bit faster.
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Well, of course I am jumping in as I am a big proponent of recomp (mainly because I know my mind isn't strong enough to handle bulk and cut cycles just yet.

Anyway, I have been recomping since January 2014. This is also the time I started lifting weights after losing 80lbs doing nothing but cycling. I was 36 years old at the time and hadn't lifted weights since high school.

In January, I started at 176lbs. I have been eating at maintenance or right around it since then based on scale weight as my weight still fluctuates between 173 and 181 depending. I do tend to eat more on lifting days (M, W, Thur, F) and less on off days. I also burn about 4000 calories per week on cardio (Cycling). Of course this fluctuates but 4000 is roughly the average. I try to eat right around 3200 calories daily which allows me to maintain my weight. ( a little more right now as the cardio is a bit higher )

When I started I was "skinny fat". Lost all the weight. Still wasn't happy. I knew I wouldn't be but didn't care as I had a plan to lose it first, then lift. That was the right way for me as it was the plan I knew I could stick to.

I am not sure on BF as I wasn't all that knowledgeable and am just not sure. Looking back, I would guess I was probably around 18-20% when I hit my goal weight? Not sure really and don't have any after pictures from that time as I knew I wasn't done. Now I sit right around 12% if I'm guessing.

Measurements
    Biceps - Before 13" - After 15.75".
    Chest - Before 38.5" - Now 42.75"
    Waist - Before 35.5" - Now 31"

I can't remember my leg measurements as they haven't changed a ton and have only grown about an inch or so in the quads. Will update with calf and quads when I get home. Don't have the info handy.

Strength gains
    Bench - Before - 135lbs - After 255lbx3 is the best I've done. Haven't truly maxed lately.
    Squat - Before - unsure - After 325lbx5
    OHP - Before - 80lbs - After 185x5
    DL - Before - Unsure - After 305x5

My plan is to continue on with what I am doing. I can honestly say that at this point, I have no intention of doing a bulk and cut cycle as I am happy with the results I have had and haven't really thought it was that slow of a process. I will just continue to eat a lot of food, ride a lot bikes, and lift a lot of heavy *kitten* and see where it takes me.

Nice work man, those are some sweet results!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I was jerking around in the gym, but had tried several plans (fm fitness mags) w/poor results. I started w/a more disciplined plan and am starting to see results. An example is I tried for years (off & on) to do captain's chair raises and couldn't do nary a one; now I can do 3 sets of 12 reps--progress. Rome wasn't built in a day and those looking for quick results are looking in the wrong place. My goal is to become stronger, reduce body fat and build muscle. B)
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I would agree with this. I was jerkin' around in the gym for a few months, loosely following a program that I did in college. When I went to a regimented, structured program, the gains certainly came quicker.

I lifted seriously for a while before following a program. There was a significant difference. Effort was the same, but following a well built program made the gains a bit faster.

@usmcmp / @asflatasapancake - I'm looking for a good program. I weight train 3 times a week but not following a program. I'm not wild about Strong Lifts 5 x 5.

My goal is to get definition. Can you please direct me?

Please advice.

Thanks so much.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

@usmcmp - I'm looking for a good program. I weight train 3 times a week but not following a program. I'm not wild about Strong Lifts 5 x 5.

Please advice.

Thanks so much.

Check out the free programs on Bodybuilding.com, they come with videos for the exercises. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan.html

New Rules of Lifting for Women is another great place to start. They teach you a lot.
  • runner475
    Options

@usmcmp - I'm looking for a good program. I weight train 3 times a week but not following a program. I'm not wild about Strong Lifts 5 x 5.

Please advice.

Thanks so much.

Check out the free programs on Bodybuilding.com, they come with videos for the exercises. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan.html

New Rules of Lifting for Women is another great place to start. They teach you a lot.

Thanks so much
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Runner475, I do the following:

Mon: Chest, Biceps, Abs

Wed: Shoulders, Back, Triceps, Abs

Fri: Legs/Glutes, Abes

Do 4 sets of 4 to 6 reps as heavy as I can w/good form.

Follow up each workout w/abt 15 - 20 min of cardio (w/at least one session being HIIT).

I'm slowly starting to see results (I can lift heavier weights); I'm older so the muscle gains will probably take a little long. B)
  • runner475
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »

Follow up each workout w/abt 15 - 20 min of cardio (w/at least one session being HIIT).

I'm slowly starting to see results (I can lift heavier weights); I'm older so the muscle gains will probably take a little long. B)

Thanks so much. :)
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Anytime; we're all here to support one another! B)
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    @TigerNY128 Start lifting now and up your calories. At 5'7" and 134, you are pretty light and may find that you actually don't want to lose 10 more pounds once you start seeing things tighten up. After trying to lose those "last ten" for several years, I am having the bizarre experience of staying the same weight while my body gets better and smaller. Letting go of the weight goal is a really big mental adjustment, but I suggest you take photos and measurements and give it a shot. IMHO, the thrill of seeing the weight on the barbell go up is more fun than seeing the scale go down! :smile:
  • griffinca2
    Options
    CJMQ, Yep!! Finally can do bi curls w/a 15 lb DB & curls w/a 30 lb BB along w/50 lb BBs for the deadlift and BB row--progress. Trick is to try and do exercises w/next weight up (even if it's only one or two reps). B)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »

Thanks so much. :)

Just a recommendation.
    That type of program with basically 1 body part a week is usually for advanced lifters who are pretty maxed out on improvements - they are slow and far between for them, so they require this kind of concentration.

If just starting out, meaning under a year, you'll get much more bang for you time-buck by doing each body part 3 x weekly. That program for a beginner will have much slower results from it.
    It's been a fad lately to spread lifting out like that, with no good reason, and much research showing it's not nearly as beneficial.

So basically full-body 3 x weekly if you have 3 days with longish time. Compound moves that engage many muscles at once.
    Like don't waste limited workout time on tricep kickbacks when bench press, shoulder press, incline, ect all work the tricep already. If time at end, sure, throw it in.

If you have 6 days weekly and shortish time, then a 2-day split of either upper/lower body or push / pull routines, done 3 x weekly, would hit the same goal.

Volume. Taken care of by frequency and duration.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Instructions.html
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am also Doing this too , the one muscle group each day , well I'm starting on Monday surely you will still see a difference even if you are a beginner at lifting ?
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »
    I am also Doing this too , the one muscle group each day , well I'm starting on Monday surely you will still see a difference even if you are a beginner at lifting ?
    Beginning lifters will get more "bang for your buck" doing a full-body routine 3x a week.
    Edit: Didn't read @heybales post before replying so I'm just repeating what's been said with much better reasoning and explanation.

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,367 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

If you have 6 days weekly and shortish time, then a 2-day split of either upper/lower body or push / pull routines, done 3 x weekly, would hit the same goal.

Well whaddya know? I'm doing it right.